HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official TOOTIN POWER GDT March 10: New York Rangers at Pit Penguins 1:00p MSG ‎

Old
03-10-2007, 04:55 PM
roxchipsi8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
If Pittsburgh were without Crosby, Malkin, Whitney and Malone, and Rechhi played with a bum shoulder, would their fans been complaining if they got a point out of the game? I don't think so.

Thats because they aren't in a 5 team race for the last 2 playoff spots where every point matters. Having injured players is not an excuse to blow a 2 goal 3rd period lead. You play to win the game, period.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Very true Ola....its just disheartening to have a stranglehold on them, and not finish them off, I expected a loss here after the intensity on the Island, so coming away with a point here is a bonus to me. If Jagr is done though.....I honestly think the season is basically over.
Tell me about it. Very tough way to loose a hockeygame. We can complain on Renney for playing thoose 4 in OT to start with, but at the same time its not like he had much to work with.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:57 PM
roxchipsi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by penzfan87 View Post
i personally still love jagr and hate it when pens fans boo him.
I don't quite understand this. I believe he won 2 cups with you guys. What was the reason he left the pens? Was it a bad enough situation to warrant booing a player who helped bring in 2 cups.

Old
03-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxchipsi8 View Post
I don't quite understand this. I believe he won 2 cups with you guys. What was the reason he left the pens? Was it a bad enough situation to warrant booing a player who helped bring in 2 cups.
I think he asked for a trade out of Pittsburg thats why some people boo him. If i'm wrong maybe someone can correct me

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Thats because they aren't in a 5 team race for the last 2 playoff spots where every point matters. Having injured players is not an excuse to blow a 2 goal 3rd period lead. You play to win the game, period.
having injured players is not an excuse....to a point.

after a while it starts becoming a REASON.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Ola

Quote:
What do you mean "not an excuse"?

Last time I checked you still have to be better the team you are playing againt to get 2 pts. Just because you are in a PO race the other team won't hand you the pts.

We aren't a trapping team, not that anyone is a real trapping team after the rulechanges.

We can't win games without good players, before the rulechanges there were example of games were a team without good players could just work hard and lift the puck out and get two pts. These days, you have to play better hockey then the team you are up against, or atleast be close to have a decent chance to win a hockey game.

We just can't expect this team without so many of our best players to win games. We can hope for them to steal pts, and I am sure they will if we now will be without JJ for a long period of time. But I just can't see how we can "demand" them to beat everyone.

We were close to get 2 pts tonight, and lost 1 of them in a heartbreakin manner. 3 more minutes and its atleast 50/50. But we didn't, and I don't see any reason to hang someone for it, thats all.

Old
03-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingHenrik35 View Post
I think he asked for a trade out of Pittsburg thats why some people boo him. If i'm wrong maybe someone can correct me
i thought it was over money.

he wanted it, they didnt want to give it to him.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
John Torturella

This may sound funny but it may be a good thing that he got hurt. It is unacceptable to have 2 powerplays and not even attempt to shoot. They had posseision for 3 or 4 minutes on the 2 PPs. Not once did Jagr lift his stick back even though there were oppurtunities aplenty

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:12 PM
roxchipsi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
What do you mean "not an excuse"?

Last time I checked you still have to be better the team you are playing againt to get 2 pts. Just because you are in a PO race the other team won't hand you the pts.

We aren't a trapping team, not that anyone is a real trapping team after the rulechanges.

We can't win games without good players, before the rulechanges there were example of games were a team without good players could just work hard and lift the puck out and get two pts. These days, you have to play better hockey then the team you are up against, or atleast be close to have a decent chance to win a hockey game.

We just can't expect this team without so many of our best players to win games. We can hope for them to steal pts, and I am sure they will if we now will be without JJ for a long period of time. But I just can't see how we can "demand" them to beat everyone.

We were close to get 2 pts tonight, and lost 1 of them in a heartbreakin manner. 3 more minutes and its atleast 50/50. But we didn't, and I don't see any reason to hang someone for it, thats all.

I agree, you need to either have better players or play harder. The point im trying to make is that the team had the game won, but let it slip away. Yea, Shannahan's not on the power play anymore, but does that make it ok not to shoot the puck? Jagr was injured in the third, does that make it ok to take stupid penalties? When you lose talent, teams need to step up and try and replace it with effort and focus. Injuries happen, its how teams deal with adveristy that shows which teams are pretenders.

Old
03-10-2007, 05:13 PM
John Torturella

Yet again "the Rangers pry another defeat from th jaws of victory." It has happened way too much this year

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:23 PM
2x4*

Whats the update on Jagr.

2x4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Re: Jagr booing...

Believe it or not, lots of it stemmed from his lack of work ethic (snails pace to the bench after a shift, giving up on the play after losing the puck, didn't backcheck) and came to practice when he wanted or sometimes not show up for practice at all. He felt he was above the team and did what he wanted, it wasn't healthy for the team. That didn't sit well with the players in the locker room and the fans were not happy with his behavior. He didn't have a team approach, he wasn't a team player and he felt he should get special treatment. Pittsburgh Fans didn't appreciate that attitude during his final years.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:28 PM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel48Briere View Post
Whats the update on Jagr.
Check the Jagr Injury Thread.

From what I've read it's a hip problem that is likely to keep him out of the game tomorrow.

BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:33 PM
GoPenguins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GentlemanOfLeisure View Post
You do know Colby Armstrong should not have played this game. He should have been suspended for his elbow on Lukowich.
Give it a rest, man. It was a forearm and not malicious, unlike the idiot in your avatar. If it was vicious, dont you think one of your three teammates in the vicinity of the hit woulda done something??

Re the rangers game. You guys deserved to win the game after 2 periods, but the lack of a 3rd goal hurt. I thought Isbister, Dubinsky, Pock and Cullen had really good games. The turning point was in the 2nd with your PPs when you didnt shoot. A goal there and I see a different 3rd period. The way you have been playing, you still have a great shot at the playoffs because of all the 4 pointer games. Lundqvist was really good and didnt deserve to lose.

Oh..and for the record, the officials werent good but they did establish early on that they were going to call most things, so some onus comes down to the players adapting to the officiating. Crosby may seem to draw a lot of penalties, but the way he plays (constantly driving and looking to go past people) makes him hard to defend and when in games with tight officiating, calls will happen. Jagr's style is similar, so I could see Jagr drawing a lot of penalties too in today's NHL. (Even more so if he was a little younger and faster).

Still..good luck to you for the playoff run. You have a great fanbase here. Hopefully Shanahan will be back soon for you.

GoPenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:50 PM
free0717

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Check the Jagr Injury Thread.

From what I've read it's a hip problem that is likely to keep him out of the game tomorrow.
Who is coming up?

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 05:52 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Who is coming up?
Im sure we will find out before 7:00. Whoever is getting called up I doubt plays tonight in the Pack game.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Ola

Quote:
I agree, you need to either have better players or play harder. The point im trying to make is that the team had the game won, but let it slip away. Yea, Shannahan's not on the power play anymore, but does that make it ok not to shoot the puck? Jagr was injured in the third, does that make it ok to take stupid penalties? When you lose talent, teams need to step up and try and replace it with effort and focus. Injuries happen, its how teams deal with adveristy that shows which teams are pretenders.
Good point, and I especially agrees with you on the power play and lack of shots.

We were damn close to win it too. If Lundqvist saves Maliks shot our odds are allot better. If the reffs call that icing our odds are allot better. If we doesn't screw up on the shift before the shift that we draw the penalty that Crosby scored on our odds are allot better. If Straka gets it out its probably 50/50.

But thats hockey. There must not always be a scapegoat. I felt pretty proud our this team tonight, and I don't think they deserve any crow.

Old
03-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Edge

Too mindsets.

The Rangers for the last two years seem to really struggle in the third, even when they win they just always look more tired than the other team late in the ga,e.

The Rangers are still fighting an uphill battle. The team is missing Shanahan and Hossa and really doesn't have the scoring depth to replace certain guys.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 06:30 PM
Ola

On Dubinsky. I thought he looked really promising again, he handled some tough situations really well.

Though he got into some problems late in the game. His last three shifts were not good. It started with him loosing the puck in that attacking zone and him kind of not taking a perfect position once getting into our defensive zone. Not a big deal at all. But, Dubinksy looked a bit more nervous after that and on his 2nd last shift he became a bit passive, and we got stuck in our own end. He then took the penalty.

Its such a tough position for a game like Dubinsky when we just are ran over as a team in the 3rd. I think it were good that he were "yanked", it could have turned ugly, and its not just worth the risk (of him loosing us 2 pts). Its so important that he can stay confident and feel positive.

I don't feel all that comfortable playing him tomorrow on this team without Jagr. Right now I think I would prefer Immonen. Dubinsky aren't comfortable in all situations. He is really good 1 on 1 defensivly in his own end, but especially on the backcheck agains the best players in the game he will really be in trouble.

Though, it we can't really make that change now, not after Dubi taking a penalty on his last shift. No matter if its explained to him, he might defenitly misunderstood it.

Old
03-10-2007, 06:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post

The Rangers for the last two years seem to really struggle in the third, even when they win they just always look more tired than the other team late in the ga,e.
Yeah, we have struggled many times in the 3rd.

But on many other nights we have often played great out of the gate, and the 3rd have ended up beeing a more fair mirror of the ability on the two teams.

Like tonight, and like against Detroit for example.

IMO we kind of played like expected against thoose teams in the 3rd, and for me thats not "struggling", we are just playing against teams that are better at the moment..

Old
03-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Edge

To some extent but to me the team looked exhausted again.

Especially that overtime period, they looked like they were skating in slow motion.

I think the team has looked more tired than coming back down to earth.

It's not like they've jumped out of the gate and really pile on point early and then the other team comes to life. There are a lot of times they kind of trudge through the first two periods and then they take even more of a dive in the third.

I have serious doubts about the endurace of this defense.

Rozy, Malik, etc. all seem to be spent by the end of the game.

Malik is slow enough to begin with, when he's tired it's like he is hardly moving out there.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not so unhappy about today's results. We are ahead of what I was expecting after we lost to Flyers and BJs. We are NOT going to win all the remaining games. We just need to win the ones we "should", and then squeak an extra point or 2 out of the games with the top and hot teams. That's what we are now doing. A big win tomorrow and we are on our way because it will mean we have found a way to win with different players.

Tomorrow is the game. I f we play like crap and blow a lead against the Canes then we are most likely DONE.

Tomorrow's game matters much more than today's. We are going to find out what Renney is made of tomorrow. This is the biggest game of the season so far.

Blueshirt Special is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Greg in MA

Quote:
Too mindsets.

The Rangers are still fighting an uphill battle. The team is missing Shanahan and Hossa and really doesn't have the scoring depth to replace certain guys.
It's scary when Marcel Hossa is considered "scoring depth".

Greg in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
To some extent but to me the team looked exhausted again.

Especially that overtime period, they looked like they were skating in slow motion.

I think the team has looked more tired than coming back down to earth.

It's not like they've jumped out of the gate and really pile on point early and then the other team comes to life. There are a lot of times they kind of trudge through the first two periods and then they take even more of a dive in the third.

Malik is slow enough to begin with, when he's tired it's like he is hardly moving out there.
It's because night after night, year after year, coach after coach...the Rangers bench is shortened mid way through the game. They stop rolling 4 lines, and they end up just playing 2 lines and double shifting guys on a 3rd line. They REFUSE to play younger forwards or certain players later on in the game. And it absolutely kills this team.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Ola

Quote:

You might have a point there. Roszival looks extremely tired at times. Its like he can't even lift his skates at the end of some shifts.

Though at the same time, we aren't Detroit, its really tough to play almost 30 minutes like he did tonight gooing up and down the ice all the time. He is also pretty physical, and that takes away allot of energy.