HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Per Fournier: Markov will resign and not Sourray

Old
03-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
He sucks?
11th in defenceman scoring , +7 , 100 + PIM. Doesn't sound to shabby to me. Oh wait, he's a Leaf.. so he sucks automatically? Is this your logic? Or is it just his salary that makes you angry?

There's a lot of overpaid defencemen who are a ways behind him in points. [cough] Chara, Brewer, Zubov [/cough]

Sure, he appears overpaid, which isn't his fault. But, I'd have him on my team any day.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 06:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Sure, he appears overpaid, which isn't his fault. But, I'd have him on my team any day.
I think you may be officially the only person on all of HF who likes Bryan McCabe.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
11th in defenceman scoring , +7 , 100 + PIM. Doesn't sound to shabby to me. Oh wait, he's a Leaf.. so he sucks automatically? Is this your logic? Or is it just his salary that makes you angry?

There's a lot of overpaid defencemen who are a ways behind him in points. [cough] Chara, Brewer, Zubov [/cough]

At 5.75m cap hit, he sucks.

Just like Souray sucks, just like Chara sucks, etc.

I would not take Brian McCabe at 5.75m, he is not even a number 1 defenceman.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:02 PM
Habs

Quote:
At 5.75m cap hit, he sucks.

Just like Souray sucks, just like Chara sucks, etc.

I would not take Brian McCabe at 5.75m, he is not even a number 1 defenceman.
I think your idea of a number one defenceman hasn't existed since Bobby Orr. What more do you want from him?

Honestly, they shouldn't make professional athletes salaries available to the public.

Old
03-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think you may be officially the only person on all of HF who likes Bryan McCabe.
McCabe would immediately be the best defenceman on this club, upon arrival. How much does that sting knowing that?

Old
03-08-2007, 09:11 PM
sheed36

With the mess the Habs have turned into this might be Markov and Souray's chance to get away from this disaster.It looks like Souray is going to be gone and I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Markov sign with Washington to play with Ovechkin.Silent Bob as alot of work to do to make this team conpetitive again.

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:13 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
McCabe would immediately be the best defenceman on this club, upon arrival. How much does that sting knowing that?
Well it certainly stings knowing anybody could say something so idiotic. If you think McCabe's any better on defense than Markov or even Komisarek (and I'd say he's on par with Souray), you must not watch many Leaf games.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:27 PM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

He also said Milroy, Grabovski, O'Burn & JP Côté would make the team next year.

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:11 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Gainey should sign Souray for up to 6 mill. He's hands down the best player on this team. Let Markov walk and use the savings to help sign Souray.
I just got back from the game in Atlanta tonight and I wholeheartedly concur. Souray and a couple of the kids are the only flicker of heart and soul left in this team. Markov has shown me nothing.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:42 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Well, If we lose him for nothing I'll definately be pissed off..considering the kind of packages teams were probably offering.

But then again...what kind of message would that have shown the fans?

Seriously..Bob can't win..some people bad mouth him for not trading Souray..well those are the same fans that would have bashed him if we would have traded him..
Well I know I wouldn't have bashed him for trading him. I was 100% in favour of dealing Sheldon. If anyone watched us play they'd know we should have cashed in on him. Alas, the illusion of a magical 8th place to cup finals run was too good to pass up.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:44 PM
TheGoalJudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Had the habs won three of their last four games instead of just one, we would be in a better position in the standings, and everyone would pat themselves in the back, praising Gainey for having the guts to keep our most productive goal scorer instead of throwing the season.
If my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle. The truth is that we're not a good hockey team and anyone with half a brain would have deemed it more likely for us to finish out of the playoffs and even more likely not to win the cup.

TheGoalJudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Well it certainly stings knowing anybody could say something so idiotic. If you think McCabe's any better on defense than Markov or even Komisarek (and I'd say he's on par with Souray), you must not watch many Leaf games.
Um, ok.... now you are saying McCabe isn't any better than Komisarek? Therefore, you are also saying Komisarek and Souray are of equal abilities?

Is there a doctor in the house?

Old
03-09-2007, 12:00 AM
Habsurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoalJudge View Post
Well I know I wouldn't have bashed him for trading him. I was 100% in favour of dealing Sheldon. If anyone watched us play they'd know we should have cashed in on him. Alas, the illusion of a magical 8th place to cup finals run was too good to pass up.

Thank-you. Nice to see someone else say it like it is.

Habsurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:06 AM
Astaroth

Quote:
The same could be said about Briere.

He's significantly better than Koivu. If he's good enough to be a center on the highest scoring team in the NHL (which he leads BTW), I don't see why he wouldn't be on ours...
I think the two are somewhat related. Playing on a good team is gonna get you more points, not to mention on an offensive run and gun team.

I don't how much better than he is than Koivu. He is there is little doubt but you put him in MTL in Koivu's situation I think our best hope is PPG and even then... There alot of things to consider; lesser talent, more defensive system, defensemen can't make the breakout pass ...

That being said however I would not mind breaking the bank on him at all, something gonna give after 4 years. And with him and Koivu, a more mature and hopefully faster Latendresse (I swear I have better skating technique than he does), it might lead to a rejuvenated Kovalev and with it a team that score with anyone. Of course a couple of puck-moving d-men wouldn't hurt either.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:00 AM
momotan

-Dupuis
-Guerin
-Briere or Drury
-Chris Phillips

Ah yes, the annual CKAC UFA wet dream. They will get nobody. Not after this last week, that's for sure.

Dupuis is about to resign. Guerin is the annual CKAC choice and he never agreed to a trade here or listened to an offer when he was free so why would that change. Briere's agent Pat Brisson has gone on CKAC and said he has councelled all his players to stay out of montreal until their last contract because they could earn more elsewhere and not have their careers destroyed by the pressure (on the air with Villeneuve a couple weeks back, then when he hung up, Villeneuve called him a quebec hater). Don Meehan is Drury's agent (and sheldon's ) and was quoted in the Toronto star yesterday (in regards to the kovalev mess) that he has advised all his players that Montreal was not an optimal environment (in other words, stay away) for next year. Chris Phillips will not come here unless they overpay. Montreal is getting nobody. They will get what they got this year, the last remaining UFA who wasn't wanted anywhere and they will still have to overpay. Why? Taxes, French, Press and bad team.

momotan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:07 AM
les Habs

We should just start a poll with our Vcash and bet to see if Souray goes.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:11 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
But then again...what kind of message would that have shown the fans?
That you want to win? maybe?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:52 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Um, ok.... now you are saying McCabe isn't any better than Komisarek? Therefore, you are also saying Komisarek and Souray are of equal abilities?

Is there a doctor in the house?
Defensively Komisarek is immensely better than Souray and McCabe....You need to stop going solely by Stats.

Using your "knowledge", one would assume that McCabe is better than Kaberle.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:44 AM
Maliki2

Quote:
Defensively Komisarek is immensely better than Souray and McCabe....You need to stop going solely by Stats.

I have to agree Id take Komi over Souray anyday. Most of his goals were on the PP...what happens when our PP goes poof...Souray will go poof as well.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:31 PM
hobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
-Dupuis
-Guerin
-Briere or Drury
-Chris Phillips

Ah yes, the annual CKAC UFA wet dream. They will get nobody. Not after this last week, that's for sure.

Dupuis is about to resign. Guerin is the annual CKAC choice and he never agreed to a trade here or listened to an offer when he was free so why would that change. Briere's agent Pat Brisson has gone on CKAC and said he has councelled all his players to stay out of montreal until their last contract because they could earn more elsewhere and not have their careers destroyed by the pressure (on the air with Villeneuve a couple weeks back, then when he hung up, Villeneuve called him a quebec hater). Don Meehan is Drury's agent (and sheldon's ) and was quoted in the Toronto star yesterday (in regards to the kovalev mess) that he has advised all his players that Montreal was not an optimal environment (in other words, stay away) for next year. Chris Phillips will not come here unless they overpay. Montreal is getting nobody. They will get what they got this year, the last remaining UFA who wasn't wanted anywhere and they will still have to overpay. Why? Taxes, French, Press and bad team.
So why do the clowns over at 110% still insist otherwise? Are they that thick headed?

hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Originally Posted by momotan View Post
-Dupuis
-Guerin
-Briere or Drury
-Chris Phillips

Yikes...if all this is true that doesn't exactly make me feel confident in getting some UFA's to save us next year.

Looks like the kids are going to have to be alright...

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:11 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
I think your idea of a number one defenceman hasn't existed since Bobby Orr. What more do you want from him?
Agreed. There are a select few dmen (I can probably count them on one hand) who are close to being "flawless." After that you get guys who excel in some areas, and are weaker in others.

McCabe is one of those. And we don't need to rehash what he does well and what he doesn't but what he does well is a big asset for most teams. Again, he's got his flaws, and he's overpaid, but he's again in the top 10 in scoring; he's far from being a useless dman.

Quote:
Honestly, they shouldn't make professional athletes salaries available to the public.
That's sort of a debate for another topic, but it is interesting. Would we really have bashed Brisebois as much if we knew he wasn't making 4+ million? Would McCabe take as much heat? etc...Probably not.

It's probably not realistic at this point to stop divulging athletes' salaries, but I think it would go a long way to curbing some of the criticism we give them. Not that athletes should be immune from criticism, far from it, but often times it seems we criticize salary and not play itself for example. Or we use the salary as a basis for criticizing the player's personality.

Quote:
That's laughable. Career wise, he's been better than Sheldon, but right now, he's Sheldon's equal.

But regardless, Markov is better, and more valuable, than both of them.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:22 PM
orignl6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tout ptit View Post
Which is why he went out and said that he would've been disappointed had he been traded?

http://rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/224340.html
he's just practicing his acting. he will be doing a lot of commercials soon on the west coast.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Habs

Quote:
Defensively Komisarek is immensely better than Souray and McCabe....
You gotta be pulling my leg. Defensively, Komisarek is "immensely" better than Souray and McCabe... wow. Just wow. How's those rose colored glasses?

Quote:
You need to stop going solely by Stats.
Oh, if we don't apply stats to an individual's career, what else is there? Enlighten me on this. The entire sports world is based on statistics, but you obviously have a hidden formula that doesn't involve numbers. Does it involve meditation?

Quote:
Well, if we aren't allowed to bring up statistics, I guess we can't argue anymore.

Old
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Mike8

Quote:
You gotta be pulling my leg. Defensively, Komisarek is "immensely" better than Souray and McCabe... wow. Just wow. How's those rose colored glasses?
I wouldn't say immensely, and I would say Komisarek is still going through growing pains and terrible consistency issues, but generally speaking I'd say he's superior to both Souray and McCabe defensively. When he's in a rut, though, he's worse--and he's in a rut more often than either Souray or McCabe.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote