HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I was wrong

Old
03-10-2007, 09:38 PM
BaseballCoach

vCash: 500
I was wrong

Before the game, I was one of many who thought that the coach is some kind of idiot to put together Lapierre, Begin and Kovalev.

Shows what I know.

They were the best line out there tonight.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:46 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
The end does not justify the means. The lines were still terrible tonight.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:12 PM
GSK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Couldn't say something better.

End of thread.

Yes they played well together but the line was terrible. In fact, Latendresse was there with Lapierre and Kovalev on a several shifts.

I just hope Kostitsyn would be back in the lineup. When I heard Pednault said that Andrei can't made a spot for himself, I just want to hunt him down.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Before the game, I was one of many who thought that the coach is some kind of idiot to put together Lapierre, Begin and Kovalev.

Shows what I know.

They were the best line out there tonight.
Maybe Carbo know much about hockey than us...

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:18 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_miss_Sundstrom View Post
Maybe Carbo know much about hockey than us...
You should be banned just for your nickname, but your avatar is awesome, so you can stay.

03-10-2007, 10:22 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Well I will always say the best players need the ice time Kovlaev played over 19:30 tonight which is my magic number for production and he influenced three goals. It ended up good that Johnson got hurt because Kovalev could be double shifted and when that happens he gets more involved in the game.

JMMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Vlad The Impaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports1131 View Post
Lines are always terrible when a team is in a funk. They're not permanent lines. They're "get out of the craphole lines".

Kovalev is lethargic and Carbo gambled that some energy, grit and hunger on his line would do the trick. In an ideal world, a great playmaking center could get Kovalev going but that isn't the case right now.

Tonight, Carbo's gamble worked out.

Vlad The Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:26 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Lines are always terrible when a team is in a funk. They're not permanent lines. They're "get out of the craphole lines".

Kovalev is lethargic and Carbo gambled that some energy, grit and hunger on his line would do the trick. In an ideal world, a great playmaking center could get Kovalev going but that isn't the case right now.

Exactly. Carbo had to try something and it worked. Good job Carbo ! We are still in the playoffs race.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 10:33 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

The argument that this line mix was positive is certainly helped by the fact the Canadiens won. I'm certainly not paid to make these difficult decisions and a win's a win.

Among the things that worry me are the following:

1) This reckless line juggling might affect morale in the long run.

2) It helped wake up Maxim Lapierre. Where were Koivu, Ryder and Higgins ?

3) These are professional NHL players, you can field any line mix, odds are you'll win some games. Is it the optimal mix when you're fighting a tight playoff race? Did their performance tonight inspire confidence for the rest of the season?

4) Aren't these "bold" decisions better judged after the regular season?

5) Regarding the healthy scratch of Kost, 4 forwards only had more points than him in the games he's played since his latest call-up. He certainly didn't look like the worst player out there. And it doesn't bode well for the future when 5 of your top prospects are russian speakers when there's an appearance of favoritism like this (whether there is in fact favoritism or not). And Kost get's to hang out in the stands with Sergei "Go Habs, Go" Samsonov...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:48 PM
CHice

Send a message via MSN to CHice
there is a gamethread

CHice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
wedge

I've not seen Koivu all game besides his penalty...

The quebecers played great.. seems like they almost were the only ones really caring about this game after the 1st period.

the victory is not a good one IMO.. Carbo should still be angry after his player as they stopped playing after the third goal.

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:07 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Maybe putting two good hard-working guys are perfect to play with lazy Kovy. He doesn't need to do much but thinking about putting the damn puck in the freakin net!

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Khabby

Uhh.. guys.. we blew a 3-0 lead against St. Louis, how can we say that Carbonneau did anything right? We fluked out a last-minute lead against a bottom-feeder, oh great.

Khabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post

Historically hasn't Kovalev done better with guys who like to work down low ? We picture him as needing a pure playmaker like Weight/Savard, as we imagine nice plays in open ice, but I wonder if this isn't the best formula for getting the most out of the guy ? It doesn't have to be Lapierre,you'd like a player who reads the play a bit better,but maybe we misread who Kovalev would click with, assuming he wants to 'click'.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
BLONG7

Kovy may score more goals if these two guys can open up some ice for him??? I still think he should be with Koivu, but that's just me...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethirakith View Post
Uhh.. guys.. we blew a 3-0 lead against St. Louis, how can we say that Carbonneau did anything right? We fluked out a last-minute lead against a bottom-feeder, oh great.
To be correct, you should check how both teams have played in the past 2 months and a half. St.Louis is one of the best team in the NHL over the past two months while the Habs is one of the worst, if not the worst.

Carbonneau isn't the guy playing on the ice: the team lost the 3-0 lead, so did Ottawa yesterday against Toronto. I don't understand why the coach is the one responsible for everything the team does. If I talk about the success of Julien, Vigneault and Therrien, you guys tell me it is not because they are good but because they can rely on good players... but when it comes to the Habs, Carbonneau is the problem.

Stand right for what are your beliefs, but don't change them depending on how you like or not a guy.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Astaroth

Hmmm, like I said you throw enough **** at the wall, it'll eventually stick.

But sometimes that's all you got left, mind you the situation was arguably his fault to begin with (****ing up the team chemistry and destroying our confidence) but this time it worked out... After playing for .300 for a couple of months. So good for him the gamble worked but you'll have to excuse me if I don't sing his laurels.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote