HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Ryan Kesler vs Jason Spezza

View Poll Results: Who would you sign for more money to play for a team atm?
Kesler 32 31.68%
Spezza 69 68.32%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-03-2014, 03:53 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Yeah, I think Kesler can be a very useful player but I don't think this comparison is very close.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 04:03 PM
Regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklebot View Post
A Michalek was pretty bad this year for a good stretch at the start of the year as well. There are always extra circumstances that don't easily show up in the stats.

I guess the point I was trying to make was that Kesler didn't really have any worse linemates than Spezza did, certainly not to the extent that the post I quoted was trying to suggest.
No doubt, just pointing out playing with the Sedins and particularly Daniel this year wasn't as beneficial as it would be most years.

Kesler certainly hasn't played regularly with offensive dynamos and his point totals are hurt by it. But the difference with Spezza is he's the type of guy who can carry those types of players and make them better, whereas Kesler doesn't have the skill for that. I think Kesler was probably the better player this year, even if he's a step slower than his 70 points seasons, but that's with Spezza dealing with a pretty bad back. I think the only reason to take Kesler would be if you think Spezza will never be the same.

Regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Patchey*

Canucks fan saying Spezza

Patchey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 04:05 PM
JohnnyBerts

Not even close besides they both play center on non-playoff teams.

JohnnyBerts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 07:12 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regal View Post
No doubt, just pointing out playing with the Sedins and particularly Daniel this year wasn't as beneficial as it would be most years.

Kesler certainly hasn't played regularly with offensive dynamos and his point totals are hurt by it. But the difference with Spezza is he's the type of guy who can carry those types of players and make them better, whereas Kesler doesn't have the skill for that. I think Kesler was probably the better player this year, even if he's a step slower than his 70 points seasons, but that's with Spezza dealing with a pretty bad back. I think the only reason to take Kesler would be if you think Spezza will never be the same.
No way the sedins have been worse than michalek though and your right the only problem with spezza is his bad back, other than that its spezza

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Madness71

Kesler.

Madness71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:24 AM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Wow kinda surprised Spezza is winning this. I'd go with him as well.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:20 AM
JetsAlternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Benoit Bawls View Post
Yep, I live in Vancouver and watch plenty of Nucks. Kesler hasnt been more than a 2nd liner in 3-4 years. Spezza has been a 1st liner every year for the past 10.
This is very true. Kesler peaked in 2011. Since then, he has not looked good. He has been incredibly inconsistent. In 2010-11, his shooting percentage was 15.8%. This year, his shooting percentage is 10.5%. Last year, it was 11.1%. In 2011-12, it was 9.9%. He misses the net quite often now. He frequently plays a very selfish offensive game which involves either trying to deke around players once he crosses the blue line or taking a shot. He has lost some of his speed as well.

Prior to 2011-12, his shot from the top of the faceoff circles used to find its way past goaltenders; in 2010-11, he found a place in front of the net on the Canucks' powerplay. He rarely can be seen these days generating the same kinds of chances he once did. In addition, his playmaking abilities have disappeared to a large degree. He is no longer an consistent offensive threat. When he wants to elevate his game, he can; unfortunately, he only appears interested in elevating his game one-third of the time.

Ryan Kesler is very expendable for the Canucks right now.

Last edited by JetsAlternate: 05-04-2014 at 03:29 AM.
JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:34 AM
CanucksSayEh

Kesler was our best forward this year............ Not much of a debate there..

He's pretty much the only player we have that scores. Don't think he's far from his 25/50 season. Back then he had 2x 25g scorers to work with. He makes his money around the net, creating chances. Did it all season, same as any other.

He's the only guy on the team who's goal totals weren't really effected by the overall impotence of the Canucks.

CanucksSayEh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:38 AM
Honour Over Glory

Jason Spezza is above average defensively, but his offense is elite, for me, that's huge enough for me to take Spezza over Kesler. On the Pens, I don't really want either, but if I am looking at it from another team I like (like say, the Wild, I'll take Spezza any day).

Spezza is a 90+ pt center that is definitely elite.

Kesler is not, he's a solid 2-way player that most of the time, seems to play for himself, but is a warrior when his body allows it.

This isn't 2010-11.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:44 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

I'd take Kesler over Hank Sedin so I'd take Kesler over Spezza too.

iFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:45 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Kesler was our best forward this year............ Not much of a debate there..

He's pretty much the only player we have that scores. Don't think he's far from his 25/50 season. Back then he had 2x 25g scorers to work with. He makes his money around the net, creating chances. Did it all season, same as any other.

He's the only guy on the team who's goal totals weren't really effected by the overall impotence of the Canucks.
Lol, so what? Your forward group was one of the worst in the league. That says nothing. You're right its not much of a debate, Spezza is far better.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:46 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

Spezza AINEC. Shut this poll down its sickening.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:50 AM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Lol, so what? Your forward group was one of the worst in the league. That says nothing. You're right its not much of a debate, Spezza is far better.
Directed at all the Nucks fans saying he's been a problem here. It's really been everyone else. Maybe not better than Spezza, will see next season.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:51 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Yep, I live in Vancouver and watch plenty of Nucks. Kesler hasnt been more than a 2nd liner in 3-4 years. Spezza has been a 1st liner every year for the past 10.
You clearly haven't watched the Canucks these last 3-4 years then lol Kesler starts mostly in the defensive zones, Sedins like Spezza start in the offensive zones, so they better produce more pts cause their being set up to do so. Both are great players that play different but Spezza isn't clearly better and I'd much rather have Kesler come playoffs given his style of play and his heart to win, he's one of the few on the Canucks who digs deep.

Old
05-04-2014, 03:53 AM
iFan
McDavid to Virtanen

Quote:
Compare their linemates over their careers well you're at it and you'll see one has had by far the better linemates than the other...

Old
05-04-2014, 03:57 AM
CanucksSayEh

I can see why people got on Kes' case in 2011/12 when he was coming off surgeries. He played selfish, didn't use his linemates, tried to do it all himself. He was playing frustrated. Since then he's been fine though. He's a capable passer, but he racks up assists by getting the puck around the net via forechecking and rebounds. Back in the day, he had linemates that could finish, no more.. Why are so many people complaining about our best goalscorer shooting? especially when the alternative is passing to Hansen so he can miss the net.

Old
05-04-2014, 04:13 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Blues fan saying Spezza.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Compare their linemates over their careers well you're at it and you'll see one has had by far the better linemates than the other...
Lol, another clue that you havent watched the Sens! What a surprise.

Over the past 5 years, Spezza has played almost every game with Michalek, nearly half with Greening, a handful with Zibanejad, Hemsky for 20 games, and then Alfie when we needed a goal. Besides Alfie, those guys have 2 40+ point seasons in the past 5 years. Spezza might be one of the best examples in the entire league of an elite player who consistently gets average, replacement level linemates.

I live in Vancouver and see almost as much Nuck hockey as I do the Sens. Higgins is just as good, if not better, than Michalek. Your argument is based on a fallacy that you and others have falsely conjured in their minds.

Old
05-04-2014, 10:03 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
You clearly haven't watched the Canucks these last 3-4 years then lol Kesler starts mostly in the defensive zones, Sedins like Spezza start in the offensive zones, so they better produce more pts cause their being set up to do so. Both are great players that play different but Spezza isn't clearly better and I'd much rather have Kesler come playoffs given his style of play and his heart to win, he's one of the few on the Canucks who digs deep.
Thats actually pretty hilarious because Spezza is a top 5-10 prolific playoff scorer of his generation... Not like you guys have ever had trouble scoring in the playoffs

Old
05-04-2014, 12:56 PM
NickLidstrom
Ottawa & Detroit fan

Talent wise, not even close Spezza.
Defensively, not even close Kesler.
Offensively, not even close Spezza.
All around game, not even close Kesler.
Who's the better player? I think Spezza, because I value offense more then most people on these boards.
However, I can definitely see why some would think Kesler is the better player currently and going forward, though I don't think its very close career wise.

In terms of trade value? I think its obviously Kesler, if only because of his contract compared to Spezza's and that it seems Spezza is injured more often then Eric Lindros.

05-04-2014, 01:14 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
I wonder why Spezza is used as a 1st line center generally and Kesler a 2nd or 3rd line center.

PS=Linemates have little to do with Kesler's success unless they are high end playmakers, he's a pretty solitudal player (shoot first, man on man defender, with very little playmaking or true cycling acumen).

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Ronaldo
OVOXO

vCash: 855
Quote:
I'd take Kesler over Hank Sedin so I'd take Kesler over Spezza too.
What? Kesler is not better than Henrik.

"OVOXO your girlfriend at my next show"
Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote