HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Lines next season (minus Shany)?

Old
03-09-2007, 10:29 PM
Evgeny Oliker

vCash: 1140
Lines next season (minus Shany)?

Ok, I know, I know, we spoke about lines for next season before. However, it seems to me that most of you here want to keep Shany?

Don't get me wrong, I like Shany a lot, he is a great leader and scorer. However, he is also 38. We have so many good young prospects in the AHL level that are ready or almost ready to play in the NHL...and guys like Shany will block them from making that next move.

So now that we've seen the likes of Dubinsky, Immonen, etc., at the NHL level...I think we should not re-sign Shany.

Here are my lines for next year:

Hossa - Nylander -Jagr
Avery - Dubinsky - Straka
Jessiman - Cullen - Callahan
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmayer

extra: Immonen/Orr/Isbister

Tyutin - Staal
Mara - Girardi
Rozsival - Pock

extra: Baranka/Sauer/Liffiton

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:34 PM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Who's Shany? personally I don't have a problem with them bringing Shanny back for another year. After all, who do we have that would be a better leader and role model for the young guys?

After looking at your lines I don't see it happening. Dubinsky and Callahan maybe, but Jessiman probably won't be ready. If more than 2 kids are ready then guys like Ortmeyer or Betts might be on the way out.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:35 PM
ThirdEye

Looks good to me. I'd be more than happy if they actually turned out this way

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Ízil

I highly doubt Jessiman makes this team next year.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Onion Boy

if you take Shanny out then who is gonna mentor the kids? There isn't one English-speaking vet on that whole roster.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 11:49 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Not sure how 8 minutes of Dubinsky shows you that Shanny is expendable

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:10 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

No way...where the hell is Prucha???

Shanny stays.

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Avery
Callahan-Betts-Ortmeyer

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:37 AM
xander

I'd be shocked if Jessiman makes this team next year, I'd be thrilled if he's playing top 6 minutes in hartford.

If Dawes doesn't carve himself a spot on next year's roster then somthing is seriously wrong; either in his development, or how the brass sees him.

Ideally Avery is a third line player, as is Cullen. Those two should make up the center and left wing on the third line (I prefer Avery at center because he's more of a playmaker and cullen more of a shooter.) It would make sense for Callahan to play on their right, but he's going to have to win his spot in camp.

As for Dubinsky, I liked what I saw on thursday night, but i'm not about to assume that he makes the team next year. Right now he's in the group of forwards who are serious contenders (Dawes, Callahan, Dubinsky, and maybe Korpikoski.)

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
Ok, I know, I know, we spoke about lines for next season before.
I feel like i am taking crazy pills....

Stop with these awful threads....you can't predict lines because every year there are free agent signings and trades.

Show me an off-season without any moves, and i will sincerely apologize....otherwise....focus on this year or read a book to fill your time.

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:06 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:

So now that we've seen the likes of Dubinsky, Immonen, etc., at the NHL level...I think we should not re-sign Shany.

What have we seen from Immonen that makes you think Shanny is expendable...especially when you have him a healthy scratch?

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:35 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Ok, here we go. Some big summer trades that ofcourse goes down as planned

Top line / Scoring line
Hossa - Rickhards - Hossa

2nd line / Supportive scoring line
Prucha - Straka - Shanny

3rd line / The 2-way line
Avery - Cullen - Lundqvist

4th line / Checking line
Hollweg - Betts - Ortmeyer

Reserves who playes when there are spots to fill
Dawes, Jessiman, Orr and Callahan. It is a long season and they will all play a part.

1st D-pair
Hannan - Mara

2nd D-par
Tyutin - Ballard

3rd D-pair
Malik - Staal

7th D-man
Baranka

Goalies:
Lundqvist
Holmqvist

Trades and lines: Hossa for Jagr and Nylander. The Hossa brothers are united and along with star center Brad Rickhards they form one of the best line in the whole NHL. Cost a lot of money but they will be worth it. Atlanta lost a key player but with Jagr and Nylander playing with Kovalchuk they have a very creative and deadly first line. Since Tampa quickly made a deal with Gomez to be their front face down in Florida we managed to get Rickhards for "only" Montoya and the first NYR pick-09. They wanted to build a hispanic front face to get some attention down south. With Montoya in the team they did not resign Holmqvist who after a fairly good season signed with his former NHL team, the New York Rangers.
No new signings for the second line. To keep, now 39 year old, Shanny fresh when the post season begins his spot will be shared with the reserves so they get some healthy experince for the next season when he is gone.
The 3rd line sees one new face...or? The face of goalie Henrik will be seen on the 3rd line since his twin brother is traded from Dallas to form a very strong line who can defend, create, agitate and put the puck in the net.
For 4th line H-B-O will continue their hard work in getting the other teams star players to look twice over the shoulder every time they step out on the ice. Not much to say about them since their job is to play 0-0 with the other team.

At D their will be som key changes with Hannan coming in as a free agent. After an ok season he have gotten more used to the new NHL┤s way of defending and along with reborn Mara who will be supporting defender in the attacks they form a strong, competetive first pair.
With an unhappy Ballard in Arizona we send P÷ck and Rozi down south and they ship Keith back to us. With Tyutin he form one of the leagues hardest hitting units who can both defend and attack when needed.
Malik will use his final years contracted to the organization to teach upcoming star Staal all there is to know about the NHL.
As a 7th D-man Baranka is brought up to the big club after 2 solid season in the AHL.

Well that┤s it. Team will be pretty close to the cap limit but if your on Broadway you better be prepared to spend.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Ola

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Korpikoski
Avery-Betts-Ortmayer
Orr

Staal-Roszival
Rachunek-Mara
Girardi-Tyutin
Malik

Lundqvist
UFA/Montoyta

This is what I would like to see. 4 even lines. I love the balance, a good 1st line, a really good checking line (Avery-Betts-Orts), and two lines that can ship in some offense and still be solid defensivly.

I think a team with this balance are bound to work extremely hard.

Orr would play instead of Dubinsky (Orr-Dubi-Shanahan) or Korpikoksi (Prucha-Cullen-Orts, Avery-Betts-Orr) when needed.

I do belive its extremely important to get Korpikoski and Dubinsky into the lineup if they can hold their own on a 2nd or 3rd lines. They come with allot of energy, and are also damn good players. I personally am allot more impressed with Korpikoski then I were/am with Dawes, he got a tremendous engine and allot of offensive potential. I think Dubi and Shanahan might develop allot of chemistry, Brendan would open up ice for Dubi, and he can also finnish Dubis feeds.

Some might react on the balance I got, like Avery on the "4th" ect. But I would like to see Renney use that line as a checking line/energy line, and could defenitly see my 4th getting more ice time 5 on 5 then my 2nd. The 3rd would also have tremendous energy, hustle and speed 5 on 5. I don't belive we ever can ask for a coach to spare our stars, not play them to death, unless he got options. With this lineup we would have that.

PP units:
Avery-Dubinksy/Hossa-Shanahan-Mara-Cullen
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr-Straka-Roszival

I also really like that blueline. Staal would only get around 14-15 minutes 5 on 5 with Roszival, its not such a big role actually. Its a perfect position for him since he would get a opertunity to jump start his offensive game with Nylander and Jagr, he would play allot with the puck.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:23 AM
johnny_rudeboy

I like my lines better Ola

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:40 AM
Dilettante

I think the team is gonna look pretty much the same, I hope they can grab a legit #1 defenseman:

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Avery-Straka-Shanahan
Isbister-Cullen-Prucha
Hollweg-Betts-Ortmeyer

Hannan-Tyutin
Mara-Girardi
Roszival-Malik

extras: Orr, Rachunek

Lundqvist
Weekes

I don't see a lot of kids being brought up, maybe Dawes replaces Isbister if he has a good camp. Since our defense has been so strong the last few months, I don't expect Renney to break up the D-corps significantly, Hannan is more wishful thinking than anything else, we're more likely to see Mara-Rachunek still together. I hope Baranka gets a good look but I doubt he'll see any meaningful minutes unless there's an injury. It would be nice to see Roszival-Malik not our top pair anymore.

Dilettante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:51 AM
blue2noise

I'd love to get rid of Nylander and insert Gomez.

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:08 AM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:
Ok, I know, I know, we spoke about lines for next season before. However, it seems to me that most of you here want to keep Shany?

Don't get me wrong, I like Shany a lot, he is a great leader and scorer. However, he is also 38. We have so many good young prospects in the AHL level that are ready or almost ready to play in the NHL...and guys like Shany will block them from making that next move.

Here are my lines for next year:

Hossa - Nylander -Jagr
Jessiman - Cullen - Callahan

Tyutin - Staal
Mara - Girardi
Rozsival - Pock

Im trying to figure out why Prucha isnt in the lineup?

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:13 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51tyutin51 View Post
No way...where the hell is Prucha???

Shanny stays.

Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Avery
Callahan-Betts-Ortmeyer

You said it 51tyuts, I dig the line combos too, but I'd put back Hollweg.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:40 AM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

We can't resign Shanahan. He is a leader but besides his blazing start stopped providing offense. He is 38 and we can sign a much better F.A...possibly a good solid defenseman that we will need. Also he is a distraction as he and Jagr seem to be in a constant power struggle. The team has a leader...Jagr and keeping Shanahan will disrupt the team harmony.

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
What have we seen from Immonen that makes you think Shanny is expendable...especially when you have him a healthy scratch?
I think they should trade Immonen while he still has some value. Looking at the Rangers' graduated forward prospects like Prucha, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, recent acquistions of Avery, Bourret, Isbister, and the Hartford prospects, it doesn't look like he fits the mold of want Sather wants the team to be.

Old
03-10-2007, 09:08 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
I think they should trade Immonen while he still has some value. Looking at the Rangers' graduated forward prospects like Prucha, Hollweg, Ortmeyer, recent acquistions of Avery, Bourret, Isbister, and the Hartford prospects, it doesn't look like he fits the mold of want Sather wants the team to be.

Exactly...he's still an asset, but, I don't think he fits the mold of the players they are looking to build this team around.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Can we wait until the season is completed before we start drawing up projected line-ups?By season I mean the all of the leagues-NHL,AHL,ECHL,CHL,NCAA,etc

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prucha25Graves988 View Post
Im trying to figure out why Prucha isnt in the lineup?
Leadership - I dont think that we need to depend on Shany for leadership all the time. I think in order for us to win the Cup, we need to create some of our own young leaders...would be nice if they were from the Rangers system too. So maybe an Avery becomes a leader. Maybe a Dubinsky(from our system) becomes a leader. Maybe Tyutin becomes a stronger leader on D? Ortmayer of course has leadership potential! Staal, down the line , may become a leader...

Dubinsky - 8 minutes of him does not make Shany expendable. What makes Shany expendable is that we have A LOT of guys in the AHL that are ready or very close to ready to play in the NHL (Dubinsky,Immonen,Callahan,Dawes,etc)

Sorry folks, Prucha should be in there...don't know why I forgot him (putting Prucha in instead of Jessiman...assuming Jessiman won't be ready):

Hossa - Nylander -Jagr
Prucha - Cullen - Callahan

Tyutin - Staal
Mara - Girardi
Rozsival - Pock

Last edited by Evgeny Oliker: 03-10-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Old
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
In The Flesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Hossa-Nylander-Jagr
Straka-Dubinsky-Shanahan
Prucha-Cullen-Korpikoski
Avery-Betts-Ortmayer
Orr

Staal-Roszival
Rachunek-Mara
Girardi-Tyutin
Malik

Lundqvist
UFA/Montoyta

This is what I would like to see. 4 even lines. I love the balance, a good 1st line, a really good checking line (Avery-Betts-Orts), and two lines that can ship in some offense and still be solid defensivly.

I think a team with this balance are bound to work extremely hard.

Orr would play instead of Dubinsky (Orr-Dubi-Shanahan) or Korpikoksi (Prucha-Cullen-Orts, Avery-Betts-Orr) when needed.

I do belive its extremely important to get Korpikoski and Dubinsky into the lineup if they can hold their own on a 2nd or 3rd lines. They come with allot of energy, and are also damn good players. I personally am allot more impressed with Korpikoski then I were/am with Dawes, he got a tremendous engine and allot of offensive potential. I think Dubi and Shanahan might develop allot of chemistry, Brendan would open up ice for Dubi, and he can also finnish Dubis feeds.

Some might react on the balance I got, like Avery on the "4th" ect. But I would like to see Renney use that line as a checking line/energy line, and could defenitly see my 4th getting more ice time 5 on 5 then my 2nd. The 3rd would also have tremendous energy, hustle and speed 5 on 5. I don't belive we ever can ask for a coach to spare our stars, not play them to death, unless he got options. With this lineup we would have that.

PP units:
Avery-Dubinksy/Hossa-Shanahan-Mara-Cullen
Prucha-Nylander-Jagr-Straka-Roszival

I also really like that blueline. Staal would only get around 14-15 minutes 5 on 5 with Roszival, its not such a big role actually. Its a perfect position for him since he would get a opertunity to jump start his offensive game with Nylander and Jagr, he would play allot with the puck.

No way Avery is on the 4th line.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Evgeny Oliker

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
No way Avery is on the 4th line.
ye, Avery at the least is a 3rd liner...but I think of him more as a very good 2nd liner that can even play on the 1st line.

Old
03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Exactly...he's still an asset, but, I don't think he fits the mold of the players they are looking to build this team around.
I'm hesitant to trade him because I like his skill set, If he improves his skating I think he'll be a pretty dangerous playmaker. However, like you said, he doesn't seem to fit with what Sather is going for. He's too good to waste away in the press box, i also don't think he has the leadership skills that the Wolfpack would want in a veteran. He's still young and could bring back a decent return, either a good draft pick or a leader for the Wolfpack.