HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Keenan for coach & Gm

Old
03-09-2007, 12:18 PM
brownman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Didn't he win a cup a few years ago?
In New Jersey, that was an established winner, not to take anything away from Pat Burns' exceptional abilities but he's not going to do anything with the Habs

brownman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownman View Post
In New Jersey, that was an established winner, not to take anything away from Pat Burns' exceptional abilities but he's not going to do anything with the Habs
Come on, Pat Burns is awesome. It's not realistic that he'd be the next Hab coach and I don't want to see Carbo fired but I wouldn't mind if he was head coach next season. Maybe Carbo could step back and be assistant again? Or maybe the Habs can be the first team to have two coaches?

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 12:32 PM
deandebean

Pat Burns would be a solid fit if this team was 1-2 years away from the prize. Right now, it's not even a .500 club (considering the overtime losses).

I love Pat. You'd have to work you azz off with him. But not right now. Maybe in a year.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:29 PM
Capitano

As long as Gainey is the GM Carbo will be behind the bench. I'd be shocked if he fires Guy. I think Gainey is will to give Carbo another year to see what happens. If we don't become a better team next year then I can see both GM and coach go.

You don't become a great coach overnight. It takes time. The fact is you won't find an experienced coach that speaks french that wants to coach the Canadiens (other than Burns, I agree). I think Guy can be a good coach...but this year seems like a write off unless something miraculously turns us around.

I remember wanting Hartley as our coach when he was available...oh well.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
clvmcs

Luongo Wanted way way to much money, I like Gm's who put greedy players on the ******* off list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
The reason is simple...

Roberto Luongo, Lukas Krajicek and a 6th round selection in 2006 for Todd Bertuzzi (later traded to Detroit for Shawn Matthias, a conditional draft selection in 2007 and a conditional 2nd round selection in 2008), Bryan Allen and Alex Auld

How do you trade away a franchise goaltender that can singlehandedly carry a team into the playoffs (and beyond) for damaged goods and a couple of support players?

This isn't a matter of "hindsight is 20/20". Luongo is, by far, without a doubt, head and shoulders above the rest, an elite goalie in the NHL and that, in most people's opinion, is the single most important thing any team can have and so he should be considered an untouchable commodity. Would New Jersey ever move Brodeur? Would Calgary trade Kiprusoff? Even if this trade had taken place before the Steve Moore incident and Bertuzzi was in his prime, even then it would still be a questionable trade.

Congrats Vancouver! I just wish Montreal or Ottawa could have jumped on Luongo first.

PS: Mike Keenan for coach & Gm - Hell no!

clvmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by clvmcs View Post
Luongo Wanted way way to much money, I like Gm's who put greedy players on the ******* off list
and he traded him for a bag of pucks ...
Keenan should be the last guy on any teams gm list. period.

Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
clvmcs

I'd Like to try my hand at coaching, better yet Gm for a season. First up, you overpaid bums, buy your own hockey sticks. Oh by the way, almost all good canadain folks work 8-10 hrs a day, so once again you heartless over pd bums, in the gym for your daily 8 hrs. hahaha...I don't think they won't like me very much but hey...I'm the boss.

clvmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
LeHab

Quote:
At some point Lungo wanted to sign long term for 5 millions a year which was still a steal for Florida, but Keenan decided to be greedy and went for arbitration. It is not like Keenan did not had the chance to sign him for a very reasonable price.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
How do you trade away a franchise goaltender that can singlehandedly carry a team into the playoffs (and beyond) for damaged goods and a couple of support players?
What? He has never carried anybody to anywhere, and Bertuzzi wasn't damaged goods.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:34 PM
Le Maroons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
What? He has never carried anybody to anywhere, and Bertuzzi wasn't damaged goods.
I agree about Luongo, but Bertuzzi was and is damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. He could rebound however.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:38 PM
GNick42

Quote:
Or at least someone, for both jobs, that has never worked or played for the habs.
We'd see how fast Kovy would want to get out of town..the bum !! hahaha !!
Keenan would be a notch below Houle

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
What do coaches get worse over time or something? He's won the Jack Adams 3 times with 3 different teams, won a cup in NJ, led the Leafs to two consecutive appearances in the conference finals, and led Montreal to a final during his tenure there. Admittedly he didn't fare well in Boston, but I still don't see how he's a step backward. He's established himself as a great coach. The only risk is his health but he claims that the cancer is gone, and he's ready to get back behind the bench again.
Do you think Burns is crazy enough - especially after going thru cancer - to come back behind the Habs bench, and face the Montreal's media everyday ? No way ! He is a great friend of Gretzky. Phoenix, I think, is his next destination.

But, a guy like Bob Hartley would come. Like many others, he is dreaming to coach that team and try to prove that he got the solutions.

Last edited by habitue*: 03-09-2007 at 06:56 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 06:52 PM
Reuben

can you imagine how many more benchings there would be under Keenan? people like to whine and complain about carbo's treatment of certain players as it is right now, keenan would make carbo look like an angel in that regard. i wonder if some people would try and suggest that Keenan is favoring or dislikes certain groups of players? somehow i doubt they would.

Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 07:06 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
Pat Burns would be a solid fit if this team was 1-2 years away from the prize. Right now, it's not even a .500 club (considering the overtime losses).

I love Pat. You'd have to work you azz off with him. But not right now. Maybe in a year.
Well to be technical we are still .500. Our OTL category is misleading because 5 losses have come in shootouts. Don't tell me shootouts now count as normal losses, because in the old NHL they'd be 1 pt. as well, but for ties. So, really with the one OT game we dropped (2-1 to the Devils), we're 2 games above .500. But this is likely a moot point as .500 will seem like a distant memory in 2 weeks or so.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Maroons View Post
I agree about Luongo, but Bertuzzi was and is damaged goods as far as I'm concerned. He could rebound however.
No, he wasn't damaged goods. He injured his back with Florida. He wasn't injured coming over to Florida. It was an unforseeable injury that makes the deal look bad. As for the poster who said Keenan would be a notch below Houle.......

To St. Louis: Craig Conroy, Pierre Turgeon and Rory Fitzpatrick

To Montreal: Shayne Corson, Murray Baron and a 5th

This is probably the single most one sided trade of all time. In this deal, it wasn't a salary dump. It wasn't a case of Montreal trading expiring contracts, and it certainly wasn't a case of the Habs trying to get younger. This is was just straight up a crappy trade. Turgeon was one of the top scorers of the decade, and Conroy was an up and coming 2nd/3rd line center. Fitzpatrick and the 5th are a wash I guess, but come on, this trade was just mind blowingly stupid. Not only in hindsight, but at the time. Don't tell me Houle is a step up on Keenan, because this trade proves that otherwise. Houle is the worst gm in history.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:11 PM
Cyrrus147

Quote:
Or at least someone, for both jobs, that has never worked or played for the habs.

Please tell me that you are just trolling.....

Mike Keenan the same guys who trade Luongo for Bertuzzi and Allen?

Come on

Cyrrus147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:59 PM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhead58 View Post
The GM or the Coach is not the problem in Montreal. The problem is overpaid, underachieving players (aka Kovalev, Koivu, Ryder, Samsonov) who play with no heart or ambition to win and succeed. Thats the problem. Koivu has heart, but he just isn't the type of guy who can lead the team...and he is not a 1st line centermen....maybe if he had incredible wingers...then he may be...but not on the current Canadiens roster.

Time to get rid of the aging trash and get in some young blood. Some players that want to play and want to win in Montreal.

I would rather see them get rid of the 4 players I mentioned above and use rookies to replace them next season. At least then we would be making a solid effort to rebuild a broken team. Grabovski, Chipchura, Kostitsyn, Milroy and Ferland could replace Koivu, Kovalev, Ryder and Samsonov....they couldn't possibly do any worse and with that many rookies in the lineup, they would play whatever way the coaches want.
Ryder is NOT aging trash. He is a sniper who gets a minimum of 25 goals per year, and may top out at 40 or more in a couple of years. I would keep Ryder and try to get as top playmaking centre on the team.

I would not be averse to moving Koivu, who I think is an excellent 2nd centre but not a top 1st centre, or Kovalev, who has moves but I think has slowed somewhat, but only if we can get reasonable value in return.

Samsonov is pretty useless, and will not fetch much. If he does not have a good training camp next year, he may have to waived and sent to the minors.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:40 PM
V-2 Schneider

This board has turned into a lunatic asylum.

It's only hockey, not real life.

V-2 Schneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
No, he wasn't damaged goods. He injured his back with Florida. He wasn't injured coming over to Florida. It was an unforseeable injury that makes the deal look bad. As for the poster who said Keenan would be a notch below Houle.......

To St. Louis: Craig Conroy, Pierre Turgeon and Rory Fitzpatrick

To Montreal: Shayne Corson, Murray Baron and a 5th

This is probably the single most one sided trade of all time. In this deal, it wasn't a salary dump. It wasn't a case of Montreal trading expiring contracts, and it certainly wasn't a case of the Habs trying to get younger. This is was just straight up a crappy trade. Turgeon was one of the top scorers of the decade, and Conroy was an up and coming 2nd/3rd line center. Fitzpatrick and the 5th are a wash I guess, but come on, this trade was just mind blowingly stupid. Not only in hindsight, but at the time. Don't tell me Houle is a step up on Keenan, because this trade proves that otherwise. Houle is the worst gm in history.

This in IMO is the worst trade in MTL history:

TRADE: Montreal traded Langway, Doug Jarvis, Craig Laughlin and Brian Engblom to Washington in exchange for Ryan Walter and Rick Green on September 10, 1982.

P.S. Say no to Iron Mike.

- Ken Dryden

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 03-09-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
I would like to see a non-Hab take over as GM, but not Keenan! Price and all othe good youngsters would be gone under him!!

Montreal needs to go the Shero or Chiarelli route. Hockey guys that went through the system and learned how a team is built and operates, not a GM who is an ex-player with no past experience or a guy who had past glory...it is time to think outside the box.

I think Montreal would be smart to see Gainey go and stay inside the organization and promote Trevor Timmins as GM. He is very smart, great eye for talent and has worked in two systems Ottawa and Montreal and like Shero and Chiarelli he has paid his dues and worked in various levels and positions in the organizations he has been a part of...also like the two mentioned he is young, I think Timmins is the logical choice.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:06 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
The reason Keenan was risking losing Luongo to free agency for nothing was because he was playing hardball in negotiating a new contract. Luongo wanted to stay in Florida, all Keenan had to do was pay him what he was asking for. I don't care what the salary cap is, Luongo is irreplacable and you pay him whatever it takes to keep him. Vancouver jumped all over that situation and now sit 3rd in the West, 1st in their division, whereas Florida is left out in the cold and looking at another top-10 pick in this year's draft.
Not true....according to Bob McKenzie (who I totally trust) and what I recall about the negotiations.

It was said that Luongo's contract "demands" were a moving target. Keenan would meet them, then poof....the Luongo camp would change them. Additionally, it wasn't Keenans decision alone. Martin was given veto power on any player movement.

Say what you want about Keenan, but I don't think he's to blame for the Luongo trade.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:09 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
This in IMO is the worst trade in MTL history:

TRADE: Montreal traded Langway, Doug Jarvis, Craig Laughlin and Brian Engblom to Washington in exchange for Ryan Walter and Rick Green on September 10, 1982.

P.S. Say no to Iron Mike.

Sorry, not as one-sided as the Roy deal.

At least both Green and Walter were very decent players who played a role in winning a cup. Green especially was a very, very solid defensman. Almost impossible to beat one-on-one and a very adept crease clearer. Walter scored nearly 40 goals and 90 pts with washington. And was a young player at the time.

Plus, Langway demanded a trade...wanted to play in the US.

Old
03-09-2007, 11:11 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesCanadiens View Post
Sorry, not as one-sided as the Roy deal.

At least both Green and Walter were very decent players who played a role in winning a cup. Green especially was a very, very solid defensman. Almost impossible to beat one-on-one and a very adept crease clearer.
I didn't mind Ryan or Green, my thought was more losing Langway.

I can't believe I forgot that one, I concede, you are right LesCanadiens.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:13 PM
LesCanadiens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
I didn't mind Ryan or Green, my thought was more losing Langway.

I can't believe I forgot that one, I concede, you are right LesCanadiens.
Cool...and you can just call me Les. LOL. Super-sarcasm...sorry about that.

Last edited by LesCanadiens: 03-10-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old
03-10-2007, 12:01 AM
LesCanadiens

My favorite description of Mike Keenan:

Gino Odjick explains the difference between himself and coach Mike Keenan; "He gets frustrated and says stupid things. I get frustrated and do stupid things."