HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Florida shopping first overall pick...

Old
05-02-2014, 08:43 AM
Mifroid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTT View Post
This makes zero sense, as Preds passed on same calibre forward prospect last year in Monahan/Nichushkin/Lindholm to draft Jones.
Jones was just a few notches better than these guys.

I mean, as a prospect, Jones has way higher upside than these 3.

It was the only possible choice at 4 if Jones was available.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by alttimegreat View Post
Rumor he wants to take ehlers but doesnt want to take the heat if he picks him at #1 so he wants to trade down.

He could get him at #6 after the top 5.

Canucks could offer #6 overall, Edler/Garrison(whoever waives) + small piece.
But if he really wants him, isn't there a good chance that some other team does as well and he may be gone by #6?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Montsy14

Quote:
Rumor he wants to take ehlers but doesnt want to take the heat if he picks him at #1 so he wants to trade down.

He could get him at #6 after the top 5.

Canucks could offer #6 overall, Edler/Garrison(whoever waives) + small piece.
Tallon did an interview at a Halifax game a little while ago...seemed VERY high on Ehlers. I could definitely see him moving down as long as he's sure he can still get him.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:46 AM
keslercrosby*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
But if he really wants him, isn't there a good chance that some other team does as well and he may be gone by #6?
yes.. I dont think Edmonton is one of them and pretty sure they want a defenseman and would make an offer for #1 to secure ekblad.

keslercrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Mellor683

Kessel, Bozak+8 OV

1st, bjugstad, gubranson, Flash

Mellor683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel77 View Post
Fla: Kessel

Tor: 1st Overall and 31st overall
Not a chance in hell Kessel goes for that little.

sd1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:53 AM
nbwingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
I see this draft as more similar to the 2010-2012 drafts.

Hall/RNH/Yakupov vs Skinner/Burmistrov/Granlund, Scheifele/Couturier/Hamilton, and Dumba/Pouliot/Trouba (if looking at 7-9 range). Some pretty good names in those groups.

The gap between the top 3 and the 7-9 range isnt as obvious as the drafts that had Stamkos/Doughty/Pietrangelo, Tavares/Hedman/Duchene, etc in the top 3-4.

Nylander is the probably the most skilled Swedish forward since Backstrom, Ehlers is putting up arguably the best offensive numbers in the draft (looks like a late riser similar to Skinner, only he has a better rounded game then Skinner did when drafted), and then Virtanen/Ritchie are the best powerforward prospects in years.

People call this a "weak" draft, but to me it just looks like it lacks obvious elite talent at the top, but it definitely has depth, at least in the top 9-10.
The problem with posts like this is that we really have no idea. As of right now, yes numbers 1-4 don't look much different than 5-10. This could easily change within a couple years.

Players develop at different paces, and for all we know the 164th pick could end up being the best player in the draft. All teams can really do is place a value on the picks posistion rather than the player that is available.

nbwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

This screams Edmonton to me. They could use a defensemen like Ekblad and have a plethora of wingers to offer.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:56 AM
tucker3434

Same as it ever was. I doubt it happens. Ekblad seems like such a great fit. But maybe they're willing to trade picks with Edmonton if Edmonton really sweetens the pot. I guess the price would depend on how Florida values nurse or other Edmonton prospects.

tucker3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:57 AM
gudzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
I know this has probably been beaten to death..

Phaneuf + 8th OA

for

1st OA + Fleischmann

Leafs take a cap dump, and buy him out for a cap hit of 1.5 million cap hit for the next 2 years, and get their #1C in Reinhart. Panthers drop down 7 spots, but also get a veteran top pairing defenseman, and also still get a good prospect. What would leafs need to add to entice the Panthers to make this trade? Would leafs need to retain some of Phaneuf's salary?
lol

why is fleischmann a cap dump? a 50p winger for 4.5 mil, total cap dump

dont want phaneuf for his pr4ice tag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor683 View Post
Kessel, Bozak+8 OV

1st, bjugstad, gubranson, Flash

lol, florida get an elite winger, sure, but we take two steps backwards by giving up a future top4 mean, stay at home defenseman thats a future captain, and a 6'6 two-way center capable of ~60p

gudzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:02 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
yes.. I dont think Edmonton is one of them and pretty sure they want a defenseman and would make an offer for #1 to secure ekblad.
That makes more sense to me. I could see either NYI or EDM (or maybe even CAL?) really wanting to draft Ekblad and making a move to ensure they get him.

If FLA really likes a certain player, moving beyond 3-4 becomes too big of a risk of him not being there IMO.

Old
05-02-2014, 09:02 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Here is the relevant clip where Cox interviewed Tallon. You can here it directly from Tallon's mouth. The stuff pertaining to the pick starts at 27:00

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...ay-1---5pm.mp3

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Macch

I think the Isles would have the picks to move up, but I don't know if Florida would be willing to move down that far.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:09 AM
jboknows

This same rumour comes up every single year. Usually, we know it's ********.

This year however, I would not be surprised at all to see it happen. I think anyone taken in the top-5 could easily become the best player in the draft in a few years and anyone in the top-10 could possibly be.

There's no Stamkos, Tavares, Mackinnon, McDavid, etc. If you're a team at Florida I think you are definitely "shopping" the pick to see what's out there instead of being passive.

jboknows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Isles are pretty loaded at defense and more than likely want a forward who can contribute right away.

If the Islanders are trading up to 1, it's more than like to get Sam Reinhart to play with his brother. He addresses both a need and would be a BPA
I don't think the Isles would trade up to #1, I think they would move the pick for an established defenseman in his prime. They have lots of prospects, but need somebody ready to step in next year, doubly so given Visnovsky's health.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:11 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 785
why would the Oilers trade young talent to move up 2 spots in the draft when we could keep our talent can pick a major area of weakness...center

plus, no knows, last year Seth Jones dropped....maybe Ekblad does too

I'm pretty sure the Oilers are quite content on staying where they are

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:12 AM
13pacheco31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel77 View Post
Fla: Kessel

Tor: 1st Overall and 31st overall
Throw in another first next year and MAYBE they'd thing about it.

13pacheco31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:13 AM
CantHaveTkachev
"McDavid show"Oct/15

vCash: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboknows View Post
This same rumour comes up every single year. Usually, we know it's ********.

This year however, I would not be surprised at all to see it happen. I think anyone taken in the top-5 could easily become the best player in the draft in a few years and anyone in the top-10 could possibly be.

There's no Stamkos, Tavares, Mackinnon, McDavid, etc. If you're a team at Florida I think you are definitely "shopping" the pick to see what's out there instead of being passive.
exactly....anyone from the top 5 could be the best player out there...which make it tough for a team to give up assets in order to move up a couple spots

CantHaveTkachev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:14 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbwingsfan View Post
The problem with posts like this is that we really have no idea. As of right now, yes numbers 1-4 don't look much different than 5-10. This could easily change within a couple years.

Players develop at different paces, and for all we know the 164th pick could end up being the best player in the draft. All teams can really do is place a value on the picks posistion rather than the player that is available.
Well it could easily change in a couple of years in either direction.. If theres not a whole lot separating a guy like Ekblad from Ehlers/Nylander right now, whereas in many other drafts there's a huge and obvious separation going into the draft between the top few prospects and the next group... You should value the difference between a 1st and 7th overall pick differently in this draft then in a Tavares draft, or Stamkos draft, etc. Where the gap was incredibly obvious.

Going into any given draft, a 1st overall pick has different value depending on who's available, just like the 7th-9th overall picks have different values depending on who's available.

Compared to your "average" draft, I would say the 1st overall has less value then normal (no obvious franchise talent at the top) and the 7th-9th overall picks have better value then normal (Ehlers, Virtanen, Ritchie, and Nylander look like better prospects then are typically available in that range).

Anyways, I dont expect the pick to be traded. But rumours are swirling that Tallon really likes Ehlers, but doesnt want to look bad by taking him 1st overall and wants to get a good piece to trade down. So while it would be a rare move for someone to trade down with a 1st overall pick, you also have to look at all drafts differently, because picks are worth different amounts and the gaps between them are different in every draft.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:15 AM
The Dream
User Registered

I'd give ya the Schenn brothers + 17th pick for the 1st overall

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:16 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
why would the Oilers trade young talent to move up 2 spots in the draft when we could keep our talent can pick a major area of weakness...center

plus, no knows, last year Seth Jones dropped....maybe Ekblad does too

I'm pretty sure the Oilers are quite content on staying where they are
I don't think a team has to give up young talent to move up a couple of spots. That get's bantered around here, but moving up a couple of spots in a draft like this has historically cost only a 2nd round pick or two. If a team wants much more than that, then they really aren't that interested in moving the #1 pick, just shopping it to see if someone will overpay.

Old
05-02-2014, 09:17 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
I think the Isles would have the picks to move up, but I don't know if Florida would be willing to move down that far.
Considering the Islanders are at risk of giving up a top 5-10 pick in a much more top heavy draft next season, I would expect them to be more concerned with trading picks for "help now" as opposed to trading picks to move up for a piece that likely wont have an impact for 2-3 years.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Trap Jesus

I wonder if something along the lines of this could be worked out:

To Edmonton: 1st overall pick, Kulikov/Gudbranson

To Florida: 3rd overall pick, Yakupov

Florida goes with Draisaitl or Bennett at 3, Edmonton obviously takes Ekblad.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
lol

why is fleischmann a cap dump? a 50p winger for 4.5 mil, total cap dump

dont want phaneuf for his pr4ice tag
I don't know if you know this or not, but one of the qualifications of being a 50 pt winger, is scoring 50 pts.....

That's why I asked if Toronto would need to retain salary..

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Here is the relevant clip where Cox interviewed Tallon. You can here it directly from Tallon's mouth. The stuff pertaining to the pick starts at 27:00

http://pmd.fan590.com/podcasts/pts/p...ay-1---5pm.mp3
Interesting in that when he's asked if he'd not just entertain offers, but actively shop it, Tallon replies,"yes, especially this year." He said this draft is better than expected based on his viewings of the U-18, but that speaks more of the depth than the high end talent.

I would hope the Oil put in a call. Yakupov+Yakimov. Gives them the sniping RW to play with Barkov, as well as a prospect coming over this year who said he's willing to play in the AHL (not many KHL guys do that), who projects as a strong 2 way 3C (was used as RUS shutdown C at the WJC). If Yakimov panned out as their 3C....

Barkov 6'3 213
Bjugstad 6'6 218
Yakimov 6'4 215

Not to mention all 3 of those guys could still fill out. Scary. Fellow Oil fans probably won't be happy with the suggestion (Yakimov seems to be everyone's favourite prospect right now), but I do it. Not sure if FLA does it, but they need goal scoring, and no one in this draft has a shot like Yak.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote