HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bad Contract Swap: Clarkson + 1st for Horton

Old
05-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Iggy-4-50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
No, they wouldn't.
Would love to know you and bet you a few grand but we'll never know because the BJ's wouldn't offer it in the first place.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:23 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMFAO View Post
Nathan horton has a limited no trade clause and Toronto is probably the last place he wanna go, he said that he wants to play in a small city and a small hockey market... Well exactly the opposite of Toronto.
This. Not that the value is close, but honestly it doesn't matter Horton made it pretty clear in all of his talk about his signing in Columbus that we can put the Leafs squarely as a place he wouldn't accept a trade to ever.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Would love to know you and bet you a few grand but we'll never know because the BJ's wouldn't offer it in the first place.
I don't disagree with that. I don't think either team does this. Clarkson's contract is horrendous, but I doubt the Leafs would give up a very good pick just to ditch it.

05-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Man Bear Pig

Toronto, the team capable of finishing in the bottom 5 any given season surrender a first rounder to get out a contract? what?

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

By the way there is a part of me that thinks this is the only way Clarkson's career doesn't turn into a complete disaster. He does play to the Columbus identity if it was Toronto eating 50% + 1st, they still probably don't touch it, but you could see him rebounding while leafs fans scream bloody murder about it. Well probably not, but still I cannot think of a better fit for Clarkson around the league than Columbus.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:39 PM
Paradoc
#CorporalKomarov

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
You're not just getting rid of Clarkson. You're getting rid of Clarkson and the gigantic albatross of a contract he has.
Which is why in saying it's better to keep Clarkson and a good pick for Horton, who is not the player we need.
Quote:
LOL, your forgetting Horton is a nice player to have in this mix. Leafs jump on this so fast your head would spin.
He's an alright player but we should NOT give up a nice piece just to trade away Clarkson.

Horton will be another grinder who will not fit in our system and later be traded/buy-out in a few years.

Paradoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:40 PM
Iggy-4-50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBoyle View Post
I don't disagree with that. I don't think either team does this. Clarkson's contract is horrendous, but I doubt the Leafs would give up a very good pick just to ditch it.
Horton alone is at least close to worth the 8th pick, adding the taking of Clarksons brutal contract makes this a big win for Toronto.

Leaf fans who wouldn't take this are out of their minds.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:43 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Horton alone is at least close to worth the 8th pick, adding the taking of Clarksons brutal contract makes this a big win for Toronto.

Leaf fans who wouldn't take this are out of their minds.
A healthy Horton, perhaps, but the one who has been ravaged with injuries over the past three years? I don't think so.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:49 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

wat.

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
So the leafs give up a 1st round pick just to switch bad contracts. No thanks.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 08:52 PM
Beezeral

one guy has injury issues, one guy has overpaid 4th liner issues. Ill take the guy with injury issues over the long run because if he ever gets healthy, you have a good player. all you are ever going to get out of clarkson is an extremely overpaid bottom 6 winger

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Jax Teller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezeral View Post
one guy has injury issues, one guy has overpaid 4th liner issues. Ill take the guy with injury issues over the long run because if he ever gets healthy, you have a good player. all you are ever going to get out of clarkson is an extremely overpaid bottom 6 winger
Yeah, but would you add an 8th overall pick or a McDavid chip in 2015 to go from the terrible player to the injury prone player, while gaining no salary relief?

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 09:18 PM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
Yeah, but would you add an 8th overall pick or a McDavid chip in 2015 to go from the terrible player to the injury prone player, while gaining no salary relief?
nope, not a first. but I would definitely make the swap if the sweetener is a bit more palatable.

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 09:21 PM
GenericFan2*

Are people this naive? The Clarkson contract has been demonized to the point of no return, its as if he's played out all seven seasons already at this pace

Clarkson at 5.25mill + Ehlers/Nylander (or whatever) > Horton at 5.4mill.

You're kidding yourself if you truly believe otherwise.

GenericFan2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:24 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

Columbus doesnt do it, but youre smoking something good if you think Toronto adds a 1st for nathan horton.

Vor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
So the leafs give up a 1st round pick just to switch bad contracts. No thanks.
Columbus politely says no. Horton is not a bad contract. He is exactly what Columbus wants and also just what the Leafs need. A gritty two-way player with top 6 skill. A guy who has come through under playoff pressure.

He was injured this year. Columbus knew that when they signed him.

If Clarkson was eligible for a compliance buy-out, Columbus might have put something together for Clarkson and an asset. Leafs fans surely remember the Olaf Kolzig deal. This would be similar only it would require a much better asset. Kolzig had an expiring contract. Since Clarkson is not eligible, I think there is no deal to be had here.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:48 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
I can't wait for Clarkson to have a solid season and a good playoff so people will love him
You might be waiting a very long time. Clarkson's numbers in Jersey were very inflated; he's generally dumb, lacks hockey IQ, and excels in breaking up plays by taking idiotic shots on net. He sucks at passing and doesn't have a particularly good shot. He's decent at mucking about around the net, but many players who don't have his huge contract can do that.

The guy just isn't very good. Devils fans knew it. Nonis didn't care to believe it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
I don't understand why Jackets fan really hate this. That 8th overall pick is worth quite a lot regardless of Clarkson's contract.
Clarkson's contract is a giant albatross.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Vor
RIP Lounge

yeah i wouldnt call horton a two-way player. hitting and being tough doesnt make you a two-way player.

Vor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
Columbus politely says no. Horton is not a bad contract. He is exactly what Columbus wants and also just what the Leafs need. A gritty two-way player with top 6 skill. A guy who has come through under playoff pressure.

He was injured this year. Columbus knew that when they signed him.

If Clarkson was eligible for a compliance buy-out, Columbus might have put something together for Clarkson and an asset. Leafs fans surely remember the Olaf Kolzig deal. This would be similar only it would require a much better asset. Kolzig had an expiring contract. Since Clarkson is not eligible, I think there is no deal to be had here.
Is he a RH top 4 Dman? Thats what the leafs need. Adding another winger is pointless and is barely even a priority. Horton does nothing for us except replace Clarkson's salary. Certainly not worth the 8th overall pick.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:21 PM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoicexOfxReason View Post
yeah i wouldnt call horton a two-way player. hitting and being tough doesnt make you a two-way player.
He's substantially better than Clarkson. That much is for sure.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:23 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Toronto isnt paying a 1st to get rid of Clarkson.

We'll eat a buy out if we have to, or just live with it.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:35 PM
kihei

vCash: 1600
Quote:
LOL, your forgetting Horton is a nice player to have in this mix. Leafs jump on this so fast your head would spin.
Not at the price of a 1st, no bloody way. Simplest thing is just to keep Clarkson and hope that he is better next year.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:07 AM
BigNickBjugstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
To Toronto:

Nathan Horton ($5.3 million through 2019-20)

To CBJ:

David Clarkson($5.25 million through 2019-20)

1st round pick

Two huge free agent signing busts. Everyone knows about Clarkson in Toronto, but Horton was pretty bad in Columbus (when healthy, which is rare these days). Both contracts are relatively equal so maybe this is a chance to swap disappointments and hope both players benefit from a change of scenery and style of play.

Clarkson would benefit from being back in a smaller market and his gritty, physical style fits the Jackets identity (and he'd replace Umberger once he's bought out) and Horton adds more of the scoring touch the Leafs were looking for from Clarkson.

Both contracts are bad no matter which team is paying them but I think both players would be better on the other team.

Horton is better player than Clarkson so the Leafs would have to add to the deal, and maybe even retain some salary, as opposed to just a one-for-one swap. A 1st round pick should do it. The extra first could help the CBJ put a trade package together for the real top line winger Johansen needs.
Why do you think Umberger is being bought out?

BigNickBjugstad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:39 AM
ALMO to BURE

Horton knows how to skate and play hockey. Clarkson...

ALMO to BURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:08 AM
Virtanen2Horvat
Radim Vrbata #17

vCash: 647
Wait to see what Horton can do this season. He was injured.

EDIT: Actually I have seen a bit of a decline after that Rome hit. Hmmm idk you will have to still see what he is capable of.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote