HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Star Game Thoughts?

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2004, 11:39 AM
jacketracket*

vCash: 500
All-Star Game Thoughts?

Nobody has any comments on the game???

I thought it was one of the best A-S games that I've seen. Competitive, w/some defense being played. Shots taken were down. It actually resembled a real game.

Goalies looked great---Brodeur and Turco really set the tone for a tight game early in the first, w/some nice saves. Nice to see the goalies get a chance to shine in an A-S game. I thought Vokoun deserved better---seemed like the guys relaxed a little in front of him, there in the second. Awesome save by Roloson, in front of the home crowd---nice to see a guy who bounced around get a moment like that (anybody ever wonder what a Denis/Roloson tandem might have been like?).

I couldn't get over how different I felt about watching Nash play, as compared to watching Espen and Ray play in past years. Can't really explain it. Maybe it's just a sense that Rick belongs to us---he started here, and has always been a Jacket. Lots of good pub for Columbus, anyway.

Maybe the kid just looked good in green.

Nice touch on the Brooks tribute, although I understand that while us ABC watchers got to see Kurt Russell talking about the movie during intermission, CBC viewers got a testy interview w/Bettman, about the CBA and such.

Thought the bit on "Hockey in Minny" was a little corny, but not bad. Nice way to acknowledge the home crowd, and it didn't go overboard on the "Wild love" thing.

Disclaimer: Have to admit, each time I noticed Nasher on the ice, I felt relief knowing that they don't call penalties in these things, so Rick's PK deficiencies wouldn't be exposed to the general public. I can only imagine what 2 or 3 million people screaming "send him back to midget" would sound like!

Old
02-09-2004, 01:24 PM
cbjrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
Nobody has any comments on the game???

I thought it was one of the best A-S games that I've seen. Competitive, w/some defense being played. Shots taken were down. It actually resembled a real game.

Goalies looked great---Brodeur and Turco really set the tone for a tight game early in the first, w/some nice saves. Nice to see the goalies get a chance to shine in an A-S game. I thought Vokoun deserved better---seemed like the guys relaxed a little in front of him, there in the second. Awesome save by Roloson, in front of the home crowd---nice to see a guy who bounced around get a moment like that (anybody ever wonder what a Denis/Roloson tandem might have been like?).

I couldn't get over how different I felt about watching Nash play, as compared to watching Espen and Ray play in past years. Can't really explain it. Maybe it's just a sense that Rick belongs to us---he started here, and has always been a Jacket. Lots of good pub for Columbus, anyway.

Maybe the kid just looked good in green.

Nice touch on the Brooks tribute, although I understand that while us ABC watchers got to see Kurt Russell talking about the movie during intermission, CBC viewers got a testy interview w/Bettman, about the CBA and such.

Thought the bit on "Hockey in Minny" was a little corny, but not bad. Nice way to acknowledge the home crowd, and it didn't go overboard on the "Wild love" thing.

Disclaimer: Have to admit, each time I noticed Nasher on the ice, I felt relief knowing that they don't call penalties in these things, so Rick's PK deficiencies wouldn't be exposed to the general public. I can only imagine what 2 or 3 million people screaming "send him back to midget" would sound like!
Great game...lots of love for Nash from Clement, JD, Thorne, Saunders and Melrose. Only Pang didn't say anything. It proves he is the real deal.

Old
02-09-2004, 01:47 PM
3mta3

The first period was GREAT. The rest of the game was just average. It was fun to watch though. Seeing Nash out there was extra cool.

The netminders, aside from Vokoun, looked stellar. Too bad our division rival's netminder had to leak like a sieve in the ASG instead of when we play him.

The players out there with their kids and the extra stuff is what makes it fun for me. The product on the ice is a little too soft for me, but it's an event more than a game.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
CBJSlash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
I agree with that, there was just something different. I wanted him to score so bad, he made some really nice moves. I looked nervous out there, but it was really nice to see Columbus hockey get some air time, I've seen more Nash coverage this weekend than Blue Jacket coverage in the past 2 or 3 years.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:08 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

I was entertained. I really, really wished Nash would've burried that chance he had against Thedore. Great save by Jose though.
I like and respect good defense as much as the next guy, but it is nice to see a game where the speed, skill and offensive talent gets to shine (and goaltenders too) instead of a bunch of clutching and grabbing.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:16 PM
punchy1

Please don't take this as a piss as I don't mean it that way mates but.. (what an awful way to start a post right?)

As an 18 year old Nash is an amazing goal scorer. He is a brute in front of the net and while I wouldn't say he goes out of his way to make a clean check all the time, when he does it is grand. As an 18 year old he is amazing. At one thing. A grand thing no doubt but, it is only at one thing. Goal scoring.

He has nothing else in his game as I have seen in the dozen or so times I have watched him play as well as yesterdays all star game. Now don't get me wrong, he should become an amazing player as time goes on and, I wouldn't be suprised to see him become on the best pure scorers of all time when it is said and done. I also wouldn't be too suprised to see him become a one trick pony who is almost as much of a problem as a help. He is invisible in his own end on the times I have seen him and he is selfish with the puck. Granted, he is levels above most of the players he is on the ice with and with his finishing skills of course he is going to want the puck at the end of play but, he seems to my daft view to have nothing more to offer then scoring goals. A good skater, not a great skater. An average passer, not a bad one. One of the most determined forwards in the offencive end in the game. One of the least determined outside of the offencive zone.

He is 18 and I would love him on my team and believe he will become even better than he is but, so far, that is what I have seen and think. Yesterday only made me feel even stronger in my convictions. The reason I came here to post after it is this, does anyone of you lot who see him play all of the time see anything different and if so, can you give me specific examples of it? I of course don't need to be reminded how great he is at scoring or how amazing it is that an 18 year old is accomplishing as much as he is and how it is very early in his career. I would like to see what you lads think about his game and an objective look at where you see his game developing into over the next few years. Do you think he will ever learn how to play in the other zones? Why do you think so? That sort of thing.

Thanks for your responses and again, no offence intended. I am just curious what you lot, his teams fans think about what I have seen and if there is any validity in it.

Cheers.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:17 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

What about the skills competition? I thought Nash handled himself very well.
I was surprised and pleased to see him participate and win a skating event, considering his skating always has been one of the knocks on him.

I thought the In the Zone competition sucked and was too easy for the goalies, but Nash made two great plays in it -- the pass to Sakic for a goal and the shot me whipped past Brodeur that caught post. When it first happened, the annoucers raved about Brodeur making the great save, but when the put it on replay, it showed Nash got it by him and just missed it. The announcers promptly credited Nash for a good shot.

In the breakaway, Brodeur stoned Nash, but Nash had him - made one too many moves and allowed Bordeur to adjust and stop him.

The other bit I loved was during the puck control relay, when someone on the east lost the puck and the annoucers handed the event to the west, but St. Louis damn near made up all the lost time on his heat and almost won it. That was sweet.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Please don't take this as a piss as I don't mean it that way mates but.. (what an awful way to start a post right?)

As an 18 year old Nash is an amazing goal scorer. He is a brute in front of the net and while I wouldn't say he goes out of his way to make a clean check all the time, when he does it is grand. As an 18 year old he is amazing. At one thing. A grand thing no doubt but, it is only at one thing. Goal scoring.

He has nothing else in his game as I have seen in the dozen or so times I have watched him play as well as yesterdays all star game. Now don't get me wrong, he should become an amazing player as time goes on and, I wouldn't be suprised to see him become on the best pure scorers of all time when it is said and done. I also wouldn't be too suprised to see him become a one trick pony who is almost as much of a problem as a help. He is invisible in his own end on the times I have seen him and he is selfish with the puck. Granted, he is levels above most of the players he is on the ice with and with his finishing skills of course he is going to want the puck at the end of play but, he seems to my daft view to have nothing more to offer then scoring goals. A good skater, not a great skater. An average passer, not a bad one. One of the most determined forwards in the offencive end in the game. One of the least determined outside of the offencive zone.

He is 18 and I would love him on my team and believe he will become even better than he is but, so far, that is what I have seen and think. Yesterday only made me feel even stronger in my convictions. The reason I came here to post after it is this, does anyone of you lot who see him play all of the time see anything different and if so, can you give me specific examples of it? I of course don't need to be reminded how great he is at scoring or how amazing it is that an 18 year old is accomplishing as much as he is and how it is very early in his career. I would like to see what you lads think about his game and an objective look at where you see his game developing into over the next few years. Do you think he will ever learn how to play in the other zones? Why do you think so? That sort of thing.

Thanks for your responses and again, no offence intended. I am just curious what you lot, his teams fans think about what I have seen and if there is any validity in it.

Cheers.
Read some of the other posts here. We've heard and dealt with much, much, much worse on the topic of Rick Nash.

I think a lot of your criticisms are valid at this point in his career. I think the only thing I do take exception with is the statement that he is selfish with the puck. I've seen almost every Jacket game this year (either in person or on TV) and while I can't rattle off a list of specific plays in specific games, I can confidently say that I think Nash is very smart with the puck -- not selfish. I'll follow that by saying, I can't think of one play this year that stuck me as selfish on his part.
I'll grant that he seemed a little selfish in the All-Star game, but it was an All-Star game.
Now, back to my point. Like you said, the kid is a goal scorer, so he's going to be shooting much more than passing, just by the nature of his role. That said, I feel he passes quite a bit and makes many good passes. He's never going to be a premiere set-up guy, but as he gets better linemates, you'll see those assists go up, easy.
I think a lot of what you see this year from Nash in terms of the other aspects of his game is because of his teammates. No one else can score -- so, 1) Nash doesn't have the assist numbers and 2) He knows that on most nights, he's the best and only option.
To better state what I said early, I can't think of a single instance when Nash opted to go his own way instead of making what should be a better play.
This make sense?

As for his development -- again, I think the skating and passing are there and people will see this as the team improves. Defensively, he needs work. Defense, though can be taught much easier than raw offensive ability. I think and hope that will come eventually.

All told, Nash has appeared to be nothing but a humble, respectful, likable guy, which, to me bodes well for his growth as a player. I don't think there is any reason to think that he won't mature and improve continually as he plays the game.

Old
02-09-2004, 02:42 PM
3mta3

Why is Nash special? My thoughts:

Confidence. He's 19 and can't be rattled. Pronger's recent comments about him illustrate this well. Nash plays like Nash, no matter what the opposition throws out there against him. They all know he's there and know what he's going to do and can't stop him from being successful.

Hard work. The guy doesn't mind getting pounded in the crease. SO MANY NHL players could get more goals if they would just park it in front. They don't though, because they don't have it in them to play that hard, dirty, nasty game. At only 19, Nash sees what needs done, and does it.

Growth. From last season to this season he has improved his skating and his strength on the puck. He had areas that needed worked on and he worked on them.

Poise. 2 OT wins with 2 OT Nash goals. He gets the job done.

His detractors want to use questionable stats against him, and for that I have no comment. I could argue it, but if you have your mind made up already based on some numerical values, what could I possibly do to change it? All I will say is that those who look at the stats to make judgements are missing a lot. Not just with Nash, but with a LOT of guys in the league.

I am not one to run with the crowd and take up the popular opinion, so saying that everyone else in the business's love for him is validation isn't the whole picture either.

If you really think Nash is a one trick pony, or a liability on the ice, or a puck hog, or anything less than a fantastic young player who can grow into a superstar then I think you should put down the keyboard, step away from your fantasy league for a few and watch some hockey.

Old
02-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:

Cheers.
aren't you the guy who said he would rather have Alexander Frolov over Rick Nash

Old
02-09-2004, 03:47 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I think what he's saying, is that at this point in the kid's carreer, it would be easy for him to turn into a one-trick pony, and I would have to agree. Alot of that is going to depend on coaching and how much the staff keeps on him to excell in other aspects of the game. If everyone gets too happy with his goal scoring and fails to address other issues, it's not hard to imagine a stunt in devolopment, or for him to just get stuck in a rut. Of course, my opinion only. I will say, now that our season is pretty much a wash, I'd like to see Nash getting some PK time, defensive consequences aside. He's gotta be taught sooner or later, right?
His skating is a mystery to me. He doesn't stike me as someone who is naturaly gifted in this area, yet he seems to have a knack for putting himself where he needs to be. If I had one knock on his skating, it would be initial acceleration, but, hey, if he gets the job done.....
As has been said a million times before, Nash is only nineteen, and still has some developing to do, but I'll say this much; it's obvious to me that the kid wants to be a better play-maker and it's obvious he wants to be better defensively. I've never seen him hesitate to pass the puck when that's the best play, and I've never seen him hesitate to block a shot. (sure, there's more to defensive play than blocking shots, but you know what I mean. ) I personally feel that the biggest thing Nash brings to the table in Columbus is enthusiasm, grit, and character. (the goals are nice, too...) Everyone likes to talk about how defensemen take so much longer to develope, yet it rarely seems to apply to a young forward's defensive play.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Zeta16

The game wasn't that good just like Hockey has been this year. To much body and poke-checking, and not enough ice. Just like Hockey is now being played. bring back the early 90's and 80's and TV viewer ship will go up and everybody will be happy. The reason why Hockey expanded so much was becuase of the High scoring and fighting during that time period. Now we have very low scoring games with few fights. That why other sports fans just don't care. When games started to be on TV in the States (ESPN2, FOX, ABC) the game changed to clutch and grab one.

Old
02-09-2004, 04:51 PM
punchy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zherdev Fan
aren't you the guy who said he would rather have Alexander Frolov over Rick Nash

No. I said and still do that I would rather have Alexander Frolov over Zherdev. I (and most all NHL pundits who have spoken on it) stand by that statement but, that is another thread and if you as usual insist on responding on this topic, start another thread for it mate, I am only asking after Nash on this one. Cheers.

3mta3

"If you really think Nash is a one trick pony, or a liability on the ice, or a puck hog, or anything less than a fantastic young player who can grow into a superstar then I think you should put down the keyboard, step away from your fantasy league for a few and watch some hockey".

Touchy touchy mate. I NEVER said he were a puck hog. I also didn't say he were a total liability on the ice either. As i would have thought obvious to most anyone by my post. He has a -22 and no matter how insignificant that stat (as many others) might be, it is a big number and when you combine that with what I have seen as his style of play on the dozen or so times I have been able to see him, it is a legitmate concern that not only I have talked about. That is why I came here to get a straight answer on it.

You made a couple of other intersting points mate but you silly bashing at the end takes away from the validity of anything else you had to say in my opinion, pitty.

Fan of 45 hit it on the head (so did another)and cheers mate for the insight. Great points. I too believe he can develope into an even more special player than he is (as I said) and wanted to hear what the open minded and rational of you lot felt about the rest of my observations. You answered that dead on. At 19 (I thought they said 18 yesterday but I would believe you more then that motley crew on the tele) he is a dandy, I just wondered if he were one of them kids who looks great the first year or so and then falls off the table as his weaknesses are made obvious. Allot of great young players have had that happen to them and they either end up out of the game, in the minors or becoming "defencive specialitsts". Since Nash isn't grand in his own end I was curious if he were comiing along in all the rest of his game.

I am confident from what I have read that he is improving or wants to be doing so as a couple of you who I would see as smart on the game have explained. The why is interesting and I don't see it as based on him being on your own team as the only reason. Great talents especially when they have allot of early on success often go on to struggle, (Bobby the can't miss kid Carpenter, Jimmy Carson etc) the thing that makes the truly brilliant achieve more is attitude desire and heart or drive to be better.

The thing I and others don't get to see by watching a handful of games is how is overall attitude and passion is. We get glimpses of what a player is but not what they are in total. That is why I came here to ask. Thanks to those of you who are enough of an adult to actually answer what could be an otherwise touchy question. I look forward to seeing how Nash developes and how his game is in three or four years. I reckon him a great one by then.

Old
02-09-2004, 05:38 PM
gr88bd

I have only one comment / opinion on RN's developement.
In any endeavor , to attain a greater skill (skating and passing) you have to train with someone that is either your equal or has more talent than you do.
Other than Zherdev, I dont think theres anyone in the BJ's organization that can better or equal Nash talent wise for him to train with to improve his skills.

Old
02-09-2004, 06:39 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:

Cheers.
I understand you are looking for specifics and many posters have already stated the case for Rick so I won't beat the dead horse. On many occasions Marchant and Letowski missed opportunities for Rick to roll up the assists. Cassels has missed his fair share and even Vyborny missed a few. I'm a season tix holder and go to every game.

As for defensive liability, he doesn't ignore it, however, he also hasn't grasped what a big responsibility it is yet either. I believe it was agains Phoenix (most recent that I can recall) he was able to track a Coyote on a break away and dive to deflect a shot over the glass. A lazy player doesn't submit that effort. Maybe you didn't say lazy but I hope you know what I mean. Rick is also not afraid to throw the body a little and unfortunately against better players - which he is matched up against frequently - he gets out of position due to an over zealous attempt to check someone into next week.

His +/- is disappointing and his assist total is low but it isn't from lack of effort or selfish play. He doesn't stand at the offensive blue line and wait for the 4 others to get him the puck. He's bright and will improve with time. Let's also recall who was on D for most of the games this year. I wouldn't call Sydor a crap player (maybe some of my Jacket friends might...) and his plus minus was horrible. Vyborny was a plus player last year and is -14 this year. He's very responsible. Poor goaltending and poor D doesn't help one's +/-. Just some thoughts and examples. Thanks for joining us.

Old
02-09-2004, 07:46 PM
3mta3

Quote:
Touchy touchy mate. I NEVER said he were a puck hog. I also didn't say he were a total liability on the ice either. As i would have thought obvious to most anyone by my post. He has a -22 and no matter how insignificant that stat (as many others) might be, it is a big number and when you combine that with what I have seen as his style of play on the dozen or so times I have been able to see him, it is a legitmate concern that not only I have talked about. That is why I came here to get a straight answer on it.

You made a couple of other intersting points mate but you silly bashing at the end takes away from the validity of anything else you had to say in my opinion, pitty.
Regarding what you said and you didn't - If the shoe fits, wear it. There were some comments inspired by your post, and some directed to the general posters who question Nash. If you notice, I didn't quote your post and as such, was not speaking directly to, or about, you.

Now if YOU will stop being so "touchy, touchy" about people posting on a subject we can all get back to a decent conversation about the guy. I noticed that you annotated your post with the name of each party you were talking to. I won't be doing the same - I'll just quote the original post I'm referring to. If I don't, then I am discussing the general topic at hand.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Scott Lucidi

Well, don't ask Detroit fans what they thought of the game. I guess they're a little miffed Nashy didn't seem to want to make the pass to his wide open teammates. Wasn't hard to detect that in their own end, Nash was, and this is a surprise, out of position quite a bit, and seemed more interested in the breakaway pass, rather then helping his own team.

Face it folks, you want to get that spot light off him pretty quick. The league is starting to figure out why he only has 8 assists and is a -21.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14855

Old
02-10-2004, 03:42 PM
punchy1

Well, I have been spending the last two days reading about the net on Nash and while BJ fans are very excited about his game and how he is doing (and I think rightly so) there are loads of NHL pundits who talk about what he is doing with the amount of ice time and opportunity he has been given. I don't see the fuss and feel that we are all starting to expect every kid drafted in the first round to be able to step in and become the next 66 or99 instead of taking what they offer knowing that it is going to keep getting better. Nash is an excellent example of this. He has some majour problems to his game for certain and is taking some heat in some corners (I tried to post a few links but am having massive difficulties on it) but, I feel that as he is 19 he certainly is entitled to at least 3 or 4 years of developement. He is doing it in the NHL for gods sake after all.

I came to ask the mature and smart fans here after his skills giving my opinion based on my limited (one dozen games and the all star) experience with watching his game.
The one bit that I got that makes all the difference to me about the lad is he is a heart and sould dedicated player. Of course, I expect some bit of bias from you lot but that is what I would expect. The observations that make the most difference as they are the ones that bj fans are more privy to than the rest of us and that is, as I said, his desire to become the best.

To poke apart his game weren't (as I said in my post) what I were after at all. I was looking for reasons to explain the holes in his game I had seen. I thankfully found from you lot and around the web that one important bit of information that I hadn't seen prior about his attitude and heart. Brilliant on that. If he is as dedicated as you say he is then we are going to see a great young player for years to come. To those of you who couldn't make your observations without feeling the need to make at least a passing snide remark well mates, you showed your colours and no worries for me. You might want to come over the Kings board though, we treat everyone with solid respect. You have to truly go out of your way to have a piss for anyone to give you a hassle over there. Seems the same here, for the most part.

Cheers and thanks. You lot are lucky to have Nash and when in time he learns how to play the entire game, you will have one heck of a bang on hockeyman there.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:02 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

You're a classy man, Punchy, and welcome anytime.

Closed Thread