HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Newer OT Thread - Earthquake Edition

Old
04-27-2014, 02:18 PM
SephF
Visually Better

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
Not sure why me but...

I am sitting in an empty parking lot killing time on my phone. White van pulls up. Heavily tattooed scrawny guy "Hey want a free home theater system?" Nope. "Why not?" Tell them to leave. They do. Take down license plate.

The weirdest thing is a few months back I was in Spruce Grove filling up gas and a white van pulled up asking if I wanted a new tv cheap. Also declined.

Other than getting jumped, what is with this latest scam?

Just odd that white vans seem to find me whether in Edmonton or Spruce Grove and always on my own.
This happens to me constantly. I fill up after work @ the Esso on 156 st and 111th ave, I've had the same guy approach me 4 or 5 times asking me to buy a home theatre out of the back of his vehicle that he "got for cheap from work". He must not have a very good memory because I say no every time. He's not the only guy either, I've been approached by others with similar stories.... it's always in parking lots.

SephF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 02:48 PM
Mr V

Really dating myself here, but the white van selling stereos or speakers was going strong in the 1970's.

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2014, 06:39 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
So Andrew Ference is here in London England --humm should I start stocking him?

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
StronGeer
Butterfele

vCash: 149
So Sonic Boom is looking fantastic this year: Wow

Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Rise Against, Cage the Elephant to name a few. This festival has really taken off.

StronGeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 01:01 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Really dating myself here, but the white van selling stereos or speakers was going strong in the 1970's.
When I think of vans I think of that van that tries to give candy's out to kids.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

Jack White, Arctic Monkeys, Rise Against, Cage the Elephant to name a few. This festival has really taken off.
The only really draw for me is Jack White. Rest of the remaining bands come here atleast once a year. $200 for just Jack White is pretty tough pill to swallow.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 03:09 PM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbuster View Post
The only really draw for me is Jack White. Rest of the remaining bands come here atleast once a year. $200 for just Jack White is pretty tough pill to swallow.
Really? I know Rise Against are here every other month. But Foster the People have never been to Edmonton. I don't remember when the Arctic Monkeys were here last either (if even?).

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 03:15 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Met a lot of NHL players as a kid getting autographs after games and was never too starstruck, but Eberle is currently playing squash at U of C and I nearly shat my pants. Has to be a good luck charm for impending exam, but so much for being focussed on my studying.

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Really? I know Rise Against are here every other month. But Foster the People have never been to Edmonton. I don't remember when the Arctic Monkeys were here last either (if even?).
I'm liking the lineup but I'd like to see some more of the Squamish acts come up here. Thievery Corporation have a break in their schedule, they'd be available. Broken Bells won't be added because they're already playing Winspear.

As far as Thievery Corp saw them in Calgary last year at CFMF. Great show. Hope they get signed to this.

Any idea when they do the scheduling for Sonic Boom and whether day tickets will be available? Depending on schedule I can't see spending 3 days at this. Especially as sonic boom doesn't offer in and out access.

Last edited by Replacement: 04-28-2014 at 04:24 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Its a 3 day festival. You don't get tickets anywhere cheaper. You should check out the Squamish and Pemberton costs if you think this is pricey. This is a long weekend of entertainment for the price of one Oilers ticket. c'mon. I'm old and I'll be going to this..

Old
04-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Ghostbuster
#FireEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a 3 day festival. You don't get tickets anywhere cheaper. You should check out the Squamish and Pemberton costs if you think this is pricey. This is a long weekend of entertainment for the price of one Oilers ticket. c'mon. I'm old and I'll be going to this..
It's not expensive for the 3 days. It's expensive for the lineup (which I'm not really a huge fan of, I honestly only would go for Jack White maybe Arctic Monkeys)

Best lineup I've seen this year would have been the New Orleans Jazz Festival.

Ghostbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 06:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
It's not expensive for the 3 days. It's expensive for the lineup (which I'm not really a huge fan of, I honestly only would go for Jack White maybe Arctic Monkeys)

Best lineup I've seen this year would have been the New Orleans Jazz Festival.
Yep. In Canada the festival shows we get aren't as good. Particularly since some border rules have changed and its harder for working performers to get into the Country to perform. Really tbh now with any show its a nightmare and wondering whether theres going to be confusion at the border. Several acts have had to play without their complete lineup due to this. I think especially indie type acts that don't have all the support staff have more difficulty knowing all that is currently required.

That said the Montreal International Jazz fest and Ottawa Bluesfest have some amazing lineups. Squamish and Pemberton pretty good as well but kind of a drag to get to.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Philly85
Moody'

I have no interest whatsoever in that festival but they did get Jack White and the Arctic Monkeys so that's pretty good. Pemberton's line up looks very good top to bottom.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:04 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

I did steal this from another poster on the Entertainment Board

The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker in the new film.

Director J.J. Abrams says, "We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud."

Star Wars: Episode VII is being directed by J.J. Abrams from a screenplay by Lawrence Kasdan and Abrams. Kathleen Kennedy, J.J. Abrams, and Bryan Burk are producing, and John Williams returns as the composer

If you want to see who each of those people are, in terms of acting resumes, here's the IMDB link http://www.imdb.com/news/ni57137049/?ref_=hm_nw_tp_t1

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 01:08 PM
joestevens29

I haven't even seen the other 6 yet.

Old
04-29-2014, 01:45 PM
Slats432

I saw the original three. No thoughts toward prequels.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 03:16 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Unprecedented with Sterling and the Clippers. Good riddance.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 03:19 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Unprecedented with Sterling and the Clippers. Good riddance.
Let the legal battle begin.

Old
04-29-2014, 04:27 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

How can you ban someone from associating themselves with something they own?

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 04:37 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Maybe they'll just kick him out like the kids did to Cartman in Coon and friends.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 04:48 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
How can you ban someone from associating themselves with something they own?
I'm sure there is a clause about behaviour, but it's going to be a battle.

There was even talk how to ban guys like this going forward, but brought up the issue that it's hard to not sell to the highest bidder from a legal standpoint.

Old
04-29-2014, 05:24 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post

I shelled out the money last year to see Blink 182, Weezer, and Dallas Green, which is a pretty solid 3some. I did not mind the festival, but expected more in terms of what else they offered

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 05:28 PM
topchowda

I still thing BVJ had one of the best line ups of any festival in Canada last year. This year is pretty good too. I really enjoyed BVJ when I went 3 years ago, but apparently the crowd has gotten rougher recently. Boonstock got really bad for the type of crowd

Coachella was my favourite music festival. The line up was right up my alley, and the experience was great. Pool parties and camp grounds during the day, plus great atmosphere/ set up at night.

Old
04-29-2014, 05:31 PM
topchowda

On the topic of this Sterling thing: What he said was totally despicable and he deserves what ever he gets. But in the NFL a lot current athletes (including black athletes) were condemning the thought of gays being in the NFL when the NCAA player came out. I wonder if they will get on Sterlings case (different sport, but still) after they public denounced gays in the NFL.

I find both totally disgusting, and the NFL (and other major sports) needs to address homophobia as much as racism.

Old
04-30-2014, 11:05 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
On the topic of this Sterling thing: What he said was totally despicable and he deserves what ever he gets. But in the NFL a lot current athletes (including black athletes) were condemning the thought of gays being in the NFL when the NCAA player came out. I wonder if they will get on Sterlings case (different sport, but still) after they public denounced gays in the NFL.

I find both totally disgusting, and the NFL (and other major sports) needs to address homophobia as much as racism.
Very valid point.

I still can't figure out why a white racist would buy a NBA team though.