HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

If you want a good laugh - Forbes GM Rankings

Old
03-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 500
If you want a good laugh - Forbes GM Rankings

This is probably the single most useless, worthless, stupid, inane, ignorant, embarassing, and even mind numbingly incredible list I've ever seen in a publication. A business publication. Does consistent success enter into ratings of businesses (and their managers)? I dunno, maybe it's just me but when you're a newbie business, you're lucky to get on the NASDAQ. And THEN when you're one of the big boys, blue chipper, with a proven track record you maybe get to move to the Dow. Feaster has one Cup, and has yet to show he knows how to maneuver under the cap. 3 players take up nearly half of his payroll. Genius there, I tell ya...

Link to Forbes rankings of Sports GM's

If you want a good laugh, check out not only the names of this list, but how many NHL GM's - several whom we've mocked mercilessly - actually appear ahead of Holland. Even Lou isn't the top rated NHL GM. This thing is a JOKE.

Fugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Syndrome
get off my lawn!!1!

Really, you have to question their metrics.

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:20 AM
HockeyinHD

Waddell likely 'OutGMer'ed' his counterparts.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 09:45 AM
jacK

read the discussion on the main board yesterday, but the link was dead... now i can see what all the fuss is about, and boy should there be fuss.
i could go on forever about how Billy King is not only NOT a top-5 GM, but he's bottom-1. how McHale has almost single-handedly crippled the T-Wolves into non-contention. how Waddell has managed to lead his team out of the playoffs every year of their existence... the list (sadly) goes on.
i'm sure Forbes used some random, ridiculous financial logic or something to put their spin on this... but this is just awful.

WORST. LIST. EVER.

Last edited by jacK: 03-06-2007 at 10:20 AM.
jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
MotownMadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Waddell likely 'OutGMer'ed' his counterparts.
I really noticed that one, though I wasn't sure if it was just because his moves at the deadline this year really stuck out to me.

MotownMadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Fugu

vCash:
THN Ranks Holland #1

Phew. The current issue of THN also takes a crack at ranking GM's, and not surprisingly takes a shot at Forbes for ranking Holland last on their list out of the 25 NHL GM's who did make the list. Here's what Ken Campbell had to say about it:

THN Link:

Quote:
SAY WHAT?: Not to disparage another publication, but we think THN’s ranking of GMs in the NHL, which is in our most recent issue, is just a little more accurate reflection than the one ranking all GMs in professional sports in Forbes, at least from a hockey standpoint.

We have Ken Holland of the Detroit Red Wings ranked No. 1 and point to his three Stanley Cups as evidence. Forbes based its ranking on a completely objective numerical formula and ranked Holland 90th out of 98, last among the 25 NHL managers ranked.
I know the nitpickers will point out how the 1997 team was assembled but hey.... at least Kenny didn't screw it up after that. He could've pulled some Milbury's, ya know. Anyway, it's nice to see the Wings organization get some much-deserved recognition.

Old
03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Here's the entire list from MLive's Khan:

Quote:
1. KEN HOLLAND, Det – Built great teams when he had money, and has done the same under constraints of salary cap.
2. LOU LAMORIELLO, NJ – Nobody’s better at placing a value on a player and refusing to pay a penny more.
3. BRIAN BURKE, Ana – His ability to turn teams around is something to behold.
4. DARCY REGIER, Buf – Rebuilt team’s scouting staff, with outstanding results.
5. JIM RUTHERFORD, Car – Canes have advanced to two of past four finals, winning it all last season.
6. JAY FEASTER, TB – Hasn’t skated in 20 years, but has enough hockey sense to know that top-end talent wins.
7. DAVID POILE, Nsh – Preds’ one and only GM drafts well and makes impact trades.
8. DARRYL SUTTER, Cgy – Looks for affordable players who want to be in Calgary – and will fit the team concept.
9. DOUG RISEBROUGH, Min – Has made up for that awful Leeman-for-Gilmour trade.
10. DOUG WILSON, SJ – Acquired Joe Thornton last season for three (much) lesser players.
11. KEVIN LOWE, Edm – Sticks to his convictions – just ask Ryan Smyth.
12. PAUL HOLMGREN, Phi – Has made smart moves since taking over in late October.
13. DAVID NONIS, Van – Hello, Roberto Luongo; goodbye, Todd Bertuzzi.
14. JOHN MUCKLER, Ott – Not all of his tough decisions have panned out (see Hasek, Dominik, 2005-06). But most of them have.
15. BOB GAINEY, Mtl – Doesn’t panic, and dumped Jose Theodore at right time.
16. GARTH SNOW, NYI – They’re not laughing at him anymore.
17. RAY SHERO, Pit – Smart enough not to mess around with team stocked with young guns.
18. DALE TALLON, Chi – Second time around in Hawks’ front office; on upward trajectory this time.
19. DON WADDELL, Atl – Thrashers’ first GM has never made playoffs. It’s a must this year.
20. DOUG ARMSTRONG, Dal – Took over good team in 2002; has won one playoff series.
21. DEAN LOMBARDI, LA – Built Sharks into a contender; faces tough task with Kings.
22. JOHN FERGUSON, Tor – Missed target on some of his big signings, but minor moves always on the money.
23. GEORGE MCPHEE, Wsh – The focus has been on the future for a few years now.
24. GLEN SATHER, NYR – Ruled in the ‘80s; three winning seasons in past 15 years.
25. PETER CHIARELLI, Bos – Signing Chara and Savard was a solid start for first-year GM.
26. JACQUES MARTIN, Fla – Inherited a mess from Keenan; should’ve shipped out more veterans at trade deadline.
27. FRANCOIS GIGUERE, Col – Rookie GM paying price for past regime’s penchant for trading away prospects-for-vets.
28. MIKE BARNETT, Phx – Many trades, but few wins for franchise that has sputtered since 2002.
29. DOUG MACLEAN, Clb – Aggressive moves have hurt more than helped.
30. LARRY PLEAU, StL – One of hockey’s good guys has been on a bad run.

Old
03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
yea holland is horrible, yet thats why Tampa couldnt resign there best player from the cup finals a few years ago, Mr. Khabibulin and let him walk while making Richards the most paid player in the league, correct? who is, laugh at this one, 3rd on his team in points... If anything Vinny or Marty should be getting a lot more then Brad. I like BR but gimme a break. Feaster has not done a good job what so ever, his drafting, or there team drafting, has been average at best, no blue chip guys from later rounds or anything over the years, while detroit produces basically 1 every 2-3 drafts, while now getting a lot of good talent in the early few rounds...

i just laugh and let them go..

its funny, THN said Holland was ranked Number 1 in last weeks HN

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 04:52 PM
cmccallum

this list is a joke

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
pavel13

Send a message via AIM to pavel13
Well, "winning improvement" and "payroll containment" are listed right there, so they appear to be very important factors (the only ones?) in determining this list. Glen Sather is one of the best GMs?

pavel13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Syndrome
get off my lawn!!1!

In the 4 seasons before Kenny (officially) took over as GM the Wings were:
93-94 100 pts / 84 games (~98 for 82 games)
94-95 70 pts / 48 games (~119 for 82 games)
95-96 131 pts
96-97 94 pts

so an average of 110 or 111 points per season. Would a team with 162 points/season have been even good enough to get Feaster's 222 mark for "improvement"?

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote