HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2007 NHL Entry Draft - Selections, Prospects, and Rankings

Old
03-08-2007, 09:39 AM
BigE

vCash: 500
I've really never put much stock in listed stats like height and weight, because they're generally always inflated. Thus it's hard to say what he's really at: the OHL website lists him at 5'10, 170. As a 17 year old you have to figure it's possible for him to put on an inch or two by the time he's 20-21.

The reality of this league, now, is that skill and speed are the new premiums. You no longer have to be taller than 6'0" and heavier than 200lbs to compete at a high level.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Dilettante

Why not Joakim Andersson?

From Eliteprospects.com:
Quote:
An excellent two-way player. Andersson is very allround and complete. The only thing he lacks really, is some explosiveness and extra speed. Hockey sense is great and defensive skills too. Is strong on the puck, has fine technical skills and is an above average playmaker. Also an excellent penalty killer. Should play even more physical with his fairly big frame.

Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:29 AM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
I've really never put much stock in listed stats like height and weight, because they're generally always inflated. Thus it's hard to say what he's really at: the OHL website lists him at 5'10, 170. As a 17 year old you have to figure it's possible for him to put on an inch or two by the time he's 20-21.

The reality of this league, now, is that skill and speed are the new premiums. You no longer have to be taller than 6'0" and heavier than 200lbs to compete at a high level.
Agree, but it didn't even matter before. As long as the player had a strong mental makeup, size does not matter. It still baffles me how people can argue size. It's rare someone argues an intelligent size question, like, "with the style Prucha plays, and his slight stature, he may get worn down early in his career." Otherwise, it's just ignorantly, "WOW! This guys puny! He's not 6'6'' 270 lbs., he doesn't deserve that ranking! What kind of top prospect is that?"

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Initial reaction is Sutter too low, Plante and Aliu too high.
It's a weird draft in that respect, reminds me of 2004 where some teams could have a guy ranked #5 and others could have a guy ranked #20.

Personally I like Sutter and I'd take him in a heart beat. Other people have some concerns about his offensive ceiling and whether or not he's got enough jam in his game.

I've heard a few people say (and there is some degree of truth to this) that if if you didn't see the last name Sutter or Gilles you'd still be interested, but would you be AS interested?

While I like Sutter, I can see where that comment is coming from.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
Edge

Quote:

I agree, to me height is now a very attractive bonus.

Ideally you want guys who can play and and who can skate.

If they have size, it's considered a big bonus. So in a way, by getting rid of bigger marginal players the value of a big player has actually increased because it's based around quality.

A guy like Jordan Staal, Ryan Getzlaf, etc. those guys are going to be at a premium now.

Old
03-08-2007, 01:06 PM
turnbuckle*

Kane is 5 9 1/2 170 - I asked him myself.

What's it matter what his height is? Bure was 5-10 - see him get hit very often. Hard to hit what u can't catch.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post

What's it matter what his height is? Bure was 5-10 - see him get hit very often. Hard to hit what u can't catch.
Because Bure didn't have to get hit often to essentially be done by the time he was 32 years old.

The real question is still durability over the long run of smaller guys, it's a kid of burn twice as bright but twice as fast approach. In a way we are heading into uncharted territory because no one really knows what the shelf life is on these smaller guys.

Old
03-08-2007, 02:30 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
To quote you, 'Gotta' ?

As always, we should get the best player available, remember this kid won't
be ready for a few years.
We are loaded down with 3rd and 4th liners and defensemen, the organization is in desperate need of a really good Center prospect, whether you agree or not, I think that is where they need to look first, they can draft best available all they want after that.

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
We are loaded down with 3rd and 4th liners and defensemen, the organization is in desperate need of a really good Center prospect, whether you agree or not, I think that is where they need to look first, they can draft best available all they want after that.
'After that'

In all honesty, I STRONGLY doubt that everyone of those 3rd & 4th line prospects will still be part of this team by next September. Time to trade them in for 1st/2nd line help

Seriously, get a good player(non goalie), worry about 'needs' later on.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:28 PM
Nich

i heard sutter's offensive skills were coming on as of late....i like him in the 12-18 ranger...i.m.o.

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post

Jeez, that kid is my height and weight when I played JR's, he'd better be phenomenal at that size.

Old
03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Because Bure didn't have to get hit often to essentially be done by the time he was 32 years old.

The real question is still durability over the long run of smaller guys, it's a kid of burn twice as bright but twice as fast approach. In a way we are heading into uncharted territory because no one really knows what the shelf life is on these smaller guys.
At the same time, practically all the biggest stars in that era were half killed on the ice. Lindros, Forsberg and Kariya were that era's Crosby's and Ovechkin's, all three have had tremendous problems, and gotten pretty early in their career.

The NHL have to start protecting it stars better, or Crosby won't last long either. He haven't been in a PO yet. There is noway Sid is gooing to survive if players are allowed to jump in shoulders to his head, no matter how quick he is.

I personally don't think its a given that small guys are injured more then bigger ones. Guys with allot of muscle mass often got the most problem, not always, but often its like their joints and stuff can't take the power. While smaller guys very seldom get problems with groins, musclestretches, tears ect.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Aside from Sutter, the other two names that intrigue me are Keven Veilleux and Brett MacLean. Any opinions?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:59 PM
BigE

Quote:
It's a weird draft in that respect, reminds me of 2004 where some teams could have a guy ranked #5 and others could have a guy ranked #20.

Personally I like Sutter and I'd take him in a heart beat. Other people have some concerns about his offensive ceiling and whether or not he's got enough jam in his game.

I've heard a few people say (and there is some degree of truth to this) that if if you didn't see the last name Sutter or Gilles you'd still be interested, but would you be AS interested?

While I like Sutter, I can see where that comment is coming from.
A great example of what your talking about can be found in the newest ISS rankings for March (for those that haven't seen check the information post at the top of the thread). Guys like Negrin and O'Brien have fallen from mid-first consideration to second-round picks. On the other hand Joakim Andersson jumped 14 spots from a fringe first-rounder to a fringe top-ten.

Old
03-08-2007, 05:55 PM
kasparaitis666

I think we need someone that is going to develop into a decent sized power forward type center that plays with grit. This leads me to believe he has to come from somewhere in North America. Any of those type of players available?

kasparaitis666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:00 PM
DarthSather99

Petricki is the guy I think would benefit the Rangers the most in the future.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
A great example of what your talking about can be found in the newest ISS rankings for March (for those that haven't seen check the information post at the top of the thread). Guys like Negrin and O'Brien have fallen from mid-first consideration to second-round picks. On the other hand Joakim Andersson jumped 14 spots from a fringe first-rounder to a fringe top-ten.
You sure its not just the publications saving their *****, and running the entire list of potential top 90's, just to later say they had this or that guy pegged in so-and-so edition.

Sometimes it gets sickening. Scouts and services rarely stick by their guys it seems nowadays just to be able to boost their ego's. I feel the constant shuffles can get over the top at times.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 09:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
You sure its not just the publications saving their *****, and running the entire list of potential top 90's, just to later say they had this or that guy pegged in so-and-so edition.

Sometimes it gets sickening. Scouts and services rarely stick by their guys it seems nowadays just to be able to boost their ego's. I feel the constant shuffles can get over the top at times.
I think you'll see that more and more as people try to sell things based around their opinion.

If you're wrong as often as an average scout no one is going to want to read your work/buy your publication/give you money to pay your bills.

As a result you literally have lists that do that.

Old
03-08-2007, 11:47 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

What does everyone think of Zach Hamill?

I've read some intriging things about him.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:58 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:

I'd say that question applies to all NHLers regardless of size. Looking at it clearly, guys like Mike Gartner, Theo Fleury, Pat Lafontaine, Joey Mullen, were not the biggest guys and had considerable staying power in their era.

Old
03-09-2007, 10:46 AM
turnbuckle*

Quote:

That first line has been read a dozen times and I still don't understand. A blown out knee is a blown out knee; had nothing to do with his height.

Smaller players have had long careers since hockey existed; maybe you don't remember there being small players in the league, but they've always been there, and many of them had long careers.

If anything the stats reveal that shorter players last as long or longer than taller guys. Taller players are more susceptible to joint and back injuries, and wearing down IMO. Who played longer in the league - Henri Richard or Andy Bathgate? Who holds the record for most consecutive games played? Doug Jarvis - who may have been 5-8. Who lasted longer in the league - Cliff Ronning or Daniel Dore?

Recchi is doing okay - I don't see Kariya ready to retire. Care to list all of the shorter guys that had to retire young due to injury? that list is littered with guys like Iafrate, Kluzak, Lemieux, Nieuwendyk
Craig Simpson, Wickenheiser, Barry Pederson, Wayne Babych, Nylund. None were short players.

Which NFL running backs ended up have the most lengthy careers in terms of durability? Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith....not the biggest guys. then you look at big sculptured behemoths like Earl Campbell, Herschell Walker, Bo Jackson, Eric Dickerson. They were burned out before they were 30, and unlike Kane, they were getting hit all the time.

Let's say he only can play until he's 32 like Bure....in the day of free agency...is that even a relevant concern? How many players play 13+ seasons with the same team anyway?

If 13 years from now Kane retires with 400+ goals and 900+ points with the same team...you think the team is going to regret having drafted him?

With players eligible for free agency as young as 25, you want to draft players that will be ready sooner rather than later so you can get your money's worth out of them. Team aren't looking to use first and second round picks on players that are going to take five+ years to develop.

Add in the game getting away from the hooking and it makes more sense to be drafting smaller guys than it did in the past, especially smaller guys that are close to being ready to play, like Kane. I think he'll be an NHL regular before Giroux and Downie, and a more productive one.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
'After that'

In all honesty, I STRONGLY doubt that everyone of those 3rd & 4th line prospects will still be part of this team by next September. Time to trade them in for 1st/2nd line help

Seriously, get a good player(non goalie), worry about 'needs' later on.
What's so funny? How do I amuse you ?

Old
03-09-2007, 02:05 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
What's so funny? How do I amuse you ?
Sorry man, I just feel you always take the best player, no matter which round. First round is ok to swing for the fences, as long as you did your HW and feel that the player you're taking is the best available.

Old
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
BigE

Prospect Feature: Alexei Cherepanov

Alexei Cherepanov

Height: 5'11" Weight: 175lbs.
Born: January 15th, 1989
Birthplace: Barnaul, Siberia, Russia
Shoots: Left

Season to date:
Omsk Avangard (RSL) 47GP 18G 12A 30PTS 45PIM

Talent Analysis:

Strengths

- Fluid stride mechanic: great acceleration and agility.
- Possesses both the speed and stickhandling to beat a defenseman wide.
- Superb hockey sense: great passer and always positions himself well in the offensive zone.
- Adept at creating room for himself either with stickhandling or puck protection.
- Reacts well to corner situations and doesn't mind getting his nose dirty.
- Mature, level-headed player that retains his focus. Has a true love for the game.

Weaknesses

- Has vastly improved his skating, but some still feel it to be an issue with his game.
- By no means a defensive player, although not a direct liability.
- Size and strength of his frame may be an issue at the NHL level.

Future outlook:

Upside Projection: First-line Winger, Top 3 Pick.
Timeframe: 1-3 years

Some, including CSB Russian Head Denis Neznanov, are heralding Cherepanov as the next big Russian superstar. As a 17 year-old he's pacing himself to have a better campaign than both Ovechkin and Malkin did during their respective 17 year-old seasons.

Look for Cherepanov to continue his progress with Omsk Avangard of the Russian Super League next season, and to lead the Russian's offensive attack at the World Juniors.

HFNYR Insider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Cherepanov's biggest strength is in the way he sees the game. He's a heady player who seems to be able to think ahead of the play and as a result generates a tremendous amount of offense for both himself and his linemates.

While Alexei certainly has comparable abilities to other young Russian phenoms (namely Ovechkin and Malkin), there are questions about whether he'd be able to dominate on the level they have. He is considerably smaller than both Ovechkin and Malkin and while that doesn't necessarily pose a problem for a player with a great set of wheels, Cherepanov doesn't seem to have that extra gear that a smaller player still needs to possess in order to strive in the NHL. However he does make up for that by managing to be incredibly slippery.

Size or defense should not be a particular problem at the NHL level, Alexei is designed to be an offense player. He's going to need time to develop and a team that drafts him should give him at least a year to work on the little things in his game such as strength, skating and even little improvements on his decision making and choices that will come with more experience.

Cherepanov has the mental approach of a winner and that can never be underestimated. While he might not quite be a dominant game breaking force in the NHL, he certainly has the potential to be a first line NHL player.

Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5SJSG9AW54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lZjx7gCHto

Sources:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=10903&hubname=
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9353
http://www.russianprospects.com
http://www.isshockey.com

Old
03-12-2007, 12:38 AM
in the hall

thats a great review, thank you!

from the videos, he doesn't look nearly as explosive as malkin or ovechkin, or any of the elite russian stars.. i think the biggest difference is as edge said in the quote, he lacks that extra gear and its noticable.. will be interesting to see how it affects him if it even does in the nhl because he looks like he has the skills those other guys have

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote