HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What a failure Steve Violetta has been ...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2007, 11:50 PM
  #1
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,288
vCash: 500
What a failure Steve Violetta has been ...

Every thing he has been asked to do ... he has failed

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:17 AM
  #2
PredDave
Registered User
 
PredDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
Normally I try not to be too much of a pessimist, but I agree that the marketing folks with the Predators organization have not done an exceptional job with this market (since about year 2 or 3).

I don't know the background on who peed in who's cornflakes (to turn off the business community years ago). But, they better right the ship and kiss some booty if they expect to be here long term.

I understand that NASCAR, NFL, and even college football / basketball appear to be higher priorities for most in Nashville, but I refuse to believe that we can't have the same electricity and buzz in this town as we did in the first 2 - 3 years of the Predators' franchise. The Nashville Arena was AMAZING in season 1 (even while we were getting blown out by other teams).

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of advertising for the Predators during non-game time TV slots. You NEVER see a Predators commercial on anything other than FSN and never while a game is not being played, etc....

Oh well, I try to spread the word to my friends / family on how exciting hockey is for this town, but the corporate support must be gained by folks like Violetta et al. Otherwise, we're toast!

</steppingDownFromSoapBox>

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:54 AM
  #3
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
I think this change was already in place before Violetta joined the organization. Gaylord changed its stance quickly after they got a new CEO. I wonder if Nissan steps up to the plate and puts their name on the arena. Doubtful though, I've heard that they are tight with their money and I believe they're the only big car maker without arena naming rights.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:57 AM
  #4
PredDave
Registered User
 
PredDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 938
vCash: 500
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....703080410/1028

Dell & Nissan's stance:

Nissan and Dell are among the companies most bandied about as potential naming rights partners.

"The Predators approached us last summer and it's not going to be us," Nissan spokesman Fred Standish said Wednesday. "It really doesn't fit with a lot of our marketing stuff and general overall strategy."

A spokesman for Dell did not immediately return phone messages.

PredDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:09 AM
  #5
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....703080410/1028

Dell & Nissan's stance:

Nissan and Dell are among the companies most bandied about as potential naming rights partners.

"The Predators approached us last summer and it's not going to be us," Nissan spokesman Fred Standish said Wednesday. "It really doesn't fit with a lot of our marketing stuff and general overall strategy."

A spokesman for Dell did not immediately return phone messages.
Hopefully this helps the process:

"We would ordinarily recommend a venue to do exactly what (the Predators) are doing," said Shawn Bradley, vice president of The Bonham Group, a Denver-based marketing firm. Bradley has spearheaded arena naming rights deals for corporations.

"Go to the trouble to change the name back to a generic name because that will make it more palatable for a new partner to come in and begin to distance itself from Gaylord," Bradley said.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
  #6
vopatsrash
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 578
vCash: 500
I think it's time for the Pink Taco to step up to the plate, since they failed on their first attempt. At least it would change the angle on HF's nashville arena name jokes.

Pink Taco Gardens. Let's do this.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:27 AM
  #7
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredDave View Post
Normally I try not to be too much of a pessimist, but I agree that the marketing folks with the Predators organization have not done an exceptional job with this market (since about year 2 or 3).

I don't know the background on who peed in who's cornflakes (to turn off the business community years ago). But, they better right the ship and kiss some booty if they expect to be here long term.

I understand that NASCAR, NFL, and even college football / basketball appear to be higher priorities for most in Nashville, but I refuse to believe that we can't have the same electricity and buzz in this town as we did in the first 2 - 3 years of the Predators' franchise. The Nashville Arena was AMAZING in season 1 (even while we were getting blown out by other teams).

I think one of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of advertising for the Predators during non-game time TV slots. You NEVER see a Predators commercial on anything other than FSN and never while a game is not being played, etc....

Oh well, I try to spread the word to my friends / family on how exciting hockey is for this town, but the corporate support must be gained by folks like Violetta et al. Otherwise, we're toast!

</steppingDownFromSoapBox>
Agreed here. The Predators did exceptional work the first few seasons. Now they think that the product alone will do the work. Ideally, yes that would work. But factor in that the league gets ZERO coverage nationally and our local coverage leaves much to be desired. Most people have NO IDEA how good our team is. And yes, if they were REAL hockey fans (yes Canadian fans, this was directed at you), they'd know. But this line of thinking does no good for our league, especially in non-traditional markets.

The Predators need to step it up and go the extra mile in terms of promotion and advertising. Yes they do cool stuff like college night and $2 beer thru the first intermission. That stuff is great. But how much do they advertise this? Unless you watch FSN you probably don't find this out.

Its Violetta's and co.'s job to get the corporate support. But you have to have great marketing to create a buzz in the corporate sector.

Now, some Playoff Success would hopefully go a very long way here.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:32 AM
  #8
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
As for arena naming rights, here's a list of companies based in Nashville with over $1 billion in annual revenue (from Wikipedia (sorry, quick research)):

* Bridgestone Americas Holding (Bridgestone-Firestone)
* CBRL Group (in Lebanon, Tennessee)
* Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation (finance arm of Caterpillar Inc.)
* Central Parking Corporation
* Community Health Systems Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Corrections Corporation of America
* Delek US Holdings, Inc (in Franklin, Tennessee)
* Genesco Inc.

* Iasis Healthcare LLC (in Franklin, Tennessee)
* Ingram Industries Inc.
* LifePoint Hospitals Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Louisiana-Pacific Corporation
* Nissan North America Inc. (as of summer 2006)
* Tractor Supply Co. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Vanguard Health Systems Inc.

Man, we could have a field day with some of these.

Tractor Center
Central Parking Arena
Corrections Center

As for Dell above, I read on the Predators official boards that Dell has operations in Austin, Ottawa, and OKC and they do nothing in terms of corporate support. One person said that they do a minor league baseball thing in Austin, but that is their headquarters. I doubt they'd do anything here.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:51 AM
  #9
Hazeltherabbit
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Personaly I think Violetta has been a failure too. I don't know this guy's track record but he seems to be a lemon for this club. I have brought this up before, but when he went on tv last year, just complaining like an angry father about the corporate sponsors, I was embarassed. I think we need a hot shot director of sales. Someone with massive sports marketing skills that understands the southern market. Being a big mouthed northerner (no offence intended) is not going to go over very well when trying to sell tickets to southern companies.

Hazeltherabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
  #10
Fraserburn
Registered User
 
Fraserburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Forest, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Most people have NO IDEA how good our team is. And yes, if they were REAL hockey fans (yes Canadian fans, this was directed at you), they'd know. But this line of thinking does no good for our league, especially in non-traditional markets.

The Predators need to step it up and go the extra mile in terms of promotion and advertising. Yes they do cool stuff like college night and $2 beer thru the first intermission. That stuff is great. But how much do they advertise this? Unless you watch FSN you probably don't find this out.

Its Violetta's and co.'s job to get the corporate support. But you have to have great marketing to create a buzz in the corporate sector.

Now, some Playoff Success would hopefully go a very long way here.
I resent that! I know damn well how good the Predators are

as far as marketing goes I'd like to know what the Marketing Dept Budget is. They say you got to spend money to make money.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
As for arena naming rights, here's a list of companies based in Nashville with over $1 billion in annual revenue (from Wikipedia (sorry, quick research)):

* Bridgestone Americas Holding (Bridgestone-Firestone)
* CBRL Group (in Lebanon, Tennessee)
* Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation (finance arm of Caterpillar Inc.)
* Central Parking Corporation
* Community Health Systems Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Corrections Corporation of America
* Delek US Holdings, Inc (in Franklin, Tennessee)
* Genesco Inc.

* Iasis Healthcare LLC (in Franklin, Tennessee)
* Ingram Industries Inc.
* LifePoint Hospitals Inc. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Louisiana-Pacific Corporation
* Nissan North America Inc. (as of summer 2006)
* Tractor Supply Co. (in Brentwood, Tennessee)
* Vanguard Health Systems Inc.

Man, we could have a field day with some of these.

Tractor Center
Central Parking Arena
Corrections Center

As for Dell above, I read on the Predators official boards that Dell has operations in Austin, Ottawa, and OKC and they do nothing in terms of corporate support. One person said that they do a minor league baseball thing in Austin, but that is their headquarters. I doubt they'd do anything here.


I can only imagine what Cellblock 303 would do in a building named the Nashville Corrections Center

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:27 AM
  #11
Testify
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 489
vCash: 500
Corrections Center


Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:50 AM
  #12
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Honestly, I cannot believe that most companies even sponsor arenas. Personally, I don't feel it to be a worthwhile venture, and I certainly agree with Nissan's stance. They are a great company with a very strong marketing presence, so it's refreshing to see my feelings vindicated. I just wish we had a few ego-driven, foolish corporations like GM in this town that are willing to do things that don't make sense financially.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:50 AM
  #13
Olaf
Registered User
 
Olaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Norway
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash View Post
I think it's time for the Pink Taco to step up to the plate, since they failed on their first attempt. At least it would change the angle on HF's nashville arena name jokes.

Pink Taco Gardens. Let's do this.

That is great....
Man, hope we get a Pink Taco here.

The Nashville Arena already looks a little like a taco, coupled with taco nights it is a great fit.

Olaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
  #14
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
I resent that! I know damn well how good the Predators are
No, locally. My company got a box for a game and during the day, someone asked me "So how are the Predators doing this year...". The person keeps up with sports too. They were rather shocked when I told them at the time we were the #1 team in the NHL.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
  #15
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
I can only imagine what Cellblock 303 would do in a building named the Nashville Corrections Center
Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) was approached about sponsoring cellblock 303....they cannot sponsor anything because some federal contracts they have that prevent sponsorships.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:54 PM
  #16
Fraserburn
Registered User
 
Fraserburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Forest, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) was approached about sponsoring cellblock 303....they cannot sponsor anything because some federal contracts they have that prevent sponsorships.
I figured something like that would stop them
I wonder if there are any public/private security companies or law enforcement organizations that would sponsor something like that

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
  #17
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson View Post
Corrections Corporation of America (CCA) was approached about sponsoring cellblock 303....they cannot sponsor anything because some federal contracts they have that prevent sponsorships.
What's with your generic playoff Av? Come on, name-brand! Don't buy your avatars at K-Mart!

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:45 PM
  #18
mmneely932
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clarksville, Tn
Country: United States
Posts: 136
vCash: 500
I cast my vote for Caterpillar Financial Services Corporation; then we could call it
THE CAT HOUSE
or if we were losing, the litter box.

mmneely932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:24 AM
  #19
predperson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
What's with your generic playoff Av? Come on, name-brand! Don't buy your avatars at K-Mart!
two reasons:
I'm out of town and so I haven't taken the time.
Also, I was trying to be nice and wait 'til others made their selections, then I'll pick one.

predperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.