HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kimmo Timonen (and injury talk)

Old
05-03-2014, 08:56 AM
south jersey flyer

vCash: 500
These situations are always so difficult. It's obvious that the way forward is without Timonen. He's 39 and has been in the league for 15 years. The defense needs to get faster and he's getting slower. It was clear that Mark Streit provides a greater threat on the PP. All the signs point to him being the odd man out, especially with 2 or 3 prospects knocking on the door.

That being said, Kimmo was one of my favorite Flyers ever. I was around to see the tail-end of Desjardins' career, and Timonen is probably the most similar Flyer we've seen to Desjardins in terms of playing style and tenure and leadership. He should have been made captain after Richards left, although I think Giroux has been a good captain. I will always remember Timonen fondly, but my mom and dad only remember the slow Timonen of the last two years. Thank you Kimmo, for all your dedication this organization and this city.

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:20 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
These situations are always so difficult. It's obvious that the way forward is without Timonen. He's 39 and has been in the league for 15 years. The defense needs to get faster and he's getting slower. It was clear that Mark Streit provides a greater threat on the PP. All the signs point to him being the odd man out, especially with 2 or 3 prospects knocking on the door.

That being said, Kimmo was one of my favorite Flyers ever. I was around to see the tail-end of Desjardins' career, and Timonen is probably the most similar Flyer we've seen to Desjardins in terms of playing style and tenure and leadership. He should have been made captain after Richards left, although I think Giroux has been a good captain. I will always remember Timonen fondly, but my mom and dad only remember the slow Timonen of the last two years. Thank you Kimmo, for all your dedication this organization and this city.
Kimmo should have been named captain after Smith.

I know he's slowed down but I don't think his physical speed is much of an issue. Hell I don't think speed of the whole team in terms of mobility is the main issue. I think it's the lack of execution at a high speed that's the main problem. Boston is a prime example, they're hardly speedy but they move the puck so quick.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:46 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
He would still be a very good bottom pairing, 2nd PP guy, wonder if he would be good with those duties and the pay that goes with it.

1.5 per year, and lots of rest, 60 games , could be huge come playoff time.
you're crazy if you think he'll sign for $1.5m

Expect it to be at least $3m if he decides to come back

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:48 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I think this is a good idea.

Also, once he retires, the roof of the WFC should be painted with an enormous copy of his face. That way Timonen can always watch over the team.
I support this idea.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:49 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
you're crazy if you think he'll sign for $1.5m

Expect it to be at least $3m if he decides to come back
Yeah, I'd go as far as to say at least 4 mil.

Old
05-03-2014, 11:52 AM
renberg

I'd give him $4M of Pronger's LTIR number and put him on the roster one game after the season starts

renberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 12:00 PM
achdumeingute

Our prospects are all not ready. We a praying if Ghost, Hagg, Alt, Moron have to play any role in the NFL this year. It's not at all a bad plan to "buy" another year of time with Kimmo, even at a his diminished capacity.

People around here get WAY too worked up about a 1yr deal, even if we pay him 6 again...it doesn't do much to our longterm situation.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Our prospects are all not ready. We a praying if Ghost, Hagg, Alt, Moron have to play any role in the NFL this year. It's not at all a bad plan to "buy" another year of time with Kimmo, even at a his diminished capacity.

People around here get WAY too worked up about a 1yr deal, even if we pay him 6 again...it doesn't do much to our longterm situation.

Old
05-03-2014, 12:36 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

How drunk are you right now?

Old
05-03-2014, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Our prospects are all not ready. We a praying if Ghost, Hagg, Alt, Moron have to play any role in the NFL this year. It's not at all a bad plan to "buy" another year of time with Kimmo, even at a his diminished capacity. .
Didn't think the Eagles were that desperate for defensive players.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 01:20 PM
south jersey flyer

We need to give Gustafsson a chance to claim his role on defense. He's a positive contributor on the ice, yet he's constantly looked over. He can only get better, while Timonen can only get worse. Since this team is probably not going to be a Cup contender next year, why not give him a shot to take Timonen's role? If he falls flat on his face, you have the cap space to make a move during the year or next offseason.

I understand that I'm making this into a Timonen v. Gustafsson competition for a spot on the defense, but I think that's what it comes down to. We can't afford to have Timonen, Streit, Gustafsson, and MacDonald all on defense - we'll get overrun and outmuscled. We have to eliminate one of those players. We have the rights to Gustafsson and Timonen is a free agent contemplating retirement. I vote for re-signing Gustafsson and letting Timonen walk, even if he wants to return.

Thoughts?

south jersey flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 01:49 PM
Appleyard

I would give him $4million for 1 year.

After the Olympics up until the start of the playoffs he was fantastic again.

Heck, over the whole season he was at worst our 3rd best defenseman, and once again is easily the Flyer D man with the best possession figures, he still moves a puck well and is very poised in the neutral and D zone even if his speed has all but gone. His O zone play really did seem to have suffered this year, though there were still one or two awesome Kimmo plays with the puck.

It is no coincidence that Schenn looked like our 2nd best D man last year and Coburn had great years in 2011-12 and this year! He makes his partner better even at his age.

Personally I still think he is at worst our 2nd best defenseman defensively, Coburn is the only guy with a claim over him.

If he plays ~18-20 minutes a night and is relegated to PP2 while facing the toughest assignment at EV with say Coburn and playing PK1 he no doubt will make the team better. If he can put up 25-30 points next year on PP2 while providing the level of possession and defence he has this year he is worth $4million.

He is not the #1 (he was in all but size and acknowledgement around the league tbh) he used to be, up until arguably ~2012... but he is still a top 4 D man who will not be able to be replaced in FA.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 02:52 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Kimmo should have been named captain after Smith.

I know he's slowed down but I don't think his physical speed is much of an issue. Hell I don't think speed of the whole team in terms of mobility is the main issue. I think it's the lack of execution at a high speed that's the main problem. Boston is a prime example, they're hardly speedy but they move the puck so quick.
I agree with the execution at speed, but speeds also a big part of the problem. When teams dump the puck against us, or we dump against them, I'd say most of the time we're getting beat to pucks. Same deal with loose pucks, we just aren't getting to them like we should.

Lack of speed also forces us to play a more conservative system. Our defense can't get as involved in the play because if it's Timonen, Grossmann, Schenn or Streit, they're usually going to lose the race back if the puck is turned over near them or if a pinch goes poorly. Forces us to play that center up high.

I love Kimmo, but he's part of the problem at this point. How many times have we seen him get beat and be forced into a penalty? It's a huge problem on the powerplay too where if the pucks going the other way, he can't keep up and it's the biggest reason for all the shorthanded chances against this year. He's still plays really smart and it shows on the PK where he doesn't need speed as much, but the lack of speed really hurts us overall.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:06 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

Quote:
Originally Posted by south jersey flyer View Post
We need to give Gustafsson a chance to claim his role on defense. He's a positive contributor on the ice, yet he's constantly looked over. He can only get better, while Timonen can only get worse.
agreed, time to move along
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
After the Olympics up until the start of the playoffs he was fantastic again.
fantastic?
no
he had some truly bad games late in the year

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:39 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Timmonen is going to be back.
Best to accept it

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:31 AM
Appleyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMelchiondo View Post
agreed, time to move along

fantastic?
no
he had some truly bad games late in the year
20GP, 4G, 12A, 16P, +5

Sure he had some bad games... but he overall was pretty darn good after the Olympics.

Of the options out there:

Niskanen
Markov

are the only better UFA options, and both will be $5.5 million or more. Boyle before the year I would have said was as well... but his decline has been marked as well, and he is not as good defensively while bringing equivalent offence.

Nikitin and Stralman would be ok... but they are not as good. (though Niktin had a nice end of the year from what I saw, after looking crap at the start.)

Losing Timonen makes the team worse next year tbh... there are no real viable replacements that make the team better or ~even.

Another year at least lets Ghost, Alt, Morin and Hägg get one year more development without 'having' to perform at NHL level. If Ghost then proves next year he can play right away in the NHL Kimmo gives him a chance to play less pressure minutes and have a chance to find his feet instead of having to contribute heavily straight away.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:00 PM
dats81

This is what will happen: they will resign Timonen for 1 year @ 6M. He will again show up in camp out of shape after recovering from various nagging injuries, have a slow start and not really contribute for the first dozen of games. Chief will not take him off the first PP unit and Gustafsson will ride the pine over him.

Ghost and Hägg will play brilliant hockey on an otherwise crappy Phantoms team but won't be called up because no Veteran can be sent down without being exposed to waivers.

The Flyers will struggle and Homer will overpay for Edler before the deadline who pulls a Rahtje and goes on LTIR with a chronic back injury after playing inconsistent hockey for a couple of months...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 09:25 PM
FlyerFire

If this truly is the end for KIMMO T.

And I hope its not. But damn, GOD BLESS YOU Man. What a great player to have been a warrior for your team.We could never win him a cup but damn did he deserve one.Huge appreciation, even knowing the door may still be open to your playing 2015 determined by your health.Every once in a while as a fan we have to take a look and thing damn, one of the best players in the WORLD played here, for me, and the rest of Philadelphia. Humbling, thats for sure

FlyerFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 09:52 PM
The Dream
User Registered

If he doesn't end up returning to play, it will be a shame. It is unfortunate we could never get him a cup while he was here. He'll go down as one of the best defenseman in Flyers history. Hopefully he could accept some coaching role, I assume the youngsters would really improve with his help, especially Ghost.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 10:03 PM
The Rage Kage

He's a true class act, it's a shame something like this would happen to him. One of my favourite players.

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2014, 10:20 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 200
If we have truly seen the last of Kimmo I'm going to be sad. It's been a great 7 years.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 12:05 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I'm such a jinx. Every time I buy a player's jersey, something bad happens

Lindros...concussions, exiled from the city
Gagne...had the jersey for awhile, but eventually got concussion problems and was traded
Richards...2 years later is traded
Carter...never wanted it in the first place, but I got it as a gift. Traded. (Converted into a Simmonds jersey)
Timonen...just got the jersey this past spring, career is over

Looks like I'll be selling my Giroux and Simmonds jerseys ASAP

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 08-06-2014 at 01:37 PM. Reason: cleaned up
Old
08-06-2014, 02:34 PM
The Rage Kage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I'm such a jinx. Every time I buy a player's jersey, something bad happens

Lindros...concussions, exiled from the city
Gagne...had the jersey for awhile, but eventually got concussion problems and was traded
Richards...2 years later is traded
Carter...never wanted it in the first place, but I got it as a gift. Traded. (Converted into a Simmonds jersey)
Timonen...just got the jersey this past spring, career is over

Looks like I'll be selling my Giroux and Simmonds jerseys ASAP
Screw selling them, I'd burn them

Old
08-06-2014, 02:39 PM
hockeyfreak7

Weird how Hartnell and Timonen's tenures serve as bookends for the Holmgren era.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2014, 04:48 PM
The Rage Kage

Well at least he'll likely never have to play on a different team than his buddy hartnell, this season would be the first time they wouldn't be on the same team