HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2007, 12:16 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

vCash: 500
Well, if playoff hopes don't motivate players enough when these two meet again, these comments will certainly be bulletin board material.

Old
03-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
It's almost like Nolan is saying if Hollweg had gotten up right up after taking Simon's stick to his face then Simon wouldn't be facing a lengthy ban
Actually, that's not what he said or meant at all.

Yes, he criticized Ryan Hollweg. No, he did not condone nor defend Chris Simon. He did not oppose a suspension for Simon, nor excuse the swing.

Nolan is no angel here, but don't make it out to be more than it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
To be an Islander fan right now is to be embarrassed.....you would hope, but nah, probably not
Why would an Islander fan be embarrassed? Last time I checked, this team was exceeding all expectations and is currently in a playoff spot.

Upset at Chris Simon? Absolutely. You won't get a defense out of me or any sane Islander fan.

Embarrassed? Not at all.

Old
03-11-2007, 12:24 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
Yes, he criticized Ryan Hollweg. No, he did not condone nor defend Chris Simon. He did not oppose a suspension for Simon, nor excuse the swing.

Nolan is no angel here, but don't make it out to be more than it is.
The ********* lost all respect when he criticized the guy who got hit in the face by his team's player.

All respect is lost for that.

It's simply a petty, disgusting mark. Something that a coach shouldn't be uttering to the media. Especially of a heart and soul kind of player such as Hollweg is.

Simply pathetic.

Old
03-11-2007, 12:27 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Avery is not a head coach.
Exactly. These comments are inexcusable for a head coach to be talking about in the media. Simply classless and disgusting. He should keep his ugly mouth shut as he's just making himself look like an idiot with these comments.

Maybe an errant puck will find it's way to his jaw next game

Old
03-11-2007, 12:30 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Come on guys... you can't blame the whole organization for a dumb move by guy that's prone to fly off the handle. And Nolan (although he is a dork) made some very ambiguous comments - that's to say it isn't all that clear who/what he's referring to. No one blamed Hollweg and no one used a concussion as an excuse, and if they did, the argument would hold no water - Simon dove head first into the class.

Being a short-tempered, impulsive person, I can sort of empathize with him (though it is totally unacceptable). He's kind of like the drunk driver that everyone hates, but he's not a bad person or a classless player. His stick and his mouth have gotten him in trouble before. He's punished, let's just drop it.

Old
03-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
The ********* lost all respect when he criticized the guy who got hit in the face by his team's player.

All respect is lost for that.

It's simply a petty, disgusting mark. Something that a coach shouldn't be uttering to the media. Especially of a heart and soul kind of player such as Hollweg is.

Simply pathetic.
Well, we all know what a class act Nolan is. I mean he was in exile for what ten years and for good reason...So no big surprise that such trash would come out of his mouth. Whatever, lets move on and let them show themselves for who they are.

The Isles are doing their part to make hockey look like a class act today. Good job boys.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:03 AM
BJo

Quote:
Well, we all know what a class act Nolan is. I mean he was in exile for what ten years and for good reason...So no big surprise that such trash would come out of his mouth. Whatever, lets move on and let them show themselves for who they are.

The Isles are doing their part to make hockey look like a class act today. Good job boys.
You need to relax a little bit dude. You're taking shots at isles fans for no good reason. Because Nolan made a comment you have the right to call us all bandwagon fans and say that we should be embarassed to be isles fans? If you don't like Nolan's comments fine. No one is telling you to like them. But your comments are just pointless. I'm pretty sure any isles fan that posts on here is a legit fan. This isn't ESPN.com. It's a site that is really only known by the hockey community. So the isles fans who are still around after all that they have been put through in the last decade are pretty legit fans. I don't get why you have this high and mighty attitude. Last time i looked the Rangers were not the Montreal Canadiens in terms of success and history and as of now they stand in the 9 spot in the east.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:46 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjoelson View Post
You need to relax a little bit dude. You're taking shots at isles fans for no good reason. Because Nolan made a comment you have the right to call us all bandwagon fans and say that we should be embarassed to be isles fans? If you don't like Nolan's comments fine. No one is telling you to like them. But your comments are just pointless. I'm pretty sure any isles fan that posts on here is a legit fan. This isn't ESPN.com. It's a site that is really only known by the hockey community. So the isles fans who are still around after all that they have been put through in the last decade are pretty legit fans. I don't get why you have this high and mighty attitude. Last time i looked the Rangers were not the Montreal Canadiens in terms of success and history and as of now they stand in the 9 spot in the east.
He's angry because he's seeing quotes like this :

Quote:
Did you see Nolan's quote in Newsday. He basically took a shot at Hallweg and indirectly called him a wuss and a baby. Very funny quote. I like the emotion from Nolan.
This is being thrown around by some Islander fans like yourself and is upset by it. Where does Pizza mention success anywhere? The Rangers, successful or not, have been known throughout the league as an organization that takes care of its players and holds programs and events throughout the community. Is the organization saintly and free of fault? Nope. But it is certainly well respected by those within the hockey community for its treatment of players and community.

Old
03-11-2007, 01:55 AM
BJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
He's angry because he's seeing quotes like this :

This is being thrown around by some Islander fans like yourself and is upset by it. Where does Pizza mention success anywhere? The Rangers, successful or not, have been known throughout the league as an organization that takes care of its players and holds programs and events throughout the community. Is the organization saintly and free of fault? Nope. But it is certainly well respected by those within the hockey community for its treatment of players and community.
Keep in mind that Ted Nolan has known Chris Simon since he was a kid. He turned Simon's life around. Simon was a troubled kid with alcohol problems and Nolan took him under his wing. They have a life long relationship. Were Nolan's comments innapropriate? Debatable. I don't think he said anything plainly offensive. He wants to support Simon and he felt that Hallweg was a milking the injury. There is nothing wrong with coaches calling it as they see it. it just adds more fire to the rivalry. I'm excited for the next game.

Old
03-11-2007, 06:47 AM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

This is just another reason for ranger fans to ***** and moan about the Isles. If it were turned the other way I am sure Isles fans would be saying the same thing, so it basically is useless to fight this battle because both sides are set in their own way.

Last edited by IslesFanatic: 03-11-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old
03-11-2007, 07:09 AM
eco's bones

To me Simon should be gone for the rest of the season and all of the playoffs--no hope for him at all to play again this year--and a warning about any more stick swinging incidents and he's banned forever. And that would be that. I don't see how you can give him more for an incident though when Hollweg wasn't hurt very badly. As for Nolan's comments citing Brashear as some kind of 'real action man hero' I find those kind of ridiculous. We've seen enough of Donald over the years to know that 1) I'd never want to see that clown on my team and 2) despite his punching prowess he's not a great respector of rules or codes. So Hollweg is not like Brashear? Well one is 6-3 and about 250 lbs. and the other is 5-10 and about 210. One is on his team pretty much just to fight and the other is on his team to hit and check. So much of this is posturing from the Islander front office with the hope of influencing Campbell's verdict and maybe some bitterness from them afterwards but to me his suspension is well deserved and should be that little bit worse (as I mentioned above). The suggestion that Simon's action was the aftermath of a concussion are ridiculous. He seemed very focused on what he was doing when he swung his stick.

Old
03-11-2007, 08:21 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

"Didn't whine and complain and lay there like he was dead"

So I guess the alternative is to lose control of yourself and put yourself on the list of one of the top 5 dirtiest hits in hockey.

It's a shame what happens when you were once one of the tougher "tough guys", then the realization of age sets in, then the desperate act follows.

03-11-2007, 08:50 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
This is just another reason for ranger fans to ***** and moan about the Isles. If it were turned the other way I am sure Isles fans would be saying the same thing, so it basically is useless to fight this battle because both sides are set in their own way.
What the hell are you talking about?

I guess this thread basically rules out all the classy Islander fans and fans like this... that have zero empathy and/or are in total denial of what happened. Too damn insecure to admit what happened was terrible. Can't stand people like you to be honest

Old
03-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Well either way this shows all the Isles fools who said he was milking it that they are wrong. Well at least according to their own head coach.

Old
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
natureboy*

what would you expect from that organization. its gone on for years with arbor, potvin, vukota, baumgartner, webb, goddard, cairns etc........... Other than ptvin these guys couldn't hold there stick and skate at the same time. Unfortuantely simon could do both of those things.

i mean remember what they did to poor jeff blomberg

Old
03-11-2007, 09:18 AM
gaglinefan

Simon

I am not an MD; revealed this on NYI board. The classic initial symptom of a consussion is loss of consciousness, you could look it up. Shanny had a concussion. Chris Simon may have trauma secondary to Holly's hard (but clean looking) hit and may suffer other symtoms that should be interpreted by a neurologist. If he plays it is not likely that is it. Just things to think about...
Go Rangers, Beat Canes!!
It's really disgusting that Nolan has been putting on this chirade about why he was blackballed from the NHL. It clearly wasn't because of his heritage as he claims, but because he is a complete d'bag. Send his ass back to the ****ing buffalo range.
Thanks, oh yeah I forgot to add this.

Last edited by gaglinefan: 03-11-2007 at 09:20 AM. Reason: revise post
Old
03-11-2007, 09:32 AM
UAGoalieGuy

Simon is suspended for the rest of the season AND all of the playoffs, as per TSN (Can be discussed in the other Simon thread I guess).

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=199699&hubname=nhl

Old
03-11-2007, 09:46 AM
rpk113

Has anyone realized that Simon still hasn't apologized to Hollweg? If he is so sorry, he would man up and apologize to the person that took one in the chin... literally...

Old
03-11-2007, 10:12 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:

Pizza.....relax man, what did you expect Nolan to do....trash a good friend he's known for over 20 years ? You don't have to like what he said, but he has to walk a fine line here as a friend and coach. I don't think I'd be too eager to bury a friend who made a mistake like this either, right or wrong, you never sell a good friend out!

As to the point about Nolans ban from the league, you're way out of line! He is not the first, and won't be the last person, to make a mistake, and the blackballing was total BS. Muckler sold him out, and that to me is more unforgiveable, we're all human man, and I am sure there are alot of people who have done things they regret. Thankfully , he has been given another chance, and proven, he's one hell of a coach. I would have loved to see him as Ranger coach, but Slats gave the reigns to Renney.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
Has anyone realized that Simon still hasn't apologized to Hollweg? If he is so sorry, he would man up and apologize to the person that took one in the chin... literally...
He stated in his apology he hopes to reach out to Hollweg in the near future. And I bet if you ask to a man, other than Avery, while the Rangers are pissed at what he did, they don't think he's a malicious or bad guy.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Potvins Cups

Waaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaa Waaa. Get over it. Simon was wrong. He's suspended. It's over. This is hockey, not figure skating. Things happen in the heat of the battle, whether they are justified or not. The guy made a mistake. He's going to pay for it. Move on.

As for Nolan's comments, I don't see how he is BLAMING Hollweg for the assault. It may be a little jab, but in no way is justifying what happened. When Avery runs his mouth some of you guys seem to enjoy it. Even starting threads quoting his comments. We laugh it off because the guy's a tool.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:29 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

The fact that the Islanders are justifying in any way Simon's actions is a total disgrace.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:30 AM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesfan303 View Post
Waaaaaaaaa Waaaaaaaaa Waaa. Get over it. Simon was wrong. He's suspended. It's over. This is hockey, not figure skating. Things happen in the heat of the battle, whether they are justified or not. The guy made a mistake. He's going to pay for it. Move on.

As for Nolan's comments, I don't see how he is BLAMING Hollweg for the assault. It may be a little jab, but in no way is justifying what happened. When Avery runs his mouth some of you guys seem to enjoy it. Even starting threads quoting his comments. We laugh it off because the guy's a tool.

Take it with a grain of salt.
That was totally unnecessary Islesfan. Posts like that do nothing but provoke more negativity.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Garv23

Is it odd for me, being a rabid Ranger fan, to really not give a **** about this? It's done. Simon got the penalty he deserved. As much as teams hate Hollweg (I'd hate him too) he's a stand up guy and a great teammate. He'll accept Simon's apology without question and move on. Hell, they may even go get a few lap dances together.

If anything, this is just going to make the rivalry more intense.

Old
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Tom Liodice

Send a message via AIM to Tom Liodice
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk113 View Post
One of the first lines in Chris's statement as stated here: http://newyorkislanders.com/pressbox...ve.asp?id=1486

Quote:
I want to apologize to Ryan Hollweg. I was grateful to learn that Ryan is okay and that he returned to the game. My hope is to reach out to him in the near future.
I think he just did and plans to reach out to Hollwegg in the future...

Closed Thread