HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Deal Is Offcial

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 12:19 PM
The Viking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
If you think about what the Flyers gave up for Comrie, a solid prospect (Wowiytka), a 1st rounder, and 3rd rounder...compare that to what was somewhat expected on a return for Burker (2-3rd rounder), Ben Eager (recent 1st rounder) and Radivocevik, and the returns are nearly equal.

The unfortunate part was that the rumored deal greatly favored Phoenix as we picked up Seidenberg or Vandameer and perhaps a pick, while not giving up Eager. That just led to the fans getting their hopes up when the tables turned.

How credible is Barnett for saying there was no trade on the table a few days ago, and then he came out and said he had put the trade on the table Friday.
-----
Just because he put the deal on the table Friday doesn't mean the deal was going to happen. Philli could have countered, accepted, outright declined or even not made any sort of response at all.

Making a trade is a lot more complex than simply putting an offer on the table.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:23 PM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCoyotes
Agreed, which says that he's not the one who is really in charge either. I don't know if it's Fletcher or Gretzky, but Barnett is just the PR guy for whomever is in charge. We need to remember in the future that Barnett is not a man of his word.
I honestly don't think anyone is in charge of this team. Last year we move Briere for Gratton because we need to get big down the middle. And a year later we move our best player over the past 4 years for a 5-9 178 pound center. I remember reading all kinds of articles about how Gretzky has put together one of the most intelligent and well-respected front-offices in the league. It seems to me, that they have no clue what they are doing. And that, you can't blame on obstructed view seats or lack of money.

IMO, Barnett has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is in way over his head. I've never seen a GM give up so much just for the right to dump his stars.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:54 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

I think it was a fair deal for both sides.

Branko is a good player but will he be able to play in your top 6 in a coupel years?

Eager isnt anythign special, 3rd liner if he makes the NHL.

You essentially traded 2 3rd liners for a bonafide #1 centerman who is still 23 years old.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:55 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes03
I honestly don't think anyone is in charge of this team. Last year we move Briere for Gratton because we need to get big down the middle. And a year later we move our best player over the past 4 years for a 5-9 178 pound center. I remember reading all kinds of articles about how Gretzky has put together one of the most intelligent and well-respected front-offices in the league. It seems to me, that they have no clue what they are doing. And that, you can't blame on obstructed view seats or lack of money.

IMO, Barnett has proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is in way over his head. I've never seen a GM give up so much just for the right to dump his stars.
He did do better than you think.

He got 2/3 of a top line from trading Tkachuk and Burke.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:56 PM

Local beat-writer Jerry Brown (EVTrib.com) was on the afternoon radio talking about the move and said that essentially they had Briere & Handzus 18 months ago, who they dealt in not so many words for Comrie & Gratton today. Are they any better today than then?

I'd say we are about even, but we improved on the top, which can help. Briere is a 2nd liner IMO, Comrie looks like he is probably a legit 2nd liner with 1st line capabilities. It's odd that we re-shuffled back to nearly the same spot we were in, but we gave up assets to get back there.

The current management has shown that they have dropped the ball on numerous occasions, so much so that I don't have the energy to elaborate, but will when possible. From McSorley in Springfield, to trades giving up too much, to contracts being over paid, etc.

Old
02-10-2004, 02:11 PM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
He did do better than you think.

He got 2/3 of a top line from trading Tkachuk and Burke.
I'm pretty sure Fletcher traded Tkachuk (which was a good trade IMO) and he is 1/3 of a top line by himself so that cancels out Nagy anyway. You can't say he added a top line player when he gave one up to add him.

And we also gave up Branko and Eager. I don't consider Comrie a Bona Fide number one centerman right now. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get to see him skate every night but right now he needs to improve his all round game along with his attitude IMO.

If you want to start another thread evaluating Barnett's trades I would be happy to participate.

Last edited by Yotes03: 02-10-2004 at 02:15 PM.
Old
02-10-2004, 02:29 PM
sublimesept

Only time will tell if this was an actual bad or good trade. Personally i think its a good trade becuase Comrie has a lot of potential but it also could be a really bad trade if he doesnt pan out. But look at the last time we traded our top player in tkatchuk, we got nagy, handzus(later traded for our #1 goalie Boucher), a 1st rounder, and taffe(our top 1 or 2 prospect). At first everyone thought that the yotes had gotten ripped on that deal but now we totally got the better end of it...in my opinion i would take nagy over tkatchuk straight up. So lets just hope Comrie works out in Phoenix and I cant wait to see him on a line with doan and nagy.

Old
02-10-2004, 02:40 PM
LaLaLaprise
lalalaprise -twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotes03
I'm pretty sure Fletcher traded Tkachuk (which was a good trade IMO) and he is 1/3 of a top line by himself so that cancels out Nagy anyway. You can't say he added a top line player when he gave one up to add him.

And we also gave up Branko and Eager. I don't consider Comrie a Bona Fide number one centerman right now. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get to see him skate every night but right now he needs to improve his all round game along with his attitude IMO.

If you want to start another thread evaluating Barnett's trades I would be happy to participate.
But dropping 6 million in salary and 8 years should pull the other way. Plus Taffe and a 1st rounder.

But Fletch made that deal so i guess it doesnt matter.

Comrie needs to play in the WEST, i dont think he fit in very well in the east.

He has been a ppg player the last 2 years and he is 23 right now. I think he is right on the cusp of becoming a ligit #1 center.

I know Comrier had 9 pts in 21 games with Philly but im blameing that on missing training camp. Look at Gaborik. He looks like a 3rd liner as of today.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:13 PM
ParisSaintGermain

Just a few things about this trade:

- It is quite interesting to see that it is actually Barnett who initiates the deal.

'Barnett said he first submitted the trade proposal to the Flyers late last week. Philadelphia did not accept it until Monday afternoon, however, because it needed to create roster space for the new players.'
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...yotes0210.html

It is interesting because it is always going to be the guy who proposes the deal who will be the one who may overpay for a trade as supposingly he really wants a player.
So for me, I can't imagine that it was ever a possibility to have Seindenberg as part of the trade and no Eager. This rumor on the weekend winded up every single fan but I can't imagine that he was ever part of the negociation.

- I believe that the Phoenix management already made sure that Comrie will sign a new contract with agreed conditions. No way they would make such a trade without being certain of that. They may make bad choices but they are not idiots.
So i wouldn't worry about that.

- It was a relief to see that to get Comrie, we didn't give away any future draft pick.
Eager is a loss but few will argue that he is not a smart hockey player right now, he just take far too many silly penalties. His development hasn't been as expected and because he was unsigned, he was a problem in the making. Good luck to him anyway. Good luck for Branko too, It is a shame to have lost him. We may regret that side of the trade.

- You like Comrie or not, his arrival will have one big benefit in my opinion. He will bring pressure on the team. He is going to be monitored by the medias, by the fans and that can only be good. Not that I am a big fan of critics and stuff but I think that Phoenix is a far too cosy environment for players and in many games they just get away with it far too easily. I mean, the San Jose game last week was an embarassment, one of the worst collective performance in the NHL this year. In Toronto, in Philadelphia etc... they would have been slaughtered in the press or by the fans for a performance like that. When you get criticised you play with some kind of edge. The Coyotes are far too often lacking of it.

- Comrie has a lot to prove, no one will be satisfied if he doesn't work his socks off week in, week out.

- Boucher can't relax too much. He is the number one now but as he was the hunter, he is now the hunted. Bierk, Pelletier and later Leneveu are all good goalies and are waiting for their chance to prove it.

- The Phoenix Coyotes rosters has a very strong potential, most of the players are young and potentially talented. If they develop the way they should, The Coyotes will be a force in the NHL in two/three years time.
Now the big question is: Is Bobby Francis the man who can make that happen?
I personally don't think so.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:36 PM
bobbyboucher24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain
- I believe that the Phoenix management already made sure that Comrie will sign a new contract with agreed conditions. No way they would make such a trade without being certain of that. They may make bad choices but they are not idiots.
When the Flyers acquired his rights from Edmonto, we assumed they would quickly sign a multiyear contract, It took a few days to sign him after we acquired him, only to end up with a 1 year deal, which both sides claimed they wanted when it was all said and done. We were all afraid we would have a similar problem next year. Well, it isn't our problem anymore.

Old
02-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyboucher24
When the Flyers acquired his rights from Edmonto, we assumed they would quickly sign a multiyear contract, It took a few days to sign him after we acquired him, only to end up with a 1 year deal, which both sides claimed they wanted when it was all said and done. We were all afraid we would have a similar problem next year. Well, it isn't our problem anymore.
The one year contract is certainly understandable considering the current climate of the CBA. A lot of players were signed to one year deals because of this. And two year deals the year before, etc..

Old
02-10-2004, 05:49 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
He went from goon to Bertuzzi in a day on the boards. Best of luck to Ben.

on these boards all you ever see is the upside. I guess I'm just as guilty of anyone.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:12 PM
Gwyddbwyll

I have to say it.. Nobody but nobody would trade their 1st for Eager. He does not have the value of a 1st round pick.. he is closer to the third round than the first, especially unsigned. I can only imagine the outrage had we proposed someone trade us their 1st for Eager before this went down.

Off topic I know but some of you will know what Im talking about. I guess Philly fans are allowed their rationalizations just as we see it as trading Burke and two third liners (one current, one future) for a top young talent.

In one way its very nice asset management. Eager was window dressing in the Tkachuk deal since Nagy and Handzus turned the deal into an overpayment. Branko was a free agent pickup. Burke was acquired in a nothing trade. Theyve now turned those three very cheaply acquired components into a young top six forward with potential.

I am anxious to see if Comrie can get chemistry with anyone. If he can then he will have accomplished something Briere never managed.

Was reading an old version of The Hockey News that was right at the time Lowe demanded $2M from Comrie. There was an article that slated Comrie in every way saying that he's walked out on every single team he's been on. He left his college team for the CHL to force Edmonton to pay him the third biggest ever rookie contract (8M over 2.5 years) then left the WHL once they coughed up. Then once the rules were in Edmonton's favor instead of his, he walked out on them.

He better not have the gall to walk out on Gretzky's team is all I can say.

Old
02-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by La-La-Laprise
But dropping 6 million in salary and 8 years should pull the other way. Plus Taffe and a 1st rounder.

But Fletch made that deal so i guess it doesnt matter.

Comrie needs to play in the WEST, i dont think he fit in very well in the east.

He has been a ppg player the last 2 years and he is 23 right now. I think he is right on the cusp of becoming a ligit #1 center.

I know Comrier had 9 pts in 21 games with Philly but im blameing that on missing training camp. Look at Gaborik. He looks like a 3rd liner as of today.
Like I said before I liked that deal. Next to Burke for Stalenkov, it's probably the best trade this team has completed since they've been in Phoenix. But I am pretty sure it was Fletcher who pulled the trigger on that one.

As for your predictions on Comrie I hope your right. But then again maybe I don't because I don't want to see him think he's too good for his contract.

Last edited by Yotes03: 02-10-2004 at 07:55 PM.
Closed Thread