HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

This season is toast

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2007, 05:44 PM
  #51
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Good attitude!

Though, this is kind of how I look at our team tomorrow;
Straka-Nylander-Isbister
Prucha-Cullen-Orts
Hollweg-Betts-Avery
Orr-Dubinsky-Callahan

A 3 line team, and that after a game on the night before.

Though its defenitly not over. Jagr ought to be back by atleast Friday, and thats only two games. With games in hand we might still only be out by 3 pts or somthing, and with allot of hockey left.
If Callahan is brought up, I'd like to see:

Prucha-Nylander-Straka
Cullen-Dubinsky-Callahan
Avery-Betts-Orts
Isbister-Hollweg-Orr

UAGoalieGuy is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
  #52
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
I'm actually pretty happy that we came out of this game with a point. With 9 PP's and half our team gone I'll take it. Also, Pittsburgh means pretty much nothing to the Rangers right now. Now tomorrow's game on the other hand... obviously a MUST win.

I'm curious to see how this team will handle itself without Jagr.

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 05:51 PM
  #53
JamesG1221
 
JamesG1221's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
Bring up Jessiman. Ha Ha Ha









::::fowarding above comment to hockeyrodent@opinionatedhockeybloggers.com::::

JamesG1221 is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 06:25 PM
  #54
towely
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: new jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 323
vCash: 500
i don't think jags being out will be all that bad considering when the pp sucks its because of him and the great #1 line wasteing time playing keep away.
and i also think renneys biggest coaching woes are due to catering jagr.
i like jags and he is definitly one of the best but this team is too one dimensional when he is on the ice and i think all decisions should be based around what is good for the new york rangers and not what is good for jaramir jagr.

towely is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 06:35 PM
  #55
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlfie View Post
never thought id actually agree with a flyers fan, but this guy is right.
we got a point out of a game we didnt even expect to win.
we are in 8th with a couple of games in hand.
I'm going to agree with you MrAlfie. The guy makes a good point.

Disappointed as I am with today's loss, calling this season over is way premature and pessimistic. The Rangers still have a lot of talent in their lineup and down on the farm. You guys wanted to see the kids play, well your gonna see it now. What a great opportunity for them to grow and get leadership from guys who can give it(Orts, Avery, Cullen, etc.).

I'm actually thinking this will be kind of fun. No slight on JJ here, but maybe we'll actually shoot the puck on the PP now.

Pizza is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 06:43 PM
  #56
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,975
vCash: 500
Carolina is struggling, so if we can somehow get a win then have a few days off maybe Jagr will get better, plus shanny is doing light workouts now so hopefully we can get him back in a couple weeks

bubba5 is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 06:48 PM
  #57
jas
Unsatisfied
 
jas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 12,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
I'm going to agree with you MrAlfie. The guy makes a good point.

Disappointed as I am with today's loss, calling this season over is way premature and pessimistic. The Rangers still have a lot of talent in their lineup and down on the farm. You guys wanted to see the kids play, well your gonna see it now. What a great opportunity for them to grow and get leadership from guys who can give it(Orts, Avery, Cullen, etc.).

I'm actually thinking this will be kind of fun. No slight on JJ here, but maybe we'll actually shoot the puck on the PP now.
But who will Rozsival pass to on the PP?

jas is online now  
Old
03-10-2007, 06:57 PM
  #58
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
But who will Rozsival pass to on the PP?
I get the point.

I say take him off and put Cullen and Mara out there. I think giving JJ a rest may actually free things up a little on the PP.

Pizza is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 07:07 PM
  #59
nexusrage21
Registered User
 
nexusrage21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 816
vCash: 500
This is a team that (outside of Orr and Malik really) can really skate. If no Jagr means we play more end to end instead of board to board, I think we will benefit. Jagr is a big part of the team, but there are ways to win without him.

Team Defense, hot goalie, good skating.

To live without challenge is not really living.

nexusrage21 is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
  #60
ThirdEye
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 11,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
To live without challenge is not really living.
Very true. I'd rather be a fan of this team right now than a team that has already locked a playoff spot and is just playing for the sake of playing. The games are much more emotional and every game is about as important as the last. If the Rangers don't make the playoffs it will suck a lot, but if we do it will be the sweetest thing. Even sweeter if we can actually get past the first round

ThirdEye is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
  #61
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Very true. I'd rather be a fan of this team right now than a team that has already locked a playoff spot and is just playing for the sake of playing. The games are much more emotional and every game is about as important as the last. If the Rangers don't make the playoffs it will suck a lot, but if we do it will be the sweetest thing. Even sweeter if we can actually get past the first round
If this team can get healthy, get in, and get past the first round...WATCH OUT. But we're a long way from there at the moment. One game at a time. Only goal right now is to beat the Whalers tomorrow.

broadwayblue is online now  
Old
03-10-2007, 08:05 PM
  #62
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,903
vCash: 500
I think people are delusional if they dont think the loss of Jagr will be anything but brutal for this team... It almost seems like people have let their problems with Jagr turn into something crazy and stupid where they dont think he's absolutely vital. Jagr has some annoying things about him, but he is this team.

Fortunately it seems like it may be an injury where some time off helps him, but otherwise, the season is over. Even if they were to make the playoffs, there is zero threat of doing anything which is the whole idea anyway.

NYROrtsFan is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 08:40 PM
  #63
Son of Steinbrenner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Tromelin
Posts: 9,435
vCash: 500
If the Rangers can play the same defense first game they have been playing for the past 2 months they will be IN every game the rest of the way...

I don't think they have enough with or without Jagr but they are far from toast....

Son of Steinbrenner is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 09:28 PM
  #64
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
If the Rangers can play the same defense first game they have been playing for the past 2 months they will be IN every game the rest of the way...

I don't think they have enough with or without Jagr but they are far from toast....
The first part of this statement is spot on. Over the last two months the Ranger defense is as good as any team in the league. If the other team has to struggle to score, you are in every game. Hockey is a sport where teams often overcome obstacles to achieve beyond expectations. Filling the lineup out with quality AHL players is not a recipe for failure. Anyone who watched the last few games and did not know Brad Isbister's history would be hard pressed to say he wasn't a contibuting NHL player. Good teams overcome adversity. That may be what we are seeing here and now. This team has more heart than any Ranger team I can remember since the 1997 playoffs. The second part, I don't agree with.


Last edited by bobbop: 03-11-2007 at 10:49 AM.
bobbop is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 09:58 PM
  #65
danno2530
 
danno2530's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,454
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Give me a break. As long as Lundqvist can stay healthy, this team is far from toast. I pray I didn't just jinx him, but it's the truth.

You cannot tell me Jagr is displaying his 05-06 form this season. Not even close. It's not that he has been bad, it's just that teams have clamped down on him, he isn't 100% and he simply hasn't been as good. He has still been very good, we will miss him if he's out for a while and you can't replace his kind of talent. But this team is not done.

It's just a matter of going out there tomorrow and smacking around the Hurricanes. I'll be there waking up early for me on a sunday (10 AM) and in my seat in the 300 level rooting for a win in a huge game. Don't lose faith.

danno2530 is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 10:29 PM
  #66
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
This team has more heart than any Ranger team I can remember since the 1997 playoffs.
How can a team with an idiot for a coach and a bunch of soft Europeans, with a wimpy European captain, have more heart than teams that featured great leaders like Messier, Lindros, Leetch, etc.?

Czech Your Math is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 10:43 PM
  #67
beezer345
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
The first part of this statement is spot on. Over the last two months the Ranger defense is as good as any team in the league. If the other team has to struggle to score, you are in every game. Hockey is a sport where teams often overcome obstacles to achieve beyond expectations. Filling the lineup out with quality AHL players is not a recipe for failure. Anyone who watched the last few games and did not know Brad Isbister's history would be hard pressed to say he wasn't a contibuting NHL player. Good teams overcome adversity. That may be what we are seeing here and now. This team has more heart than any Ranger team I can remember since the 1997 playoffs.
you are absolutely nuts saying that the ranger defense has been as good as any in the NHL over the past 2 months. how do you explain the multiple 2 goal leads blown over that time? certainly a combination of bad defense and bad luck. don't you think? even in the games where they did not give up a whole lot of goals, there are always several defensive gaffes which are downright embarrassing. to me it's always been a lot more about henrik rather than the D.

are you kidding me about brad isbister? the only reason he is here right now is b/c of the injuries. what exactly has he done over his nhl career? he is a 3rd/4th liner who is filling in on the 1st line b/c of a plethora of injuries.

i don't know if i believe in the rangers or not this season but those statements were just way off.

beezer345 is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 10:50 PM
  #68
Czech Your Math
Registered User
 
Czech Your Math's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: bohemia
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,358
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danno2530 View Post
Give me a break. As long as Lundqvist can stay healthy, this team is far from toast. I pray I didn't just jinx him, but it's the truth.

You cannot tell me Jagr is displaying his 05-06 form this season. Not even close. It's not that he has been bad, it's just that teams have clamped down on him, he isn't 100% and he simply hasn't been as good. He has still been very good, we will miss him if he's out for a while and you can't replace his kind of talent. But this team is not done.

It's just a matter of going out there tomorrow and smacking around the Hurricanes. I'll be there waking up early for me on a sunday (10 AM) and in my seat in the 300 level rooting for a win in a huge game. Don't lose faith.
I agree, Lundqvist has been carrying this team the last two months.

While Jagr hasn't been close to 100% all season, I think some people underestimate his impact on the other team. The opponents' whole strategy revolves around shutting down Jagr, and his absence will affect the team dramatically. It may not be apparent for a game or two, but if he misses more than a week, they're toast.

With all the injuries the Rangers have had, still:
- They haven't been shutout in 20 games since all-star break.
- They have not lost a game by more than 1 goal in 10 games, and only once in 20 games.
- Lundqvist hasn't given up more than 3 goals in his last 14 games (13 full games), and only once in his last 23 games (21 full games).

Without Jagr, it's likely only a matter of time, before each of those streaks is broken.

Big game against Carolina, has the importance of a playoff game. I figured they would probably lose in OT/SO at Pittsburgh, but can't lose this one!


Last edited by Czech Your Math: 03-11-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: n
Czech Your Math is offline  
Old
03-10-2007, 11:07 PM
  #69
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,295
vCash: 500
...

as always, every time we lose a game or get an injury, someone on this site starts preaching "SEASON IS OVER"


Again, if you don't have faith in your own team, that's a shame...but why bring this negativity to the rest of us?

what is the point of this discussion here? why not just make a BIG thread that is titled "everytime we lose or have an injury, our season is over"...do that, and keep posting there every time we lose or get an injury.

sounds good?!

Evgeny Oliker is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 08:14 AM
  #70
natureboy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 423
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
wrong losing jagr is not a big deal
You may have a point but i'm tired of every single year this team getting depleted by injuries. I think if this team was a little healthier it is better than last years. But as a ranger fan we have seen this same old story year after year. Just once i'd like it to happen to a team like the devils.

natureboy* is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 10:11 AM
  #71
Garv23
Registered User
 
Garv23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Rockland, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
The season is toast? Jesus guys! We played 2 grueling games against the Isles and won. Then lost in OT but got a point. 5 pts. out of 6 aint too bad if you ask me. I hate the way they lost and am concerned about the injuries too, but holy ****!

Garv23 is online now  
Old
03-11-2007, 10:46 AM
  #72
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer345 View Post
you are absolutely nuts saying that the ranger defense has been as good as any in the NHL over the past 2 months. how do you explain the multiple 2 goal leads blown over that time? certainly a combination of bad defense and bad luck. don't you think? even in the games where they did not give up a whole lot of goals, there are always several defensive gaffes which are downright embarrassing. to me it's always been a lot more about henrik rather than the D.

are you kidding me about brad isbister? the only reason he is here right now is b/c of the injuries. what exactly has he done over his nhl career? he is a 3rd/4th liner who is filling in on the 1st line b/c of a plethora of injuries.

i don't know if i believe in the rangers or not this season but those statements were just way off.
You need to pay better attention. The Rangers GAA over the last two months is the best during that period in the NHL by a wide margin. They are 8-3-3 in their last 14 games. You should check out what Rodent had to say about this earlier this week. Defense is a team effort. Henrik has been great but who made the mistake on the 1st Penguin goal yesterday -- official hint, his initials were HL. And as for Isbister exactly my point. He's a career grunt who is playing his heart out right now. So are a bunch of other guys.

bobbop is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
  #73
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Forgetting about Lundqvist for a sec, Jagr is miles ahead of every other player in importance to the team. This does not mean that they couldn't get into the playoffs without him. Anything can happen over a short period of time but to think he is not the gasoline that drives this car is not understanding what he means to the team.

chosen is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:40 AM
  #74
NewYorkStranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Ragazzone View Post
wrong losing jagr is not a big deal
Yup, 78 pts. 10th in the NHL in scoring, no big deal. We could lose that no problem, really

NewYorkStranger is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 02:30 PM
  #75
MrAlfie
 
MrAlfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Rehab
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
may i have some salami with that lovely toast

MrAlfie is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.