HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Playoff Avatars?

Old
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
DTownWingsfan

vCash: 500
Playoff Avatars?

I know a few of us had them last year, just curious if anyone is up for doing some for the playoffs this season? I have one, but just wanted to see different ideas or if anyone else was doing them.

DTownWingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:21 PM
norrisnick

IF I were inclined to get a playoff avatar, I think we ought to take a bit of a twist on the theme and incorporate our usual (for those who have them) avatars into a theme. Rather than the cliched pick a player from a template plan that runs rampant around these parts.

So if some industrious avatar maker wants to churn some out for the regulars, by all means.

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
jacK

Shoalzie did em last year, and they were sweet. hopefully he's up to it again this year , or if somebody else is up to it...

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:27 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Anybody who wants a Guided By Voices avatar, let me know!
Robert Pollard pitched a perfect game in college, in case you didn't know,

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:38 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post
IF I were inclined to get a playoff avatar, I think we ought to take a bit of a twist on the theme and incorporate our usual (for those who have them) avatars into a theme. Rather than the cliched pick a player from a template plan that runs rampant around these parts.

So if some industrious avatar maker wants to churn some out for the regulars, by all means.
That sounds like a good idea. Anyone up for it?

Old
03-07-2007, 09:40 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTownWingsfan View Post
That sounds like a good idea. Anyone up for it?
Help me out, DTown. In what way is Chris Osgood related to the Red Wings' playoff aspirations?

A Good Flying Bird* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
Help me out, DTown. In what way is Chris Osgood related to the Red Wings' playoff aspirations?
Err, how is Babcock supposed to know who to put out there for crucial draws if Osgood isn't keeping a very close eye on who is winning the faceoffs?

Use your head or you're going to have to change your username to Chris_Chelios_and_Brett_Lebda_are_from_Chicago.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick View Post

My colors are all wrong and I'd be the wrong kind of seafood too. Maybe I could do a blowfish impersonating an octopus. The tentacles could be red.

Old
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
My colors are all wrong and I'd be the wrong kind of seafood too. Maybe I could do a blowfish impersonating an octopus. The tentacles could be red.
Who cares about colors?

norrisnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Blades of Steel 1972

Send a message via Yahoo to Blades of Steel 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacK View Post
Shoalzie did em last year, and they were sweet. hopefully he's up to it again this year , or if somebody else is up to it...
Shoalzie is working on some ideas now, and has some interesting ideas.

I emailed him asking this very thing yesterday...we must be part of a hive mind

Blades of Steel 1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Shoalzie

Morning gang...yes, I'm in the planning stages right now to make this year's playoff avatars. I want to present a few ideas to the forum and you guys can pick which theme you want and you can make your player requests as well. I wanted to have some ideas posted Wednesday night but I ended up hitting the hay early...I'll post something whenever it's ready. I don't want to put a hard deadline on this but maybe this weekend I'd like to be in the process of producing them for everyone.

Shoalzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Morning gang...yes, I'm in the planning stages right now to make this year's playoff avatars. I want to present a few ideas to the forum and you guys can pick which theme you want and you can make your player requests as well. I wanted to have some ideas posted Wednesday night but I ended up hitting the hay early...I'll post something whenever it's ready. I don't want to put a hard deadline on this but maybe this weekend I'd like to be in the process of producing them for everyone.
Sounds good, can't wait to see the ideas you come up with.

Old
03-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Shoalzie

I'm having a hard time coming up with an angle for the avatars. BoS1972 and I were throwing ideas back and forth earlier this week but I've been sidetracked by some projects at work. I've got some time this weekend to put some stuff together but I don't have any cute themes as of yet. I'm going to open it up to everyone to come up with a theme to revolve around.

My first theme I thought of doing is a spin on movie posters of 007 since we're in the 2007 playoffs. Taking the different movie titles and making them a Wings theme and featuring players for certain movies. BoS1972 had some nice suggestions with that theme.

Initial ideas:
The World Is Not Enough - renamed "One Round/The Second Round Is Not Enough"...have the same tagline for all players but done up in a movie poster style

Dr. No - Dominik Hasek or any defensive defensemen

From Russia With Love - Pavel Datsyuk and Danny Markov

Octo***** - renamed to just "Octopus" and can be a tribute the playoff tradition of throwing an octopus on the ice or use Al the Octopus as the main character

Thunderball or Live and Let Die - Todd Bertuzzi or any other rugid forward

The Man with the Golden Gun - renamed "The Man with a Gold Medal"...can be any of the Swedish players on the team that won gold medals at Torino last year

There really aren't a lot of movie titles that work but I think using one title for every player would be easy to do. Just pop in a different photo for each player and have their name as the marquee. I've been trying to work on a prototype to show all of you. I'll try to get something posted today while I'm watching hoops and hockey all day.

Old
03-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartestManOnEarth View Post
Anybody who wants a Guided By Voices avatar, let me know!
Robert Pollard pitched a perfect game in college, in case you didn't know,
I saw GBV at the Metro many times over the years. They were a great live band. I also saw them at St. Andrews in Detroit during the Bee Thousand tour.

Good times!

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:03 PM
jacK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Octo***** - renamed to just "Octopus" and can be a tribute the playoff tradition of throwing an octopus on the ice or use Al the Octopus as the main character
you can just take the "Octo-" out, and put Lilja's picture on there...

jacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Boomhower

clever stuff Shaolzie.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:05 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Since everyone on the team needs to contribute for the team to have a succesful playoff run I put out the idea that everyone takes a seperate player as an avatar? Maybe shoalizie gets first pick since he is doing the hard work and then maybe the mods and then go by seniority?

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Shoalzie

I'm taking a Hank avatar but you guys can have anyone you want. I can make multiples of guys but use a different picture.

Old
03-10-2007, 03:53 PM
DTownWingsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin View Post
Since everyone on the team needs to contribute for the team to have a succesful playoff run I put out the idea that everyone takes a seperate player as an avatar? Maybe shoalizie gets first pick since he is doing the hard work and then maybe the mods and then go by seniority?
I'll stick with my Ozzie avatar.