HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Playoffs out of reach

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2004, 11:07 AM
Dan

vCash: 500
Playoffs out of reach

Don't mean to be the board pessimest today, but the standings do not look pretty. We are in a hole, nothing shocking about that. 28 games left and we need 37 points to get to the 90 point bar. We'll likely need 39 or 40 points in 28 games to get in. That means we need to play close to .700 hockey. So, what's the plan for the rest of the year? It seems like in years past the playoff carrot has been what motivated our players. How will they react to being out earlier?

Old
02-10-2004, 11:27 AM
ZIM

vCash:
I'm thinking that the magic number is 92 this year. It has been fluctuating between 90 - 92 but 92 is now the best bet. .696 is the required pace. Colorado has the best record in the NHL this year and is at .676. Comrie might help but the mountain is too high.

Old
02-10-2004, 11:58 AM
Dancing Chicken

With the west being so close I was thinking 86 or 88 will be 8th spot, everybody is winning so somebody must be loseing too..

Old
02-10-2004, 01:10 PM
BrickRed

We still have a chance and not just some bs mathamatical chance to make the playoffs. We need to start our playoffs NOW. We really can't afford to lose more than a game a week on average. 20-8 gets us to 93 points. Look at the schedule -- it can be done if: we shoot the puck, block shots like the streak is still on, clear the puck from our defensive zone and chase the play into the boards and corners.

We have the skilled players to do it. Our coaches need to devise a way to carry the puck in with out Tanabe rather than just dump and chase. If they can't then lets hear it from some posters as to how to carry thru the neutral zone.

I have tixs to four games in March and I want my team playing for something.

PHOENIX HOCKEY IN APRIL. GO YOTES.

Old
02-10-2004, 01:30 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickRed
We still have a chance and not just some bs mathamatical chance to make the playoffs. We need to start our playoffs NOW. We really can't afford to lose more than a game a week on average. 20-8 gets us to 93 points. Look at the schedule -- it can be done if: we shoot the puck, block shots like the streak is still on, clear the puck from our defensive zone and chase the play into the boards and corners.

We have the skilled players to do it. Our coaches need to devise a way to carry the puck in with out Tanabe rather than just dump and chase. If they can't then lets hear it from some posters as to how to carry thru the neutral zone.

I have tixs to four games in March and I want my team playing for something.

PHOENIX HOCKEY IN APRIL. GO YOTES.
Dump and chase is a poor strategy. Even as we speak the league is considering (unlikely to adopt however) stopping goalies from leaving their crease to play the puck. Why - it eliminates offense.

20 - 8 is a .714 pace. Very optimistic - but I like optimism.

Old
02-10-2004, 03:54 PM
ALA YotesPhan

OK I'll see the glass half full.

1. Only 1 of the next 16 games (Detroit) is against a quality playoff team, as opposed to the stretch of 9 in a row the coyotes just finished.
2. 13 of the next 20 games are at home.
3. Pittsburg, Columbus, Chicago twice, and Ducks three times still left.
4. 12 games against the six teams fighting for the 6-8th spot (currently only seven points seperate these teams, Blues, Preds, Flames, Kings, Minn., and Oilers).

If this team can get on a little roll, the playoffs could still happen.

Now I think I'll take a drink of reality Kool-aid and hope the glass stays half full.

Old
02-10-2004, 04:09 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIM
Dump and chase is a poor strategy. Even as we speak the league is considering (unlikely to adopt however) stopping goalies from leaving their crease to play the puck. Why - it eliminates offense.

20 - 8 is a .714 pace. Very optimistic - but I like optimism.
If this is right then I was wrong about goalies handling the puck and dump and chase might not be a bad thing - next year.

Old
02-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Yep a lot of games at home.

The only problem is its like a mini-playoff just to make it over the line while the top 5 teams will have been coasting for weeks. Remember Teppo and Markov playing on broken feet and Burke playing almost every game down the stretch just to make it in?

Old
02-10-2004, 06:45 PM
Waldo

Hoooooome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZyotesphan
OK I'll see the glass half full.

This says it all. The Coyotes were right up there with the playoff teams until the 6 game homestand where upon they tanked ...... really tanked ...... tanked really bad ..... why would anyone expect them to suddenly start playing well at home?

Old
02-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Yotes03

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZyotesphan

We have 2 wins in 12 games at Glendale. Like Waldo just said, that homestand pretty much ended our playoff hopes. I almost wished we had nothing but road games the rest of the year considering how horrible they've looked at home. :mad:

I like the optimism though...

Closed Thread