HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #5 | Flyers 2 at Rangers 4 (Injury report: Grossmann is out for Game 6)

Old
04-27-2014, 02:52 PM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
It's the media; what do you expect?

Have you not seen the horrible questions asked by other media members in these playoffs alone? To Patrick Kane: have you ever scored a playoff OT winner before?
That was a golden one lol.

Point taken though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SuchySays

I don't think this fan base would be happy with any coach.

just let them run the team. like that Pokemon stream on twitch.tv

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Quote:
It's the media; what do you expect?

Have you not seen the horrible questions asked by other media members in these playoffs alone? To Patrick Kane: have you ever scored a playoff OT winner before?
I liked that her reasoning was that she wanted Kane to talk about his past goals. Awful way to go about that if she wasn't just covering for her dumbass question.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:53 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Streit is earning his pay, that what guys like him make. Vinny and Harts have been brutal though , 10 mill for those two hurts bad in a cap world.
Hartnell has been bad in the playoffs so far, but he had 52 points and was +11 in the regular season. 23rd in the league amongst LWs.

Again, it's not fair or accurate to compare his season to the one Vinny had.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:53 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
He's probably been our best D all year really. I shudder to think of what this D group and offense look like in the season without him and Gus being in bench hell.
He's the most polished turd on the ***** sandwich that we call a "defense". That doesn't make him good, nor does it make him worth his contract, especially when you consider how bad he's gonna look at age 39 still on our blue line.

His job is to be a PPQB, activate to keep the puck in the zone, and to get shots through. I'd say he's failed pretty miserably at that job this series...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:55 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
I don't think this fan base would be happy with any coach.

just let them run the team. like that Pokemon stream on twitch.tv
I don't want ex flyers who were from the old ways in charge of the team. Berube being an ex goon is why he plays Zac and why he loves dinosaur d men, fits the old Flyers culture that hasn't won in 38 years.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:57 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
He's the most polished turd on the ***** sandwich that we call a "defense". That doesn't make him good, nor does it make him worth his contract, especially when you consider how bad he's gonna look at age 39 still on our blue line.

His job is to be a PPQB, activate to keep the puck in the zone, and to get shots through. I'd say he's failed pretty miserably at that job this series...
He was one of the top ES scorers at D in the regular season...on this defense and team. That's really good. His contract length is scary but his cap hit is pretty great right now. I'm also curious how you expect him to do well on the PP when it's the coach who has him stapled to the second unit instead of the first?

The fact that he's at least a "polished turd on a **** sandwich" in your mind should mean there's plenty of worse people to go after.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Curufinwe

Quote:
Guess you missed him getting the primary assist on Vinny's PPG today after the top PP unit were a train wreck all game long.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 756
Berube blamed Coburn according to Sarah Baicker.

Coburn blames the ice according to Frank Seravalli.

Might want to get on the same page.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:59 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

vCash: 250
I just hope they win the next two.

I mean, I will not be able to cope with sitting around all summer listening to rubbish about Giroux being a bad leader, not clutch and the reason they lost...

He does lead the team in points and +/-, has the 3rd most shots on the team over the series and over 60% faceoff %.

Has he played as well as he can? No.

Has he played as badly as many are implying? No.

Is it because he doesn't care, is not clutch, is not a great leader, is French Canadian, is Ginger, has orange palmed gloves, that he is not really elite etc etc etc? No.

If people are pointing fingers at players playing to a subpar level he is not near the start of it:

Lecavalier
Hartnell
Schenn
Simmonds

have all been pretty useless overall this series, though all have made 1-2 nice plays they have all gone missing for at least 2 games each and have done more things wrong than right.

Ofc Giroux has to be better, but he has no been bad at all... just... not his usual superhuman self.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:00 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post

I assign Coburn 90% of the blame on that one. I assign 0% of the blame on the ice.

04-27-2014, 03:01 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:

If Chief blames Gill he looks like an idiot and Coburn won't call out his teammate but I don't care what anyone says, that's on Gill. There was zero reason for him to be parallel to Coburn (that's just basic hockey, you don't position yourselves in lines perpendicular to the boards), he's suppose to make himself an option for Coburn and he failed at backing up his partner. Sure Coburn could've held on to the puck but he had a man in his face.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

I mean, I will not be able to cope with sitting around all summer listening to rubbish about Giroux being a bad leader, not clutch and the reason they lost...

He does lead the team in points and +/-, has the 3rd most shots on the team over the series and over 60% faceoff %.

Is it because he doesn't care, is not clutch, is not a great leader, is French Canadian, is Ginger, has orange palmed gloves, that he is not really elite etc etc etc? No.

If people are pointing fingers at players playing to a subpar level he is not near the start of it:

Lecavalier
Hartnell
Schenn
Simmonds

have all been pretty useless overall this series, though all have made 1-2 nice plays they have all gone missing for at least 2 games each and have done more things wrong than right.

Ofc Giroux has to be better, but he has no been bad at all... just... not his usual superhuman self.
The guy I have been the most disappointed in, given my pre-series expectations, is Simmonds.

I expect nothing from Vinny and little from Schenn and Hartnell. Simmonds has been a catalyst is many games this year; he's invisible in this series.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:03 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:

The fact that Berube constantly singles out players like Coburn and Akeson, yet players like Rinaldo, Gill and Hartnell get away with anything makes me so angry.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:05 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
The fact that Berube constantly singles out players like Coburn and Akeson, yet players like Rinaldo, Gill and Hartnell get away with anything makes me so angry.

Yup. Gil is 99% in next game and Harts is back to the top line.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Curufinwe

It was Coburn's fault. He shouldn't have made the pass, and it was a horribly inaccurate pass.

Old
04-27-2014, 03:07 PM
SuchySays

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
he was asked a question.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
south jersey flyer

Quote:

Tell me, who has been able to get shots through this series?

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:09 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
he was asked a question.
So what? Other coaches don't do that nearly as much as Berube has this series.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:10 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post

Lecavalier
Hartnell
Schenn
Simmonds

This, I've said Giroux sucks already but I don't hold him to the same standard as everyone else. As unfair as it is, if he's not producing at a ppg or better the team is going to struggle.

Vinny was brought in to alleviate some of the pressure on him but that has failed miserably, and that's an understatement.

I didn't expect much from the young guys (Couts, Schenn and Akeson) in terms of offense but Hartnell, Simmonds, Kimmo and Read on the other hand have let the team down in a big way IMO.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

It was coburns fault. Gill was two feet away. Beer leaguers can make that pass regularly.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:20 PM
Funf

Quote:
The guy I have been the most disappointed in, given my pre-series expectations, is Simmonds.

I expect nothing from Vinny and little from Schenn and Hartnell. Simmonds has been a catalyst is many games this year; he's invisible in this series.
Coming into this series, I figured that if we wanted to win, Simmonds and our PP would need to come up big. Hopefully they can break through this next game. I know it sounds obvious, but teams that can shut down our PP tend to do very well against us.

Same goes for Giroux - but I'm hoping he can use this series as an opportunity to learn how to be more effective against tighter checking defenses. It would be wonderful if he could come in next year and start picking up points against teams like New Jersey, New York, and Boston.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:21 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
It was coburns fault. Gill was two feet away. Beer leaguers can make that pass regularly.
Puck was in the red zone, Coburn needs to bank that puck up the boards, not try to go to his partner.

After Coburn ****ed up Gill needed to keep the puck in his feet and try and play the man. Both forgot how to play very basic defense. Gill isn't used to game speed + is old and slow so he shouldn't be in the game, but Coburn needs to be smarter.

Regardless, the Rangers put up their blue wall and kept them to the perimeter all game. I watched a team who struggled to even get the puck in the offensive zone at times and is relying on getting breaks and bounces to generate offence. This team is in trouble.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Filly4Life

I just hope that all the fans at the WFC yell "SHOOOOOOTTT ITTTT!!!!!" every time the Flyers are on the PP next game or whenever the point man has a pass coming towards him. As much as it pisses the players off, it just so happens to be the only thing that seems to be working. I can count on my d**k the number of pretty tic-tac-toe goals we've had this series, versus the number of one time shots that have either gone in, gotten deflected in or whose rebounds have been slammed in.

Just look at today's game. Both goals and pretty much every decent scoring chance we had came off of a point shot. Yet this team refuses to take them. They'd rather pass it down low to Simmonds and Hartnell who have a total of ZERO meaningful goals this series. The one-timers have been there on every PP but our guys have either passed them up, missed the net by 15 feet or in Timmo's case done an excellent job of watching the pass go right through his legs... (can anyone figure out what he was smoking on that play?!)

Then you have MacDonald and Coburn who won't take the one timer, but will then hesitate, wait for a Ranger to get RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEM and then shoot it right at them... The worst is that most of the Rangers are selling out on the backswing, and instead of faking the shot, and skating around them or finding a better lane we just shoot it anyway. And I wouldn't mind if we passed up these shots if we had some grand scheme to get better looks, but instead we accept the passes and then just skate with the puck while the other 4 guys stare at the puck carrier. And then after 10 seconds the point man just sort of gives up and wrists a shot right into the defender... Seriously...?

Finally, we need to man up on Tuesday. The Rangers have been charging our players all series. We get the puck away and the Rangers will come from 10-15 feet away full speed and crush our guys, often aiming high. Meanwhile, our guys will flail away with their sticks as the Rangers skate down the boards essentially unimpeded. Can't give them the zone that easily. And it just seems like every 50/50 board battle went to a Rangers stick today. It was frustrating. And if I see one more guy literally get pickpocketed of the puck I'm gonna blow a gasket. It's just soft hockey. They need to hit and sell out to block shots. That first goal should have never even gotten through. Coburn looked like he alligator armed the block attempt on a relatively soft wrister. No way we get that shot through against them.

Filly4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Psuhockey

The Flyers have been dominated for the better part of 4 years by the Rangers, as well as other tight checking teams. You can't keep blaming the coaches. At some point you have to admit the talent level on this team is not that good and the guy who picks the players has been here for all 4 years.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote