HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
  #51
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
You must be joking.

Wow, and I thought Nolan had class. I guess I was wrong. Utter disgrace. I have nothing more to say on this, I think the Islander Brass has made itself look bad enough.
As far as class goes with Nolan you would have to get the opinion of Mrs Hasek and some of the sabre players. They would certainly be in a better position to discussion the level of class Nolan has.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
  #52
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
As far as class goes with Nolan you would have to get the opinion of Mrs Hasek and some of the sabre players. They would certainly be in a better position to discussion the level of class Nolan has.
Atl....you should not be speaking about the alleged indiscretion. Unless you have documented proof its just hearsay.

bleedrngrblue is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:03 AM
  #53
goalmachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Islander Country
Country: United States
Posts: 1,092
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to goalmachine
There was nothing wrong with Ted Nolan's comments. What nobody has really been mentioning is what Nolan's comments were actually in response to. It was to Brashear sucker-punching Witt after the play in Saturday's game vs. Washington. He was 100% right in saying this warranted more than a 2-minute minor. As far as the little shot at Hollweg, it really isn't a big deal. He didn't blame Hollweg for what happened on Thursday night, so the title of this thread is very misleading. All in all, Ted Nolan is a class act and a great coach.

goalmachine is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:04 AM
  #54
Larry Melnyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Gloomsville, USA
Posts: 4,376
vCash: 500
The cowardly and life-threatening actions of Simon and the assinine attitude/comments by mental midgets like Ted Nolan and Brendan Witt, as well as the support they are getting by more then a few biased and clueless Islander fans, is just another example why the NHL is a joke and why the sport will continue to get marginalized in the US (as it should) where it is even less popular then tiddlywinks, lawn jarts, and team hopscotch....Who in their right mind would take these jokers seriosly?

As for scvmbag Simon, there was not one ounce of confusion or in his eyes after the hit...He got upo, had the presence of mind to look for the ref, SEARCHED and targetted Hollweg, and took perfect aim at his neck, swung with agility and even had a pefect follow thru! And then skated over to the carcass and wanted more......ANd one look at his eyes before the swing and there was no confusion, there was pure purpose, reage and intent to injure...Anything else smacks of pure Islander homerism, hate for Hollwer or deluded/ignorant self interest (Nolan/Witt)

Larry Melnyk is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:05 AM
  #55
smoneil
Registered User
 
smoneil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 2,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Liodice View Post
One of the first lines in Chris's statement as stated here: http://newyorkislanders.com/pressbox...ve.asp?id=1486



I think he just did and plans to reach out to Hollwegg in the future...
So when you got in trouble and were told to apologize to your brother, your folks would consider it done if you said, "I want to apologize to my brother. I'm glad he's okay. I'll try to reach out to him sometime later." That would be considered an apology?

This is NOT hockey. You DON'T expect this kind of thing to happen.

In the first 12-24 hours after the hit, I gained a ton of respect for Isles fans. They recognized the hit for what it was and were calling for Simon to be dropped from the team. For some reason, after that time period, they all went nuts and there are many of them running all over the boards blaming the victim and flipping out over the punishment. Poor form.

That said, Long Island has some REALLY REALLY good Chinese food places. So it's not all bad.

smoneil is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:06 AM
  #56
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
The professional thing to have done was not make anymore comments on it from the Islander side. The act was defensible and therefore anything you say comes off as not taking responsibility, for the player, team management, the organization and their fans.

Their fans come off worst trying to defend the actions. Fact is that they lost 2 games that mattered down the home stretch to their hated rival.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:10 AM
  #57
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Atl....you should not be speaking about the alleged indiscretion. Unless you have documented proof its just hearsay.
You're right, Nolan didn't get an NHL gig because he didn't do anything wrong. Where have we heard this before? That's right, just the other day. Same tune, different lyrics.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:11 AM
  #58
gionta316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Look at this quote by Ted Nolan

Brendan Witt got sucker punched by Donald Brashear



http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...orts-headlines

Tonight on Satellite Hotstove,Pierre LeBrun of the CP said the Islanders are blaming Hollweg for the entire incident.Somehow Chris Simon was concussed on Hollweg's check and that Simon wasn't aware of what he was doing when he attempted to rip Hollweg's head off.Simon seemed to be fine enough to answer the media's questions right after the game

Really what should you expect from a guy like Nolan who for some reason couldn't land another job in the NHL for nearly 10 years when other coaches were getting second and third chances and from Garth Snow who made a mockery of the NHL with his over sized shoulder pads.They looked like shingles



Snow is on the left

Very classy comments by Nolan
First off, Simon was 100% wrong period - I don't care about any concussion or Hollweg's past history. That being said Rangerboy, your post above is nothing less than a complete (and I suspect intentional) misrepresentation of what was said on Hotstove. Of course, if you get your jollies from taking fabricated cheap shots at the Isles organization so be it. However, in the future you may want to reconsider posting a link that exposes your post for the garbage it is. And you have the nerve to sarcastically call Nolan's comments classy? Pot, I'd like to introduce you to kettle.

gionta316 is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:14 AM
  #59
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
Is it odd for me, being a rabid Ranger fan, to really not give a **** about this? It's done. Simon got the penalty he deserved. As much as teams hate Hollweg (I'd hate him too) he's a stand up guy and a great teammate. He'll accept Simon's apology without question and move on. Hell, they may even go get a few lap dances together.

If anything, this is just going to make the rivalry more intense.
I'm an isle fan having a tough time getting worked up over this.

Simon lost his temper,his composure and is being punished for it.He immediately expressed remorse.No one in the isles organization is saying it was a right move or a smart move.

Simon's been a good guy in the lockerroom this season and I'm not surprised to read his coaches,the front office and his teammates are supportive of him during this mess.

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:17 AM
  #60
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
I'm an isle fan having a tough time getting worked up over this.

Simon lost his temper,his composure and is being punished for it.He immediately expressed remorse.No one in the isles organization is saying it was a right move or a smart move.

Simon's been a good guy in the lockerroom this season and I'm not surprised to read his coaches,the front office and his teammates are supportive of him during this mess.
Good, then say it was the wrong thing, say you support him, but leave out the innuendo and like comments that the victim was at some level responsible. Do that and there is no discussion.

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:19 AM
  #61
Its a PP Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 320
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Nolan should see how it feels to take a baseball swing to the face by a hockey stick and see if he gets up in 2 minutes. Hell if that was me..i'd be down for the count.
Agreed. He's implying the incident wasn't as bad as it looked and Hollweg made it look worse than it was. He took a shot to the chin, he's lucky he wasn't knocked out for a long time.

Its a PP Goal is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:33 AM
  #62
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goalmachine View Post
the title of this thread is very misleading.
It's not misleading, it is completely false.

What Garth Snow's shoulder pads have anything to do with Chris Simon hitting Hollweg is beyond me.

This thread was created for the sole purpose of making people angry.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:36 AM
  #63
BJo
Registered User
 
BJo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
I really think this is being blown way out of proportion. Because of this quote you Ranger fans decide to insult Isles fans. Isles fans didn't do anything in this situation, so lay off and worry about yourself. Secondly, if you knew anything about Ted Nolan you'd know he's a class act and a great guy. Everyone, i mean everyone loves him. Players came here to play for Nolan. Yea Hasek hates him for reasons which aren't relevant to this issue. He's well respected around the NHL and known to be a great person in the community. Just relax and worry about todays game v. carolina.

BJo is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
  #64
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
It's not misleading, it is completely false.

What Garth Snow's shoulder pads have anything to do with Chris Simon hitting Hollweg is beyond me.

This thread was created for the sole purpose of making people angry.
Exactly. And the funny thing is, it worked.

This should be a non-issue.

Nowhere did anyone place blame on Ryan Hollweg. Everywhere I go, paper, internet, the organization has blamed Chris Simon. He himself said that a concussion does not excuse his actions. What more do you want?

Isles4ever11 is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
  #65
CREW99AW
Registered User
 
CREW99AW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 28,827
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Good, then say it was the wrong thing, say you support him, but leave out the innuendo and like comments that the victim was at some level responsible. Do that and there is no discussion.
How many times doe Nolan have to say it was a bad move?Is there a certain number of times?

He and the isles haven't said Simon shouldn't be punished.The fact is that Simon has not been an on ice problem or a lockerroom problem for the team.If this was one of a string of troubling incidents involving Simon while he played for the Isles,then I would expect the isles stance to be different.But since Simon's been a good guy on and off the ice,the isles are looking at this as a situation where Simon snapped and they are being supportive.

Simon's ex-coach in Chicago,Savard, has also piped in,saying pretty much what Nolan did about Simon having to pay a price for his actions,but that Simon was a good teammate,a good guy to have on the club.I guess Savard lacks class too,being so supportive?


march 10th edition on the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/10/sp...=1&oref=slogin
In Ottawa, Simon drank heavily, got into bar fights and developed a reputation as a lazy, out-of-shape player. He was traded to the junior team in Sault Ste. Marie in 1991 and found a savior in Ted Nolan, also a member of the Ojibwa tribe. Nolan went to work helping Simon, who eventually quit drinking.

Nolan, now the Islanders’ coach, called Simon’s success one of the best accomplishments of his coaching career.

“He has matured into a great man, a real positive person,” Nolan told reporters recently. “From an 18-year-old kid who had some problems and gone through some adversity, the transition in him has just been incredible.”

After he signed with the Islanders in July, reuniting with Nolan, Simon said: “I was messed up. When I played for Ted, he gave me a curfew. I had to call him at 9 wherever I was. Years later, I realized he was always there to take that call. It’s a dream come true to play for him again.”

After Thursday’s incident, Nolan did not specifically address his relationship with Simon.

“Any time you see things that are not part of the game, you’re disappointed, no matter who it is,” Nolan said.


http://www.nypost.com/seven/03102007...ich_calder.htm
Islanders general manager Garth Snow yesterday declined comment, but team defenseman Brendan Witt said "it's not easy to see a teammate lose his cool."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...,2192895.story
"Obviously, it was a tough situation," Blake said of the day's events. "He's great in the locker room, and whatever happens, he's a professional and will deal with it and we're behind him ... It wasn't one of our best games. If it wasn't for Ricky, I don't know what would be going on."

CREW99AW is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 11:54 AM
  #66
jarhead
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 187
vCash: 500
Retracted my comment... no need to stir the top further.


Last edited by jarhead: 03-11-2007 at 12:03 PM.
jarhead is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
  #67
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
A) This will be taken way out of context. Yes, it was a shot at Hollweg. But he did not BLAME Hollweg for the incident.

B) The point of poknig fun at Garth Snow is....

C) The Islanders are not blaming HOllweg for anything. Simon wrote a whole apology on the Isles site, PR are not, blamed himself completely for the incident.

This thread is ridiculous.
How is this thread ridiculous? Ted Nolan should be responsible for HIS ridiculous comments. As an organization or fans of an organization, you have no choice but to deal with perfectly logical threads such as these.

Just because you're upset doesn't mean we can't talk about it. It's only fair we highlight your team's ********.

Garth Snow pictures aside...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok101 View Post
The Rangers organization would say and do no different if they were in the Islanders position. Neither would any other organization. Sorry.
I beg to differ on both accounts. Wishful thinking on your part.

BigE is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
  #68
Sky Valley
Registered User
 
Sky Valley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Athens, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,901
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Sky Valley
Even if the title and first post of the thread are misleading (or wrong), it's still a pretty uncalled for, stupid, and classless comment by Nolan.

It's not like when somebody like Avery runs his mouth because he has to back it up on the ice.

If Renney had said something like, "Wow, Simon must've been back on the sauce when he decided to do that", well, that wouldn't have been very nice. Nolan shouldn't have said anything.

Sky Valley is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
  #69
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
How is this thread ridiculous? Ted Nolan should be responsible for HIS ridiculous comments. As an organization or fans of an organization, you have no choice but to deal with perfectly logical threads such as these.

Just because you're upset doesn't mean we can't talk about it. It's only fair we highlight your team's ********.

Garth Snow pictures aside...
This thread his nothing to do with anything, it's just a unnecessary shot at the Islanders. Did you watch the link? It didn't say anything the original poster claimed. Not only did the Islanders not blame Hollweg, they BLAMED Simon.

As far as Nolan's comments go, I think it's good for a coach to have an edge. He never defended Simon at all.

If you can highlight our "*******s" - and I use that term loosely - I don't want anyone coming to our board and defending Avery, Hollweg, Orr etc.

But that's not a fair comment, because it will be done by both fanbases. If you don't expect Islander fans to come in and defend our organization with these ridiculous claims, you're crazy.

Isles4ever11 is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:20 PM
  #70
Le Golie
...
 
Le Golie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,756
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
How is this thread ridiculous? Ted Nolan should be responsible for HIS ridiculous comments. As an organization or fans of an organization, you have no choice but to deal with perfectly logical threads such as these.
Fine, then start a thread titled 'Nolan is a ***** for claiming Hollweg embellished' . At least an argument can be made that he was eluding to the Simon incident through his comments about a completely separate incident.

However, Nolan's comments in no way, shape or form blame Hollweg.

The thread title is: 'Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault'

And that is a complete fabrication by Rangerboy.

Le Golie is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
  #71
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedrngrblue View Post
Atl....you should not be speaking about the alleged indiscretion. Unless you have documented proof its just hearsay.
Proof? How about Nolan being blackballed out of the NHL for 10 years despite being a Jack Adams winner? On top of that, the only organization to hire him is led by a lunatic owner that wants to run the show and hire/fire people every 40 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
This thread his nothing to do with anything, it's just a unnecessary shot at the Islanders. Did you watch the link? It didn't say anything the original poster claimed. Not only did the Islanders not blame Hollweg, they BLAMED Simon.

As far as Nolan's comments go, I think it's good for a coach to have an edge. He never defended Simon at all.

If you can highlight our "*******s" - and I use that term loosely - I don't want anyone coming to our board and defending Avery, Hollweg, Orr etc.

But that's not a fair comment, because it will be done by both fanbases. If you don't expect Islander fans to come in and defend our organization with these ridiculous claims, you're crazy.
I wouldn't try to stop you from defending Simon or Nolan; that's not what this is about. In order to defend you must have support; of which you've provided absolutely none. The only thing you've said is that some of the original poster's content was unrelated, and that this thread is ridiculous.

Why are the claims ridiculous? Claims that Nolan and the Islanders are classless? History provides numerous pieces of evidence in contradiction to your claim.

Don't come over here and just whine; then try and turn it around on us saying you don't want us coming over and doing the same thing you're doing.

BigE is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:25 PM
  #72
bleedrngrblue
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Fayetteville,N.C.
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
You're right, Nolan didn't get an NHL gig because he didn't do anything wrong. Where have we heard this before? That's right, just the other day. Same tune, different lyrics.
Are you privy to some inside information? If you're just speculating like alot of people then you need to stop insinuating. I can tell you beyond the shadow of a doubt, that John Muckler yields ALOT of influence and power in the NHL. I can also tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt, that he's an ornery old school hockey man who is very uncompromising in his ways, and feels even if he's wrong he's right cause he's earned it!

bleedrngrblue is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:30 PM
  #73
BigE
Registered User
 
BigE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Fine, then start a thread titled 'Nolan is a ***** for claiming Hollweg embellished' . At least an argument can be made that he was eluding to the Simon incident through his comments about a completely separate incident.

However, Nolan's comments in no way, shape or form blame Hollweg.

The thread title is: 'Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault'

And that is a complete fabrication by Rangerboy.
Yes, the title is a fabrication, but the content of this thread is very much on point aside from some of Rangerboy's ******** at the top.

The point remains that we have a right to call the Islanders on their garbage. It's quite hypocritical, in my opinion, to be so outraged by an admittedly ridiculous title, while not being outraged by ridiculous comments made by a head coach.

The comments themselves weren't necessarily excuses by the word of the book, but he's trying to discredit the victim and create sympathy for the attacker. It's all to common in the criminal courts, and by definition a means of defense.

BigE is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:30 PM
  #74
dok101
Registered User
 
dok101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Proof? How about Nolan being blackballed out of the NHL for 10 years despite being a Jack Adams winner? On top of that, the only organization to hire him is led by a lunatic owner that wants to run the show and hire/fire people every 40 days.



I wouldn't try to stop you from defending Simon or Nolan; that's not what this is about. In order to defend you must have support; of which you've provided absolutely none. The only thing you've said is that some of the original poster's content was unrelated, and that this thread is ridiculous.

Why are the claims ridiculous? Claims that Nolan and the Islanders are classless? History provides numerous pieces of evidence in contradiction to your claim.

Don't come over here and just whine; then try and turn it around on us saying you don't want us coming over and doing the same thing you're doing.
Really????? Provide support for your "numerous pieces of evidence", Sherlock.

dok101 is offline  
Old
03-11-2007, 12:35 PM
  #75
Isles4ever11
Registered User
 
Isles4ever11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Ghana
Posts: 10,952
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Don't come over here and just whine; then try and turn it around on us saying you don't want us coming over and doing the same thing you're doing.
How exactly am I whining? By saying what's on my mind?

I like how you point out one part of any of my posts here and say that I'm turning it around. It works both ways, bud.

If you have a right to call out our so-called *******s, we have that same right. That's all I'm saying.

Isles4ever11 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.