HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2014, 03:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'd take Sonny Milano over all of those guys except Kapanen.
Pastrnak has done extremely well for playing with men (Sweden's top hockey league) as a 17 year old. A scoring winger we could go for.

24 points in 36 games.

Old
04-25-2014, 06:22 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Pastrnak has done extremely well for playing with men (Sweden's top hockey league) as a 17 year old. A scoring winger we could go for.

24 points in 36 games.
He didn't play in Sweden's top league.

Old
04-27-2014, 01:14 PM
daynus

if we go bpa pastrnak is sitting their when we pick. that guy has a crazy high skill level, his ceiling is very high. he is 6-0,168 lbs, he has got to get stronger.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

USA beat the Czech's for the gold medal & Canada beat Sweden for the bronze medal in the U18's.

Mason MacDonald won top goalie, Hayden Fleury won top defensemen, & William Nylander won top forward.

Sonny Milano (3G & 7A), Jack Glover (1G & 3A), & Dougherty (2G & 2A) all had good tournaments for the US as possible picks. Tuch (3A) & Larkin (2G & 2A) weren't bad neither with the latter playing hurt.

Old
04-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Roman Reigns
Hextall**Criss Angel

For those of you who follow the rankings and mock drafts closely, could you give me 3-5 players you think could be around by the time Flyers pick? I'd like to get to know some of these prospects

Old
04-27-2014, 02:26 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
For those of you who follow the rankings and mock drafts closely, could you give me 3-5 players you think could be around by the time Flyers pick? I'd like to get to know some of these prospects
Nylander (top 10), Fleury (top 15), MacDonald (top 60), Milano (top 20), Glover (top 40), Dougherty (top 40), Larkin (top 20), & Tuch (top 20).

Edit: Oops, I thought you meant the guys I posted about but some of them fit the bill as well.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-27-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old
04-27-2014, 03:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Travis Sanheim finished the U18 with 6 points good for first amongst defensemen. TSN was apparently talking about him being this years Morin.

Old
04-28-2014, 08:34 AM
The Rage Kage

If there is a promising goalie around where we pick. We. Must. Get. Him. We have defensive prospects and we should let them develop a bit. We won't be winning any cups with a mason/emery duo

Old
04-28-2014, 08:36 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
If there is a promising goalie around where we pick. We. Must. Get. Him. We have defensive prospects and we should let them develop a bit. We won't be winning any cups with a mason/emery duo
The Flyers already have a blue chip goaltending prospect in Anthony Stolarz.

Old
04-28-2014, 08:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy3911 View Post
he didn't play in sweden's top league.
burn!

Old
04-28-2014, 08:57 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rage Kage View Post
I think the team should draft a goalie every year but not in the top 2 rounds. Goalies are a crap shoot and great ones can be had through out the draft. However forward talent dries up quick, mostly in the top 50. Great defensemen can be had throughout as well, however the majority come within the top 3 rounds.

If I was running the draft, it would be forward in the 1st, defenseman in the 2nd, 1 goalie every year, no Canadian juniors players after the 3rd, and European and collegian players from the 4th round on. That maximizes the chances of finding stars in every round.

Old
04-28-2014, 10:50 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Hoping Perlini drops to us. Would love to have him. If not him, maybe Tuch.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
We also won't be winning a Cup with any goalie picked this year till 2020 at the earliest.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:43 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
There's no problem hedging your bets with taking a goalie in the second or third round this year. As much as I like Stolarz there's no guarantee he'll be the real deal.

If Mason MacDonald is on the board when we're picking in the second round then he's my guy.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:56 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
There's no problem hedging your bets with taking a goalie in the second or third round this year. As much as I like Stolarz there's no guarantee he'll be the real deal.

If Mason MacDonald is on the board when we're picking in the second round then he's my guy.
I was just responding to the one guy who said the Flyers don't have a goaltender. Stolarz is very much a goaltender and a fantastic goaltending prospect at that. Yep, I have no problem with adding more goaltenders to the pipeline, but to say that the Flyers don't have a goaltender was something factually incorrect.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Personally, I'd choose Alex Nedeljkovic over Mason MacDonald.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I think the team should draft a goalie every year but not in the top 2 rounds. Goalies are a crap shoot and great ones can be had through out the draft. However forward talent dries up quick, mostly in the top 50. Great defensemen can be had throughout as well, however the majority come within the top 3 rounds.

If I was running the draft, it would be forward in the 1st, defenseman in the 2nd, 1 goalie every year, no Canadian juniors players after the 3rd, and European and collegian players from the 4th round on. That maximizes the chances of finding stars in every round.
That's not a bad draft plan at all. The only thing I would reconsider is who to pick in the first. I'm a believer in the best player available approach. I get sometimes you need to reach, but usually, it's always best to go with who your best available player is. But after that, yep, that's an ideal plan on how to draft.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone think that Alex Nedeljkovic would fall to the 3rd round? That would be awesome. He's not very big, but he's very Quick-like.

Old
04-28-2014, 12:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Anyone think that Alex Nedeljkovic would fall to the 3rd round? That would be awesome. He's not very big, but he's very Quick-like.
The Flyers likely wouldn't take him anyway going by their recent draft philosophy when picking goaltenders. He's under 6 feet plus he just had a pretty pedestrian U18's on a stacked USA team that won gold. The Flyers place a lot of emphasis on this tournament Laughton, Morin, & Hagg all had good tournaments before being selected by the Flyers in recent years.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-28-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old
04-29-2014, 05:56 AM
FinnSkillz28

If we would go for a pure skill player there propably would be guys like Ho-Sang,Fiala,Vrana or Goldobin availble.Not excactly kind of players Flyers usual draft,but we might have use for a little smaller skill player,maybe..?

Old
04-29-2014, 09:02 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSkillz28 View Post
If we would go for a pure skill player there propably would be guys like Ho-Sang,Fiala,Vrana or Goldobin availble.Not excactly kind of players Flyers usual draft,but we might have use for a little smaller skill player,maybe..?
This team needs a big skilled winger for Giroux that can draw his own attention and make space . Brendan Perlini would be a perfect fit if he drops to us. However, while I see him dropping a tad, I don't see him falling to us. I'd also like to see them look at a guy like Alex Tuch or David Pastrnak. If I'm the flyers, I take the most NHL ready winger available when they pick. Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen look like they could fit that bill, but they'll go way before the flyers pick... I'd like to see them try to trade up to get one of them, though I'm not sure what it'd take.

Last edited by orange is better: 04-29-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old
04-29-2014, 09:14 AM
renberg

It seems to me that it is hard to get a read on some of the Swedish players in the Junior tourneys. They play to win and assign players the roles that management feels that they need in order to do that. Haag was given the role of shut down defenseman. They expected little or no offense from him. So who really knows what he can do there? From the few games that he played at ADK, he has more offensive ability than was advertised.
Anton Karlsson is another guy that fits into that mold. Big wing; good defender; tough in the corners are the terms usually applied to him. Every now and then someone adds that he has the tools to finish. So what is his real offensive upside? Hard to tell if he isn't given the opportunities to show them in the major tournaments. Maybe the Flyers scouts know that he can do more than what he has been allowed to show. He shuts his mouth and does his job. At the minimum, he's a guy for the checking line and may be more. I like his possibilities.

Old
04-29-2014, 09:27 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
This team needs a big skilled winger for Giroux that can draw his own attention and make space . Brendan Perlini would be a perfect fit if he drops to us. However, while I see him dropping a tad, I don't see him falling to us. I'd also like to see them look at a guy like Alex Tuch or David Pastrnak. If I'm the flyers, I take the most NHL ready winger available when they pick. Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen look like they could fit that bill, but they'll go way before the flyers pick... I'd like to see them try to trade up to get one of them, though I'm not sure what it'd take.
I'd rake Ritchie over all of them (maybe not Virtanen though). Tuch and Pastrnak in a 2nd place tie. I don't know if I have too much faith in Perlini (from reading the prospects boards).

Old
04-29-2014, 12:50 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
I'd rake Ritchie over all of them (maybe not Virtanen though). Tuch and Pastrnak in a 2nd place tie. I don't know if I have too much faith in Perlini (from reading the prospects boards).
My thoughts too, though Im not as down on Perlini as some are. He had a bad playoffs, but he showed what he's capable of doing. I still think his ceiling is pretty high.

Last edited by orange is better: 04-29-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old
04-29-2014, 12:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnSkillz28 View Post
Fiala is the only interesting player there for me personally. Vrana has had an up & down year but did finish strong at the U18's so perhaps him as well but the other two I would definitely pass on.

None of these players are going to be in the lineup right away nor making an impact for a while so I'm totally fine with just going BPA depending on the situation.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Closed Thread