HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

extreme outside of foot pain. opinions?

Old
05-04-2014, 09:03 PM
domm17

vCash: 500
extreme outside of foot pain. opinions?

(this is for roller hockey, by the way)
so i got a new pair of ccm rbz 80's recently. size 9D i had them baked and got some custom ccm insoles with them as well. used them a couple times, things felt normal. then i had a scrimmage with my team last night. about 30 minutes in i started getting intense pain on the outsides of both feet, mainly the right one though. i had to sit myself out a lot more than i wanted to because of this pain. (i wasnt even going super hard, it was just a scrimmage) when the game was over, i took off my skates and literally could not put any weight on my right foot at all. i had to hop off the court and to my car on my left foot (luckily my friend was driving). even when i got home, it took about 2 hours before i could place any weight on it. and even 24 hours later it still is very painful. i can walk, but it hurts. the pain is focused around the outside/outside-bottom of my right foot. it hurts to walk or even if i press on that area. i dont see any bruising or swelling. any ideas if this could be some type of injury? my left foot feels fine.

here is what i am thinking, (and i would love to hear what you guys think, especially if anyone else has had pain in this area or used these skates)

1. i just got new waxed laces prior to this scrimmage. i think i may have tied my skates extremely too tight causing the pain. i also tightened my skates once with my toes pointing up. yea i know, thats stupid, but i forgot to put my foot flat
2. im not sure about these ccm insoles. i got fitted with the medium arch ones, but idk. i have used superfeet and i think i like them better
3. these skates use an 80 80 80 80 wheel setup. i have always skated with the hi-lo 80 80 76 76 setup. i feel like maybe the flat nature of the 80 80 80 80 doesnt work with my feet and causes me to be too flatfooted, making there be a lot of pressure on the outside of the foot
4. maybe they are not wide enough. although, i tried on a bunch of skates and i liked the way they felt. i tried on some wide boots just to be sure and they were too wide. idk maybe i would just be better off with a different brand
5. also, my right foot is about a half size bigger than my left. my right is about a 9.5 while my left is almost at a 9. the ccm rbz is cut about a half size big though, so thats why i got 9's.

im just trying to decide what to do at this point. should i try getting them punched, new insoles, new skates all together. i understand that it takes a while to break in skates. but this is ridiculous. i have broken in skates before. i have never experienced foot pain this bad to where i couldnt walk for hours and then have pain that is still really bad 24 hours later , especially considering i had them baked and skated in a them a few times. interested to hear what you have to say before i make a decision with what i want to do, or if any of you think i may have some type of injury. stress fracture, etc.
(sorry for the length, just wanted to provide all relevant info)

thanks.

domm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:02 PM
Beezeral

new skates take time getting used to. but you seem to have covered everything so the only one who really knows what to do is you

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 12:55 PM
leftwinger37

I just converted a pair of my ice hockey skates to inline to play this spring/summer with some friends after not skating inline for about 3 years. I am having similar problems, though the pain for me is not as intense as you describe.

Like you, the pain is concentrated to the bottom-outside edge of my feet. Also like you, I am using a straight setup rather than hi-lo for the first time. Although my skates are not new, they are stiff because I like a stiff boot for ice hockey. I skated using the stock footbeds the first couple times, but then switched them out for a pair of my yellow Superfeet and noticed a little less discomfort.

I think the straight setup and the stiffness could be the culprets. I am skating on a smooth concrete outdoor suface and think that since the surface is not as responsive as ice is, the combination of the stiff boot contacting with the hard cement is causing my feet to absorb the shock. Also, as you mentioned, I have a medium arch and think that my feet are more flat than I am used to.

The pain seems to lessen week after week, but after about 3 hours of playing, I think there is going to be some soreness no matter what. Might try gel insoles...

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:55 PM
domm17

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
I just converted a pair of my ice hockey skates to inline to play this spring/summer with some friends after not skating inline for about 3 years. I am having similar problems, though the pain for me is not as intense as you describe.

Like you, the pain is concentrated to the bottom-outside edge of my feet. Also like you, I am using a straight setup rather than hi-lo for the first time. Although my skates are not new, they are stiff because I like a stiff boot for ice hockey. I skated using the stock footbeds the first couple times, but then switched them out for a pair of my yellow Superfeet and noticed a little less discomfort.

I think the straight setup and the stiffness could be the culprets. I am skating on a smooth concrete outdoor suface and think that since the surface is not as responsive as ice is, the combination of the stiff boot contacting with the hard cement is causing my feet to absorb the shock. Also, as you mentioned, I have a medium arch and think that my feet are more flat than I am used to.

The pain seems to lessen week after week, but after about 3 hours of playing, I think there is going to be some soreness no matter what. Might try gel insoles...
wow, sounds like we have pretty much the exact same problem. i am really thinking it is a combination of the straight setup as well as the ccm insoles i have in them right now as opposed to superfeet. plus i think i really over did the tightening of the skates the other day for some reason, cutting off the circulation and squeezing my foot. i honestly dont know why i thought it would be a good idea to change brands when i was happy with bauer. even the last cheap pair of bauers i had were comfortable, but that may be because they were not as stiff. maybe im just not used to such a stiff boot. either way, its been 48 hours and my foot still hurts to walk lol. hopefully it will get better over time. i may see if i can pick up a pair of bauers for a good price online somewhere.

Old
05-05-2014, 05:12 PM
OTP Legend*

This became a major issue for me when I was 13 or 14 years old. . CCM/Bauer/Graf/etc... All the skates fit differently and the sizing varies. I think the problem is with the width of your skate OP. D is the standard skate width. Stores stock is probably like 90% D width.

I would recommend trying out an E skate moving forward. I'm 27 now, and completely eliminated this issue by ensuring the width of the skate fit me.

OTP Legend* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 05:53 PM
Crosbyfan

Just a thought

I know tight lacing combined with lack of arch support can load the instep and collapse the unsupported arch...but I think that normally affects the plantar fascia bottom mid foot...is the pain only on the outside? Maybe compensating with loading the outside to keep the skate on track? Any muscle soreness/extra fatigue on the inside ankle area?

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:27 PM
domm17

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTP Legend View Post
This became a major issue for me when I was 13 or 14 years old. . CCM/Bauer/Graf/etc... All the skates fit differently and the sizing varies. I think the problem is with the width of your skate OP. D is the standard skate width. Stores stock is probably like 90% D width.

I would recommend trying out an E skate moving forward. I'm 27 now, and completely eliminated this issue by ensuring the width of the skate fit me.
yea i mean i have tried a few skates in EE width but they felt too wide and floppy. for all of the inline skates the only widths i have been able to find are D/R and EE. never seen an E. is E and EE the same thing just depending on what brand it is? also do you know if D and R are the same width. there are some bauers that i only see in D and some that are only in R. someone told me R is a bit wider. anyone know if this is true? my old bauers are R while my new ccm's are D. maybe this could have something to do with it? any thoughts?

Old
05-05-2014, 08:34 PM
domm17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
I know tight lacing combined with lack of arch support can load the instep and collapse the unsupported arch...but I think that normally affects the plantar fascia bottom mid foot...is the pain only on the outside? Maybe compensating with loading the outside to keep the skate on track? Any muscle soreness/extra fatigue on the inside ankle area?
yea, i tied them "REALLY" tight with waxed laces. i dont know what i was thinking. i was playing with some new guys so maybe i just wanted to make sure i was ready to make some plays and i tightened them a few times throughout playing. there is literally no pain anywhere else on my feet or ankles other than what i described. it is only the outside/outside bottom of my right foot. it is still sore when i walk, and as i said i couldnt put ANY pressure on it for about 2 or 3 hours after playing on saturday. its been about 2 days and i have just been staying off of it. no skating or anything. it doesnt appear to be swollen, but it is semi-painful to the touch if i press on that area, or if i walk. now it seems to be more of a dull nagging pain. its not super sharp, but it is definitely there. one of my buddies said i should get an x-ray to make sure its not a stress fracture. ive never had any foot problems really (besides a broken toe a long time ago) so im not sure what a fracture feels like. i really expected the pain to completely go away after a few hours, but it obviously has not.

Old
05-05-2014, 08:57 PM
AIREAYE

Read the skate guide for your questions regarding the widths.

This sounds too severe to be an ill fitted skate problem. I suggest you go see a doctor to rule anything that you can't control out.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
domm17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Read the skate guide for your questions regarding the widths.

This sounds too severe to be an ill fitted skate problem. I suggest you go see a doctor to rule anything that you can't control out.
i read the skate guide, it did not answer the questions i posed above. and i am going to see a doctor in the next day or so. really hoping its not some type of stress fracture, but it sounds like it could be a possibility based on the information ive read about stress fractures in the foot.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
AIREAYE

Let me summarize then: 'D' or 'R' is arbitrary to designate 'Standard' width in that skate line, while 'E' and 'EE' represent 'Wider' in that skate line. There is no universal width indication across the different skate lines. Some are wider or narrower than others. The RBZs are among the wider boots, with D being close to a Vapor EE for example.

Old
05-05-2014, 10:19 PM
domm17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Let me summarize then: 'D' or 'R' is arbitrary to designate 'Standard' width in that skate line, while 'E' and 'EE' represent 'Wider' in that skate line. There is no universal width indication across the different skate lines. Some are wider or narrower than others. The RBZs are among the wider boots, with D being close to a Vapor EE for example.
ok, thanks. sorry if i am not understanding, but i was looking at the vapor line of inline skates. within the same line some are offered only in r and some are offered only in d. i could understand if one company uses r and one company uses d. but having the same line of skates from the same company use some models with d and some with r doesnt make sense to me. am i missing something? i can give you a specific link if you want. i looked online and this was the way it was. went to a hockey shop and this was the way it was. the x50R x60R and x70R is only offered in R. while the x90R and the top of the line APX2R is only offered in D. i am only referring to the d/r widths, i know these are also offered in e/ee as well. but the whole d/r within the same line isnt making sense to me.

Old
05-05-2014, 11:25 PM
AIREAYE

Perhaps an indication that there would only be one width available. Fit should be close if not the same, yet feel would be different as there are different materials being used as you move up.