HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PO Game #5 | Flyers 2 at Rangers 4 (Injury report: Grossmann is out for Game 6)

Old
04-27-2014, 11:20 PM
JVR21
G

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
i just saw that 3rd goal should have kept Kent Huskins
You should've seen Gill completely flub a beautiful chance to score that turned into the Rangers scoring on the other end.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 11:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Just a reminder- lavi was an outside perspective. We as fans jump the gun way to often. This fan base was moaning and groaning for Eakins last summer (would you want him now?)

Hind sight is always 20/20 and ignorance is not always a bliss.
And Laviolette was the best coach this team has had since I started following (basically since Stevens started). He got them to the SCF and actually pushed the team over the top while getting the most out of the offense. He was also uncannily good with his timeouts. Anyhow, he wore out his welcome a couple seasons in but Laviolettes reputation is that he wears out his welcome fast and he needs a team that's ready to compete and go over the top. He was here for a bit before his firing and the roster was also radically different from when he took over in that it wasn't nearly as good as that SCF team.

Hiring from within tends to be a problem with this franchise.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

Understandably people are going to be mad at Gill for the third goal but my god the pass Coburn gave him was unreal. Bundy describe it perfectly on the radio but I don't have the qoutes. He even said fans will rip Gill for the play but that's Coburn and all Coburn. It was an absolutely terrible pass that was leading to nothing but trouble.

Also, we still have two games in this series. No way am I calling it quits now and want a coaching change or any of this other crap that is being called for. We are not out yet no matter how much people try to say we are. Take it shift by shift and fight to gain back your confidence in this series. Win game 6 and just look at it like one more game you need to win. It was never going to be easy but we have way too many bailing on the team after these games.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:46 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Understandably people are going to be mad at Gill for the third goal but my god the pass Coburn gave him was unreal. Bundy describe it perfectly on the radio but I don't have the qoutes. He even said fans will rip Gill for the play but that's Coburn and all Coburn. It was an absolutely terrible pass that was leading to nothing but trouble.

Also, we still have two games in this series. No way am I calling it quits now and want a coaching change or any of this other crap that is being called for. We are not out yet no matter how much people try to say we are. Take it shift by shift and fight to gain back your confidence in this series. Win game 6 and just look at it like one more game you need to win. It was never going to be easy but we have way too many bailing on the team after these games.
Gill didn't handle it well, no, but it's laughable that he was in that situation to begin with.

04-28-2014, 01:20 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Gill didn't handle it well, no, but it's laughable that he was in that situation to begin with.
Why? There was a loose puck that Coburn was going after while Gill was covering the man IIRC. Seemed pretty standard to me, he was covering for if the guy got the puck from Coburn. Coburn could have done a number of things instead of pass into Gill's feet, it was only Moore pressuring them, I believe. Maybe there were other circumstances I'm not remembering, but at the time it seemed like completely Coburn's fault to me.

That said, Coburn and Kimmo had awful games. We need our first pairing to be consistent, not that garbage of a game.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 03:09 AM
dats81

Maybe Timonen in his prime would have successfully handled that pass but 9 out of 10 times that play will come back to haunt you. Bad decision by Coburn to even attempt the pass, worse that he did not realize who he was passing the puck to.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 08:16 AM
skoods

I'm as upset as the next guy. But, the lack of a day off in between games 6 and 7 now plays in our favor. If the Flyers can somehow actually resemble a playoff team tomorrow and defeat the Rags at home, they'll have all the momentum heading into game 7 the very next night. All the pressure will be on New York in their own building.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 4617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Waffles View Post
HOW THE **** DOES GILL MISS THAT OPEN NET.

Gill blows

He missed because he has been in the press box so his perspective where the top of the net is miscalculated

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 09:25 AM
Tankadelphia
Formerly neb45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Nobody wants to see other teams fans come into your teams GDT and rub it in. It's annoying. If they wouldn't do it if they lost the series they shouldn't do it if they win the series, it's just insincere and obnoxious.
People are always good sports when they win, but bad sports when they lose. If they lose this series no one will come in here. Them being "good sports" is their way of rubbing it in and feeling good about themselves

Tankadelphia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Hopefully Couturier starts scoring in this series. 5 games in and no points as of yet.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 09:38 AM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post

Yah seriously, and does he really not understand the concept of never putting it in front of your own net? He should've just threw it around the boards and hoped one of our forwards could get to it.

The Rage Kage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 10:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Like Meltzer noted..Grossmann was having a good series overall until his injury. It was rather unfortunate especially since Gill and Gus are the backups. Might as well be Parent and Krajicek....

As far as who is to blame on that flub pass situation between Coburn and Gill....well I also agree with Bill that both were to blame. Coburn's pass was ill-advised to a dude the size of a skyscraper trying to find a black disc around his skates but the fact that Gill is slow is not Coburn's fault either.....

Quote:
Coburn was as much to blame as Gill for that goal. He played the puck into danger and put Gill in a position where one of his weaknesses was exposed. Many of the NHL's physically biggest defensemen -- including skilled ones like Zdeno Chara or even Chris Pronger before his career-ending concussion issues -- sometimes struggle a bit when the puck goes right into their skates. It takes them a little longer to locate it. Once Gill had the puck go off his skate, he was toast. His recovery time is slow even by hulking defender standards.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...Cliff/45/59718

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 10:41 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Like Meltzer noted..Grossmann was having a good series overall until his injury. It was rather unfortunate especially since Gill and Gus are the backups. Might as well be Parent and Krajicek....

As far as who is to blame on that flub pass situation between Coburn and Gill....well I also agree with Bill that both were to blame. Coburn's pass was ill-advised to a dude the size of a skyscraper trying to find a black disc around his skates but the fact that Gill is slow is not Coburn's fault either.....
It's amazing how certain things happen, and their effects are felt years later. If Ryan Parent didn't have a busted back our defense probably would have looked a lot better over recent years. He was built to be the current NHL's defensive dman. Good skater with decent size, good puck moving skills, but no real offensive game.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Hopefully Couturier starts scoring in this series. 5 games in and no points as of yet.
If Akeson could have converted on that golden chance yesterday he would have earned an assist. I can't believe he didn't even get his shot on net.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:18 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Couturier had a great chance of his own early in the third.

04-28-2014, 12:43 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If Akeson could have converted on that golden chance yesterday he would have earned an assist. I can't believe he didn't even get his shot on net.
he definitely waited too long. had he shot it a second or 2 sooner he probably gets it on net. once he realized Lundqvist was in position he rushed the shot and missed badly. Granted I didn't see the replay so I am not sure if the puck was flat when he got it but waiting definitely cost him a SOG

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:07 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
he definitely waited too long. had he shot it a second or 2 sooner he probably gets it on net. once he realized Lundqvist was in position he rushed the shot and missed badly. Granted I didn't see the replay so I am not sure if the puck was flat when he got it but waiting definitely cost him a SOG
That comes with being a rookie.

I'm much more disappointed with G on the Voracek pass yesterday. Anyway, **** happens.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 03:27 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
That comes with being a rookie.

I'm much more disappointed with G on the Voracek pass yesterday. Anyway, **** happens.
I don't know, when they showed the replay it looked like a really quick pass from up close. I'm not sure that's the kind of pass you expect someone to get, especially when he was losing his balance and drawing a penalty. I'd probably have to see it again to be sure.

Striiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 03:32 PM
Curufinwe

Giroux also got hacked as the puck was arriving.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 04:54 PM
dats81

That thread pretty much sums up this series so far: lots of missed opportunities, couldas and wouldas... but when it all comes down it's just not enough or the Rangers are just a tad better in every aspect of the game.

Where is the resilience? Who can step up?

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Ryker

Damn, this was not a good game. Girardi and Stralman are beasts on the boards, they win every battle, it's insane. I'm really impressed by all of their lines, and their fourth line is definitely outplaying ours. Come to think of it, all of their respective lines seem to be better than ours, so I find it amazing we're even in the series at this point. I hate Hagelin for taking that third penalty, I thought it exemplified the meaning of a good one.

Our guys really need to step it up, especially the first line. I don't even know who played well this time, other than Simmonds and L. Schenn. It's hard to comment on Gill, but I hope Gus gets the call next game. I can see why Berube went with him, but he didn't get what he was looking for. He's no substitute for Grossmann, that's for sure, and, yeah, he's slow not only on the skates, but in his reactions, as well. Personally, I didn't think he was that bad in the regular season, and perhaps other defenders could be exposed by that Coburn pass or St. Louis's speed, as well. So I have mixed feelings about all of this and am not really blaming him for the loss. We were the inferior team in this game, and were so on all levels.

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote