HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida shopping first overall pick...

Old
05-02-2014, 06:47 AM
rumschlag182

vCash: 500
Florida shopping first overall pick...

@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Who's going to make the trade? What does everyone think it would take to get the first overall pick?

rumschlag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:51 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumschlag182 View Post
@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Who's going to make the trade? What does everyone think it would take to get the first overall pick?
A rumour like this comes out around this time every year with whoever has the first overall, I highly doubt he was serious

13pacheco31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:53 AM
Boom Boom Anton

IMO, if he is shopping it, he is likely only willing to move down a handful of slots...maybe to 3-4 at most. If that's the case, I would say what he'll get is probably a couple of 2nd round picks OR a pick and player. That's historically what has been given in those cases.

If he is truly shopping it for teams even lower than that (which I would doubt), then said teams are going to have to offer a LOT more than that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:54 AM
supert

Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:56 AM
UlfSamuelsson
Save By Lundqvist!

vCash: 243
If true, and if serious, I'd imagine they'd want some talent to inject in the line up and perhaps a 2015 first? I can see a Tallon increasing next years lottery odds. Not that Florida is, but Mr. McDavid will convince some fringe teams to rebuild/retool sooner rather than later.

UlfSamuelsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:57 AM
RoseTintedVisor
Frans Nielsen?!?!?

Isles probably have the chips to trade up. Curious what it would take.

RoseTintedVisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish GMs with the #1 pick would learn to say "We're going to do our due diligence, but I doubt we'll trade it."

05-02-2014, 07:00 AM
rumschlag182

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Edmonton . Yakupov + . Yakupov will probably end up better then anyone in this draft as a goal score , but a deal like this lets Edmonton become more balance and gives Florida a winger for one of their big centres . I know Oiler fans will not like the fact i had a plus , but the fact is there is a risk factor . I am also an Oiler fan so it would depend on us agreeing on the +
Here is another quote I read.

Were moving forward. Im going to fix it. We have great support now from [new owner] Vinnie Viola, and were going to add the pieces to help these kids get where they need to be.

Seems to me they are looking for established players who can be role models to all the young talent they have.

rumschlag182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:00 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
Quote:
For the 2372345235th time Oiler fans, you are not getting a redo on that first overall pick of Yakupov. Either you have to hope he decides to actually try to play defense, or sell him low.

internetdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:03 AM
Dr Robot

I doubt Florida will drop out of the top 5 without a ransom note being involved somehow but I think their options are limited with the give and take of the other 4 teams. Would Calgary give up 1st+bart or Van doing Horvat+1st for the top slot?

Edit: Or just to get weird. Anaheim-Hampus Lindholm+10th(sens) for the 1st overall.

Last edited by Dr Robot: 05-02-2014 at 07:21 AM.
Dr Robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:04 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumschlag182 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13pacheco31 View Post
A rumour like this comes out around this time every year with whoever has the first overall, I highly doubt he was serious
Oilers shopped their pick every year and never got an offer that rocked their boat.

Any GM that does not shop the pick to see if he can hit a home run should not be a GM--Even leading up to the Crosby draft--the pens talked a few teams to see of team were willing to give up a alot to get the kid

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:06 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Just for reference, the last time anyone traded the #1 pick was 2003, when Florida went from #1-#3 in a deep draft because they didn't want a Goalie and PITT did. That trade was the first pick and 73rd pick to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the third pick, the 55th pick, and Mikael Samuelsson.

The year before, Florida made a similar swap going from #1-#3. That trade was was the #1 to CLB for the #3 and the option to swap 2003 1st round picks (not exercised).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:22 AM
Steve

Quote:
I like Yakupov but I would not trade Ekblad for Yakupov.. Bennet or Reinhart maybe but IMO, it takes quite a bit more than that. Yakupov has a ton of talent but he's certainly not lived up to it as of yet.

Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Dunkster19

Buffalo offers Myers

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:27 AM
pigpen65

Never happens

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:31 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Dale Tallon is a GM doing what GMs are supposed to do (see the value of their pick).

Other GMs are going to do what GMs are supposed to do (see what Tallon wants for the pick).

In the end, either Tallon won't think he's offered enough or other GMs will think he's asking too much. Tallon will pick first overall, and all the rumors of "what could have been" trades as well as fantasy line-ups of "if my team gets first overall, my lineup will look like this for the next ten years" will live on in HF lore.

In other words, I'm not expecting much.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:33 AM
416Leafer

Id be surprised to see him trade it straight up.

IF it were traded, most likely it would be for another pick in the top 10 + a piece that can help now (and longterm, therefore under contract for foreseeable future). That way Tallon would be improving now (while Luongo/Campbell are still good) but still adding to the longterm talent/depth.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:35 AM
5 4 Fighting
Big member

vCash: 783
Derek Stepan and John Moore

5 4 Fighting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:35 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Robot View Post
I doubt Florida will drop out of the top 5 without a ransom note being involved somehow but I think their options are limited with the give and take of the other 4 teams. Would Calgary give up 1st+bart or Van doing Horvat+1st for the top slot?

Edit: Or just to get weird. Anaheim-Hampus Lindholm+10th(sens) for the 1st overall.
The 1st overall is valuable, but not that valuable in this year's draft. Anaheim would be loopy to give up both Lindholm and the 10th overall for #1. Lindolm himself could very well end up being better than Ekblad. Also, this year I think there's a very good chance that another player outside the top 5 becomes the best player out of this draft.

Florida is smart to look for a big pay-off for the #1 pick this year, but other teams should be wary.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:38 AM
sabrezombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
Buffalo offers Myers
No, they don't.

sabrezombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:40 AM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree that Tallon has to see what he can get. I do not see anyone giving him anything he will accept though unless it is an established nhl player that the Panthers know will help but still have contract rights for a few years plus a number one in top 7 or 8 this year or surefire lottery pick next year. For example-Gardiner plus the number 8 this year from Toronto or Erhoff and Buffalo's number 2 pick next year in first round assuming Isles defer. I am not saying that Toronto or Buffalo would make those offers--just that I assume that is what Tallon would be looking for.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:40 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
The 1st overall is valuable, but not that valuable in this year's draft. Anaheim would be loopy to give up both Lindholm and the 10th overall for #1. Lindolm himself could very well end up being better than Ekblad. Also, this year I think there's a very good chance that another player outside the top 5 becomes the best player out of this draft.

Florida is smart to look for a big pay-off for the #1 pick this year, but other teams should be wary.
Maybe. Ehlers and Nylander are probably the most skilled guys in the draft, and if they were 2 inches taller would probably both be going top 4. None of the top 3 look like sure-fire franchise talents, and then a guy like Ehlers for example put up 104 pts (49G) in 63 games regular season, and another 28 pts (11G) in 16 playoff games, all that in his first CHL season.

The top picks are "safer" picks, but i wouldnt be surprised to see one of the guys drafted in the 5-10 range pass them within a few years. There's no obvious MacKinnon, Doughty, Stamkos, etc in this draft at the top.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:42 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
Buffalo offers Myers
Florida should get ready for a bunch of offers like this.

Ekblad isn't that special as a prospect, and many can't figure out whether they like Bennett, Draisaitl or Reinhart better among the centers.

Moving down makes perfect sense, if you can get a return. I'm not sure how excited teams will be to move up. Teams that are outside the top 5 are probably seeing that moving up to the #3 or #4 slot is just as good and might be lower in price.

Old
05-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Whileee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Maybe. Ehlers and Nylander are probably the most skilled guys in the draft, and if they were 2 inches taller would probably both be going top 4. None of the top 3 look like sure-fire franchise talents, and then a guy like Ehlers for example put up 104 pts (49G) in 63 games regular season, and another 28 pts (11G) in 16 playoff games, all that in his first CHL season.

The top picks are "safer" picks, but i wouldnt be surprised to see one of the guys drafted in the 5-10 range pass them within a few years. There's no obvious MacKinnon, Doughty, Stamkos, etc in this draft at the top.
We agree.

Old
05-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Intense Rage

How about...

Nashville
1st overall pick

Florida
Seth Jones

The Preds draft Reinhart/Bennett and get their future #1 center. I would jump at that if I were Tallon but I doubt the Preds have any interest in letting Jones go.

Intense Rage is offline   Reply With Quote