HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #5 | Flyers 2 at Rangers 4 (Injury report: Grossmann is out for Game 6)

Old
04-27-2014, 02:37 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
If Gus starts Tuesdsy, Berube is basically saying he screwed up today.
Nothing wrong with admitting a mistake

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:38 PM
south jersey flyer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
The fact that we have 14.50M per year tied up in Lecavalier, Streit, and Hartnell for eternity pretty much insures this team can't win a cup...too much cap room tied into players that aren't earning it. Sad but true
I like what Streit has done this season. I'm right there with you on Lecavalier and Hartnell though.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:39 PM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I agree, you think he'll do it? I think Chief is too stubborn.

SAINDON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
south jersey flyer

Quote:
In fact, that is a sign of maturity.

Old
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
I agree, you think he'll do it? I think Chief is too stubborn.
I ****ing hope so.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Streit is earning his pay, that what guys like him make. Vinny and Harts have been brutal though , 10 mill for those two hurts bad in a cap world.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
I agree with you, I just think todays loss had more to do with so many players playing like **** than it did coaching decisions. Berube doesn't put them in the best position to win, but they didn't help themselves at all.
Well, I mean the roster isn't an elite roster to begin with and it's supposed to be a closely contested series to begin with. So if the coach is setting them up to fail to an extent from the start then chances are they're going to fail at times. We needed goals this game and throughout the first two periods our heaviest played forwards were our shutdown ones then even after all three periods some of our best offensive players had pathetic ice-time. Then you have a guy like Laughton sitting for Rinaldo, Gustafsson sitting for Gill, and the whole Timonen/Streit PP thing still. That's all going to hurt offensive production. Offensive production is directly linked to offensive opportunity and that is directly linked to ice-time plus special teams.

So I really can't fault the players too much when I feel like they might as well be being set up to fail in the first place. I see it as a byproduct of Berube more then anything else (more then the key part), but I get how some don't see it that way.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Hall

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-MacDonald
Gustafsson-Schenn

Why this isn't the lineup is absolutely beyond me.
Hartnell needs to be demoted every 30 games or so to play better. The lines looked better and change is always welcome after a loss.

Grossmann out already for 6 means it's serious and likely for game 7. Got to give Gus a go here. There's no way you stick with gill considering it was a boardline call with gill

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:41 PM
blinds

Are people really blaming Streit? He's easily been our best D this series with only Luke and maybe Coburn having an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Well, I mean the roster isn't an elite roster to begin with and it's supposed to be a closely contested series to begin with. So if the coach is setting them up to fail to an extent from the start then chances are they're going to fail at times. We needed goals this game and throughout the first two periods our heaviest played forwards were our shutdown ones then even after all three periods some of our best offensive players had pathetic ice-time. Then you have a guy like Laughton sitting for Rinaldo, Gustafsson sitting for Gill, and the whole Timonen/Streit PP thing still. That's all going to hurt offensive production. Offensive production is directly linked to offensive opportunity and that is directly linked to ice-time plus special teams.

So I really can't fault the players too much when I feel like they might as well be being set up to fail in the first place. I see it as a byproduct of Berube more then anything else (more then the key part), but I get how some don't see it that way.
True. I like the anti-Bylsma comparison, he definitely tries too hard to get matchups instead of playing his best players. His lineup decisions are pathetic, but at least he started making adjustments at the end switching Hartnell and Schenn. I hope he keeps it and adjusts some other things that people here have suggested.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
This is the thing people are missing, he doesn't think it is a mistake.

Playing Gil today is almost like he is trolling us, no other coach or organization makes that call, none. Our coach just isn't that smart.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:42 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Are people really blaming Streit? He's easily been our best D this series with only Luke and maybe Coburn having an argument.
He's probably been our best D all year really. I shudder to think of what this D group and offense look like in the season without him and Gus being in bench hell.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:43 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
I feel like Berube should be getting the majority of the heat here and he isn't so I'm just gonna throw out some facts.
Since Emery started Game 3, Berube has been getting all of the heat.

This entire thread is calling out Berube.

04-27-2014, 02:43 PM
south jersey flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Streit is earning his pay, that what guys like him make. Vinny and Harts have been brutal though , 10 mill for those two hurts bad in a cap world.
As I said earlier, I like what Streit has done this season. He's certainly earned his pay this year. However, he is under contract at a $5.25mill/year for 3 more years. How good will Streit be when he's 37 or 38 or even 39? Good player, bad contract.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:44 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

I'm interested to see if the media (not that they are any good at their jobs) calls out Berube. Instead they'll most likely attack Giroux.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

He's gotten like zero heat all season from the media that I can recall and I feel like even a lot of people here are blaming the players a bit too much for being put in bad positions in the first place.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:47 PM
south jersey flyer

They have every right to call out Berube. He hasn't been great at maximizing our best players' opportunities. Instead, he's been giving too much ice time to the 4th line and not enough to the 1st line. I think someone mentioned earlier that he's been focusing too much on line match-ups. I agree. Line matching has to be done to an extent, but it doesn't make sense to do it ad nauseum. He needs to put our best players out on the ice as much as possible. If they don't come through, then the team doesn't deserve to advance - simple as that.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Stizzle

Any 2nd line centered by Lecavalier is destined to fail. I don't know why this isn't blatantly obvious. Raffl, Schenn, and Laughton (yes) are all clearly better choices.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:48 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:

95% of us said dressing Zac is wrong, he was useless again, don't think he threw a hit

We also said playing Gil was wrong , he was directly or indirectly responsible for 2 Rags goals and 1 non Flyer goal. We all knew it was gonna be a bad move, we are calling out Berube because everything we have called him out on before the games is happening.

These decisions are the wrong decisions and are costing us games.

Old
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Schenn-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Lecavalier-Simmonds
Akeson-Couturier-Read
Raffl-Laughton-Hall

Timonen-Coburn
Streit-MacDonald
Gustafsson-Schenn

Why this isn't the lineup is absolutely beyond me.
I agree except Laughton should not be taking faceoffs. He'd get eaten up.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
south jersey flyer

That being said, it's his first year coaching an NHL team and he did a great job turning them around. Berube deserves at least till the end of next season, in my opinion.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:49 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
This is the thing people are missing, he doesn't think it is a mistake.

Playing Gil today is almost like he is trolling us, no other coach or organization makes that call, none. Our coach just isn't that smart.
I was okay with Gill playing today. I would definitely not go back to him for Game 6, especially since it's an elimination game.

I'd take Rinaldo out, too. But, given the fact that he got a regular shift in the third, I fully expect that he'll be back in the lineup.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:50 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
They have every right to call out Berube. He hasn't been great at maximizing our best players' opportunities. Instead, he's been giving too much ice time to the 4th line and not enough to the 1st line. I think someone mentioned earlier that he's been focusing too much on line match-ups. I agree. Line matching has to be done to an extent, but it doesn't make sense to do it ad nauseum. He needs to put our best players out on the ice as much as possible. If they don't come through, then the team doesn't deserve to advance - simple as that.
Well, were also playing the Rangers. Aside from St. Louis who is really worth being scared of offensively on that roster? Watch out for St. Louis and maybe try to get Giroux out against the weakest competition. That's about the most line matching to be done.

Old
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyguy_1ca View Post
The fact that we have 14.50M per year tied up in Lecavalier, Streit, and Hartnell for eternity pretty much insures this team can't win a cup...too much cap room tied into players that aren't earning it. Sad but true
The guy in bold had a great season, and will score even more points next year when he's on the top PP unit. Lumping him in with Vinny who was -16 is ludicrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
As I said earlier, I like what Streit has done this season. He's certainly earned his pay this year. However, he is under contract at a $5.25mill/year for 3 more years. How good will Streit be when he's 37 or 38 or even 39? Good player, bad contract.
Streit has way less miles on him than most 36 year olds. He'll be fine unless he gets injured.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 04-27-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bennysflyers16

Quote:
He's gotten like zero heat all season from the media that I can recall and I feel like even a lot of people here are blaming the players a bit too much for being put in bad positions in the first place.
I have gotten replies from a few Flyers media ( San F, Meltzer). They all agree with almost every move the Flyers make and don't question them. It's pathetic. Keeps that loser culture alive and well.

Old
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
It's the media; what do you expect?

Have you not seen the horrible questions asked by other media members in these playoffs alone? To Patrick Kane: have you ever scored a playoff OT winner before?

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote