HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stay or Go: Lecavalier

View Poll Results: Stay or Go: Lecavalier
Stay 29 20.00%
Go 116 80.00%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-01-2014, 12:20 AM
Garbage Goal

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Well, the contract really isn't that bad. $4.5 mil with how much the cap is supposed to go up? That's really not bad at all. Briere was what, $6.5 mil? With a smaller cap?

The thing is, we don't have that many good powerplay players or pure goal scorers. Look at how the 2nd unit struggles. Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds and Vinny are our good powerplay forwards. Hartnell can be, the others don't really get anything done. No one has a shot that matches Vinny, which is why he'd be great in Voracek's spot. He could get better shots off much quicker than Jake.

None of our guys other than Vinny are really pure goal scorers, we have a lot of garbage goal guys and a couple that are capable of good snipes in Read, Schenn and Giroux but don't really use their shots as often as they should. Vinny would be a perfect guy for Giroux or Jake to feed pucks to, we saw that with Vinny's chance in the 1st tonight and earlier in the year when he played with Giroux. Too bad Giroux and Jake have been glued together since G's goal, breaking them up could really help balance the offense.

I think we need to give him a pass on faceoffs, he's normally above 50%. It seemed like his face off numbers dropped after his injury, but he started to pull it up towards the end. Besides, Schenn and Couts are pretty bad at faceoffs. Vinny has proven he can be a lot better than either, if we don't keep Hall around that could be invaluable if he gets it back up to scrap.
He's only a goal scorer in the sense that he's best at that right now and he has a crazy good one-timer. In reality though he's a 25'ish goal scorer even in a more full year and no regression which is not any better then any of the other myriad of 20 to 30 goal guys we have.

He's supposedly a center who can't play wing (and he definitely can't play wing) yet he's been terrible at face-offs this season, is definitely terrible defensively, can't PK, and is a far better PP player then ES player and all on a team that is log jammed at center. None of that description fits well together or describes a great player.

Lecavalier adds an element of goal scoring on the PP that isn't related to net crashing and that's the extent of his usefulness. In reality we have plenty of good PP players though. Hartnell, Simmonds, Giroux, Streit, and Voracek all range from okay to great at it. The team on the whole lacks actual high quality goal scorers so it's not their fault the roster lacks that.

Lecavalier isn't a good fit here logistically but also he's just way too risky and one-dimensional a player to keep around with that contract. Doesn't matter if it's a lower cap hit, it's long-term by the new CBA standard and with an NMC to a big name player. That creates problems and distractions regardless of cap hit. He's also just not a useful enough player to want on this team. On a completely offense starved team lacking in center depth or a team with zero center depth he would probably be a great pickup on a one or two year deal, but he's not a good fit here in general and no team should want him at the contract he has.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:30 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

I'm still holding out hope that his injury/injuries have played a big part in his lackluster play.

I like the guy and would love to see him do well here, but if what we have seen over the past few months is the "real" Vinny, then it's probably the right time to say sayonara.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:06 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

After watching Vinny in the playoffs I voted "Go"

05-01-2014, 07:11 AM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
Let his agent find a team that wants him and trade him there for a 7th round pick.
Who knows, maybe we'd draft a Datsyuk with that pick, anything would be better than him at this points. Also with Laughton coming soon why would holmgren even bother signing him?

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:42 AM
DaftCaptain

go. unless bSchenn is traded.

DaftCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:02 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

The way I see it, Schenn will get more value than Vinny, so trade him instead. They both looked bleh this season and both looked awful in the playoffs. I don't see many jumping at Vinny and his contract with his play this season. Vinny at the second line center position for the whole season has more potential for good things than what I have seen out Schenn since he got here.

For real tho, how many long-ass contracts are we gonna trade out of right after making them? ****'s embarrassing...

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:20 AM
south jersey flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseGolfCarts View Post
The way I see it, Schenn will get more value than Vinny, so trade him instead. They both looked bleh this season and both looked awful in the playoffs. I don't see many jumping at Vinny and his contract with his play this season. Vinny at the second line center position for the whole season has more potential for good things than what I have seen out Schenn since he got here.

For real tho, how many long-ass contracts are we gonna trade out of right after making them? ****'s embarrassing...
Of course Schenn has more value and would fetch more in a trade, but that doesn't mean we should trade him. He's 22 and is still trying to find his niche in the league. Trading him now would be getting rid of yet another goal scorer and would open up a hole on this team. Let Schenn stay and improve and get rid of Lecavalier, who won't get much better than he played this year.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
The way I see it, Schenn will get more value than Vinny, so trade him instead.
I guess we learn nothing from the JVR fiasco.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
Of course Schenn has more value and would fetch more in a trade, but that doesn't mean we should trade him. He's 22 and is still trying to find his niche in the league. Trading him now would be getting rid of yet another goal scorer and would open up a hole on this team. Let Schenn stay and improve and get rid of Lecavalier, who won't get much better than he played this year.
Have we really seen an upside from Schenn though?
I mean with Couturier we haven't seen his offense yet but we've seen him have stretches of excellence throughout the past few seasons.
I can't really remember a good stretch of games where Schenn hasn't been invisible most the time, at least this season.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:39 AM
south jersey flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post
Have we really seen an upside from Schenn though?
I mean with Couturier we haven't seen his offense yet but we've seen him have stretches of excellence throughout the past few seasons.
I can't really remember a good stretch of games where Schenn hasn't been invisible most the time, at least this season.
Schenn has a great shot, he's a good skater, and he's physical. He'll come good. He just needs to learn how to be in the correct positions on the ice.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

If he and Schenn are both here next year, one's going to have to commit to playing wing.

I liked healthy Lecavalier earlier this season--if he can rest up and get back to that level of play, it'd be great to keep him. I don't see it happening though. I'm not sure what team would take him that he'd waive to. Ideally, Tampa'd take him back on the new contract.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
Schenn has a great shot, he's a good skater, and he's physical. He'll come good. He just needs to learn how to be in the correct positions on the ice.
He does, but those tools he has mostly describes a good winger. As far as a second line center he has been nothing but a liability defensively and really doesn't have the playmaking ability to make his line productive.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:37 PM
blinds

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post
He does, but those tools he has mostly describes a good winger. As far as a second line center he has been nothing but a liability defensively and really doesn't have the playmaking ability to make his line productive.
I agree, Schenn should be a winger for us. Couts has the tools to be our 2C, just not yet. We should be letting Schenn develop as a winger, keep Vinny as a stopgap 2C and let Couts develop a little until he can take over for Vinny.

Last edited by blinds: 05-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I'd rather have him than B Schenn to be perfectly honest.
I may stab someone if they trade Schenn and keep Lecavalier.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 06:01 PM
04' hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
I may stab someone if they trade Schenn and keep Lecavalier.
I'll try to hold Homer for you while you do the deed

04' hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 06:14 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
He was very good at the beginning of the season, it depends on his health and the return actually. I'd say stay because I don't think we'd get something good for him. When used properly (like not on the 4th line), he can still be pretty effective imo. And his cap hit isn't that bad.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
If the Flyers retained half his salary, I think they'd find a taker, but if they take Matt Walker back, at least make sure it's a functional human being.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 07:43 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I really dont think we even need to take salary back. He is not going to want to play here if the Flyers tell him he will not be a center in the top 9. Let him find a team to go to and trade him for nothing

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:35 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
carchidi was asked if vinny would be back, and he said " he's staying"

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 10:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Carchidi is an idiot. I'd get more useful information asking questions to a sack of hammers

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
That's actually good news because that guy is clueless.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Prongo
Beer

See if Dallas has any interest. Young team up front and needs a 2nd line center. Could be a good fit all around. They wanted him before.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Carchidi is an idiot. I'd get more useful information asking questions to a sack of hammers
can you spell retard (im not a fan of this word by the way) for me?

05-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Cuiff

I voted go but its not likely someone will want him

Cuiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:27 AM
dats81

I guess it's up to Vinny to make a decision:

His NTC does not really count. If he wants out to play top-6 minutes, he will gladly waive his NTC to get wherever he believes will provide the best fit.

If he has indeed been playing hurt for half of the season, he might as well stay to beat out Schenn for the 2nd center spot, which given Schenn's performance this year is definitely feasible.

Players a lot worse carrying worse contracts have been traded. There will be teams calling for his services if he is made available...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote