HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating = Shins about to explode [PLEASE HELP]

Old
11-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
No the OP never came back.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
wondeROY
danglesnipecelly.nee

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewsom View Post
I have found that a skate's blade profile can have a big effect on my leg muscles. Particularily noticed this going from Easton skates to Bauers. Even changing from 1/2" grind to 5/8" had a big effect. Might not be the problem but it is something to consider.
This is interesting, can you clarify. Did going to a 5/8" make it better or worse? I'm getting my skates sharpened tonight...

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
pnewsom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
This is interesting, can you clarify. Did going to a 5/8" make it better or worse? I'm getting my skates sharpened tonight...
I didn't have a shin problem to start with, but I felt a bit of strain in my high ankle area for the first few skates. It wasn't an issue and it went away. My skate guy had warned me that I would likely notice it.
It was worth it as I much prefer the 5/8" grind.

pnewsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Saved*

I know bumping this may be bad but I just wanted to give my experience.

I usually skate with a 7/16ths of a 100/50 FBV, and changed to a 5/8ths or a 90/75. I have felt immense pain in my shins, almost to the point of being unable to skate.

I was told that it is because your muscles are used to a certain level of support that the blade offers and that by going to such a big difference in blade hollow will make your legs feel like it is not getting the support and instead counteract by using muscles that you previously didn't need to for that purpose, or that strenuously. It is like a new work out, and will take time to get used to it without pain.

Easiest solution for me will be to go back to my previous hollow as it wasn't bad, I just wanted to try something new.

Hope this helps anyone - this page is the first on google on this topic and wanted to give some information.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:56 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

An earlier post of mine from a thread dealing with what sounds like the OP has:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...=#post61626223

Many people tie their skates very tight before going out on the ice, and do not flex their foot all the way forward to ensure there is enough "give" in the laces to allow room for the foot to manuever forward, which puts enormous stress on the front of the shin when skating.

Think of it this way, instead of standing on your feet which are designed to sustain your entire body weight, your are literally standing on your shins, which are not. There is no tissue there to cushion the force, so the tibialis is severely compressed causing inflammation, and if left unchecked, surgery and a possible end to playing hockey.

Users of waxed laces need to be very aware of this issue as those laces usually do not give much at all, and will cause what some call "upper ankle lace bite," but is really just a compressing of the tibialis anterior tendon. If you have symptoms like being unable to raise your foot up or down, stop skating immediately, let your leg heal for at least 1-2 weeks, and then start flexing your foot all the way forward before tying the knot on the skate once you start playing again.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Rizzy13

suck it up.

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2014, 11:53 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

I used to get this pain while running and skating. Then I thought I had beat the pain in running at least, with a purchase of new shoes and stretching the legs prior to playing ball hockey (hamstring, thigh, calf stretch, as well as pointing toes outward and then inward a few times).

The last two weeks the pain returned with a vengeance in my ball hockey sessions. It hit a boiling point in my Tuesday pick-up game, got so bad it felt like my left shin exclusively had lost all strength and was so tight I was sure something was seriously wrong. I left and missed the majority of the second period, taking my shoe and shin pad off and slowly trying to get some feeling and flexibility back in the shin/ankle area. I came back and played very lightly but I was literally lugging my legs around.

For the first time ever the pain didn't subside moments after playing and instead of a dull soreness the next day, I have been faced with some serious soreness in my left shin even 6 days after playing.

I have continued self-diagnosing through Google and determined a few more ways to ease my pain..

-For one, I was haven't ran since Tuesday, only stretched and done strengthening exercises for the shin and surrounding area followed by icing the now-tight area.

-I purchased compression socks to improve blood flow and help promote quicker more efficient recovery while playing and after

I'm going to take some Advil before I play tomorrow and take especially short shifts while consciously keeping an eye on my running form. I need to ensure I am landing on my forefoot and keeping good posture while running. I have increased the length of my stick to ensure I am not leaning too much forward.

I'm trying everything.. Stupid shin splints dominate the world of shin pain and I'm about 99% sure I don't have many of the common problems others have including: shin splints, compartment syndrome or stress fracture..

Let's see what happens now..

Last edited by HockeyThoughts: 04-22-2014 at 01:23 AM.
HockeyThoughts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2014, 06:30 PM
casg11

You overweight op?

casg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2014, 01:20 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by casg11 View Post
You overweight op?
5'10 180lbs so no.

It appears as though despite the fact that my calves, and hammys are big and strong thanks to squats and sprinting I think for some reason my shins are seriously lagging behind strength wise.

I played today with my compression socks and tried to take shorter shifts and hold back a tiny bit and it was pretty successful. Played the whole game and was pretty explosive though I couldn't get a quality shot off all game! (new longer stick and stupid orangeball - - ie. my excuses)

I'm gonna keep doing the strengthening exercises, foam rolling and stretching for a few more weeks before I hit the ice again.. I'll update on that when the time comes.

Old
04-23-2014, 01:11 AM
Rizzy13

Interesting situation you got here OP. Not really sure what to tell you. Seems like an odd, almost freaky situation you got going on there. Best of luck OP!

Switching hockey stick lengths can be tough. It took me quite some time but I got used to it and will never go back. I hope that you too feel the same way and purchase longer sticks in the future. Feel better!

PS. I'm like 5'8 and I weight 145lbs.

Rizzy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-23-2014, 03:00 AM
Jmp123

Have you tried using a foam roller / lacrosse ball on your shins? Sounds like they could be very tight.

Jmp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 10:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmp123 View Post
Have you tried using a foam roller / lacrosse ball on your shins? Sounds like they could be very tight.
Good suggestion, when people say they are stretching their legs not many people know how to stretch their shin muscle. Most focus on hamstring/quad/calf then go pound away on the one muscle they neglected. If you're body is telling you it doesn't like to run then maybe it's time to get on a bike or an elliptical for the cardio part of it?

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Jmp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Good suggestion, when people say they are stretching their legs not many people know how to stretch their shin muscle. Most focus on hamstring/quad/calf then go pound away on the one muscle they neglected. If you're body is telling you it doesn't like to run then maybe it's time to get on a bike or an elliptical for the cardio part of it?
It's shocking when you realise how restricted our mobility can become and the stretches that we think help really do very little. I use a book called Becoming a Supple Leopard which has exercises to help with mobility for each different part of the body.

When I ever get pain I tend to not look only at that area itself but also surrounding ones. So make sure that you look after the foot / ankle region and the upper leg too.

Jmp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2014, 12:34 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmp123 View Post
It's shocking when you realise how restricted our mobility can become and the stretches that we think help really do very little. I use a book called Becoming a Supple Leopard which has exercises to help with mobility for each different part of the body.

When I ever get pain I tend to not look only at that area itself but also surrounding ones. So make sure that you look after the foot / ankle region and the upper leg too.
When I play hockey after I put my skate socks on I stretch my feet by pulling my toes up and down, I massage the arch of my foot, I massage my calf muscle. I very rarely have pain when I play but I think it's good to be pro active and it actually feels good like a massage. My games are late Friday night so I've been on my feet all day and I'm tired so I pay attention to my body, my diet and my supplementation and I've had almost no issues. Listening and learning your body is huge. That said we're all different, what works for somebody may not work for somebody else. You need to come up with your own thing so that when you play hockey the only pain you have is put upon your opponents with crushing body checks and game winning goals, lol.

Old
04-30-2014, 10:32 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
When I play hockey after I put my skate socks on I stretch my feet by pulling my toes up and down, I massage the arch of my foot, I massage my calf muscle. You need to come up with your own thing so that when you play hockey the only pain you have is put upon your opponents with crushing body checks and game winning goals, lol.
I do the same. Specific stretches for shin, calf, and try to massage the arch of my foot too. I also do some hamstring stretches to go along with the groin. I find stretching the hammy really loosens me up and I can get a longer, faster stride when I'm running.

I agree on your second point wholeheartedly. Hockey is hard enough, having to devote half my energy to pain and soreness has been a huge hastle.

But some good news!

The calf sleeves have worked wonders. I played Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and expierenced no pain and little to no discomfort!

Next up is skating, let's see if it works there too!

Old
04-30-2014, 02:25 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I do the same. Specific stretches for shin, calf, and try to massage the arch of my foot too. I also do some hamstring stretches to go along with the groin. I find stretching the hammy really loosens me up and I can get a longer, faster stride when I'm running.

I agree on your second point wholeheartedly. Hockey is hard enough, having to devote half my energy to pain and soreness has been a huge hastle.

But some good news!

The calf sleeves have worked wonders. I played Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and expierenced no pain and little to no discomfort!

Next up is skating, let's see if it works there too!
Compression sleeves are a good idea. Seems to be a lot of new information that keeping our muscles compressed does a lot of good. I have a friend who runs long distances and he swears by the shin sleeves.

Old
04-30-2014, 03:00 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Compression sleeves are a good idea. Seems to be a lot of new information that keeping our muscles compressed does a lot of good. I have a friend who runs long distances and he swears by the shin sleeves.
I'm happy to have discovered them! They cost a pretty penny but honestly at this point if it can help solve my problems money is practically no object

Old
04-30-2014, 03:40 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I'm happy to have discovered them! They cost a pretty penny but honestly at this point if it can help solve my problems money is practically no object
Maybe try one of those new long leg jocks the hockey companies sell? Kind of a 2 for 1, you get a new jock and full leg compression. I think I'd over heat other wise I'd try it.