HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Dave Lewis

Old
03-09-2007, 12:01 PM
hackNslash

vCash: 500
Dave Lewis

Hey guys Bruins Fan here(pritty hard to be sometimes)but since Dave Lewis was with you guys before i just wanted to know how you feel about him as a head coach,i personally feel like he's one of the worst i have seen,with all of his stupid line up changes and playing certain players (that dont deserve the ice time)way too much,i was just wondering if he use to mess around like this in Detroit.You guys are lucky you dont have him anymore

hackNslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Angels for Everyone

he didn't really, but that was because he took over Scotty's team and kept it the same.

the wings suffered badly from a lack of disipline as he was everyones best friend and they never worked, just got by on their skill...hence the playoff exits...

the fact that he gives Mark Mowers ice time over at the garden tells me everything i need to know about him

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Mayor Mike

vCash:
He reminded everyone of a certain historical figure.

Old
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Higgy4

Lewis was a "players" coach as an assistant coach. Whenever Scotty would piss a player off they would run to Lewis to vent and Lewis would give him a supportive pat on the back.

He took over those same players and had trouble being "the man". He didnt tinker with line changes often because he took over a Stanley Cup champion team. Why fix it?

I think he was just too much of a nice guy here. I dont know what his problem is in Boston.

Higgy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 02:40 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsfreak72 View Post
Hey guys Bruins Fan here(pritty hard to be sometimes)but since Dave Lewis was with you guys before i just wanted to know how you feel about him as a head coach,i personally feel like he's one of the worst i have seen,with all of his stupid line up changes and playing certain players (that dont deserve the ice time)way too much,i was just wondering if he use to mess around like this in Detroit.You guys are lucky you dont have him anymore
Ironically, the problem with Lewis in Detroit was that he didn't make changes. He inherited a team that won the 2002 Cup and must have figured if it ain't broke... The result was stale lines and a stagnant offense that relied on one or two people to carry the team.

I think under the right circumstances Lewis could be an OK coach, but I'm not sure that young, sort of rebuilding, program in Boston is a good fit.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Battaglia
Hail Tim Thomas.

I was gonna ask this same question of Red Wings fans. Im also a miserable Bruins fan and this guy is making me more miserable by the minute. Im sick of good guy coaches, I want someone who has passion and energy because you need that in a game like hockey. Im sick of hearing Lewis's "ho hum we tried" comments after every embarrasing loss.

Battaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
hackNslash

Funny he didnt change any lines there but as soon as he comes to boston it takes him no time at all to tear apart our top line from last year and inserts a career third liner on the top line and expects him to produce.Now 1/3 of that top line from a year ago is gone and I think Lewis was the biggest reason it happened.

hackNslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Angels for Everyone

well the wings went from Lewis to Babcock..

i can only imagine what the players reaction was after that 1st skate after 2 years with Mr Fluffy as Coach

Angels for Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I'm not sure how much of the B's problems can be placed on the coach's shoulders though. They've shuffled through personnel in a seemingly haphazard fashion, and this is the first year under a new regime on the coach/GM front. These things do take time. Seriously- look at all the faces that have come in and out of there the last couple of years.

That said, I always felt that Lewis was a decent coach for regular conditions. He was out-coached in the playoffs because he tended to focus too much on how to neutralize the other team's strengths, altering the Wings game to such an extent that they were no longer taking advantage of their strengths.

Old
03-09-2007, 04:50 PM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battaglia View Post
I was gonna ask this same question of Red Wings fans. Im also a miserable Bruins fan and this guy is making me more miserable by the minute. Im sick of good guy coaches, I want someone who has passion and energy because you need that in a game like hockey. Im sick of hearing Lewis's "ho hum we tried" comments after every embarrasing loss.
You need Mike Babcock and no we are not giving him up
Like the other posters already mentioned, Lewis was a "player" coach, Babcock isn't. The Red Wings players know that and playing a lot harder now!

TOPGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 08:04 PM
stu the grim reaper

lewie would be a great youth hockey coach
or olympic womens hockey. not to slight womens hockey.
just any place where blood and money werent on the line

stu the grim reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:16 PM
cmccallum

seems to be picking up all detroits left over's macdonald , mowers.... and leaching off what he knows in detroit. horrible coach when we had em' too much talent too handle... glad to see he's defected ( oppsss ) i mean moved on...

cmccallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2007, 10:59 PM
NewBostonFan

This is so funny. Bash Lewis and praise Babcock despite the fact that Babcock failed in the playoffs the same way Lewis did. LOL. Lewis is a good coach. It is hard to follow a ledgend like Bowman. Now he has a crap team in Boston and it's going to take a couple of years to get it back on track. I hope he does it. He is a good guy.

If the Wings choke again in the early rounds, we'll let you have Babcock.

NewBostonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 12:13 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Lewis can be a good coach, but he needs the right group. He needs a "soft touch" team that's full of self-motivators. The Wings got soft after Scotty left, and Lewis didn't have the sack to reign them in. We may yet find out that Babs doesn't either - in fact nobody might have the sack to reign this team in, and most of the "old guard" may have to go before we see a Wings team that actually outworks someone in the playoffs. Whether they're just fat and happy or they're just old, the haven't had any kind of spark in the playoffs since 02. Coaching can only do so much.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Hey guys Bruins Fan here(pritty hard to be sometimes)but since Dave Lewis was with you guys before i just wanted to know how you feel about him as a head coach...
He's a solid head coach, but he just wasn't a good fit in Detroit. You guys need to give Lewis and Chiarelli some time. Being impatient hasn't worked too well for the B's in the past...

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2007, 11:01 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar Pharazon View Post
well the wings went from Lewis to Babcock..

i can only imagine what the players reaction was after that 1st skate after 2 years with Mr Fluffy as Coach
Well...so far...the results havent been much different.

Old
03-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonFan View Post
This is so funny. Bash Lewis and praise Babcock despite the fact that Babcock failed in the playoffs the same way Lewis did. LOL. Lewis is a good coach. It is hard to follow a ledgend like Bowman. Now he has a crap team in Boston and it's going to take a couple of years to get it back on track. I hope he does it. He is a good guy.

I dont see much BASHING. Most of us really like Dave Lewis. He just wasnt able to fill Scottys shoes. And who really could? It didnt work out, and I think if you asked pretty much anyone on this board, they wish him all the luck in the world in Boston.

And like I said in my previous post, Babcock isnt doing anything more than Lewis did either.

So...I dont agree that there is Lewis bashing going on in this thread. A Bruins fan wanted to know what kind of head coach he was here, and people are giving their opinions.

Old
03-10-2007, 03:57 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBostonFan View Post

The results were the same, but the problems were different. The two early playoff exits under Lewis were the product of a team that simply could not score goals. 4 game sweep by the Ducks in 2003 where the Wings scored something like 6 goals, and in 2004 Detroit squeaked by Nashville thanks to Lang - only to be stymied by Kipper and the Flames.

The series against the Flames last season was very close. The goal scoring problem had been corrected - even though the personnel was mostly the same that Lewis had. But Legace was terrible, with no confidence and no fight in him. And the team played poor defense in front of him.

In any event, Babcock at least won games his first attempt in the playoffs with Detroit. I'm anxious to see how he does this time around.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:02 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Lewis is the least of your problem.
Your main problem is your GM/owner, they are morons. They lost/gave away Thornton and Rolston,

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 01:25 PM
jay-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
Lewis is the least of your problem.
Your main problem is your GM/owner, they are morons. They lost/gave away Thornton and Rolston,
GM Mike O'Connell was canned last summer, but I think he was just carrying out the will of their owner, Jeremy Jacobs. Perhaps these articles can give some insight as to why he is the one to blame:

http://espn.go.com/nhl/s/thn/screenshots1.html

http://proicehockey.about.com/b/a/255940.htm

jay-P is offline   Reply With Quote