HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler Prospects

Old
03-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Waterboy

vCash: 500
Oiler Prospects

I just got the Hockey News Prospects Mag, here’s a list of the up and coming Oilers with a brief write up on the Islander guys we picked up (according to the HOckey News of course).

Of interest, here is their projected top 10 for this years draft:

Kane
Vanriemsdyk
Alzner
Turris
Gagner
Esposito
Cherepanov
Voracek
Sutter
Ellerby

Ryan O’Marra, C 19 yrs. (15th overall, 2005)
6-1, 193, 30-15-13-28-59

He responded to a so-so start by regaining his bruising style that will land him in Bridgeport after the s season. He also won his second straight WJC gold medal.

Robert Nilsson, RW 22 yrs. (15th Overall, 2003)
5-11, 183, 36-9-27-36-24

Nilsson has been a point-per-game player at Bridgeport, but Ted Nolan has told him he stsill needs to improve on his defensive determination to gain regular NHL employment.

Denis Grebeshkov, D 23 y5s.
6-1, 195, 37-6-8-14-63

The Islanders still consider the puck-moving Gregeshkov their top blueline prospect outside the NHL. He has also stepped up physically this season.

Top 10 Oiler prospects in order (their overall Prospect ranking) and a brief description:

Cogliano (29) - Blazing speed, great eye for the ice – still a few years away
Pouliot (43) - Complete offensive skill set – must translate to the NHL level (seems to be working)
Schremp (66) – NHL caliber stick, shooting and offensive skills, needs a lot of work on his defensive game – skating and fitness are improving.
Dubnyk (74) – Covers a ton of net, in the ECHL to get playing time until Oil have own AHL team for him to start on.
Gilbert – No far off from becoming a top 4 NHL dman, decent offensive upside.
Jacques – Lack of energy lost his roster spot with the Oilers
Deslauriers – Oil would like more games for JD but have no say.
Syvret – Looked great in last two games (that’s all me…take that Hockey News!!)
Petry – Point a game Dman(USHL) bound for Michigan state
Mikhnov – Wasn’t happy in AHL – back in Russia (can Grabeshkov save his NHL hopes?).

Waterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:08 AM
JonQuixote

THN Future Watch is weird. It's like, the less knowledge they have about the way a prospect projects to the NHL the higher they rate him. "Josh Harding, in the AHL and putting up great numbers, solid spot duty performance in the NHL, almost guaranteed to be no worse than a solid NHL starter... but Carey Price *might* be the next Brodeur. Why? Because nobody's seen him play in the big leagues yet!. So, Carey Price #1 and Harding, ohhh, #9. (Of course Price *might* be the next Corey Hirsch. We'll find out!)

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:13 PM
billranford30

The Future Watch issue has always seemed to be a little behind in their individual team rankings. Further to that, they forgot Chorney altogether this year in the Oilers rankings. He's not in the Oilers' top 10, but Jeff Petry is. I don't think you'd find one scout who would rate Petry ahead of Chorney.

billranford30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 01:35 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by billranford30 View Post
The Future Watch issue has always seemed to be a little behind in their individual team rankings. Further to that, they forgot Chorney altogether this year in the Oilers rankings. He's not in the Oilers' top 10, but Jeff Petry is. I don't think you'd find one scout who would rate Petry ahead of Chorney.
Don't be so sure on that. I think the Oilers see Chorney and Petry on par with each other. Petry is really good.

Chorney should have made our top 10 though, you're right.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Don't be so sure on that. I think the Oilers see Chorney and Petry on par with each other. Petry is really good.

Chorney should have made our top 10 though, you're right.
Wow, I know scouts are high on Chorney so that just says how high they feel about Petry. He was called a possible gem when drafted and the way he has blossomed since being drafted leads me to believe that he is more hit than miss. Petry has everything needed to be a top pairing D. Size, speed, effortless skating, good passing, and long reach. His upside has no limits really.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traktor View Post
Wow, I know scouts are high on Chorney so that just says how high they feel about Petry. He was called a possible gem when drafted and the way he has blossomed since being drafted leads me to believe that he is more hit than miss. Petry has everything needed to be a top pairing D. Size, speed, effortless skating, good passing, and long reach. His upside has no limits really.

Not that i am arguing he has upside, but isn't Top pairing pushing it a bit?? Like im not bashing you or anything, but Petry IMO will be a Top 4 guy, i haven't seen him, but from all reports, he's not flashy, but he is really solid in his own zone. May i ask where you think he could be Top pairing?? Again im not questioning your knowledge, just asking where you came to that conclusion from?? Thank you

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Gamefreak
Bee.

Am I out to lunch or does seeing Van Riemsdyk at #2 seem more than a little strange?

Gamefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 03:39 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamefreak View Post
Am I out to lunch or does seeing Van Riemsdyk at #2 seem more than a little strange?
From what i've heard/read, JVR is the most complete forward in the draft and could jump into the NHL next year. I don't think he has the upside of a Kane, Turris or Cherry, but he's complete.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:10 PM
Traktor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Not that i am arguing he has upside, but isn't Top pairing pushing it a bit?? Like im not bashing you or anything, but Petry IMO will be a Top 4 guy, i haven't seen him, but from all reports, he's not flashy, but he is really solid in his own zone. May i ask where you think he could be Top pairing?? Again im not questioning your knowledge, just asking where you came to that conclusion from?? Thank you
If Jason Smith can be considered a top pairing defensemen then Petry could be considered a future hall of famer.

To me, to be a top pairing defensemen you need to be atleast 6'2 with a long reach(stick position is what makes Prongs what he is) Petry has it. Petry is 6'4 and skates remarkably well for his size. He can skate backwards as fast as many can skate going forward. Will Petry ever be a top pairing defensemen? I'm not sure but my point is he posseses all the tools that scouts look for in top paring defensmen.

Chorney looks great, but he lacks the size to be a # 1 defensemen that is the difference.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 04:34 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
No he is flashy. At least in terms of taking care of his own zone. He relishes that and that is his primary focus.

But he has all the individual pieces as well to be a top notch offensive guy. He can skate like the wind, forwards and backwards, he can stickhandle and shoot. He only rushed the puck once, but he got off a great shot and just danced through players. He could be a great offensive D-man if he got the right coaching. That is why I am very excited that he cranked up his offense this year to a PPG. I really want to see what he can do in the NCAA.

In his zone, he can pivot, react, and compensate quickly and, in his admittedly lower tier league, he can't be beat to the outside. Well I saw it happen once in the all star game, when a speedy forward got the puck at full speed and Petry was almost standing still. And he still covered enough ground to force him behind the net. Kid's got legs.

Upside really is top notch, he just has a very long way to get there. Raw potential is huge. Size, speed, commitment to his zone first with a PPG average? I just hope his NCAA coach can help start to put it all together. He's going up against Cogliano next year, so he'll have to be good.

From McKeen's

"02/12/2007 - His elegant, long, and powerful stride was pure eye candy for this scout .. his mobility is superb .. poised with the puck .. sees the ice well and distributes the puck efficiently .. has a quick release and keeps his shot low.

10/16/2006 - Silky smooth skater, effortlessly produces an elegant & strong stride. Pivots fluently, very light on his feet, can skate backwards better than some of his peers can forwards, has a blistering top gear that he needs to use more, acceleration is also first rate, uses his speed more for defensive as he can gives his man nothing off the rush. Has superb vision, never turns the puck over with an errant pass, makes quick decisions, and moves the puck crisply, especially strong on the outlet where he can also stretch the ice with a long pass. Comfortable on the powerplay but doesn't make many creative passes, just safe ones Possesses a strong shooting arsenal, has an effective wrist shot and can one time a slap shot. Quickly releases his shot, always gets it through, his shots have solid zip behind them, and they are accurate. Defensive play is very good, shuts down the opponents at this level. Impressive gap control, uses his superior skating and long reach to stay with tight with his man. Has a good positional sense in his own end, likes to use his long reach to poke the puck away from the puck carrier, also clogs passing lanes well, and picks proper angles to block a shot. Appeared to be much more physical this year after the first two games, but on the third night he may have suffered from fatigue and was not as aggressive. Looks to have added some bulk, appears more aggressive this year, will jump up for an open ice hit, and neutralizes his man one on one along the boards. Even fought in a game and handled himself quite well. Definitely on the right track. "

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:02 AM
tru_gq

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
No he is flashy. At least in terms of taking care of his own zone. He relishes that and that is his primary focus.

But he has all the individual pieces as well to be a top notch offensive guy. He can skate like the wind, forwards and backwards, he can stickhandle and shoot. He only rushed the puck once, but he got off a great shot and just danced through players. He could be a great offensive D-man if he got the right coaching. That is why I am very excited that he cranked up his offense this year to a PPG. I really want to see what he can do in the NCAA.

In his zone, he can pivot, react, and compensate quickly and, in his admittedly lower tier league, he can't be beat to the outside. Well I saw it happen once in the all star game, when a speedy forward got the puck at full speed and Petry was almost standing still. And he still covered enough ground to force him behind the net. Kid's got legs.

Upside really is top notch, he just has a very long way to get there. Raw potential is huge. Size, speed, commitment to his zone first with a PPG average? I just hope his NCAA coach can help start to put it all together. He's going up against Cogliano next year, so he'll have to be good.

From McKeen's

"02/12/2007 - His elegant, long, and powerful stride was pure eye candy for this scout .. his mobility is superb .. poised with the puck .. sees the ice well and distributes the puck efficiently .. has a quick release and keeps his shot low.

10/16/2006 - Silky smooth skater, effortlessly produces an elegant & strong stride. Pivots fluently, very light on his feet, can skate backwards better than some of his peers can forwards, has a blistering top gear that he needs to use more, acceleration is also first rate, uses his speed more for defensive as he can gives his man nothing off the rush. Has superb vision, never turns the puck over with an errant pass, makes quick decisions, and moves the puck crisply, especially strong on the outlet where he can also stretch the ice with a long pass. Comfortable on the powerplay but doesn't make many creative passes, just safe ones Possesses a strong shooting arsenal, has an effective wrist shot and can one time a slap shot. Quickly releases his shot, always gets it through, his shots have solid zip behind them, and they are accurate. Defensive play is very good, shuts down the opponents at this level. Impressive gap control, uses his superior skating and long reach to stay with tight with his man. Has a good positional sense in his own end, likes to use his long reach to poke the puck away from the puck carrier, also clogs passing lanes well, and picks proper angles to block a shot. Appeared to be much more physical this year after the first two games, but on the third night he may have suffered from fatigue and was not as aggressive. Looks to have added some bulk, appears more aggressive this year, will jump up for an open ice hit, and neutralizes his man one on one along the boards. Even fought in a game and handled himself quite well. Definitely on the right track. "
Wow!! I did not know he was this well rounded as a player... thought he'd be a solid 3-4 guy but if he keeps progressing in a few years we may have a 1-2 D-man on our hands...which we need badly

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:29 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
when it comes to prospects it is all subjective. Some people believe that HF needs to correct how they decide on prospects marks and how they rate them

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote