HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shayne Gostisbehere 2014-2015

View Poll Results: When/Where do you want to see Ghost
Yes, right away 29 23.02%
No, 1 full year in the AHL 31 24.60%
AHL first, then NHL call up (if so how soon) 66 52.38%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-03-2014, 06:43 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
The answer is we should bring Ghost up when he is ready. There should be NO timetable for this guy.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Get him in there ASAP
If the young man is ready by all means get him in there. Bye Kimmo.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 12:37 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Things can change over the summer, but Ron Hextall was pretty adamant that he isn't ready for the NHL. Everyone just got giant woodies because of how he played in the Frozen Four. He will start in the AHL, and will go from there. I think he'll eventually get called up during the season, but writing him in stone as a starting NHL player in October is ridiculous. If he stays with the Phantoms for the whole year, that's ok too. On the other side, if he dominates pre-season and makes the team out of camp, that's also ok as long as the team recognizes if/when it's the right thing to do to send him to the Phantoms.
Watching the frozen four - he plays a very passive game in his own zone. I think he has a very long way to go to be ready for the pounding and aggressive forecheck of the NHL and I think he will need a long stay in the AHL to get better defensively.

That said he will get called up half way through the season, improve steadily and become the next Paul Coffey.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:27 PM
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99

vCash: 400
I think it would be best for him to play a good amount of games in the AHL, either 40 games or the whole season if necessary. I could definitely see him making the team out of camp this year and that's what I hope happens. I can definitely see this kid having instant success with the team as he is exactly what we need--a dynamic PMD.

Cyborg LeClair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:29 PM
hockeyfreak7

My prediction: has a strong camp, scores a PP goal or two during the preseason, and makes the team from the beginning

My decision: Wouldn't mind him starting the season in the AHL, but I wouldn't want him there for long. The team needs his skills desperately, and he's NHL ready enough that it won't have significant impact on his long-term development.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
As soon as he is ready. If he comes in to camp and earns the spot, let him play. If he is borderline and there is another option, send him to the AHL.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
As soon as he is ready. If he comes in to camp and earns the spot, let him play. If he is borderline and there is another option, send him to the AHL.
This is probably the right answer. I'm just not confident Berube is good at evaluating talent; too much preference for vets and role guys. We saw it with the whole Mez/Gus and Grossmann/Gill/Gus scenario this year.

blinds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 02:34 AM
dats81

Quote:
I really believe Hägg IS that option. Two years of pro hockey in Sweden and 10 games with the Phantoms and he almost immediately became their best two-way defenseman along with Manning.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 06:27 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I really believe Hägg IS that option. Two years of pro hockey in Sweden and 10 games with the Phantoms and he almost immediately became their best two-way defenseman along with Manning.
Manning doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with Hagg. The only other Phantom you could argue played as well was Alt. I'm really hoping Hagg surprises some people and makes the team. As much as I would love to see Ghost, I think he'll get exposed defensively. He's very depended on his speed, he would just blow past people. In the NHL he won't be able to do that as often.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 06:41 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Would rather he develops his D in the AHL first. I'm sure he will impress in camp and may play for 10 games but I can see him being like PK Subban when he first came in the league...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 06:43 AM
StandingCow

Develop him properly, full year in the AHL... it sucks to wait but it is the right thing to do. Let him gain strength, etc.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 07:22 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Manning doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence with Hagg. The only other Phantom you could argue played as well was Alt. I'm really hoping Hagg surprises some people and makes the team. As much as I would love to see Ghost, I think he'll get exposed defensively. He's very depended on his speed, he would just blow past people. In the NHL he won't be able to do that as often.
Manning is flawed because he lacks consistency but he has arguably been the Phantoms #1D since Gus was promoted.
I would not consider Alt a two-way threat since he is more of a mobile shutdown type.

I just wanted to point out that Hägg was at least as good as those two in his brief stint and will only get better!

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 07:34 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Manning?! Kidding right? Manning defensively was a train wreck. There is a reason why Alt was considered the first callup while Manning being called u was not even mentioned by Homer. I would say Alt took over that #1 spot. Halfway through the season Alt was playing on the top pairing, PK and PP. Manning started there but he started to get less time because of his poor defensive play. I had high hopes for Manning but thats 2 average seasons in a row.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 07:51 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
This is probably the right answer. I'm just not confident Berube is good at evaluating talent; too much preference for vets and role guys. We saw it with the whole Mez/Gus and Grossmann/Gill/Gus scenario this year.
Eh, I don't really see some sort of preference for vets or bias against rookies that people are talking about. They didn't like Gus for one reason or another. That's pretty much it. You may not like that, but it doesn't mean there is some bias against younger players (like half this team is 25 or under). Where is the bias against Schenn? Rinaldo? Raffl? Other Schenn? Oh, those guys don't count. There weren't any other examples. There was an example of the opposite...Akeson at the end of the season and playoffs, when he was given a shot to play over veterans. I'd say that is more a sign that there is no preference/bias, given that it was in the playoffs and the kid had played in two NHL games prior to that time (and was kept in after taking that bad penalty).

I'm not worried about Ghost not getting to play because of some conspiracy theory about Berube not liking young players (rookies?). I'm worried about Ghost not playing because he isn't good enough.

Old
05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
flyershockey

The only reason not to play Ghost in the NHL next year is if they're worried about him getting worn down by the playing schedule nearly doubling. In we're just talking about talent, then he's already a top four guy with this collection they have.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Hiesenberg

I said AHL, maybe called up if needed, but the Flyers are in a crappy cap space now w/ MacDonald returning @ 5 mil. They may need him to offset the heavy salaries at the top.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
The only reason not to play Ghost in the NHL next year is if they're worried about him getting worn down by the playing schedule nearly doubling. In we're just talking about talent, then he's already a top four guy with this collection they have.
Come on. The guy has played in exactly ZERO NHL games and he already has the talent to be a top four guy? I'm not harshing on the guy, but let's just see how he does in camp before we go crazy. I'd be psyched if he makes the team, and I think he will, but let's just see how training camp goes before we make statements like this.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:11 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Come on. The guy has played in exactly ZERO NHL games and he already has the talent to be a top four guy? I'm not harshing on the guy, but let's just see how he does in camp before we go crazy. I'd be psyched if he makes the team, and I think he will, but let's just see how training camp goes before we make statements like this.
He did say talent, and Ghost's talent level is pretty much superior to every defensiveman on this team, aside from maybe shot (Streit), but he looks to easily be the best skater on the d-core immediately, seems like an elite passer as well.

However its actually playing defense and holding up the physical game that is unknown.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:14 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Talent is the key word. He's not as well-rounded yet as guys like Streit, Coburn, and AMac, but you could argue that even right now he has more natural talent than any of them.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:15 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I mostly agree, I think Hagg is likely to be closer to NHL-ready than Ghost due to his size, experience against men, and his style of play. But I still would like to see them both get more time in the AHL. I would like to see more offense from Hagg playing with the Phantoms. I think he's been a little tentative in the games he's played so far.

If either one of them makes the Flyers out of TC then well, they make the Flyers out of TC. But if so they are going to struggle. Everyone does. Fans should be prepared for that and I'm not sure everyone is. To expect either of these kids to just jump into a top 4 role and replace say, Timonen would be incredibly naive.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:21 AM
Hiesenberg

If Timonen retires, I think you move Gross and go w/ Streit/Amac and Schenn/Coburn

And then see if a #6 emerges out of the kids and sign a vet #5.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:38 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Manning is flawed because he lacks consistency but he has arguably been the Phantoms #1D since Gus was promoted.
I would not consider Alt a two-way threat since he is more of a mobile shutdown type.

I just wanted to point out that Hägg was at least as good as those two in his brief stint and will only get better!
Manning never learned how to play defense in the AHL, something that is crucial making the jump to the next level. Alt certainly isn't an offensive threat but he's the better player no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
He did say talent, and Ghost's talent level is pretty much superior to every defensiveman on this team, aside from maybe shot (Streit), but he looks to easily be the best skater on the d-core immediately, seems like an elite passer as well.

However its actually playing defense and holding up the physical game that is unknown.
Coburn is one of the best skating d in the league. Ghost's skating is very good but in the NHL there will be plenty better.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:55 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Talent is the key word. He's not as well-rounded yet as guys like Streit, Coburn, and AMac, but you could argue that even right now he has more natural talent than any of them.
Even saying talent is a stretch. I know the kid can play and is talented. No doubt. But making such statements based on his play against college kids is a bit risky. Don't take this as me saying he is going to fail or anything like that, but he's never played in the NHL. If you are saying he has the talent TO BECOME a top four defenseman, then ok. But having never played against NHL players, it is a pretty bold statement for you to say he has the talent of a top four defender right now.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:04 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Unless you are Bobby Orr (and you aren't) talent only goes so far, especially on D. Talent, experience, smarts, is what you need (not necessarily in that order). I think Ghost needs a good dose of experience at this point.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:12 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Even saying talent is a stretch. I know the kid can play and is talented. No doubt. But making such statements based on his play against college kids is a bit risky. Don't take this as me saying he is going to fail or anything like that, but he's never played in the NHL. If you are saying he has the talent TO BECOME a top four defenseman, then ok. But having never played against NHL players, it is a pretty bold statement for you to say he has the talent of a top four defender right now.
He does have the talent to play in the top four right now, at least he does for this club. With the talent, he needs the experience of actually doing it to get better. What's the problem with starting him on the third pair next year? Are we afraid that he won't be as good as Grossmann or Schenn? His skating alone makes him a better fit for the current NHL. This guy is 21, not 19. He's the same age that most prospects at his level are when they make their debuts in the NHL. Laughton will be over a full year younger than Ghost when they start the season next year, and I don't see many people struggling to put him on the roster. Like I said, the only thing holding him back should be if they don't feel that he can handle the pro schedule being nearly twice as long the NCAA's.