HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Islanders brass blaming Hollweg for Simon assault

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2007, 03:41 PM
War Admiral

vCash: 500
This is certainly no "Holier than Thou" rant but why the hell do Ranger fans ALWAYS have to make everything so personal? Why can't you just state your damn opinion without taking "pop"shots at the Islanders and their fans? This is the exact reason why people either "hate" or "love" the Rangers...there is no in-between.

The difference is that Islander fans/organization can admit that the Simon incident was an inexcusable horrific act and has no place in hockey...BUT the Rag's fans can't admit that Hollweg and Avery are dirty players. And YES...Billy Smith was a very dirty player!!!

Old
03-11-2007, 03:48 PM
GilliesGirlie

Hey,

I just want to say one thing, while Nolan's comments are questionable and that maybe him being the coach should not have said it. Fine.

But Brendan Witt, how do his comments differ from some of the things that come out of Sean Avery's mouth?? Seems like a double standard no?

As for as the Isles being a "classless" org. I don't think that is fair to say either.

I saw in another post (maybe on another board, I have read so much lately) saying that the Isles have had some "dirty" players and went on to list a bunch.

The Rangers have had some as well
Ulf Samualsson (spelling?)
Dale Purinton (again spelling I'm sorry)
Sean Avery (the arguement could be made)
Colton Orr (again arguement could be made)
could be more/less but I don't remember that far back

Anyway, I'm not trying to be a troll, just want to point out that every team in the NHL has said someone on their team called a dirty player wether(spelling?) it's right or wrong.

Anyway, I hope this stops from both fan bases, this is an exciting part of the season and I really wish this never went down. The NHL didn't need another round of bad press.

Good Luck the rest of the way.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:54 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
I am sorry, but if Hollweg two handed Simon in the face I would in no way be "supporting" Hollweg. Most Rangers fans didn't support Purinton when he did his eye gouge routine either. Nolan's comments suggest that he thinks Hollweg made the most out of the incident. Excuse me, but you'll have to forgive me if I call those comments ********. When you get chopped in the ****ing FACE it might take awhile to get your bearings and figure out that you are okay. I don't have any animosity for Islanders fans in general but if you support Simon, Nolan's comments or believe that Hollweg somehow was embellishing the incident then I think you need a reality check or at least put on your homer dunce cap. The whole incident isn't about a rivalry, it is about a dangerous act that could have created another Bertuzzi/Moore like incident. Nolan should give some credit to Hollweg for moving on already without pressing charges against Simon. I always liked Nolan, thought he should have gotten another job in the NHL a long time ago, but comments like that (taken out of context or otherwise) are stupid, ignorant and classless.

Old
03-11-2007, 03:58 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Bottom line, any time you bring in the player who was injured and on the receiving end, whether you say it in words or not, by bring them in to the discussion you are implying that the attacker was somewhat justified, period. Again, the words coming forth from anyone associated with the islanders, Simon, Snow, Nolan, isle players or fans that doesn't end with it was wrong is a lame attempt to deflect responsibility.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:00 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
This is certainly no "Holier than Thou" rant but why the hell do Ranger fans ALWAYS have to make everything so personal? Why can't you just state your damn opinion without taking "pop"shots at the Islanders and their fans? This is the exact reason why people either "hate" or "love" the Rangers...there is no in-between.

The difference is that Islander fans/organization can admit that the Simon incident was an inexcusable horrific act and has no place in hockey...BUT the Rag's fans can't admit that Hollweg and Avery are dirty players. And YES...Billy Smith was a very dirty player!!!
And yes, Nystrom's goal to win your first cup is still offsides!

Old
03-11-2007, 04:03 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1982 View Post
I am sorry, but if Hollweg two handed Simon in the face I would in no way be "supporting" Hollweg. Most Rangers fans didn't support Purinton when he did his eye gouge routine either. Nolan's comments suggest that he thinks Hollweg made the most out of the incident. Excuse me, but you'll have to forgive me if I call those comments ********. When you get chopped in the ****ing FACE it might take awhile to get your bearings and figure out that you are okay. I don't have any animosity for Islanders fans in general but if you support Simon, Nolan's comments or believe that Hollweg somehow was embellishing the incident then I think you need a reality check or at least put on your homer dunce cap. The whole incident isn't about a rivalry, it is about a dangerous act that could have created another Bertuzzi/Moore like incident. Nolan should give some credit to Hollweg for moving on already without pressing charges against Simon. I always liked Nolan, thought he should have gotten another job in the NHL a long time ago, but comments like that (taken out of context or otherwise) are stupid, ignorant and classless.
I'm not sure if you read the first part of my post, I don't agree with Nolan's comments, if that is how he felt fine but as the coach he shouldn't have said it to the media.

Never once did I say I was "okay" with the Simon deal, I wasn't when it went down and I'm still not. It was vile, disgusting and cowardly and no place for it in hockey.

Although I don't expect Nolan to go to the media praising Ryan Hollweg, and I don't think you would expect Tom Renney to had the situation been reversed.

This only hurt the NHL, Chris Simon and the Islanders ( which it shouldn't becuase the action of one should not reflect upon the team as a whole, or the fans for that matter, and Isles fan with half a brain realizes the seriousness of what Simon did)

I will ask my question about Witt/Avery again, if Witt's comments are so bad what about the numerous things that come from Sean Avery?

Avery is damn good at what he does and he is a solid player to go along with it, he should let his play do all his talking.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:04 PM
lotus

I haven't read the whole thread but I'm just going to drop in a quick comment that is hopefully not repeated. And before you isle fans flame me, give it a few good reads before you defend your hometown hero. (fine, thats uncalled for, alot of you are decent people, but that's more directed at the people who cheered simon. I'm not trying to start a flame, but I think i raise a good point here.)

Simon didn't say crap until he "talked to the league". He was asked if he would say anything to Hollweg immediately after and responded with "im sorry I lost the game for our team".

I think it's pretty clear here that the league is making him publicly apologize. He's not sorry. He smacked Hollweg in the face with his stick and then admired the mess he left on the ice like he was proud. He feels good, he loves what he did, and he's only upset about being suspended and costing his team a game.

My ass he's sorry. Bull**** and everyone knows it.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:11 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
Bottom line, any time you bring in the player who was injured and on the receiving end, whether you say it in words or not, by bring them in to the discussion you are implying that the attacker was somewhat justified, period. Again, the words coming forth from anyone associated with the islanders, Simon, Snow, Nolan, isle players or fans that doesn't end with it was wrong is a lame attempt to deflect responsibility.
B.S.

Nobody is justifying it.

It is a fine line, but there is a clear difference between justification and mitigation. Isles fans are pointing out mitigating factors. Here is the legal definition of that term (courtesy of The Lectric Law Library Dictionary):

MITIGATING FACTORS - Information about a defendant or the circumstances of a crime that might tend to lessen the sentence or the crime with which the person is charged. Crimes are frequently committed under circumstances which are not justifiable nor excusable, yet they show that the offender has been greatly tempted; as, for example, when a starving man steals bread to satisfy his hunger, this circumstance is taken into consideration in mitigation of his sentence.

Please understand and accept the difference between that and justification.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
nyscene

Quote:

No, but I do remember there being a Colton Orr appreciation thread when he cheapshotted Ovechkin up high around teh face area.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:13 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristieLovesSBates17 View Post
I'm not sure if you read the first part of my post, I don't agree with Nolan's comments, if that is how he felt fine but as the coach he shouldn't have said it to the media.

Never once did I say I was "okay" with the Simon deal, I wasn't when it went down and I'm still not. It was vile, disgusting and cowardly and no place for it in hockey.

Although I don't expect Nolan to go to the media praising Ryan Hollweg, and I don't think you would expect Tom Renney to had the situation been reversed.

This only hurt the NHL, Chris Simon and the Islanders ( which it shouldn't becuase the action of one should not reflect upon the team as a whole, or the fans for that matter, and Isles fan with half a brain realizes the seriousness of what Simon did)

I will ask my question about Witt/Avery again, if Witt's comments are so bad what about the numerous things that come from Sean Avery?

Avery is damn good at what he does and he is a solid player to go along with it, he should let his play do all his talking.

My comments were a general condemnation of some posts, here and elsewhere, that had elements of what I addressed. Anyway, great, I'm glad you don't support Simon. I wouldn't either. Second, no I would not expect Renney to make a comment like Nolan made. Nolan should have kept his mouth shut and not taken a pot shot, I would have expected Renney to act with class befitting the Rangers organization. And third, I don't give a crap about big mouth Avery or Witt talking in the press. I like the way both play a hard nosed hockey game, but players yapping in the media doesn't really interest me that much. As you say, let the play do the talking.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
My comments were a general condemnation of some posts, here and elsewhere, that had elements of what I addressed. Anyway, great, I'm glad you don't support Simon. I wouldn't either. Second, no I would not expect Renney to make a comment like Nolan made. Nolan should have kept his mouth shut and not taken a pot shot, I would have expected Renney to act with class befitting the Rangers organization. And third, I don't give a crap about big mouth Avery or Witt talking in the press. I like the way both play a hard nosed hockey game, but players yapping in the media doesn't really interest me that much. As you say, let the play do the talking.
Again, you misread what I posted.

I said that I didn't expect Ted Nolan to praise Ryan Hollweg and that Rangers wouldn't have expected Tom Renney to praise the Islander had the situation been reversed.

As for Witt/Avery, fair enough. Just some posters are complaining about Witt and his comments when the way I see it he is no different from Sean Avery in that department, and I don't pay much attention the either of them when they talk to the media either.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:18 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo View Post
Why? Hollweg hit him from behind leading to a concussion. We all know that Simon lost it, and should never have done what he did. No one is excusing that. Hollweg is a dirty player though, that has a history of these hits. This is nothing new for him, and frankly he should have gotten suspended for drilling Simon from behind facce first into the boards. The hit in no way excuses what Simon did, but what Simon did should not excuse Hollweg from responsibility for his play as well.
Says the Flyers fan.

Wah wah wah wah. Keep crying and get back to the basement where you belong.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatch038 View Post
Exactly. Amazing how people forget!!!
And most of us thought the suspension was either justified or too short.

What's your point?

Old
03-11-2007, 04:22 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
Again, you misread what I posted.

I said that I didn't expect Ted Nolan to praise Ryan Hollweg and that Rangers wouldn't have expected Tom Renney to praise the Islander had the situation been reversed.

As for Witt/Avery, fair enough. Just some posters are complaining about Witt and his comments when the way I see it he is no different from Sean Avery in that department, and I don't pay much attention the either of them when they talk to the media either.
I didn't read your post first of all. My original comments weren't directed at you. And finally I expect Renney would shut his trap and not take a shot at a guy who had been victimized. What don't you understand?

Old
03-11-2007, 04:25 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
I didn't read your post first of all. My original comments weren't directed at you. And finally I expect Renney would shut his trap and not take a shot at a guy who had been victimized. What don't you understand?

Okay, you had said that Nolan should have praised Hollweg for getting up and not going after Simon.

All I said was, while I don't think Nolan should have said anything at all, I didn't expect him to praise Holloweg at all, and that I didn't think Ranger fans would expect Renney to praise an Islander for getting up had a Ranger done what Simon did.

That is all.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:25 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Where were all you fishstix fans last week? Was the 2nd game of the back to back at the Garden or Mausoleum? I could have sworn it was a Rangers' home game with all the pro rangers chants throughout the game.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:

That was posted right after my post, so I assumed you read my post that is all.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
Quote:
Where were all you fishstix fans last week? Was the 2nd game of the back to back at the Garden or Mausoleum? I could have sworn it was a Rangers' home game with all the pro rangers chants throughout the game.

It was about 75-25 Islanders. But since there was nothing much to cheer about, the Ranger fans are much louder. Deservedly so.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:28 PM
AJ1982

Quote:
That was posted right after my post, so I assumed you read my post that is all.
Took me awhile to type it all, I was actually writing it before your post was up

Old
03-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
The "DP... SUCKS"! chants were fantastic and loud as can possibly be. The Rangers fans were just as loud and obnoxious as the Isles fans. It had to be around 60-40 Isles to Rangers fans. No way the Rangers fans would've been that loud if there were less of them there.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post

It was about 75-25 Islanders. But since there was nothing much to cheer about, the Ranger fans are much louder. Deservedly so.
Highly, highly doubt it was 75-25. No effin' way. You saw nearly half of the crowd in Rangers jerseys on TV and both sides were chanting and jeering just as loud.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:30 PM
GilliesGirlie

Quote:
Took me awhile to type it all, I was actually writing it before your post was up

Fair enough.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:37 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Simon got what he deserved, and probably deserved more. The one thing i can't understand is the fact that people are making Hollweg out to be Mr. Innocent. He is a "heart and soul" type player. Running players from behind is a heart and soul player? On what planet. I watched the past 2 games and didn't see him hit one person from the front. He hit malone yesterday when the puck was nowhere near, and today he drills craig adams from behind. Hollweg has a repuation for running players from behind, and late. The most precious of all is Sean Avery commenting on anything that might be perceived as dirty.

Old
03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rx View Post
Highly, highly doubt it was 75-25. No effin' way. You saw nearly half of the crowd in Rangers jerseys on TV and both sides were chanting and jeering just as loud.
Certainly possible Jon, 25-75. Though by the end of the game I expect you were right, 60-40 as many who one were cheering for the isles at the beginning of the game jumped sides in mid game, something Isle fans are known for, jump off one bandwagon and on to another. Its second nature to many of them, its like switching trains at Jamaica on the LIRR, nothing to it!

Old
03-11-2007, 04:41 PM
BJo

Quote:
Certainly possible Jon, 25-75. Though by the end of the game I expect you were right, 60-40 as many who one were cheering for the isles at the beginning of the game jumped sides in mid game, something Isle fans are known for, jump off one bandwagon and on to another. Its second nature to many of them, its like switching trains at Jamaica on the LIRR, nothing to it!
Ranger fans are extremely die hard and the best in sports though for sure. No fans compare to their loyalty.

Closed Thread