HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Is SLAP SHOT the best hockey movie ever?

Old
03-08-2007, 04:40 PM
BarclayDonaldson

vCash: 500
Another great hockey flick is The Chiefs, an interesting documentary flick about the extremely violent LNAH in Laval, Quebec. It focuses on 5 guys trying to make the big leagues, and living in the back of the arena. A must-see for fans of the rough stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0410214/

BarclayDonaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
It's hard to compare Slapshot and Miracle because one is a stupid comedy and one is a a docu-drama.
Slapshot is the best hockey movie, Miracle is a close second ... the first Might Ducks movie was awesome, the second just alright, the third was terrible. Slapshot 2 had some funny scenes (loved the villain team) but Steven Baldwin ... Jesus, if Steven Baldwin would have been an extra in Scarface, that movie would have been automatically terrible.

ck26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
slade

how can you not like youngblood???

cynthia gibb??

you guys scare me sometimes

slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 05:37 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
Rookies with Yanic Bisson (spelling). They also used to play the one with the girl goalie. Bisson was in that too.

Was this the on where the kid looked similiar to a young Jagr?

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 06:07 PM
jiggs 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by slava View Post
Mystery Alaska is terrible
Wrong.

It is a better-made movie than "Slapshot", but because it is not a pure comedy/farce/satire it is not seen as a better movie. And by the way, it was written by David Kelley (of "The Practice" & "Ally McBeal" fame), who played college hockey in the 1970's and grew up in Maine, so it is as realistic as Nancy Dowd's tale of mayhem told to her by her brother.

Don't get me wrong, I love "Slapshot", but too many people don't like "Mystery, Alaska" and they probably haven't even seen it.

All 3 "Mighty Ducks" movie are terrible, however.

jiggs 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post
Wrong.

It is a better-made movie than "Slapshot", but because it is not a pure comedy/farce/satire it is not seen as a better movie. And by the way, it was written by David Kelley (of "The Practice" & "Ally McBeal" fame), who played college hockey in the 1970's and grew up in Maine, so it is as realistic as Nancy Dowd's tale of mayhem told to her by her brother.

Don't get me wrong, I love "Slapshot", but too many people don't like "Mystery, Alaska" and they probably haven't even seen it.

All 3 "Mighty Ducks" movie are terrible, however.
MD 1 was a classic, 2 was the best, 3 doesn't exist in my eyes. Its not a movie.

BTW nice avatar.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Draft Guru

How about "Hockey Mom"?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:39 PM
McNasty

MD 1 was good 2 was the most unrealistic piece of **** in the world, and 3 was just plain stupid. I mean cmon first off the obvious knuckle puck from his own blue line. I would be willing to bet that not one person could hit the net from that distance without it hitting the ice at least once. Second off, a figure skater playing hockey come on. Third, WAS CANADA EVEN IN THE FREAKING MOVIE????? I mean seriously how can there be a massive international junior tournament, and not a word about Canada is spoken, but Iceland is dominant, give me a ****ing break. LOL sorry for the rant but i can't stand the movie from a hockey standpoint. Mystery Alaska was great, had it's comedic moments to go along with a great hockey story. Slapshot was the complete opposite, it was a great comedy, with a couple of good hockey moments. Miracle was amazing, although they did kind of overexaggerate a few things, still a great movie. Haven't seen Youngbloog.

Just curious though as i haven't seen this one mentioned: Sudden Death. Not really a hockey movie per say but its just funny watching Jean Claude Van-Damm (sp) stepping in as Ken Wregget and making a few saves.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:29 PM
Muttley*
Zach=2 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex7319 View Post
What is your favorite hockey movie?
http://www.madbrothers.com
Never liked Slapshot, even though it's unpopular to admit. Like most movies from the 70's, it's incredibly dated & filled with every hockey cliche imaginable. Paul Newman is a top-notch actor, but if this was a movie about minor league baseball and we didn't cling to it ONLY because it's about hockey, this movie would be lost in obscurity.

In all honesy, I've never seen a hockey movie that I've really actually liked.

Maurice Richard looks promising & interesting, although I've yet to see it.

Muttley* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:45 AM
WheatiesHockey

Net Worth (1995) was a great made for TV movie starring Al Waxman as Jolly Jack Adams the ruthlessly efficient GM of the Detroit Red Wings dynasty and his battles with Terrible Ted Lindsay of Production Line fame. The attention to period detail is incredible, the feel of the old rinks, coaches wearing New York Fedoras, the sliced oranges to hydrate players during training camp work outs all of those elements are there. The movie has a great deal of dramatic tension between Adams and Lindsay. Lindsay himself had a fair bit of business acumen and was enough of a legitimate star to be able to stand up to team management on issues like compensation. Terrible Ted is portrayed as a sympathetic figure, not necessarily acting in his own interests, but for the collective interests of the whole body of less talented players for whom hockey was at best a part time seasonal job. There are some pretty good lines on the movie like where Lindsay says "I've fought everyone of you guys" while making a speech on the need for collective unity when bargaining with management.
Actually Net Worth is a fairly important and serious movie on the incipient development of the hockey labour wars that have been ongoing for the past 50 years. The movie represents only an important sliver of NHL collective bargaining history which has continued to his day.
Someone needs to make a movie about Alan Eagleson.

WheatiesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:26 AM
stu the grim reaper

youngblood is a fantastic movie

the goal at the end looks like a real hockey player dreamed it up

stu the grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I'm a sucker for the Mighty Ducks. Even if the Flying-V is close to being offsides.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:54 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatiesHockey View Post
Net Worth (1995) was a great made for TV movie starring Al Waxman as Jolly Jack Adams the ruthlessly efficient GM of the Detroit Red Wings dynasty and his battles with Terrible Ted Lindsay of Production Line fame. The attention to period detail is incredible, the feel of the old rinks, coaches wearing New York Fedoras, the sliced oranges to hydrate players during training camp work outs all of those elements are there. The movie has a great deal of dramatic tension between Adams and Lindsay. Lindsay himself had a fair bit of business acumen and was enough of a legitimate star to be able to stand up to team management on issues like compensation. Terrible Ted is portrayed as a sympathetic figure, not necessarily acting in his own interests, but for the collective interests of the whole body of less talented players for whom hockey was at best a part time seasonal job. There are some pretty good lines on the movie like where Lindsay says "I've fought everyone of you guys" while making a speech on the need for collective unity when bargaining with management.
Actually Net Worth is a fairly important and serious movie on the incipient development of the hockey labour wars that have been ongoing for the past 50 years. The movie represents only an important sliver of NHL collective bargaining history which has continued to his day.
Did you write all that?

I ordered this DVD out of curiosity at the same time I bought the 76 Canada Cup set. It was very well done, and if even half of it is true it shows how desperately the players needed to unionize for their own protection. Former NHL stars reduced to panhandling outside Maple Leaf Gardens because they had no pension, guys having to play with a broken arm or leg for fear of losing their roster spot. After watching it I wanted the Norris, Selke, Art Ross and Jack Adams awards renamed -- shameful the way they ran the league back then. It shows Gordie Howe in a not so positive light, too (easily manipulated by owners). I highly recommend watching it.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:10 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Puddy View Post
Most of the outrageous incidents in the movie really did happen as well -- going into the stands, getting arrested, the fear of the mills closing. The Hanson brothers were based on the Carlson brothers, two of whom played Hanson brothers. The third Hanson brother was played by Jets defenseman Dave "Killer" Hanson, who was switched from the character based upon he when Jack Carlson couldn't do the movie because he was playing with the Minnesota Fighting Saints of the WHA.
That's cool, especially since they wrote a separate character of Dave "Killer" Carlson, I assume, as a little inside joke. BTW, Versus aired the Miracle On Ice movie with Karl Malden a few weeks ago and I was surprised to see Jerry Houser (the actor who played Dave Carlson in Slapshot) in that, too. Wonder if he could really play or if they needed him to sell the MOI film to hockey fans.

As for the fear of the mills closing and the off-ice scenes I think those are the best parts of the film. The manager putting his players in a fashion show to make extra money, Reg trying to convince the female owner who hates hockey to sell the team plus deciding to "goon it up" to sell tickets to the few fans who can afford them paints a really stark picture of minor league hockey. The fact that it's (really) funny is just a bonus IMO. So yeah, Slapshot is best.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:31 PM
WheatiesHockey

Net Worth is an incredible film in so many respects and will probably age gracefully and become more relevant as times move forward. The actual NHLPA was not formed for another 10 years and became a questionable "company union" under the leadership of the now defrocked and disgraced Alan Eagleson.
The movie and its main characters have to be viewed in the context of their times. This was very much a raw power struggle with no intermediaries. The setting is pretty stark, Ted Lindsay and Doug Harvey against the NHL. The NHL itself at the time was considered more of a social institution than a business. The NHL defined "hockey as we know it" and potential trouble makers were out to destroy the game itself. There was no financial transparency between players and owners or between players and other players. There were no lawyers or agents. At the end of the hockey season players went home and returned to their real jobs and real lives. Players had to live in the real world once the season was done and get real jobs. That was the norm in professional sports at that time, not much different from NFL players of the time experienced.
Put in the context of the times this was an incredible struggle. This all happened long before the Curt Flood case and its lengthy discussions about the Sherman Anti Trust laws and the 13th Amendment of the US Constitution in the US courts.
In the end the struggle was not about convoluted legalese taken before the courts. Lindsay wanted a better deal for ALL players, most of all the unexceptional journeymen who literally fought for their lives every day to keep their job.
The movie itself was made during the period of the 1994-1995 NHL lockout. Something to think about.

Old
03-10-2007, 07:45 PM
broski

Send a message via AIM to broski
i loved slapshot it would probably have to be one of my favorite movies as well as a hockey movie. Youngblood was good. Miracle was great as well because not being alive to see it on tv and then the movie showing what happened to some degree really brought the patriotism out and the love of the game as well.

broski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:04 AM
WheatiesHockey

Slapshot was meant to be fun and entertaining and at best a B film. The movie does make any serious commentary on the game of hockey.

Old
03-11-2007, 08:53 AM
sandman441

Send a message via Yahoo to sandman441
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggs 10 View Post

Seen it and it's terrible I can't even watch it again. It would be different if they actually filmed it in Alaska but they didn't so I can't like it.

sandman441 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:43 AM
schoenfeld
2 Way Contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuddy View Post
I'm a sucker for the Mighty Ducks. Even if the Flying-V is close to being offsides.
Please, any good trapping team would never let that happen.

schoenfeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 12:58 PM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatiesHockey View Post
Net Worth
a nice darkhorse pick.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 01:18 PM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
I was surprised to see Jerry Houser (the actor who played Dave Carlson in Slapshot) in that, too. Wonder if he could really play or if they needed him to sell the MOI film to hockey fans.
Almost no hockey extras in Slapshot, so he probably can play ^_^

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Slick

I agree on Mighty Ducks 2 being extremely unrealistic. I mean...there was one kid who couldn't even stop, yet somehow made the US Junior team? And why would they take an entire pee-wee hockey team for the junior team rather than piece it together with the best in the country. And I, as well, loved Iceland having the tough guy hockey team haha.

I vote for Miracle as the best hockey movie. Anyone can watch it and it does give you a sense of pride (atleast being an American). Mystery, Alaska was second, third being Slapshot. Slapshot was a bit dry some times, but the Hanson Brothers make up for it. I mean, cmon, a suitcase full of toys? Or when they're in their hotel room with the race track set up? Haha, classic.

Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Thiazi

It's not a proper hockey movie, but Strange Brew is still my favorite hockey related movie of all time.

Thiazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Hoppalong Gretzky, Fulton, Knucklepuck, Mendoza, Kenny Wu... ahh the memories..

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Doctor Talbotnik

quack! ..quack! ...quack! ..quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! quack! GOOOO DUCKS!
come on, that movie taught us all the unstoppable triple-deke move!

Doctor Talbotnik is offline   Reply With Quote