HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toby Playing D - This is just too funny.

Old
03-09-2007, 09:22 PM
oilflash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillypriest View Post
Would it be a crime to actually say something nice about TP once in while? Like, for example, that he makes the NHL minimum wage and literally does whatever he is asked to do? I think a lot of you guys have been brutal to Toby all year long.

Makes me nuts...
I think it is a crying shame, poor Toby is being used as a scapegoat. The pick on him for what has ailed this team all year. He fits right in because he is under-sized, under-skilled and under-payed. Toby epitomized the Oilers team for this year and he's taking heat while playing above his head.

The Ducks have some big skilled forwards, we'll see if he can handle that kind of pressure while playing out of position as an under-sized defensemen. He's got game, unfortunately, it's at the AHL average level.

oilflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:29 AM
BeingAndNothingnes

Are you guys serious?

If you died in a terrible car accident tonight, TP (and the entire Oilers roster) wouldn't even know, let alone care about your passing - why do you care if people poke fun at him? I will never understand how some of you are so serious and worried when fans joke about the player or team that don't care about you.

I beg that you look up the term "scapegoat" and read the thread again. You'll soon realize (I hope) that the thread topic & initial post have no implication that TP is to blame. Rather, it's pointing out what a terrible mess we're in and laughing at it.

Do posters need to clarify everything? "by this I mean..." "This implies...." "This does not imply..."

BeingAndNothingnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:31 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
I would have brought Schremp up a long time ago. I would have played him 2-3 minutes a game, loaded with PP time. Would it work? Probably not, but atleast I would go out swinging, atleast give myself a shot to win. Toby won't get scored on but he won't score either, and isn't that the point of the PP... to score?

So, taking out Petersen for Schremp gives us a chance to win? You want to give Schremp only 2-3 ES minutes, then load him up with PP minutes? In a game like tonight, where the Oilers had only one powerplay...giving Schremp those 2 minutes, plus 2-3 minutes ES gives them more of a chance to win than Toby does? In a game, where the oilers were already short 1 healthy player, you want to scratch the one that can play EVERYWHERE for one that can play extremely limited ES minutes and PP mins? Right now, honestly, Schremp does not even compare to Petersen.

Also, as for Schremp...what is better for his development? 2-3 ES mins + PP time in the NHL OR having him play 10-15 mins a game in the AHL? You don't always get alot of powerplays in a game, so he is better off in the AHL this year.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:33 AM
Doc Scurlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeingAndNothingnes View Post
Are you guys serious?

If you died in a terrible car accident tonight, TP (and the entire Oilers roster) wouldn't even know, let alone care about your passing - why do you care if people poke fun at him? I will never understand how some of you are so serious and worried when fans joke about the player or team that don't care about you.

I beg that you look up the term "scapegoat" and read the thread again. You'll soon realize (I hope) that the thread topic & initial post have no implication that TP is to blame. Rather, it's pointing out what a terrible mess we're in and laughing at it.
Toby cares.

Doc Scurlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:39 AM
BeingAndNothingnes

Rin, you're going way off topic! This is a form of hijacking

I think it's well established that Schremp isn't ready. Mind you, you could toss him in for a few games for fanfare.

Old
03-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Rin

Quote:
Rin, you're going way off topic! This is a form of hijacking

I think it's well established that Schremp isn't ready. Mind you, you could toss him in for a few games for fanfare.
What can I say, I'm a thread terrorist...I hijack every thread I enter.

Old
03-10-2007, 03:04 AM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Has anyone on this board EVER mentioned the fact that Staios started his career as a LW? Toby's given much more effort than the average Oiler this year.

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:14 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Ed 94 View Post
Has anyone on this board EVER mentioned the fact that Staios started his career as a LW? Toby's given much more effort than the average Oiler this year.
Didn't he start on D, then move up to LW, then go back to D? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Old
03-10-2007, 03:55 AM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Are you guys serious?

If you died in a terrible car accident tonight, TP (and the entire Oilers roster) wouldn't even know, let alone care about your passing - why do you care if people poke fun at him?
He plays for the team that many of us feel dearly about; you making fun of him is a form of ridiculing my favourite team.

Peterson is replacing Moreau. Last year in 74 games Moreau scored 27 points. He is not the greatest offensive dynamo in the league or even on the team, but he is an extremely valued player. Peterson has filled in admirably in replacing one of the team's assistant captains. He is not the greatest player around, but he has done everything asked of him and helped out in the face of many injuries and setbacks, and he is not supposed to be the greatest weapon we have. He is our 13th or 14th forward. Picking on him is not funny; it only demonstrates your questionable knowledge of the team, the league and the game.

I would take his not caring if I died in a terrible accident over your arrogant and misinformed condescension any day of the week.

Quote:
I will never understand how some of you are so serious and worried when fans joke about the player or team that don't care about you
Because it's not funny.

Last edited by Poochiemoo: 03-10-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Poochiemoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:19 PM
BeingAndNothingnes

Poochiemoo - Arrogant? If you're going to bust out the insults, pick one that fits.

Reality: TP (even at the min) makes great money, he tries to earn more money, and if he doesn't know you, he doesn't care about you (general rule of thumb - do you really care when you hear about every passing on the news?). In fact, I'll go as far as saying that TP would be fine leaving the Oilers to make more money - it seems to be the trend in sports.

"it only demonstrates your questionable knowledge of the team, the league and the game."

Does it? Based on my posts, explain how. I'm interested how finding amusement in us putting a mediocre forward in D demonstrates my 'questionable knowledge' of the the team, the league, and the game its self!

Perhaps the words you should've used were: "your loyalty" For that I agree, and for that, my joke would be a violation.

Last edited by BeingAndNothingnes: 03-10-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old
03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Poochiemoo - Arrogant? If you're going to bust out the insults, pick one that fits.

Reality: TP (even at the min) makes great money, he tries to earn more money, and if he doesn't know you, he doesn't care about you (general rule of thumb - do you really care when you hear about every passing on the news?). In fact, I'll go as far as saying that TP would be fine leaving the Oilers to make more money - it seems to be the trend in sports.

"it only demonstrates your questionable knowledge of the team, the league and the game."

Does it? Based on my posts, explain how. I'm interested how finding amusement in us putting a mediocre forward in D demonstrates my 'questionable knowledge' of the the team, the league, and the game its self!

Perhaps the words you should've used were: "your loyalty" For that I agree, and for that, my joke would be a violation.
I'll choose my own words, thanks.

Old
03-10-2007, 02:59 PM
lopper

Its scary that Toby looked better than the players that are full time defensemen. At this point with pretty much no options left we had to put him on the backend and he did just fine last night.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
BeingAndNothingnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochiemoo View Post
I'll choose my own words, thanks.
Cute. Defensive. Dismissive.

I guess that's the solution when you can't explain anything you say.

Old
03-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Bucket

Hmm....Toby only played one shift of D last night..

Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Poochiemoo

Quote:
Cute. .
Thanks for calling me cute.