HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Potential Offseason Acquisitions

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-04-2014, 06:18 PM
  #76
tymed
Registered User
 
tymed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,107
vCash: 500
Moulson is the only name I really like on the board here for a scoring LW. He has a toolset made for being a perfect passenger scorers to great playmakers.

tymed is online now  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:06 PM
  #77
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
As talented as Yakupov may be I can't see the Flyers going down the road especially after how things went without Bryz here this year.

Much like Bryz Yakupov is quote machine who would get feasted on by the media here. I can't see the Flyers wanting that distraction again after a pretty quiet year on that front this year.
In fairness, Yakupov is also a 20 year old that has probably had very little media training in Edmonton. As well, I wouldn't say that the Edmonton locker room has a wealth of leadership to embrace Yakupov. Get him into a strong locker room like the Flyers and I think you'll see guys like Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Couturier, etc....embrace Yakupov and provide him with some leadership on how to deal with the media.

As for Bryzgalov, he was a 30 something that came here and became unhinged with regards to the media. I don't think anyone anticipated things going so bad. The Flyers were a tailor made situation for Bryzgalov - an elite goaltender who would be viewed as such in a big market and the pressure ate him alive. He was mentally weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
As for the Canucks poster who used Edler's suspension as an excuse of falling short of a goal, I find the fact that he's been suspended a few times in the the last few seasons as a red flag as well.
I feel for Edler. I really think the Canucks have no idea how to use him. He's got great size, there's offensive ability and there's a bit of a mean streak - a dangerous combo for any player because then coaches expect them to be something that they might not be capable of being and then you see said player end up trying to do too much. Edler needs out of Vancouver, but I don't think Philadelphia would be a good place for him. Move him to some place like Phoenix or Dallas and he probably shines.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
  #78
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
In fairness, Yakupov is also a 20 year old that has probably had very little media training in Edmonton. As well, I wouldn't say that the Edmonton locker room has a wealth of leadership to embrace Yakupov. Get him into a strong locker room like the Flyers and I think you'll see guys like Giroux, Voracek, Hartnell, Couturier, etc....embrace Yakupov and provide him with some leadership on how to deal with the media.

As for Bryzgalov, he was a 30 something that came here and became unhinged with regards to the media. I don't think anyone anticipated things going so bad. The Flyers were a tailor made situation for Bryzgalov - an elite goaltender who would be viewed as such in a big market and the pressure ate him alive. He was mentally weak.
Fair or not but when you combine that with the price it would cost to bring him here it becomes a good risk. I just don't see the Flyers taking the risk & I don't blame them.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:17 PM
  #79
Tedeward
Registered User
 
Tedeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Trade Vinny (Optional), Gross and Gus for a shutdown dman like Hjalmarsson or Sign one.
Sign Cammalleri
Sign Vrbata (Optional)
Sign Montoya

Cammalleri-Giroux-Voracek
Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds
Read-Couts-(Vrbata/Vinny)
Raffl-Laughton-Akeson/Rasmussen

Macdonald-Coburn
Streit-Schenn
(Shut-Down Dman)-Ghost

Mason
Montoya

Might be a stretch to have Vrbata on the 3rd line but I like him there. Vinny would be good too.

Tedeward is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:22 PM
  #80
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,687
vCash: 500
Hjalmarsson just had a career year, I doubt Chicago is looking to move him but if they do you're not going to get him for scraps.

They have a logjam at defense & could be looking to move someone but I think it will be one of Nick Leddy or Adam Clendening.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:23 PM
  #81
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I would love Kulemin... though it is quite impossible as he will be too expensive. (~2-2.5m)
I'd love Kulemin, as well, but I think that's a fair price for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
There are some good 3rd and 4th line players available in UFA who could likely be had quite cheap:

Moss
Winnik
Goc
Winchester
Moore
MacKenzie
Comeau
Malhotra
Fiddler

Though I imagine Winnik will be pretty expensive after this season, someone will give him 2mill.
Manny I'll never forget watching him play for Olimpija, and he probably became one of my favorite NHL players after that stint. I also like Goc, Moore and Winnik from that list.

Ryker is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:25 PM
  #82
Psuhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I would love Kulemin... though it is quite impossible as he will be too expensive. (~2-2.5m)
Kulemin and Grabovski are 2 guys that would be interesting additions. If the Flyers could move Lecavalier they could make it work as I suspect both will get less than you would think in ufa since they aren't big point producers. They are however great two way forwards and drive possession.

Build a strong two way and possession forward group and the flyers can work in the young defensemen without getting killed by their mistakes.

Psuhockey is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:30 PM
  #83
Tedeward
Registered User
 
Tedeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hjalmarsson just had a career year, I doubt Chicago is looking to move him but if they do you're not going to get him for scraps.

They have a logjam at defense & could be looking to move someone but I think it will be one of Nick Leddy or Adam Clendening.
I figured but hopefully we can get another shut down guy to play with Ghost.

Tedeward is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:33 PM
  #84
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 22,347
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissionCanucksFan View Post
So had Edler not been suspended and played his full 82 games, he would've surpassed Coburns ES numbers? Yes Edler had a bad year...so did the rest of the squad. Sedins had their worse production totals since they joined the league but I bet you would welcome them with open arms as you shuffle Vinny down the bench.

Now that we are getting our management/coaching re-vamped....Edler and Sedins will be back and kickin arse next year. Even though Edler only had 22 points, its still better or just as good as Coburns production the past 6 years.
No, he wouldn't have, because he only scored at a 13 point pace, three less than Coburn despite getting identical ES ice time. And his suspension was for three games, not 19. The rest he missed thru injury. Edler's shockingly bad season was a major reason the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Coburn doesn't play on the powerplay so comparing their overall points totals is meaningless. We already have Streit to run the top PP unit next season. I wouldn't sign Edler to his current contract if he was a free agent, let alone trade for him.

Curufinwe is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:36 PM
  #85
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
I figured but hopefully we can get another shut down guy to play with Ghost.
He actually rounded out his game somewhat this year, he set a career high with 26 points (all of them were at ES).

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 07:38 PM
  #86
Tedeward
Registered User
 
Tedeward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 292
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He actually rounded out his game somewhat this year, he set a career high with 26 points (all of them were at ES).
Damn. I didnt even notice. Maybe we should try to acquire him legit and not just with scrubs. Then again I like our core and dont wanna give that up. We could still find a good shut down guy via trade or free agency.

Tedeward is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 08:59 PM
  #87
Gert B Frobe
Registered User
 
Gert B Frobe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: SE PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,816
vCash: 500
The only way Lecavalier doesn't play for the Flyers is if he gets bought out or is a healthy scratch. No team would give you anything for him. He has negative value with that contract.

I guess a team would trade you an equally bad contract but that doesn't seem to happen much.

Gert B Frobe is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 09:09 PM
  #88
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedeward View Post
Damn. I didnt even notice. Maybe we should try to acquire him legit and not just with scrubs. Then again I like our core and dont wanna give that up. We could still find a good shut down guy via trade or free agency.
You weren't getting him for scrubs in the first place.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 09:24 PM
  #89
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,516
vCash: 500
Jussi Jokinen is a FA. Maybe the Flyers could win a couple of SOs with him on the squad.

And I'm one who would be interested in getting Edler. Edler - Coburn would be a definite improvement over Timonen - Coburn and he probably could be had for an affordable price.

BernieParent is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
  #90
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Jussi Jokinen is a FA. Maybe the Flyers could win a couple of SOs with him on the squad.

And I'm one who would be interested in getting Edler. Edler - Coburn would be a definite improvement over Timonen - Coburn and he probably could be had for an affordable price.
I don't think they'll sell low. They still have the twins and Kesler, I can't imagine he's moved with all of those guys still on the team.

The asking price from the fans is outrageously high.

Btw, Kimmo gets ragged on a lot but he was still the Flyers second best defender in terms of actually playing defense. I doubt Edler would be an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No, he wouldn't have, because he only scored at a 13 point pace, three less than Coburn despite getting identical ES ice time. And his suspension was for three games, not 19. The rest he missed thru injury. Edler's shockingly bad season was a major reason the Canucks missed the playoffs.

Coburn doesn't play on the powerplay so comparing their overall points totals is meaningless. We already have Streit to run the top PP unit next season. I wouldn't sign Edler to his current contract if he was a free agent, let alone trade for him.
Was gonna post this earlier but I was on my phone. Thanks cause that was driving me crazy.

FlyersFan61290 is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 11:46 PM
  #91
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,400
vCash: 500
I think no matter what we do unless our young players play better and bigger our roster won't be winning a cupor coming close. If schenn and couts turn into dominant puck possession players that put up great numbers than we have a contending team. This whole teams upper echelon success rests with those two players.

TheKingPin is offline  
Old
05-04-2014, 11:52 PM
  #92
Harold Bingo
what
 
Harold Bingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Kulemin and Grabovski are 2 guys that would be interesting additions. If the Flyers could move Lecavalier they could make it work as I suspect both will get less than you would think in ufa since they aren't big point producers. They are however great two way forwards and drive possession.

Build a strong two way and possession forward group and the flyers can work in the young defensemen without getting killed by their mistakes.
This is exactly what I was thinking. Through magic make Lecavalier and Grossmann disappear and pick up some cap space. Sign Grabovski and Kulemin. Sign a 4th liner (Malhotra).

Schenn - Giroux - Voracek
Hartnell - Couturier - Read
Kulemin - Grabovski - Simmonds
Malhotra - Laughton - Raffl

Voila.

It's possible, although very unlikely.

Harold Bingo is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 08:02 AM
  #93
Flyotes
Sorry Hinkie.
 
Flyotes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: SJ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,949
vCash: 500
Needs more Adam Hall. Faceoffs. Caphit.

Flyotes is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 08:10 AM
  #94
flyershockey
Registered User
 
flyershockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
I think no matter what we do unless our young players play better and bigger our roster won't be winning a cupor coming close. If schenn and couts turn into dominant puck possession players that put up great numbers than we have a contending team. This whole teams upper echelon success rests with those two players.
First, Schenn isn't turning into a puck possession player. It's just not his game, nor does it have to be for him to be successful.

Second, the success of the team doesn't depend on 2 or 3 players, at least it shouldn't. The best teams in the league (Boston, Chicago, L.A.) get contributions from 19 guys on pretty much a nightly basis. Schenn and Couturier could break out and both turn into 60+ point players next year, and this team could still be bad. You can't have glaring roster weaknesses in the NHL anymore and expect success.

flyershockey is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 08:22 AM
  #95
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,319
vCash: 500
They need to acquire speed, IQ, and puck skills.

Protest is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 08:39 AM
  #96
TheKingPin
Registered User
 
TheKingPin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,400
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
First, Schenn isn't turning into a puck possession player. It's just not his game, nor does it have to be for him to be successful.

Second, the success of the team doesn't depend on 2 or 3 players, at least it shouldn't. The best teams in the league (Boston, Chicago, L.A.) get contributions from 19 guys on pretty much a nightly basis. Schenn and Couturier could break out and both turn into 60+ point players next year, and this team could still be bad. You can't have glaring roster weaknesses in the NHL anymore and expect success.
By puck possession in that he has to be a good forechecker and cycler to be successful. He has to lead the line he is on to do that. Thats who I consider a puck possession guy. Whenever he has been successful he is playing tough.

And all of the teams that you pointed out have several players that standout. Thats very very obvious. It does not take a genius to say that a team with 19 players playing well is better than a team with 3 people. Its pretty obvious this team is built down the middle with more support wingers and D. Therefore you real do need couts and schenn to do well for our team to be a competitor. I actually thought this was pretty obvious? If couts and schenn are 60-70 pt players the puck possession time would be a lot different. We would have three lines, waves, coming all game long. Thats a little different than schenn ALWAYS stuck in his end and couts some what neutral.

TheKingPin is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 09:49 AM
  #97
RJ8812*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCWombBroom View Post
Needs more Adam Hall. Faceoffs. Caphit.
I see no reason not to bring him back at around $750k

RJ8812* is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 02:29 PM
  #98
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning
 
Blackhawkswincup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicagoland
Country: United States
Posts: 130,539
vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Hjalmarsson just had a career year, I doubt Chicago is looking to move him but if they do you're not going to get him for scraps.

They have a logjam at defense & could be looking to move someone but I think it will be one of Nick Leddy or Adam Clendening.
Yeah Hammer is part of Hawks core and was just signed at end of last summer to 5 yr extension

At this point I think Leddy may be odd man out if cap trade is made (Though Rozy or Versteeg could be moved as well)

With Clendening in shadows it makes a lot of sense to move Leddy if the Hawks feel Clendening is ready. Thought it is possible that Clendening ends up another prospect who eventually is traded because of logjam ahead of him

Clendening needs to improve his defensive game (Still a ways to go) but his offensive game is making it harder to not see him at NHL level soon. He was named to AHL 2nd Allstar team as rookie and AHL 1st Allstar team this past year. I don't put a ton into AHL accomplishments but when a guy does something like that his 1st 2 seasons as professional it does make one notice


Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 05-05-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Blackhawkswincup is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 02:50 PM
  #99
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: Isle of Man
Posts: 16,836
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Unless trades are being made, I don't see anyone significant coming in. There just isn't room (both in the lineup, and under the cap). We have six or eight defensemen depending on how things shake out with Timonen retiring (Coburn, Schenn, A-Mac, Grossmann, Streit, Timonen/Gus/possibly Ghost). We have 10-13 forwards depending on how things shake out with Hall and Raffl re-signing and Akeson or Laughton making the team (G, Vora, VL, Schenn, Coots, Simmer, Hartnell, Rinaldo, Raffl, Read, Akeson/Laughton/Hall). With all that, the cap isn't far off. Bringing in anyone of significance will require someone to be moved. The obvious ones are Kimmo retiring and Grossmann being traded on the blue line, and Schenn being dealt on the front end. Even with that, I'm not sure if people will be brought in or if guys will be brought up. Laughton appears ready. Ghost very well could be as well.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline  
Old
05-05-2014, 02:59 PM
  #100
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Eye Monster Invictus
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 62,440
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
They need to acquire speed, IQ, and puck skills.
So...we'll sign George Parros or Todd Bertuzzi.

__________________
Saturday night, I like to raise a little harm. I'll sleep when I'm dead.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.