HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Paul Stastny's Future

Closed Thread

Old
05-03-2014, 11:30 AM
tucker3434

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
It will be interesting - Stastny obviously had a strong season and enjoyed playing under Roy but his stats may give him leverage he didn't have before in commanding a big raise. If he could get $7M-8M on open market from some bottom feeder like Florida, Edmonton or Calgary, then the "hometown discount" the Avs may have to be accepting is his current salary.

I wouldn't go that far to call him "great" defensively - he did show better instincts and stats this year on that side and was never irresponsible in his own end but to call him a "great defensive center" makes it sound like he's a Bergeron-type of shutdown center. He's not.

Hasn't there been talk already of the ELC's of Landeskog and MacKinnon leading to huge raises? If Duchene / O'Reilly / Stastny all are in the $6M range and then those 2 young stars get raises, it sounds like Avs could end up like Edmonton with a lot of young, high-priced forwards and a lot of holes on defense.
Landeskog has already signed his long term deal at about a $5.5 cap hit. Mackinnon will be due a big raise but it's a couple years from now when the cap will undoubtedly go up.

It's silly to act like having too many good forwards is a problem. Our defense isn't stellar but it's miles ahead of Edmonton's.

Old
05-03-2014, 12:45 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker3434 View Post
Landeskog has already signed his long term deal at about a $5.5 cap hit. Mackinnon will be due a big raise but it's a couple years from now when the cap will undoubtedly go up.

It's silly to act like having too many good forwards is a problem. Our defense isn't stellar but it's miles ahead of Edmonton's.
Big praise.

Old
05-03-2014, 12:52 PM
Katani Kalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
A year ago he was supposedly this overpaid bum and now all the fans want their team to give him all the monies.
I find this funny as well. Stastny is a great complimentary player not a star. Surrounded by talent he had a great year make him the 1st line star on another team he goes back to being a over priced "bum". He would be smart to stay in Colorado at around 6-6.5 and enjoy the talent that surrounds him. If the Avalanche get their D fixed you guys are one scary team for the foreseeable future. I'm envious of that forward group for sure.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
BlueDream

St. Louis.

If he wants to stay with the Avs he'll stay. If he doesn't, he'll probably go to the Blues. I really don't see a team that offers a better situation than either one and doubt he signs anywhere else but we'll see.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB View Post
I don't see how this is viable under the cap with all their other contracts.
What?

Avs have tonnes of cap space going into next season.

Were currently at a payroll of 45.2M for next season, with 10/13 Forwards, 5/7 Defenseman, and 2/2 Goalies signed for next year.

The remaining spot to be filled would be ROR(6.5M), Stastny(7M), McGinn(3M) for the Forwards, and Barrie(2.75M) left to sign on Defense.

In otherwords, we'd still be around 64M in salary next year, with another 5-6M in space to sign the last Dman we need, either via UFA or within the organization.

Avs have tonnes of cap space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
St. Louis.

If he wants to stay with the Avs he'll stay. If he doesn't, he'll probably go to the Blues. I really don't see a team that offers a better situation than either one and doubt he signs anywhere else but we'll see.
Really dont understand the sense of self entitlement you guys have when it comes to Stastny.

I actually highly doubt he signs in STL. Its not really his hometown anymore(Denver is, he's lived in Denver for 10 years now), and theres really no big reason for him to play there, if anything there would be more reasons against signing there then anywhere else.

If he doesn't sign with Colorado, I think CBJ, Nashville, Dallas, Anaheim are all more likely locations then STL. All teams need a #1/2C, all have the cap space to sign Stastny, and all are either contenders now, close to being contenders, or are only a couple years away.

I dont think he'll go to a big market place like TOR, VAN, CHI, etc.

Last edited by Pierce Hawthorne: 05-04-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Added 2nd quote and response.
Old
05-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
St. Louis.

The way I see it as well. Both teams really have the only personal attachment for Stastny and the Blues, and hopefully the Avs soon too, are contenders.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:30 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
What?

Avs have tonnes of cap space going into next season.

Were currently at a payroll of 45.2M for next season, with 10/13 Forwards, 5/7 Defenseman, and 2/2 Goalies signed for next year.

The remaining spot to be filled would be ROR(6.5M), Stastny(7M), McGinn(3M) for the Forwards, and Barrie(2.75M) left to sign on Defense.

In otherwords, we'd still be around 64M in salary next year, with another 5-6M in space to sign the last Dman we need, either via UFA or within the organization.

Avs have tonnes of cap space.

It's actually not that easy. The cap next year, according to Bettman, will be 69 or 70 million. If that is indeed true and we use the numbers you mentioned...

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Ryan O'Reilly ($6.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / P-A Parenteau ($4.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Paul Stastny ($7.500m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m)
Jamie McGinn ($3.000m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Alex Tanguay ($3.500m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Nick Holden ($0.600m) / Tyson Barrie ($2.750m)
Ryan Wilson ($2.250m) / Stefan Elliott ($0.851m)
Nate Guenin ($0.800m) /
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Greg Zanon ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,746,929; BONUSES: $2,850,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $4,253,071]
A few things to note:

-That is a low cap hit for Barrie, knowing his agency they might not accept a bridge deal. They did not do so for ROR, something the Avs wanted.
-That is the lowest possible caphit for MacKinnnon. Depending what bonuses he earned, it could go up to 3.75 million.
-That is also with a cap of 70 million, if it's the lower number, 69, and with a few bonuses/a higher cap for Barrie, the Avs could be left with nothing to spend.

I would bet good money on Stastny not being brought back next year unless he accepts a number around 6. We know the Avs negotiated with his agent before the deadline, if they were willing to offer anything close to 7.5m he would have been signed long ago.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Iron Fist
give us your Avs

Quote:

If he doesn't sign with Colorado, I think CBJ, Nashville, Dallas, Anaheim are all more likely locations then STL. All teams need a #1/2C, all have the cap space to sign Stastny, and all are either contenders now, close to being contenders, or are only a couple years away.
He's stated he wants to play on a team that is a contender now.

It's MUCH more likely he signs with St. Louis over any team other than Colorado.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:41 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 1490
Quote:
Really dont understand the sense of self entitlement you guys have when it comes to Stastny.

I actually highly doubt he signs in STL. Its not really his hometown anymore(Denver is, he's lived in Denver for 10 years now), and theres really no big reason for him to play there, if anything there would be more reasons against signing there then anywhere else.

I dont think he'll go to a big market place like TOR, VAN, CHI, etc.
Well he's from St. Louis and will be able to go home and play in front of his old friends and family and St. Louis has the cap space to pay him a lot of money as well. Also St. Louis is a contender and if he went there he would be getting first line minutes in between Schwartz and Tarasenko, 2 great up and coming players. No other team can match this except for maybe matching the price (minus Colorado of course)

Old
05-04-2014, 08:44 PM
Iron Fist
give us your Avs

Seriously, it's going to be St. Louis or Colorado. I don't see any other scenario that makes more sense.

Old
05-04-2014, 08:52 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Like I said, I highly doubt he signs in STL. It might be his home town, and they may be contenders(Debatable give the current form of that team, could be with a Stastny addition), but I have my doubt he signs there. Based on the games this year, he doesn't like STL very much. Biggest reason being Hitchcock and his system.

After the Avs, I think Anaheim has the next best shot at signing him(More of a contender then STL, have the same opening STL has, and a much better system for Stastny to play in), followed by the Jackets(Would be contenders in 3 years tops with Stastny on the team).

Old
05-04-2014, 08:57 PM
stlblues9

Anaheim he plays behind Getzlaf and plays with who? Anaheim is no more contenders than St. Louis is, especially if St. Louis can get Stastny.
St. Louis with Stastny >>>> Anaheim with Stastny.

Columbus would be contenders in three years with Stastny? Why waste three years when he can go to a contender and home town now?

Listen, you clearly don't want Stastny going to the Blues but that's your opinion. St. Louis is an attractive destination for him whether you like to admit it or not.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
It's actually not that easy. The cap next year, according to Bettman, will be 69 or 70 million. If that is indeed true and we use the numbers you mentioned...

A few things to note:

-That is a low cap hit for Barrie, knowing his agency they might not accept a bridge deal. They did not do so for ROR, something the Avs wanted.
-That is the lowest possible caphit for MacKinnnon. Depending what bonuses he earned, it could go up to 3.75 million.
-That is also with a cap of 70 million, if it's the lower number, 69, and with a few bonuses/a higher cap for Barrie, the Avs could be left with nothing to spend.

I would bet good money on Stastny not being brought back next year unless he accepts a number around 6. We know the Avs negotiated with his agent before the deadline, if they were willing to offer anything close to 7.5m he would have been signed long ago.
One thing you need to understand is that the extra 4 or 5 million the Avs will have leftover isn't just money given to the team to spend. That's revenue and income that they needed to make. The cap is just there to prevent over-spenders, if a team doesn't have the money to spend near it, than that's their problem. No team just gets money from the NHL to spend to the cap.

That's part of the reason why a lot of teams don't spend to the cap.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:02 PM
LetsGoDevils30

Stastny shocks everyone and comes to NJ

In actuality, I see him staying in Colorado

Old
Iron Fist
give us your Avs

Quote:
Like I said, I highly doubt he signs in STL. It might be his home town, and they may be contenders(Debatable give the current form of that team, could be with a Stastny addition), but I have my doubt he signs there. Based on the games this year, he doesn't like STL very much. Biggest reason being Hitchcock and his system.

After the Avs, I think Anaheim has the next best shot at signing him(More of a contender then STL, have the same opening STL has, and a much better system for Stastny to play in), followed by the Jackets(Would be contenders in 3 years tops with Stastny on the team).

Again, he wants to be on a contender now. Not 3 years from now. His choices...

St. Louis

-Top minutes on the top line

-More money

Colorado

-Loyalty (which is huge, I'm not trying to minimize it)

It will be St. Louis or Colorado.

EDIT: And where in the world are you getting that he doesn't like St. Louis?

Old
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:

I'd like to see some explanation here. His dad seems to praise STL and commends the city as does his son.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
tempest2i
Feral

I fully expect the Avs to re-sign him.

Good teams don't let guys like him walk away without getting anything in return.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:13 PM
go4hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Bold prediction: 8m X 6 years to one of Toronto/Calgary

Calgary has the cap space for the next 2/3 years
Toronto has the desperate need to get a #1 center to try and make the playoffs next season

I think there is going to be a bidding war, and Colorado will back out fairly soon
If Colorado is going to sign it would be before he hits UFA so there would be no bidding war. If he makes it to UFA he will not be with the Avs

Old
05-04-2014, 09:27 PM
CrypTic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Anaheim he plays behind Getzlaf and plays with who? Anaheim is no more contenders than St. Louis is, especially if St. Louis can get Stastny.
St. Louis with Stastny >>>> Anaheim with Stastny.

Columbus would be contenders in three years with Stastny? Why waste three years when he can go to a contender and home town now?

Listen, you clearly don't want Stastny going to the Blues but that's your opinion. St. Louis is an attractive destination for him whether you like to admit it or not.
I think there's a good chance that he goes to St. Louis if he doesn't re-sign with Colorado. And he's the best option for the Blues if he's available since they wouldn't need to trade other assets. I also understand the appeal of playing #1 and the possible appeal of hometown ties. However, why do you think that St. Louis with Stastny would be better than Anaheim with Stastny, especially a lot better (as all your >>>> suggests to me)?

I think you're greatly underrating the Ducks here.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:34 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypTic View Post
I think there's a good chance that he goes to St. Louis if he doesn't re-sign with Colorado. And he's the best option for the Blues if he's available since they wouldn't need to trade other assets. I also understand the appeal of playing #1 and the possible appeal of hometown ties. However, why do you think that St. Louis with Stastny would be better than Anaheim with Stastny, especially a lot better (as all your >>>> suggests to me)?

I think you're greatly underrating the Ducks here.
Maybe I am, but a top 6 center is the the main hole for the Blues. St. Louis was fine with Sobotka in between Schwartz and Tarasenko but if you're able to add a talent like Stastny in between those two, a year after Schwartz broke out in the regular season and Tarasenko in the playoffs could be very deadly.

It also allows Sobotka to go back to the third line position and it just completely bring every line together. Steen Backes Oshie move down to the second line and can concentrate on the defensive side of the game more and not have to be counted on for the offense.

I don't even know who Stastny would play with in Anaheim. He's just the absolute perfect fit between Schwartz and Tarasenko, which is why I think he will be more of an impact player with the Blues than the Ducks.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:45 PM
CrypTic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
Maybe I am, but a top 6 center is the the main hole for the Blues. St. Louis was fine with Sobotka in between Schwartz and Tarasenko but if you're able to add a talent like Stastny in between those two, a year after Schwartz broke out in the regular season and Tarasenko in the playoffs could be very deadly.

It also allows Sobotka to go back to the third line position and it just completely bring every line together. Steen Backes Oshie move down to the second line and can concentrate on the defensive side of the game more and not have to be counted on for the offense.

I don't even know who Stastny would play with in Anaheim. He's just the absolute perfect fit between Schwartz and Tarasenko, which is why I think he will be more of an impact player with the Blues than the Ducks.
I'm a Blues fan as well. (#2 team, grew up rooting for them.) I think they need a #1 center and Stastny would be a very good fit for both Stastny and the Blues. I agree that he should be excellent centering Schwartz and Tarasenko. (Love both of them. Tarasenko kind of reminds me of Hertl, not in their play but in how they're so positive and bring energy to the team. Also, both of them got knocked out of the Calder race due to injuries but looked really good before then and since they've returned.)

I'm not sure who would be on Stastny's line for the Ducks. They had a lot of injuries this year and also have some fairly young players so it seemed like they juggled their lines a lot. Maybe Maroon and Silfverberg. They have a good roster. They were the best team in the West (by points at least) and they walked all over the Blues last season. They're a very good team and I'm sure that they could juggle lines to find one that works well with Stastny.

I hope that if he doesn't re-sign with Colorado, he signs with St. Louis (and not Anaheim), both as a Blues' fan and as a Sharks' fan.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:50 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The 4 realistic teams that will be high on Stastny's list will be Colorado, St. Louis, Anaheim, and possibly the Rangers. I see Colorado, St. Louis, and Anaheim as the only true contenders for him. I think the Ducks will end up targeting Kesler in the end.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:57 PM
stlblues9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypTic View Post
I'm a Blues fan as well. (#2 team, grew up rooting for them.) I think they need a #1 center and Stastny would be a very good fit for both Stastny and the Blues. I agree that he should be excellent centering Schwartz and Tarasenko. (Love both of them. Tarasenko kind of reminds me of Hertl, not in their play but in how they're so positive and bring energy to the team. Also, both of them got knocked out of the Calder race due to injuries but looked really good before then and since they've returned.)

I'm not sure who would be on Stastny's line for the Ducks. They had a lot of injuries this year and also have some fairly young players so it seemed like they juggled their lines a lot. Maybe Maroon and Silfverberg. They have a good roster. They were the best team in the West (by points at least) and they walked all over the Blues last season. They're a very good team and I'm sure that they could juggle lines to find one that works well with Stastny.

I hope that if he doesn't re-sign with Colorado, he signs with St. Louis (and not Anaheim), both as a Blues' fan and as a Sharks' fan.
That's why I think the Blues with Stastny are better than the Ducks with Stastny. Does either Maroon or Silfverberg have the offensive capabilities as Schwartz or Tarasenko do? I don't think so.

Although if Blues could somehow clone Hertl for that line, that would be something.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Fist View Post

Again, he wants to be on a contender now. Not 3 years from now. His choices...

St. Louis

-Top minutes on the top line

-More money

Colorado

-Loyalty (which is huge, I'm not trying to minimize it)

It will be St. Louis or Colorado.

EDIT: And where in the world are you getting that he doesn't like St. Louis?

Doubt he gets more money from a budget conscious Blues team. He's also getting top line minutes in Colorado already, so again no bonus there.

The Avs/Blues rivalry this season was big enough from the Avs perspective that I'd imagine Stastny has a sour taste in his mouth regarding the Blues. He was also noticeably more engaged emotionally in games against the Blues this year. You could tell the way he played those games that he doesn't like the Blues.

Again, like I said I highly doubt the Blues are even on the list of teams he'd have interest in if he were to walk from Colorado.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:08 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

If you think the Blues aren't on his list, then you are looking at the situation objectively. Everyone will be offering him big money and it will come down to mainly Colorado and St. Louis with Anaheim also being able to make a very strong pitch.

Closed Thread