HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The "All Things NYC" Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2014, 11:28 AM
boyle2boyle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I work in the city every day, commuting from Long Island (lol kill me, please). The prospect of having to spend a paycheck and then some on rent per month is astounding.

**** this city.
Would you really be paying that much more in the city though? Whenever I think about moving out to NJ or LI, the calculations come up just about even.

For example, if I moved out of NYC I'd have to make car payments/car insurance payments, as I have no need for a car where I am currently. That right there would almost make up the rent difference. Not to mention paying for the LIRR or NJ Transit on top of the Metro Card. When you start doing calculations, you might find yourself surprised at how little of a difference it would make.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:30 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Valuating View Post
Would you really be paying that much more in the city though? Whenever I think about moving out to NJ or LI, the calculations come up just about even.

For example, if I moved out of NYC I'd have to make car payments/car insurance payments, as I have no need for a car where I am currently. That right there would almost make up the rent difference. Not to mention paying for the LIRR or NJ Transit on top of the Metro Card. When you start doing calculations, you might find yourself surprised at how little of a difference it would make.
Depends on whether he's living on his own in LI.

Old
04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, for every first year lawyer earning 150-175k there are 9 recent college graduates earning 50-70k.
and 15 delivering pizza

Old
04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
You must be loving the LIRR
If I ever needed to breed a super villain, I'd make him spend a day on a rush hour train from penn station to Long Island, or have him stand for an hour at the deli at my supermarket. Boy do people suck.

Quote:
So on the one hand you want to die from the commute, but on the other hand you find the cost of living in NYC astounding. Hard to have your cake and eat it as they say. But yeah, I get you, prices are insane.
Very true. The city just really isn't for me. I mean, $1500 for rent in Manhattan (basically minimum) to live in a closet? No thanks. Sure, I could go to Brooklyn or Queens, I'm thinking about it, but I'm not all that convinced yet. Most days I think I'd be better off in a cheaper suburb outside NY, and definitely away from the NY Metro Area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Valuating View Post

Quote:
Depends on whether he's living on his own in LI.
Bingo, BB. Live with my parents rent free. Expenses are my metro card, LIRR ticket, cell phone, and student loans. That's it (even though it still totals higher than what some of my friends pay for rent per month in Buffalo, but I digress).

Last edited by silverfish: 04-28-2014 at 12:12 PM. Reason: villain, not hero - lol
Old
04-28-2014, 12:42 PM
RUSF18

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Bingo, BB. Live with my parents rent free. Expenses are my metro card, LIRR ticket, cell phone, and student loans. That's it (even though it still totals higher than what some of my friends pay for rent per month in Buffalo, but I digress).
I wasn't the one to respond but I also read your post as coming from someone older who was choosing to pay rent/mortgage on LI instead of living in Manhattan. Definitely the right approach for you, so good job. I spent my first two years out of college living at home and saving every penny I could before moving into NYC where I've been for the last 7 years. I had some student loans on top of what you were paying, but even making $50k-$60k for those first couple years, I was able to put away over $40K. Having that as a starting base was huge as even with making more money in the years since, you can never save as much as when you don't have a rent check to write every month.

Old
05-02-2014, 01:52 PM
NYRangers09

Where To Watch The Game?

Im trying to figure out a great spot in the city where I would be able to sit down and watch the game, rather than have to stand for 3 hours (being that me and J-Fine are so out of shape). I know the Rangers have that viewing parties list but I was wondering if you guys had any other spots. Really would appreciate ur expert opinions

Old
05-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
I was watching the game at Windy City Ale House. Would recommend to anyone in Brooklyn.

Old
05-02-2014, 11:49 PM
silkyjohnson50

Thanks to everyone who responded in regards to moving to NYC. After weighing everything, I do believe I will make the jump...

Also another question that I'm sure I will ask again down the road when I'm actually there, settled, and have my gear shipped: what about roller hockey in Manhattan? I happened to see an outdoor rink somewhere along the East river when I was driving around. Are there any other rinks and do people typically gather enough for pick up games throughout the year? I'd love to be able to play when available.

Old
05-03-2014, 03:23 AM
silkyjohnson50

Also, are the lines at Shake Shack truly indicative of how good they are? I didn't end up eating there, but I walked by two different Shake Shack's at least a few times and they were always lined up outside the door.

Old
05-03-2014, 09:38 AM
dmjt4160

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
I was watching the game at Windy City Ale House. Would recommend to anyone in Brooklyn.
I'm like 5 blocks away, great place. I was so happy when they opened, Bay Ridge desperately needed it.

Old
05-03-2014, 10:45 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Also, are the lines at Shake Shack truly indicative of how good they are? I didn't end up eating there, but I walked by two different Shake Shack's at least a few times and they were always lined up outside the door.
No. In my opinion, you can get better burgers and shakes elsewhere. It's all about the name. I'm happy to make any food recommendations via PM.

Old
05-03-2014, 11:50 AM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane One View Post
Great set up, but every time I am in there the service is awful.

Old
05-03-2014, 11:55 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Shake Shack is solid. But my personal rule is I won't wait on the line if it's outside the door. Good food, but not so amazing I'll wait more than 10 minutes to order.

Old
05-03-2014, 12:51 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
There's Shake Shacks all over the city now, no need to wait in line at Madison or Times Square.

Old
05-03-2014, 03:15 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Anyone ever go to Capital Grille on 51st? Going there tonight

Old
05-03-2014, 08:49 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Attending a concert in October at MSG, and planning to stay at a hotel with parking in long Island/Queens near the subway lines. What would be the best hotels in that area around 200$ or less? I'm guessing the Subway is open 24/7?

Old
05-03-2014, 09:02 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy OFWG View Post
Anyone ever go to Capital Grille on 51st? Going there tonight
Haven't been to that one, but I'm sure it's similar to most of the others. Very good food and service albeit fairly pricey.

Old
05-03-2014, 10:41 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 2960
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Attending a concert in October at MSG, and planning to stay at a hotel with parking in long Island/Queens near the subway lines. What would be the best hotels in that area around 200$ or less? I'm guessing the Subway is open 24/7?
I don't know anything about hotels here, but the subway and the entire MTA is 24/7. Some subway lines aren't, though, but there's always another line you could take. Don't worry about that.

05-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Miamipuck
Al Swearengen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat_sens View Post
Go on Hotwire. They give you the general area and not the name of the hotel. You should be able to get a (4-star) good hotel for much less than 200.

Old
05-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Nash Money

Best place to watch Game 7 on the UES? Preferably Yorkville.

Old
05-14-2014, 11:02 AM
GIANTRANGER11

Best Ranger bar near Yankee Stadium

So guys...I am hearing the game will be on Saturday at 1ish...I have tickets for Yankee Game that's at 4pm...Anybody know of bars near Yankee Stadium? Or any other recommendations for Bars in NYC?

Old
05-14-2014, 01:12 PM
rangers1314

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANTRANGER11 View Post
So guys...I am hearing the game will be on Saturday at 1ish...I have tickets for Yankee Game that's at 4pm...Anybody know of bars near Yankee Stadium? Or any other recommendations for Bars in NYC?
Might as well just find a bar near the 86th street subway and just jump on the express after the game is over, its a 15 minute ride to the stadium.

Old
05-14-2014, 10:44 PM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 883
Hey guys.

My daughter's currently in NYC for a school trip for three weeks. Her facebook status right now is: New York Rules!!!1!"

But seriously, she's there primarily to see plays on Broadway, off Broadway, and various other artsy-fartsy endeavors. She's seeing Raisin in the Sun with Denzel Washington, something with Michael C Hall in it, a host of other things...she went to Philly yesterday with some of her group to talk to set designers or something and she spent the night in Williamsburg. Had a moment of panic when I realized I had no idea where the hell my kid was.

Anyway, she's got the old standard touristy things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square on her map, but as I don't have several hours to leaf through 1000+ posts on the subject, any other thoughts on cool things for a bunch of kids in their early 20's to do in NYC are appreciated.

Oh, and nice job killing Pittsburgh.

Old
05-15-2014, 09:25 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Hey guys.

My daughter's currently in NYC for a school trip for three weeks. Her facebook status right now is: New York Rules!!!1!"

But seriously, she's there primarily to see plays on Broadway, off Broadway, and various other artsy-fartsy endeavors. She's seeing Raisin in the Sun with Denzel Washington, something with Michael C Hall in it, a host of other things...she went to Philly yesterday with some of her group to talk to set designers or something and she spent the night in Williamsburg. Had a moment of panic when I realized I had no idea where the hell my kid was.

Anyway, she's got the old standard touristy things like the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square on her map, but as I don't have several hours to leaf through 1000+ posts on the subject, any other thoughts on cool things for a bunch of kids in their early 20's to do in NYC are appreciated.

Oh, and nice job killing Pittsburgh.
They will never run out of things to do in New York. Perhaps consult an online listing like this for more info. It's pretty comprehensive but digestible. http://wikitravel.org/en/Manhattan

Old
05-15-2014, 09:29 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

1000 posts!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1671475

Closed Thread