HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stay or Go: Lecavalier

View Poll Results: Stay or Go: Lecavalier
Stay 29 20.00%
Go 116 80.00%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 500
Maybe if he is moved, they trade him to the Panthers to get some sort of vet leadership and to be back in the great state of Florida? I dunno.

05-02-2014, 12:31 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Carchidi is an idiot. I'd get more useful information asking questions to a sack of hammers
maybe but he has a more informed opinion than i do since he actually has a relationship with the team and it's players. So i will take his opinion over mine.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

OK seriously.... how do 21 people want him to stay?!?!?!? Have you watched any games this year?

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Broad Street Elite

The answer to this question is really hard to know. Will we have to eat salary for him to go? Are any other pieces getting moved?

To me, I am fine with him staying if Brayden Schenn gets moved. I would then play Couturier as the 2C, Vinny as the 3C and Laughton as the 4C or in the AHL for next season. Vinny would be an entirely fine 3C if paired with a pair of wingers with some speed to compensate. He's lost a step, but I think people are seriously overstating his demise after still being a 20G scorer. I'd also be fine with moving Vinny as well.... just not willing to have to eat any of the contract to do it.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:20 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
OK seriously.... how do 21 people want him to stay?!?!?!? Have you watched any games this year?
Did you watch him before his injury? Or when they actually played him at center/right wing?

He's bad at left wing, but not as bad as the circle jerk around here would like to believe. He's slow and poor defensively (more so on wing than center), but that doesn't make him useless. He outpaced every forward not on the first PP unit for points and goals. I don't want to get rid of our only pure goal scorer.

Besides, if Schenn is moved to wing like he should be, or traded, we have a vacancy on the 2C until Couts is able to takeover.

Last edited by blinds: 05-02-2014 at 02:26 PM.
blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Did you watch him before his injury? Or when they actually played him at center/right wing? He's not as bad as the circle jerk around here would like to believe. He's slow and poor defensively(more so on wing than center), but that doesn't make him useless.
His contract and health are risky bets though and he's detrimental logistically as well as defensively.

I could see him being an okay player for a team that could stomach the contract better and have plenty of room for him on the roster though.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:19 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
His contract and health are risky bets though and he's detrimental logistically as well as defensively.

I could see him being an okay player for a team that could stomach the contract better and have plenty of room for him on the roster though.
That's true about his health, but I don't see his contract as being much of a problem. He's a little bit more than Matt Read and less than Hartnell. If the cap keeps going up, it won't be a big deal.

We do have room for him though if we move Schenn to wing, which we should if we expect Couturier to take over 2C down the road. Until then, we'd have a spot at 2C which Vinny would be perfect for while Schenn learns wing and Couturier's offensive game develops a little more.

Old
05-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
That's true about his health, but I don't see his contract as being much of a problem. He's a little bit more than Matt Read and less than Hartnell. If the cap keeps going up, it won't be a big deal.

We do have room for him though if we move Schenn to wing, which we should if we expect Couturier to take over 2C down the road. Until then, we'd have a spot at 2C which Vinny would be perfect for as long as we move Schenn to wing now.
When I say the contract is risky I mean the length and NMC. It's a long term contract (by current CBA standards) with a big name player and Homer's big free agent move of last off-season. With the new CBA you can't really bury contracts in the minors from my understanding.

If he deteriorates he'll definitely have to be moved and even at his current level many want him moved. An NMC makes that pretty impossible without his consent and even if agrees he has control over where he goes. You also know it's not as simple as he's good enough or he's not. With his name, cap hit and length they have to play him regardless of whether he should be playing or not. Pride and saving face go into that but because of the length plus NMC they have to give him as much leeway as humanly possible before committing to trading him. In other words, drag out the process.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Did you watch him before his injury? Or when they actually played him at center/right wing?

He's bad at left wing, but not as bad as the circle jerk around here would like to believe. He's slow and poor defensively (more so on wing than center), but that doesn't make him useless. He outpaced every forward not on the first PP unit for points and goals. I don't want to get rid of our only pure goal scorer.

Besides, if Schenn is moved to wing like he should be, or traded, we have a vacancy on the 2C until Couts is able to takeover.
He's not bad at left wing, he's bad everywhere. The only time he was actually useful was on the 4th line playing against the other teams 4th lines. He's useless, his contract is too much for a player who's only positive aspect is his shot, and getting rid of him is the best thing possible. He's unbelievably slow, horrible defensively, can't win board battles, can't pass, and makes horrible decisions constantly. This isn't the type of player you keep around, it's not worth it. If it's his health that people are going to use as a weak excuse then that's just another reason to get rid of him, he's not getting younger and I doubt he's going to be able to stay healthy.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 04:45 PM
BringBackStevens

The answer is obviously "go", but it won't happen.

I find the idea that Vinny was supposedly so great before his injury pretty ridiculous. He was OK at even his best this year. The guy can shoot, I will give him that, but that's not good enough in today's NHL when you move like a slug and carry the puck like a grenade.

He's going to be a big problem for us until he ends up on LTIR in a year or two (even then it's an issue).

I'm shocked that anyone would suggest playing this guy at center anywhere on the roster. He posses literally zero skills at this point that you look for in a center in today's NHL.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:12 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:

I agree that how bad he was may be a bit overstated but I think it is more about his contract.

That was only year 1 of his 5 year/22.5 million dollar deal.

He has to go.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:14 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I honestly don't want him back even if schenn is traded or moved to wing. We aren't winning a thin with Vinny playing top 9 minutes

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 05:19 PM
Stizzle

blinds, are you Vinny or his agent? I've stopped reading your posts. They are astonishing.

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Stizzle

Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 1m

Homer: "I don't want to say I'm disappointed in Vinny, but I'm disappointed for him."

Stizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Vinny had problems adapting to Berube's style of play, Homer said. Said he fit in better under Lavy's style.
Source: Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Curufinwe

That doesn't sound right. Everyone looked bad under Lavi this season. And Vinny was OK under Berube till he got hurt.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Dave Isaac ‏@davegisaac 1m

Homer: "I don't want to say I'm disappointed in Vinny, but I'm disappointed for him."
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Sam Carchidi @BroadStBull
Makes sense. Vinny was the only guy showing up those first few games outside of Mason. An injury and system/coach change really halted things.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:52 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I voted for him to stay, because I've always liked him. He's definitely one of my favorite Flyers. But he hasn't been playing well. I just don't give a ****, though

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

I voted go because, well, if you find a taker, you have no reason not to get out of that contract, but I don't necessarily think he will be a total dumpster fire for the next four years.

Some old guys have unexpected resurgences. Alfredsson, Elias, B. Richards are a couple examples. I'm not saying we should expect him to get any better, but I also don't think it's impossible for him to get one or two more productive years out of his career.

His contract really isn't that expensive, either. If he can adapt his game to match his current skill set (unlikely, I know), it won't take all that much to provide 4.5m worth of value to the team.

And don't misconstrue these as reasons we should keep him if we have an opportunity to dump him. I'm not advocating that. In any way.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 07:34 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Everyone is saying Vinny has been injured all year, did Homer make light of it? I recall him talking about Raffl, Coots, and Simmonds being injured. I don't recall him saying anything about Vinny's health...

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:06 PM
CTU2fan

I voted go. I actually think he's still an OK player, but he doesn't fit when our depth is at C and our needs are at W, specifically LW. I would deal him for:

A 7th, if someone would take the contract.

A similarly overpaid true LW so at least we balance the roster

Mike Richards, since he's rotting on the 4th line in LA and there's always the chance he gets his groove back if he comes back here. Frees you up to move the Schenns in a deal for a quality winger.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 08:16 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTU2fan View Post
I voted go. I actually think he's still an OK player, but he doesn't fit when our depth is at C and our needs are at W, specifically LW. I would deal him for:

A 7th, if someone would take the contract.

A similarly overpaid true LW so at least we balance the roster

Mike Richards, since he's rotting on the 4th line in LA and there's always the chance he gets his groove back if he comes back here. Frees you up to move the Schenns in a deal for a quality winger.
You'd be essentially swapping one broken down center on a bad contract for another one.

I also doubt Richards would be brought back so long Snider is still alive & kicking.

If the Flyers rid themselves of Vinny's contract they should really just stay put & roll with what they have instead of trying to replace him with someone else. If they want another center than do so by drafting one.

Old
05-02-2014, 08:20 PM
hockeyfreak7

Richards's contract is significantly worse. He wouldn't be our shutdown center, and he doesn't provide offense like he used to.

His cap hit is 1.25m more than Lecavalier's, and it last two years longer. Yeah, I'll keep Vinny.

Richards makes a great third line center these days, but his cap hit is that of a decent first line center or legitimate Selke center.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:54 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
blinds, are you Vinny or his agent? I've stopped reading your posts. They are astonishing.
Lol, what exactly have I said that is so astonishing? I've admitted he's been terrible pretty much since his injury with only a few flashes of good play. I've just been saying we haven't put him in a position to succeed and he has a skill set that can still be useful to this team.

The way people talk about him, it sounds like he put up 15 points and was Ovechkin bad at defense. He was our best point producer by pace outside of the 1st unit PP guys and his +/- is in line with the rest of the fourth line. And that's with coming back early from a serious injury. He can still be useful.

Doesn't sound that radical to me, sorry it doesn't jive with your opinion.

Also from what Homer said, it doesn't sound like Vinny's back is an issue anymore. We'll see if he's treated in any way going forward I suppose. He got surgery when he went down in November, right? Maybe a full offseason of rest will help, he looked refreshed for a little while after the Olympic break.

Old
05-02-2014, 11:09 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Lol, what exactly have I said that is so astonishing? I've admitted he's been terrible pretty much since his injury with only a few flashes of good play. I've just been saying we haven't put him in a position to succeed and he has a skill set that can still be useful to this team.

The way people talk about him, it sounds like he put up 15 points and was Ovechkin bad at defense. He was our best point producer by pace outside of the 1st unit PP guys and his +/- is in line with the rest of the fourth line. And that's with coming back early from a serious injury. He can still be useful.

Doesn't sound that radical to me, sorry it doesn't jive with your opinion.

Also from what Homer said, it doesn't sound like Vinny's back is an issue anymore. We'll see if he's treated in any way going forward I suppose. He got surgery when he went down in November, right? Maybe a full offseason of rest will help, he looked refreshed for a little while after the Olympic break.
He had a non-displaced fracture in his lower back in December. It's non-treatable medically so there was no surgery, the only solution is rest.