HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

free agents to go after

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2007, 07:40 AM
  #51
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
And the thing is he's not going to cost a fortune while he quietly steadies the defense.
Scott Hannan is a no brainer for all 30 teams in the NHL. Will SJ be so willing to let him loose? I tend to think no, and if he does get away its because some team threw a disgusting amount of money at him.

How does a guy who consistently logs 20 plus, 25 plus at times, quietly steady the defense? There may be more talented, younger players on their backend (Carle, Ehrhoff, Vlasic), nastier (McLaren), and experienced (Rivet), but I was under the impression that he was THE staple on their defense. If by not having much of an offensive game, that makes him quiet then I guess so. But the guy is more or less a better version of our own Tyutin and we all know how much recognition he's gotten night in night out here in NY.

I keep figuring SJ will never let him go. Am I wrong in thinking that?

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
Scouting the 2015 NHL Draft and Futures
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 07:43 AM
  #52
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
First of all, I really like Hannan's game, and think he would be a great fit here.

But there is often a risk involved with signing a player like him. Like we saw with Kaspar, a D with his style must be able to play a explosive game of hockey, these types can go downhill fast if their body starts taking a beating, Jovo is a better example, now McKee is injured but I defenitly would have been somewhat afraid of him.

At the same time Hannan are so young, he ought to have atleast 6 good years left in him.
Two factors are that Hannan is about 2-3 inches bigger and does not play as reckless a physical style as Kaspar.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:23 AM
  #53
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Not only that but guys breaking down has more to do with luck and how they keep themselves in shape. Guys who work harder seem to hold up better in all sports.

Of course SJ would rather like to keep Hannan, but the salary cap is a factor and they have to pick and choose what they are going to go with.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:30 AM
  #54
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
Scott Hannan is a no brainer for all 30 teams in the NHL. Will SJ be so willing to let him loose? I tend to think no, and if he does get away its because some team threw a disgusting amount of money at him.

How does a guy who consistently logs 20 plus, 25 plus at times, quietly steady the defense? There may be more talented, younger players on their backend (Carle, Ehrhoff, Vlasic), nastier (McLaren), and experienced (Rivet), but I was under the impression that he was THE staple on their defense. If by not having much of an offensive game, that makes him quiet then I guess so. But the guy is more or less a better version of our own Tyutin and we all know how much recognition he's gotten night in night out here in NY.

I keep figuring SJ will never let him go. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Sometimes it's not really a matter of who wants him, but where he wants to be. Obviously as a free agent you're going to overpay for him, that's just the nature of the beast most times.

As for how does he quietly do it, you pretty much just gave my answer. You can name off younger more talented players, you can name of nastier, more offensive, biggers, etc and those are the guys that get 90% of the press. Hannan will never really get credit as being one of top defensive defenseman, he doesn't get it for his offense, etc. What he does is a little bit of everything, but Hannan is far less known that guys he is far better than.

As for Tyutin, I think that's mainly because of hype. I've never been a huge fan of the hype he's gotten but that's just me. I think even in NY, Hannan wouldn't get a lot of attention, that's just now his game. However I think he's the ideal choice to play with a guy like Mara.

Will SJ let him go? Don't know, but being able to test free agency at 27 or 28 is tempting for a lot of guys. We'll see where that goes.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
  #55
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,851
vCash: 500
You guys really love those free agents

San Jose has to re-sign both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau next summer so they will be selective in which players they will re-sign

Scott Hannan is not going to cost a fortune?Looking at other comparables,Jay McKee,Willie Mitchell and Mattias Ohlund.All of those players make between $3.5-$4 million per and all four players signed four year deals.Eric Brewer just got $17 million/4 years plus a NTC.Chris Phillips is reportedly close to signing in Ottawa for $3.5-$4 million per.A deal for Hannan is going to cost 4 years/$14 million at a minimum looking at the other comprables and his age(28)

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:43 AM
  #56
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
You guys really love those free agents

San Jose has to re-sign both Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau next summer so they will be selective in which players they will re-sign

Scott Hannan is not going to cost a fortune?Looking at other comparables,Jay McKee,Willie Mitchell and Mattias Ohlund.All of those players make between $3.5-$4 million per and all four players signed four year deals.Eric Brewer just got $17 million/4 years plus a NTC.Chris Phillips is reportedly close to signing in Ottawa for $3.5-$4 million per.A deal for Hannan is going to cost 4 years/$14 million at a minimum looking at the other comprables and his age(28)
And personally that's a price I pay. One thing I like is his age and style. It sounds funny but the first player I think of when I think of making a big for Hannan is Mara.

With Mara I've said that the best way to get the most out of him is to put him with a defensive partner who can cover him and stays at home. Hannan would certainly be that guy, and unlike Aaron Ward wouldn't be a stretch to have certain expectations.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
  #57
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,519
vCash: 500
Briere or Drury. Ex-Devils never work out in NY. Plus Gomez hates the Rangers anyway.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:56 AM
  #58
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,629
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Sometimes it's not really a matter of who wants him, but where he wants to be. Obviously as a free agent you're going to overpay for him, that's just the nature of the beast most times.

As for how does he quietly do it, you pretty much just gave my answer. You can name off younger more talented players, you can name of nastier, more offensive, biggers, etc and those are the guys that get 90% of the press. Hannan will never really get credit as being one of top defensive defenseman, he doesn't get it for his offense, etc. What he does is a little bit of everything, but Hannan is far less known that guys he is far better than.

As for Tyutin, I think that's mainly because of hype. I've never been a huge fan of the hype he's gotten but that's just me. I think even in NY, Hannan wouldn't get a lot of attention, that's just now his game. However I think he's the ideal choice to play with a guy like Mara.

Will SJ let him go? Don't know, but being able to test free agency at 27 or 28 is tempting for a lot of guys. We'll see where that goes.
I hope Hannan goes on the market, but I can't see them letting him go unless they're in bad shape cap wise.

Speaking of this year, I don't think Tyutin has been hyped. It's just a clear fact that he was and is the steadiest defenseman in a cluster of accidents waiting to happen. Maybe its more or less his surroundings projecting him better than he is? I do think he was wrongly hyped in Junior as far as becoming a dominant offensive force from the blueline. But he's just such a darn mystery. Part of me wants to think he isn't producing offensively, because he's not as explosive a skater as he used to be. I remember watching skate him in Junior, tryouts for the Rangers, and even preseason with such a hop in his step, great acceleration, and impressive top end speed. When he came back from Russia the second go round, after leaving Hartford, he changed his style big time IMO. He was more plodding, methodical, and did not have as good success bringing the puck up the ice as he had previously.

I think with any prospect drafted in the second round, you have to be happy that you got a 2nd pairing, steady eddy type. He's mastered the hip check, doesn't hiccup under pressure, and routinely gets pitted against opposing team's stars. No matter what his expectations were, I'll take that. And he's only what, 24 years old? Not even?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
  #59
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Well ideally if Nylander/Shanahan doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and assuming you lose Weekes salary, Ozolinsh and maybe do something with the salaries of Kaspar and Rachunek than you should certainly have the money to play ball with Hannan and Drury.

Couple that with the salary cap increase and I think the Rangers will at least be able to make a good pitch.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:23 PM
  #60
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
I hope Hannan goes on the market, but I can't see them letting him go unless they're in bad shape cap wise.

Speaking of this year, I don't think Tyutin has been hyped. It's just a clear fact that he was and is the steadiest defenseman in a cluster of accidents waiting to happen. Maybe its more or less his surroundings projecting him better than he is? I do think he was wrongly hyped in Junior as far as becoming a dominant offensive force from the blueline. But he's just such a darn mystery. Part of me wants to think he isn't producing offensively, because he's not as explosive a skater as he used to be. I remember watching skate him in Junior, tryouts for the Rangers, and even preseason with such a hop in his step, great acceleration, and impressive top end speed. When he came back from Russia the second go round, after leaving Hartford, he changed his style big time IMO. He was more plodding, methodical, and did not have as good success bringing the puck up the ice as he had previously.

I think with any prospect drafted in the second round, you have to be happy that you got a 2nd pairing, steady eddy type. He's mastered the hip check, doesn't hiccup under pressure, and routinely gets pitted against opposing team's stars. No matter what his expectations were, I'll take that. And he's only what, 24 years old? Not even?
Weird I didn't even see this reply the first time.

With regards to Hannan, I honestly don't know. As someone mentioned, SJ has some decisions to make with Thornton, Marleau commanding pretty high salaries and at the end of the day Hannan has to decide what he wants to do. Something to keep a close eye on.

As for Tyutin I always thought people got a bit carried away with their expectations for him and in many ways I still think he gets a bit too much attention for a nice second pairing defenseman.

The big problem with Tyutin is that you can clearly SEE the skill in him. In the games where he wants to, I've seen him do some amazing things and you can see where people were coming from with their praise of him. Tyutin is still very young, but the real key is that he's done this at every level he's played at. Even in juniors, he never really commanded a game the way he should and I think people expected that some day he'd grow out of that but at 24 the reality is that is just probably the way he's going to be.

Switching back to free agents, if I'm the Rangers Briere or Drury along with Hannan are my top targets. If you can put Hannan with Mara I think you find a great balance and Mara could very well get back to that 15-20 goal and 60 point level.

Round that out with Tyutin, Staal, Girardi, Malik and I think you've got something.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 12:50 PM
  #61
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyF27 View Post
Briere or Drury. Ex-Devils never work out in NY. Plus Gomez hates the Rangers anyway.
if we cant get briere or drury, how about bringing back mike york. he is ufa and only 28.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 01:28 PM
  #62
frozenrubber
Registered User
 
frozenrubber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
if we cant get briere or drury, how about bringing back mike york. he is ufa and only 28.


While no one will ever question your passion of the Rangers, you must not of watched any Islander or Flyer games. His heart has been replaced with chocolate pudding.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 10:08 PM
  #63
True Blue Bleed Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 4,132
vCash: 500
Jason Smith, Sheldon Souray, Mike Fisher, Brian Campbell, Robyn Regehr, Mike Commodore, Martin Lapointe, Jason Chimera, Georges Laraque, Bryce Salvador, Dan Boyle, Matt Bradley, Chris Drury.

Obviously not all of them...but all could help

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:02 PM
  #64
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,680
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
Jason Smith, Sheldon Souray, Mike Fisher, Brian Campbell, Robyn Regehr, Mike Commodore, Martin Lapointe, Jason Chimera, Georges Laraque, Bryce Salvador, Dan Boyle, Matt Bradley, Chris Drury.

Obviously not all of them...but all could help
Chris Drury
Georges Laraque
Scott Hannan


Sign em all

Weekes salary will gone - Montoya gets the call up, dump Ozolinsh, Kaspar, Orr and Rachunek and their salaries (maybe easier said than done). Resign Shanny and Nylander. Pcks future here is big a question mark. Bring up Dubinsky to regular duty. Mix the kids into the Rangers lineup if/when there are inevitable injuries and slumps (if we presume the Big 4 - Straka, Nylander, Shanny & Jagr - have 2 years left in the tank they need to be replaced "gradually" anyway)
Add the fact that salary cap increases next and the Rangers would be able to make a good proposition for signing all 3 of these guys.

What about these lines next year:

Straka - Drury - Jagr
Avery - Nylander - Shannahan
Prucha - Cullen - Ortmeyer
Hollweg - Dubinsky - Laraque

In the wings - Betts, Ibister, Dawes, Immo, Korpikoski, Callahan... - all ready to take a spot

On D

Mara - Hannon
Tyutin - Girardi
Rozsival - Malik (maybe can he be traded to a +/- blinded GM?)

Staal

In the wings - Pck ??, Baranka, Purinton, Sangunetti...

You get the colour scheme?

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
  #65
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
If I was GM, I'd sign Forsberg & Hannon. Thats it.

I'd let Nylander, Shanny, Weeks walk.
I'd trade Rozsival on draft day with our picks to move down.

Avery - Straka - Jagr
Prucha - Forsberg - Callahan
Korpikoski - Cullen - Ortmeyer
Hollweg - Betts/Immo - Dawes

On D

Mara - Hannon
Tyutin - Girardi
Staal - Malik

Hanks
Monty

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 04:55 PM
  #66
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
If I was GM, I'd sign Forsberg & Hannon. Thats it.
Personally, I'd pass on Forsberg. Time to start looking for guys that can be a long term part of the organization. I'm fine with bringing Shanny back, but we need to start creating a nucleus of guys who can play together and build something over several years. If they need to add a role player here and there, I'm fine with that too, but the core should be comprised with the future in mind. If you sign a Forsberg we're going to be facing a point fairly soon where we'd lose Jagr, Shanny, Forsberg and other key guys all at once. That can't be good.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
  #67
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,703
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
They have to make a serious push for Drury. It will be expensive though, considering a team like Philly will be looking for a new 1st-line center if they don't bring Forsberg back and will most likely bid hard for guys like Drury and Briere. Not to mention a bunch of other teams will be interested in him.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:45 PM
  #68
King Prucha
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Chris Drury
Georges Laraque
Scott Hannan


Sign em all

Weekes salary will gone - Montoya gets the call up, dump Ozolinsh, Kaspar, Orr and Rachunek and their salaries (maybe easier said than done). Resign Shanny and Nylander. Pcks future here is big a question mark. Bring up Dubinsky to regular duty. Mix the kids into the Rangers lineup if/when there are inevitable injuries and slumps (if we presume the Big 4 - Straka, Nylander, Shanny & Jagr - have 2 years left in the tank they need to be replaced "gradually" anyway)
Add the fact that salary cap increases next and the Rangers would be able to make a good proposition for signing all 3 of these guys.

What about these lines next year:

Straka - Drury - Jagr
Avery - Nylander - Shannahan
Prucha - Cullen - Ortmeyer
Hollweg - Dubinsky - Laraque

In the wings - Betts, Ibister, Dawes, Immo, Korpikoski, Callahan... - all ready to take a spot

On D

Mara - Hannon
Tyutin - Girardi
Rozsival - Malik (maybe can he be traded to a +/- blinded GM?)

Staal

In the wings - Pck ??, Baranka, Purinton, Sangunetti...

You get the colour scheme?
I don't post a lot here, but dont you think Hossa should be kept around? He deserves another season.

King Prucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:46 PM
  #69
DontStaal
Registered User
 
DontStaal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,750
vCash: 500
you have to go with datsyuk after this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jZoNt9SoUXQ


DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:37 PM
  #70
Blueshirt Special
Registered User
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,095
vCash: 500
Forget about Forsberg!! Please! ugh! Not now. 6-8 years ago, yes.

I'd like to see more of Rachunek. How old is he?

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.