HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalev story hit newspapers

Old
03-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
btw, I reject genetics as heresy.
As I'm sure your daughters do too.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:57 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
As I'm sure your daughters do too.
I must be slipping, I should've anticipated that one.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Knowing something doesn't make it ok to write. You saw the Ribeiro thread yesterday. I've heard enough gossip about players/coaches, plus I've heard enough from my Dad that I know players aren't angels, and never have been. Knowing it and even posting it are different things. There has to be a line. The line seems more blurry now, but there still has to be one.

A writer who follows the team has to be smart, undersatnd what's fair game, what's not. It doesn't make him a tough journalist because he knows who sleeps with whom. Every fan hears that stuff.
I think it's kind of a Santa Clause for sports journalism. I mean, maybe some of the elves at the North Pole know what Santa does in his spare time the other 364 days of the year, but they aren't going to do any good by spreading tales around. We never hear about anything. Not even anything mundane and harmless. Santa is a big part of our culture, he's an idol, a symbol of something good that lots of people will look up to, quite independent of his real life personality and activities. And on top of that, those elves make their livings working for him, so why ever bite the hand that feeds?

Meanwhile, anybody who has been even remotely near the game of hockey and lived a little bit in the real world has a pretty good hunch about what goes on anyway. Do we really need it confirmed in print? Or is it basically just the rubbernecking at the ensuing carnage that we enjoy? Us peasants always derive some atavisitc(*) pleasure from watching some members of the royalty get torn down.

* = not talking about recessive genes here or anything, btw, since I know you don't believe in them!

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4Lyfe View Post
sort of an update on the situation...

http://www.habsinsideout.com/2007/03..._journalist_1/
"In an interview on XM Radio, Regina Sevostianova says that if you read the story in Russian, Guy Carbonneau's name never appears and she said Kovalev never said Carbonneau doesn't like Russian players. Instead, Kovalev simply said the Canadiens could have played better over the last couple of weeks, which is entirely true."

"У меня такое ощущение, и многие говорят об этом – журналисты, болельщики, что этот тренер не любит русских. Это на самом деле так... Это видно по тому, как он относится к нам. По сравнению с тем, как он относится к «французам». И мы ничего не можем сделать."

"I have a feeling, a lot of people r talking about that - journalists, fans - this coach doesn't like russians. It's true... U can see it when u look how he treats us and how he treats "french players". and there is nothing we can do about it"

So, where is the "poor translation"? Total BS!!!

CCCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Habnot

Quote:
Knowing something doesn't make it ok to write. You saw the Ribeiro thread yesterday. I've heard enough gossip about players/coaches, plus I've heard enough from my Dad that I know players aren't angels, and never have been. Knowing it and even posting it are different things. There has to be a line. The line seems more blurry now, but there still has to be one.

A writer who follows the team has to be smart, undersatnd what's fair game, what's not. It doesn't make him a tough journalist because he knows who sleeps with whom. Every fan hears that stuff.
I think the hard part of journalism is to put aside personal feelings/motivations aside and abide by professional journalistic standards. As the New York Times has learned the hard way (good reputations are hard and long to come by, easily and quickly lost) reporters can easily get off track because they believe or have an ulterior motive. If you read various news sources, it's apparent that news can slant left or right - taking different meaning from the same action. The Washington Times will never right something good about Democrats - is that factual because they say so? They will quote and standby journalistic standards. But how hard is it to come up with two corroborating views where everyone is a paid lobbyist?

Gagnon says "on nous prend pour des valise". I think LaPresse is guilty of that. Gagnon was incredulous that society does not trust newspapers/reporters. How dare we doubt the journalistic integrity of Brunet or Labbe or Blanchard or Tremblay. Why, because we know the spin. We never get the facts, we get the spin. When members of his sports reporting team compares the Canadiens organization to organized crime and Kovalev to a "godfather", does anyone doubt which side LaPresse columnists are leaning? Does anyone need clarification what LaPresse has to gain?

Kovalev does not get LaPresse's benefit of the doubt, he is Russian therefore he must be a liar. He doens't produce on the ice, so he is a cheater - like all the other Russians. He is Russians, therefore he must hate Quebecers and so on....But how come all the other reliable news organization have distanced themselves from this story.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Berkut

Send a message via MSN to Berkut
On a sidenote, the only inconsistancy in Kovalev's version seem to be the fact that at the begining he says he only gave interviews to Sovsport then later aknolages he gave an interview to this woman. I just want to say that she works for radio Mayak, football-hockey magazine and Sovsport too.

Berkut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 03:46 PM
IcemanTBI

Honestly, they don't care whether or not the interview was real or fake. When the Habs play lousy, like they have for quite some time now, the media needs a whipping boy! Sadly, thats Kovy... we're playing like crap, well, blame it on the russians!

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:21 PM
Slitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
What audio interview? Is there a tape there? Team 990 must be wrong when they said that there was no tape of the interview?
Part of the interview is availble in audio form, word for word as in the print transcript. It is undeniable that the interview with Sevost'yanova did, infact, occur.

Has Kovalev been telling the Montreal media that he outright did not give this interview or that what he said was misunderstood? Or has he said both?

Slitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slitty View Post
Part of the interview is availble in audio form, word for word as in the print transcript. It is undeniable that the interview with Sevost'yanova did, infact, occur.

Has Kovalev been telling the Montreal media that he outright did not give this interview or that what he said was misunderstood? Or has he said both?
He said he gave a short interview to her about the world championship but that's it.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
CaptCrunch

Quote:

Saturday, after reading the article on the blackberry, he said that he did not know Football-Hockey and that he did not know anything about Sevost'yanova.

On monday, he admitted that they talked on the 24th about the world championship for a radio interview but that's it. He alluded that Football-Hockey was a crap paper that printed lies, that everything was invented, that nobody read Football-Hockey in russia and that the only paper he gave interview for is soviet something.

Samsonov also said that a number of russian journalists are smoking crack and inventing stuff to sell papers, that its common and that we should not be surprised about it.

CaptCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 12:25 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:

No, Kovalev is not denying that he gave the interview to Sevost'yanova. He originally denied that he gave the interview to the Hocket-Football magazine based on the translation that appeared in La Presse. A Russian translator for La Presse rendered Sevost'yanova's article into the french language. Kovalev denies most of what was printed in La Presse. Sevost'yanova says the La Presse translator rendered an inaccurate translation. The crux of the matter is that there is, as yet, no audio tape to corroborate the inflammatory statements attributed to Kovalev.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:

Sure, I'm actually glad the guy paid for it. I hate gossip, it's why I did'nt name the player.

My point was that thinking that the russian journalist will get a backlash because of this story is not a critic of the freedom of press of Russia or of Russia in general. Here too you have to take care of your relations among the hockey world.

She made a "mistake"; When Kovalev gave her this interview on radio, he could'nt know that she'd make a transcript and publish it on his newspaper internet site. He would'nt have allowed it, she could (should?) have realized that he could get in troubles with what he said there. When you make such problems to the national team's captain, there will be a backlash from the other players and people in the hockey world.

Beatnik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 02:13 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Sure, I'm actually glad the guy paid for it. I hate gossip, it's why I did'nt name the player.

My point was that thinking that the russian journalist will get a backlash because of this story is not a critic of the freedom of press of Russia or of Russia in general. Here too you have to take care of your relations among the hockey world.

She made a "mistake"; When Kovalev gave her this interview on radio, he could'nt know that she'd make a transcript and publish it on his newspaper internet site. He would'nt have allowed it, she could (should?) have realized that he could get in troubles with what he said there. When you make such problems to the national team's captain, there will be a backlash from the other players and people in the hockey world.
Please go threw what Russian posters said... She has her own radio show, she works for the most reliable russian papers, there's not a single monkey that cares about this story in Russia......... saying Kovy.. lol.. Fetisov.. master lol... said they would destroy her, is sooooooo stupid.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
Please go threw what Russian posters said... She has her own radio show, she works for the most reliable russian papers, there's not a single monkey that cares about this story in Russia......... saying Kovy.. lol.. Fetisov.. master lol... said they would destroy her, is sooooooo stupid.
But but isn't Kovalev the Godfather?

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
Haddock

I guess it has been mentionned before in the millions of Kovy threads already, but let's see anyway.

Anybody else here caught guys like Luc Robitaille and Éric Bélanger talk about their then teammate Sean Avery on CKAC after Avery's "french guys with visors" comment? They both pretty much called him a dolt on live radio. Players from different background than the english one often go on radio shows in their own country/province and feel a little more comfortable discussing their careers and the affairs of their team when they pretty much know that since it's radio in another language, it's probably not going to end up anywhere else that matters.

Kovy did a radio interview in Russian, to Russians, back in Russia. He was comfortable and spoke freely. Unbeknownst to him, his words end up in a printed magazine and cross the Atlantic. The local media, as usual just aching to steer some ***** up, finds out about it and goes ballistic. The people in Russia who didn't want to put Alex in trouble in the first place take a step back. Seems like a very plausible scenario. Blame La Presse for steering ***** up fine, but don't absolve Kovy without any doubts.

Haddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
BORAT

I vote Mcphee go back in time and replace that Hand ball she was holding with a bomb '' bugs bunny '' style

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 07:54 PM
Shabutie

Quote:

So you're saying that he did say those things?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
paddy

I don't care if he did say those things or not. Most of what is said, though, makes a lot of sense just through observation (untinted by bias).

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Berkut

So basically there's a tape where Kovalev talks about the WC in Moscow, which he did not deny, he said it was a few minutes thing, she wished him happy birthday and they talked about the WC. For all we know the rest of the "interview" could have been fabricated, so still no proof of anything...

Old
03-07-2007, 09:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkut View Post
So basically there's a tape where Kovalev talks about the WC in Moscow, which he did not deny
Not entirely true, Kovalev did initially deny speaking to the reporter at all and later rescinded his story to say he did in fact speak with the reporter. Some people use that as pure concrete proof that Kovalev said what he said because if he had nothing to hide, he wouldn't have denied talking to the reporter in the first place.

Some people should also live in padded rooms though.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:40 PM
Berkut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Not entirely true, Kovalev did initially deny speaking to the reporter at all and later rescinded his story to say he did in fact speak with the reporter. Some people use that as pure concrete proof that Kovalev said what he said because if he had nothing to hide, he wouldn't have denied talking to the reporter in the first place.

Some people should also live in padded rooms though.
Actually if I recall corectly, the first thing he said was he never gave an interview to that paper, that he only gives interviews to Sovsport, but like I said in an earlier post, that woman works for Sovsport too...It's easy to get confused, give the guy some slack.

Old
03-08-2007, 07:28 AM
Ross MacLochness

In a Gazette article this morning Henri Richard and Cournoyer tear up the Montreal media. That read just made my day. Can't wait for the media-apologists' excuses.

"It's the same everywhere throughout the league..."
"They are just doing their jobs.."
"That's the price for being a hockey player..."

and on and on.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:47 AM
PockIsGoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slip Slidin' Slim View Post
In a Gazette article this morning Henri Richard and Cournoyer tear up the Montreal media. That read just made my day. Can't wait for the media-apologists' excuses.

"It's the same everywhere throughout the league..."
"They are just doing their jobs.."
"That's the price for being a hockey player..."

and on and on.

Yeah, but these two guys have real impact. People respect the Old Habs alot. I wonder what Bertrand Raymond will have to say about that, or that dumbass Durocher from the Journal de Montreal.

PockIsGoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Gavin24

guineas

Gavin24 is offline   Reply With Quote