HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Flyers 2014 Draft(ees) June 27-28th

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2014, 09:59 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
this team is going to trade up to draft brandon lemieux

Old
04-30-2014, 10:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
this team is going to trade up to draft brandon lemieux
In the second round? I would be very surprised if he isn't there by 17.

Old
04-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
In the second round? I would be very surprised if he isn't there by 17.
that was sarcasm. of course he will be there at 17. but we will still trade up for him.

Old
04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
that was sarcasm. of course he will be there at 17. but we will still trade up for him.
Ah when was the last time that happened? It seems like the Flyers are totally fine with just sitting back & letting their guy fall to them.

Old
04-30-2014, 10:20 PM
LetsGoFlyers1825

I don't care if it we go forward or defenseman as long as the guy is skilled. Character is nice, but so is talent

Old
04-30-2014, 10:54 PM
daynus

a trade down is 1 possibility

pull a bill belichick,is their a gm, whom we could fleece and nab extra picks,such as an extra first in 2015 or sit their and nab bpa. and with our scouting, it is gonna be a good pick for us.a top 6 forward would be really good for us.top 6 forwards are not an item we have in our tool box, and could use depth.mind you another pmd is another area where could use depth as well.

Old
04-30-2014, 11:04 PM
bauerhockey02

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
pull a bill belichick,is their a gm, whom we could fleece and nab extra picks,such as an extra first in 2015 or sit their and nab bpa. and with our scouting, it is gonna be a good pick for us.a top 6 forward would be really good for us.top 6 forwards are not an item we have in our tool box, and could use depth.mind you another pmd is another area where could use depth as well.
I don't see anyone trading a 2015 first for our 2014 first. I would be okay with moving down a few spots if it got us an extra second though. That is if our first isn't traded as part of a package.

Old
04-30-2014, 11:31 PM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Don't like Fiala at 17. He's not the type of player this team needs.

Honestly, I want to try to move up. This is a good draft to do that as it's generally considered a weaker draft class, and I really want Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen.

If that's not possible, and Fiala is the BPA available, I'm packaging the pick with Brayden Schenn and trading for a good young winger like Evander Kane.

Old
04-30-2014, 11:34 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post

Honestly, I want to try to move up. This is a good draft to do that as it's generally considered a weaker draft class, and I really want Nick Ritchie or Jake Virtanen.

If that's not possible, and Fiala is the BPA available, I'm packaging the pick with Brayden Schenn and trading for a good young winger like Evander Kane.
I would not hesitate to trade Schenns + 1st for Kane.

Old
05-01-2014, 12:02 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:

He's exactly what this team needs. Ritchie and Virtanen are closer to what we already have. How much better is Ritchie going to get? He's a man playing with boys. Virtanen has good tools, but I don't know if he has the head to maximize them.

Old
05-01-2014, 06:21 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:

You dont want a super skilled winger? We need a skilled winger nit just a big forward who can score. We have few really skilled guys on the flyers.

Old
05-01-2014, 07:59 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
They don't want LSchenn, they have enough RHD.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:01 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
With the draft in the Flyers building, there's no way they're trading down. They're "gonna make a splash."

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
05-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Striiker
Non-factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
With the draft in the Flyers building, there's no way they're trading down. They're "gonna make a splash."
If they trade down far enough it'd kinda be a splash, wouldn't it?

Old
05-01-2014, 08:22 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You dont want a super skilled winger? We need a skilled winger nit just a big forward who can score. We have few really skilled guys on the flyers.
I do, but this team is absolutely desperate for a shoot first winger who can develop the level of play to eventually be a fit on a line with G. Would I hate it if they picked Fiala? No not exactly, but id much rather them explore trading up for someone like Ritchie or Virtanen than go for another pass first player. Something this team has plenty of.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Codith

We need to trade the pick to try and upgrade this team, whether it's obtaining a scoring winger for giroux or Defensive help

Old
05-01-2014, 08:27 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
If Perlini drops out of the top 10, then someone will move up to pick him. High end offensive player with a great motor and is becoming more and more comfortable playing in his frame (he's a big dude as well - 6'3, 205 pounds). Add another 10 to 15 pounds of muscle to his frame and he's really going to be one tough SOB to play against.

As for pick number 17, I know people are going to get sick of this, but I'm still holding out hope that it's Roland McKeown they draft. Adding legitimate good young defensemen to the system is never a bad thing.
You know me. Right now he is the kid I want the Flyers to snag but they will have to move up to get him. McKeown is a nice player and I like him but we have talent coming up on the backend. We need big quick forwards who can bang and score. Not a fan of a team of smurfs. I really think that Ghost makes the club next year and replaces Kimmo(who for me along with Coburn was a non-factor in the series as far as winning). But I do not want to get off topic. Perlini is my this years version of Landeskog,Wilson,Morin. Players who belong in Orange and Black.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:33 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
He's exactly what this team needs. Ritchie and Virtanen are closer to what we already have. How much better is Ritchie going to get? He's a man playing with boys. Virtanen has good tools, but I don't know if he has the head to maximize them.
How are Ritchie or Virtanen close to what we already have in any way? They're both good skating, shoot first wingers with size. Who fits that mold? Voracek? Nope. He's a very talented, but sometimes predictable pass first winger with an average shot. Hartnell? Nope. He's a very bad skater and is minimally effective aside from gritty goals and is incapable of creating his own chances. Simmonds? Nope. Simmer is also a great player, but his natural talent is limited. His shot is average to below average and is essentially a better skating, younger version of what I just described for Hartnell. Read? No. His shot is ok, but his talent level is that of a 3rd line, borderline 2nd line utility winger who, while a great player to have, isn't capable of creating much for himself on a consistent basis.

We need a guy who has ~40 goal potential playing with Giroux. A big bodied, shoot first winger who can skate. Not a center playing out of position, and not a pass first guy who's been told to 'shoot more'. We do not have that.

I wanted Mantha last year, this year I'm looking for one of...

1. Ritchie
2. Virtanen
3. Perlini

If we have to trade up to get one of them, then so be it.

Last edited by orange is better: 05-01-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old
05-01-2014, 08:37 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
You know me. Right now he is the kid I want the Flyers to snag but they will have to move up to get him. McKeown is a nice player and I like him but we have talent coming up on the backend. We need big quick forwards who can bang and score. Not a fan of a team of smurfs. I really think that Ghost makes the club next year and replaces Kimmo(who for me along with Coburn was a non-factor in the series as far as winning). But I do not want to get off topic. Perlini is my this years version of Landeskog,Wilson,Morin. Players who belong in Orange and Black.
If that team of smurfs wins us games I couldnt care less about their size. People who belong in the orange and black havent worked out in 30 plus years. Might be time to start thinking about skilled players over brawn.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:38 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
Wow! Way too much for Kane...unless you're talking about Patrick Kane

Old
05-01-2014, 08:41 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Wow! Way too much for Kane...unless you're talking about Patrick Kane
Probably too much value wise, but that's what it will take to get him; an overpayment. And frankly, I'd be OK with that deal. I want Brayden Schenn off of this team.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:42 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
We need a guy who has ~40 goal potential playing with Giroux. A big bodied, shoot first winger who can skate. Not a center playing out of position, and not a pass first guy who's been told to 'shoot more'. We do not have that.
I agree but any guy the Flyers draft from this years crop won't be ready to be that kind of winger in time to take advantage of Giroux's prime so I don't think that should be the thought process in picking a player. The Flyers should take the most offensively skilled player, who hopefully can skate too, even if he is smaller because this team is in dire need of top end skill all the way thru the organization.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:48 AM
orange is better
Mayor of Seeyasville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I agree but any guy the Flyers draft from this years crop won't be ready to be that kind of winger in time to take advantage of Giroux's prime so I don't think that should be the thought process in picking a player. The Flyers should take the most offensively skilled player, who hopefully can skate too, even if he is smaller because this team is in dire need of top end skill all the way thru the organization.
What would be the issue with trading up for one of those 3 players I mentioned in your field of thought then? All 3 of them are better prospects than Fiala.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
What would be the issue with trading up for one of those 3 players I mentioned in your field of thought then? All 3 of them are better prospects than Fiala.
I have got no issue with trading up just prefer different players if they are going to do it. I would take Ehlers over any of those 3 players and he should be going around the same time as those guys. Here's his scouting report from Draftsite.com http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/...-ehlers/20875/

Quote:
A Danish blazer who has high end acceleration and a set of gears. One of the best skaters in this draft. Fearless in traffic. Possesses an excellent wrist shot. Can makes plays while moving at his top gear. A bit undersized, but developing in all phases.
Sounds exactly what the Flyers need: speed and skill.

I actually would even look to go bigger and try to get up to 3rd overall for Dal Colle or Bennett. 2015 is the better draft but because of it, no team will be willing to move their pick. This year there is a little more uncertainty and besides Florida, Buffalo, and maybe Calgary, I could see every other team in the top 10 willing to move the pick for immediate help.

Old
05-01-2014, 12:55 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
How are Ritchie or Virtanen close to what we already have in any way? They're both good skating, shoot first wingers with size. Who fits that mold? Voracek? Nope. He's a very talented, but sometimes predictable pass first winger with an average shot. Hartnell? Nope. He's a very bad skater and is minimally effective aside from gritty goals and is incapable of creating his own chances. Simmonds? Nope. Simmer is also a great player, but his natural talent is limited. His shot is average to below average and is essentially a better skating, younger version of what I just described for Hartnell. Read? No. His shot is ok, but his talent level is that of a 3rd line, borderline 2nd line utility winger who, while a great player to have, isn't capable of creating much for himself on a consistent basis.

I wanted Mantha last year, this year I'm looking for one of...

1. Ritchie
2. Virtanen
3. Perlini

If we have to trade up to get one of them, then so be it.
This organization needs guys with skill. Guys that can control the play. Guys that are smart. They have two guys that can anchor a line (offensively) in their entire system- Giroux and Voracek and they play on the same line. Everyone else is a complementary player. They cannot create offense for themselves. Ritchie I don't see it. He's big, strong, and physical. I don't see much else. He's already a man. There's not much left for him to gain. It's his 3rd year in the O. He put up good not great numbers like most 3rd year eligibles. Virtanen has a lot of tools, I'm just not sure he has the head to be a top line guy.

That said, the Flyers history says they won't consider Fiala in the first.

Won't be surprised to see the pick traded though.

Closed Thread