HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Talk XVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-01-2014, 01:14 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

vCash: 500
Watching the Sharks tonight it was like I was watching the Flyers. I can only imagine how frustrated and dejected their fans are.

My predictions for the next round.

Ducks vs. Kings -- Ducks in 7

Blackhawks vs. Wild -- Blackhawks in 6

Bruins vs. Canadiens -- Bruins in 6

Penguins vs. Rangers -- Rangers in 7

Old
05-01-2014, 01:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
I guess the team that finished 3rd in the entire NHL wasn't good. Guess what? Crazy goaltending is a thing. They're allowed to have that and it can't be used to discredit a team. Were they over their heads? Possibly but god damn to say they "weren't good" is laughable. The team won one of the toughest divisions in the league, but that's just a fluke.

Regarding your edit, good teams lose sometimes. It doesn't mean they're not good.

Finishing 3rd in the NHL doesn't really mean anything, especially given the parity of the league.

They weren't good, and drew a team that wasn't really very good and couldn't beat them, and they were on their 5th goaltender. Not the first time that an overrated team wasn't good and had their record flatter them. And it won't be the last. There's one or two every year. Last year it was Anaheim and Toronto. Next year it will be someone else and people will be at odds arguing about it. It was Colorado once before too. They need to drastically improve their possession. That's not to say they won't be good next year, but they were overrated this year, and Roy sure as hell got overrated for it.

Old
05-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
These weren't even really close games making it much more of an embarrassment.
Yep

Kings outscored Sharks 18-5 in final 4 games

Old
05-01-2014, 01:58 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
Does this team really need another player who is over 35, and is signed though 2017?
dat veteran leadership.
Flyers may not have enough of it for Holmgren.

Old
05-01-2014, 02:06 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Finishing 3rd in the NHL doesn't really mean anything, especially given the parity of the league.

They weren't good, and drew a team that wasn't really very good and couldn't beat them, and they were on their 5th goaltender. Not the first time that an overrated team wasn't good and had their record flatter them. And it won't be the last. There's one or two every year. Last year it was Anaheim and Toronto. Next year it will be someone else and people will be at odds arguing about it. It was Colorado once before too. They need to drastically improve their possession. That's not to say they won't be good next year, but they were overrated this year, and Roy sure as hell got overrated for it.
You understand so little about the role of possession stats, it's actually a little incredible. Not sure anyone takes you seriously anymore, but if saying "finishing third in the NHL doesn't mean anything" doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what will.

Totally laughable.

Avs aren't amongst the Chicago/Boston/LA class of the NHL, but they are certainly a good team. You don't just ignore goaltending because it doesn't factor into corsi stats. Disregarding a major variable is exactly the opposite of proper statistical analysis.

Old
05-01-2014, 02:08 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Hawks are the best puck possession team in the league. I don't think its close.

Old
05-01-2014, 08:41 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
You understand so little about the role of possession stats, it's actually a little incredible. Not sure anyone takes you seriously anymore, but if saying "finishing third in the NHL doesn't mean anything" doesn't do the trick, I'm not sure what will.

Totally laughable.

Avs aren't amongst the Chicago/Boston/LA class of the NHL, but they are certainly a good team. You don't just ignore goaltending because it doesn't factor into corsi stats. Disregarding a major variable is exactly the opposite of proper statistical analysis.
I actually went with Fenwick-Close 5v5 which has been confirmed as a valid predictor of future success (if you do the research to which you've demonstrated you don't, so it's not your approval I'm looking for), along with the face that 6 of 8 teams with the better Score-Adjusted Fenwick went 6 for 8 in the playoffs. 75% success rate, you better pay attention. If you're 27th in 5v5-Close Fenwick and 2nd in PDO, you're gonna get exposed. It's going to happen. The Avalanche even drew an opponent that was vulnerable and still couldn't get it done. You also must really be surprised that Ryan Miller wasn't an actual upgrade to Jaroslav Halak. I mean, it's not anyone would actually think that unless they saw the numbers and lol'd when the Blues made that trade.

Otherwise, I don't care how non-credible you think I am. I've made enough connections away from here, some of them writers/credible bloggers who I'm sure don't agree with you or else they'd keep ignoring me, some of them just other people who do otherwise, researching and discussing it. Enough to the point that achieving the approval of people who continuously fail to provide evidence and/or discrediting it and/or vilifying it because they don't agree with what it says (still failing to provide evidence) in these types discussions falls somewhere in between being locked room listening to a song on an endless loop about how unabatedly happy Pharell Williams is at any given moment and bare-knuckle fighting a werewolf.

I sense you may feel the same way, although I don't know your feelings on Pharell Williams, personally I liked him way better during his N.E.R.D. days like 12 years ago.

Old
05-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Heyyy Matt Cooke gets to play again in the NHL playoffs and doesn't lose a darn penny.

Also Halak is going to the Islanders it seems according to the great Bobert Mckenzie.

Old
05-01-2014, 02:00 PM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Heyyy Matt Cooke gets to play again in the NHL playoffs and doesn't lose a darn penny.
Be easy on Cooke, he's just misunderstood.

Old
05-01-2014, 02:27 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

I didn't post my bracket here, but I was three for eight in the first round (only got Chicago, Anaheim and NYR correct). Had the Sharks beating NYR in the Final. Never picking the Sharks to win again as long as Thornton and Marleau are on the team.

Round 2, knowing the match-ups:

Pens over NYR in 5
Bruins over Habs in 6 (Habs have a great record against the Bruins recently and Rask in particular, though)

Hawks over Wild in 4
Kings over Ducks in 6

Hoping for any of the teams I picked to lose to actually win, though.

05-01-2014, 02:30 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'm really pulling for Minnesota

05-01-2014, 02:36 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Halak traded to the Isles for a conditional 4th round pick.

Old
05-01-2014, 04:43 PM
Swervin81
Du-du-du-du-du-duel

Leafs fan here.

There's a coaching thread on our boards and I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought of John Stevens as a coach. I know he helped develop Richards and Carter, but that's about it. I just want a second opinion from you guys. Thanks.

Old
05-01-2014, 04:43 PM
RussianRocket10

It's a longshot but I wouldn't mind seeing Anaheim or Minnesota win it. Highly doubt it's gonna happen though.

I really hope we don't get Chicago-LA & Boston-Pittsburgh in the Conference finals. 4 teams that I don't want to see win another the cup. They're all the Cup champs of the past 5 seasons.

Old
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Prongo
Beer

Might be some action going on in San Jose with Wilson and McLellan

Old
05-01-2014, 04:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Leafs fan here.

There's a coaching thread on our boards and I just wanted to ask you guys what you thought of John Stevens as a coach. I know he helped develop Richards and Carter, but that's about it. I just want a second opinion from you guys. Thanks.
There is a reason why he continues to be an assistant coach. He is not head coach material..trust me.

Old
05-01-2014, 04:51 PM
Jray42

vCash: 300
Quote:
Leafs fan here.

You don't want him.

Old
05-01-2014, 04:53 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Leafs fan here.

Good motivator, particularly for young players.

Lacks fundamental/team structure coaching, at least evidenced by his body of work in Philly. Play under Stevens was always disorganized.

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 05-01-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old
05-01-2014, 04:57 PM
SolidSnakeUS

He loves to give players cake .

Old
05-01-2014, 05:49 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Good motivator, particluarly for young players.

Lacks fundamental/team structure coaching, at least evidenced by his body of work in Philly. Play under Stevens was always disorganized.
This is a pretty good assessment. Good at developing and letting the kids play, but he's not going to get you to the promised land. Seems like more of a set-up coach than a closer, if you get what I mean.

Old
05-01-2014, 05:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Halak traded to the Isles for a conditional 4th round pick.
I'm going to guess he won't be signing with them regardless of their black hole in net.

Old
05-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
He loves to give players cake .
Fact: He took the Kings out for Dairy Queen after a good practice.

05-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
I didn't post my bracket here, but I was three for eight in the first round (only got Chicago, Anaheim and NYR correct). Had the Sharks beating NYR in the Final. Never picking the Sharks to win again as long as Thornton and Marleau are on the team.

Round 2, knowing the match-ups:

Pens over NYR in 5
Bruins over Habs in 6 (Habs have a great record against the Bruins recently and Rask in particular, though)

Hawks over Wild in 4
Kings over Ducks in 6

Hoping for any of the teams I picked to lose to actually win, though.
I would like to travel back in time and ask myself why I picked Colorado to win it all. Even before it started, why would I think they could ever get past SJ or Chicago, or beat Boston? What the hell reasoning was I using?

I missed on CBJ and Tampa in the east, and only Anaheim in the West. I'm shocked I got 4 of the series lengths correct

Old
05-01-2014, 06:09 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Fact: He took the Kings out for Dairy Queen after a good practice.
are you kidding?

Old
05-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
are you kidding?
I couldn't make that up.

http://twitter.com/#!/reporterchris/...25460200062976