HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Why do I Play Poorly

Old
04-28-2014, 02:23 AM
CanucksSayEh

vCash: 500
Just crash the crease like a good Canadian kid....

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 07:19 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
I like to try different curves regularly. I've used 4 different curves this year (P92, P14, P08 and Kreps), and I could easily switch curve at any time. Granted, all 4 curves are open mid/toe curves, but if I practice with one of them for 5 minutes, I'm ready to play a game with it instantly.

The problem here goes far beyond the stick curve and lie.
unfortunately I agree. telling this kid to go buy a stick with a different blade is not going to solve his issues. He's better off using that money to get a private lesson where the goal is to find out if he just needs more work or if he has maxed out his ability. most good coaches will know right away and will be honest if you ask them

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:32 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkaminski15 View Post
Im 16 so im still kinda young I guess but i just cant put it all together. Im ok at stickhandling, I can shoot very hard, not accurate at all, I can't saucer pass, I can't go top shelf in close, hell I can't hit it from far away either. I'm pretty good at skating but I'm slow. I can play ball hockey really good and I have good hands but as soon as I hit the ice I can't do anything. My had drops to my feet, I can't Stickhandle for crap. Accuracy is still bad. I'm a big kid and I can't hit but I can take a hit. I don't understand. I work on stickhandling like 45 minutes a day. Why can't I pull everything together. Wtf is going on!!!!

Im in dire need of help.

Thanks,
Cheeze
As far as the stick woes, I would really just do arm strength exercising. The biggest not-so-secret to being in control of the puck is being strong enough to make complicated maneuvers and hard shots more effortless. The reason that professional players make handling and shooting the puck seem so easy is because they're ridiculously strong (and using feather-light sticks), which means they don't get tuckered out when they exert their arms.

For instance, when you shoot the puck, half of your energy goes into flexing the stick, and the other half goes into aiming your shot while you're doing it. Okay, maybe it's not half and half, but whatever. The point is, when you get strong enough that you can flex your stick with almost no effort, the vast majority of your energy and concentration can be used to put that shot where you want it.

Cursed Lemon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 11:54 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

When you shoot, do you feel like the power is coming from the hand on the bottom of your stick or the hand on the top of the stick?

waffledave
waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
moreoutdoor

Quote:
Im 16 so im still kinda young I guess but i just cant put it all together. Im ok at stickhandling, I can shoot very hard, not accurate at all, I can't saucer pass, I can't go top shelf in close, hell I can't hit it from far away either. I'm pretty good at skating but I'm slow. I can play ball hockey really good and I have good hands but as soon as I hit the ice I can't do anything. My had drops to my feet, I can't Stickhandle for crap. Accuracy is still bad. I'm a big kid and I can't hit but I can take a hit. I don't understand. I work on stickhandling like 45 minutes a day. Why can't I pull everything together. Wtf is going on!!!!

Im in dire need of help.

Thanks,
Cheeze
Well Cheeze, you've covered a lot. Gotta start at the important stuff.
It's already been mentioned that playing with a ball is not quite near playing with a puck.
But more importantly, you noted you're 'slow'. Ice Hockey like all other team sports which use a ball/object on a defined field/surface is played under 3 basic constraints/pressures. The pressure of time, pressure of space and the pressure of skill. I noted 'skill' last because without some time and space, the effect of skill becomes degraded.
Hockey time and space is created by skating (aside from team tactics and team play). You've already said you're 'slow'. Speed being relative, you being 'slow' greatly increases the pressures of time and space. Skill increases with decreased pressures.
You need to get your skating up to the best level you can reach. That also means conditioning/fitness for many players. Ask your coach to
work both conditioning and skating drills with you. Get as much ice time as you can. Drill skills with a puck, not a ball. On ice, warm up, do stick skills first then work a lot of skating power and skill drills.
Do enough of it and you'll no longer be slow, you'll get to equal with many others, and then maybe 'fast'.
At 16, you've not even anywhere near limits. Get faster and the game gets easier to read. Do everything you can to reduce pressures of time and space.
Not every Pro is a 'born' player. Many got there from really hard work.
Could throw out many names. There is one guy who was never the flashiest, most skilled; but maybe one of the most hard working and least heralded - Davey Keon - Leafs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4GA9kPjLA
Learn to work like Davey and you can't help but get better.
14 - a great number to wear

moreoutdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 10:53 PM
SauceJohnson
Rookie User

You're not breaking yourself out of your comfort zone.

It almost seems as if you're self conscious of what other people think. If you just go out there and play, push yourself out of your comfort zone (as in, yes try that toe drag, if you don't make it, who cares? And try it again), it will evolve around you, and you'll be like... wow, I just did that..

SauceJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 09:37 AM
rinkrat22

Kaminski, since I've seen you play, I'm going to weigh in here. Its your skating kid. stride, balance, edges, knee bend, ability to transition. work on that stuff bud and you will do better.

I should also say since in this environment things get misconstrued, you're not a bad skater, but you're not great either.

Last edited by rinkrat22: 04-29-2014 at 10:17 AM. Reason: clarification
rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 09:46 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
^ Fight him, Kammer.

Old
04-29-2014, 02:17 PM
Nibbler

I would say practice game situations more. Practice stickhandling while skating instead of just standing in place and stickhandling a ball. Find some cones and stick handle through them, go at top speed, dont worry about losing the puck. Eventually you'll get better at it.

Work on the mental part of your game too. After a game, remember the mistakes you made and think about what you could have done better, and next time make an effort to make the smarter play.

Practice, practice, practice. I've been playing hockey for 26 years, and I'm only 29 years old. I had the benefit of starting at a young age, but I can tell you I didn't start to excel above other players until I had been playing for about 8 years. It takes time, be patient and most importantly have fun. Don't get frustrated.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Do you mean you can't stick handle, as in you can stick handle through a team in ball hockey, but once you get to the ice you can't.

Or, when you try to stick handle on the ice you just straight up suck all of sudden and lose the puck quite easily?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 05:46 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
When you shoot, do you feel like the power is coming from the hand on the bottom of your stick or the hand on the top of the stick?
The power comes from both hands, but I'd say the bottom hand provides most of the power. When you flex your stick, you push down with the bottom hand and pull with the top hand. On the follow through, you flick both wrists towards the target.
I can't shoot as hard with a lefty stick as with a righty stick because of that.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:26 AM
mattkaminski15

I think the problem with my stick handling had been solved.

Is there ever such a thing as a 'too light' stick? Switched from my NXG yo my Nexon N10 at practice yesterday and I never looked down once; I do think the handling problem was a weight issue, uh,
I guess Im used to heavier sticks.

As for the shooting, cutting my stick didn't help noticeably, But I do think it helped.

Accuracy is still iffy but a lot better since the cut. I've always rolled my wrists over, but my coach told me to try starting to roll my wrist before I start to shoot so I get more power, worked great.

As for the skating. It's mostly a problem in my knee bend, I have weaker legs, which is why it's leg day 30-64 times a week.

As for pulling it all together, you can say I have that solved, all I really have to do is to remember to dish my garbage thoughts and just play.

Thanks for everyone's input, this thread was really solely created out of anger but I learned a few things.

mattkaminski15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Pavel Datsyuk reportedly plays with a much heavier stick than most of his peers, and even beyond that I'm tempted to agree that sometimes people don't like the lightest sticks available.

Old
05-01-2014, 09:33 AM
Canadiens1958

Stick

Quote:
I think the problem with my stick handling had been solved.

Is there ever such a thing as a 'too light' stick? Switched from my NXG yo my Nexon N10 at practice yesterday and I never looked down once; I do think the handling problem was a weight issue, uh,
I guess Im used to heavier sticks.

As for the shooting, cutting my stick didn't help noticeably, But I do think it helped.

Accuracy is still iffy but a lot better since the cut. I've always rolled my wrists over, but my coach told me to try starting to roll my wrist before I start to shoot so I get more power, worked great.

As for the skating. It's mostly a problem in my knee bend, I have weaker legs, which is why it's leg day 30-64 times a week.

As for pulling it all together, you can say I have that solved, all I really have to do is to remember to dish my garbage thoughts and just play.

Thanks for everyone's input, this thread was really solely created out of anger but I learned a few things.
Experiment with the lie of your stick as well as the weight.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:42 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
The power comes from both hands, but I'd say the bottom hand provides most of the power. When you flex your stick, you push down with the bottom hand and pull with the top hand. On the follow through, you flick both wrists towards the target.
I can't shoot as hard with a lefty stick as with a righty stick because of that.
When I was younger, I used to feel like most of the power came from my bottom hand, but with advice I got as I got older, I realized that the bulk of the power really should be coming from the top hand. Ever since I adjusted the way I shoot so that the top hand is the power hand, my shot improved 10 fold.

If you take 50 shots against the boards over and over, your top hand arm should be more sore than your bottom hand arm.

waffledave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 09:27 PM
IDuck

go to a S&P and and take 50 pucks and "pass them from the penalty box to the benches (across the ice), what you need to get is the feeling of the puck "rolling" of the blade (heel to toe). this is is the central concept for passing and shooting. it may take 100 or 200 pucks but once you get this down i know passing and shooting will improve 10 fold because it all translates (even the clapper).

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 12:17 AM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
When I was younger, I used to feel like most of the power came from my bottom hand, but with advice I got as I got older, I realized that the bulk of the power really should be coming from the top hand. Ever since I adjusted the way I shoot so that the top hand is the power hand, my shot improved 10 fold.

If you take 50 shots against the boards over and over, your top hand arm should be more sore than your bottom hand arm.
Maybe you hold your stick with your dominant hand at the top. I do the opposite, so I feel like I'm mostly pressing down on the stick when I shoot.

Onetimersniper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2014, 09:19 PM
Marotte Marauder

Quote:
Maybe you hold your stick with your dominant hand at the top. I do the opposite, so I feel like I'm mostly pressing down on the stick when I shoot.
This may be the root of all your puck woes.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote