HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

ECHL Franchise changes in 2014 offseason

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2014, 01:39 PM
  #26
PCSPounder
Registered User
 
PCSPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Portland. So there.
Country: United States
Posts: 984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberoski View Post
Not sure where you are getting your information, but there is no limit to the number of AHL or NHL contracts assigned to an ECHL team.
I don't think there's an actual limit. Three seems to be about as many as most NHL teams are willing to supply. The affiliation for ECHL teams is, more often than not, about marketing more than utility.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 04:05 PM
  #27
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Wheeling will stay. I dare say they benefit a lot from having Pittsburgh and Montreal with them. They're having a good season as well.

I agree with this.

And I still think Peoria rejoins the league this off-season.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2014, 07:19 PM
  #28
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
I agree with this.

And I still think Peoria rejoins the league this off-season.
Peoria was under common ownership and may not have been sold as part of the Bloomington transaction as they went USHL, SO the question is what ownership group actually owns the SPHL Rivermen, and until the ECHL League meetings, you won't see anything, publically, and whomever controls said team may choose to stay in the SPHL, JD.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 11:12 AM
  #29
mk80
Registered User
 
mk80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Peoria's ownership controlled Bloomington's this past year. I haven't heard anything of the ownership spliting now that the Thunder have gone to the USHL.

mk80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 12:31 PM
  #30
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk80 View Post
Peoria's ownership controlled Bloomington's this past year. I haven't heard anything of the ownership spliting now that the Thunder have gone to the USHL.
I doubt they'll split, as I see them moving Bloomington to the USHL as more of remediating the market and placing them in a situation that won't be as problematic, considering how you have most of the USHL's teams in a short distance.

However, with Peoria, having to travel to the south doesn't sound like a good idea from a competition standpoint in getting your fanbase interested. I still think the only reason why they would stay in the SPHL is finances.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 02:39 PM
  #31
Off da post and in
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 64
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
However, with Peoria, having to travel to the south doesn't sound like a good idea from a competition standpoint in getting your fanbase interested. I still think the only reason why they would stay in the SPHL is finances.
Rumor Central- a certain sports reporter in the St.Louis area earlier today tweeted, "St Charles Chill is parting ways with the CHL"......
speculation is SPHL or folding?

Off da post and in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 03:21 PM
  #32
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Source it.

Nevermind, found it.

https://twitter.com/Blues_Buzz/statu...22840432197632

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 05:33 PM
  #33
CrazyEddie20
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
That's the same joke of a reporter who said he saw them staying around for years.

CrazyEddie20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2014, 08:09 PM
  #34
Gearhead82
Saginaw Gears 72-83
 
Gearhead82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Country: United States
Posts: 185
vCash: 500
My guess they fold.

Gearhead82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
  #35
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead82 View Post
My guess they fold.
Wouldn't be surprised. If they fold and both Casper and Louisville fall apart, it's curtains for the CHL and at least one team aims for the ECHL.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2014, 11:58 PM
  #36
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Wouldn't be surprised. If they fold and both Casper and Louisville fall apart, it's curtains for the CHL and at least one team aims for the ECHL.
whomever quoted that the Chill were cutting ties w/ the Blues, is flat out speculating..... Central League is intending to keep the team there according to MLHR.COM, the franchise, which had called it home as the Missouri River Otters, then the Laredo Bucks, where these owners acquired the rights a year ago, may sell said team or fold it, it's not definite either way.

Casper isn't happening I don't think, Louisville is still burning over the Afr issue, that even if it's at KFC/Yum arena, nothing's there.

as for the ECHL they have their own set of issues even if they end up losing the Western division by 2015.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:29 AM
  #37
Gibbie42
Registered User
 
Gibbie42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 59
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
I doubt they'll split, as I see them moving Bloomington to the USHL as more of remediating the market and placing them in a situation that won't be as problematic, considering how you have most of the USHL's teams in a short distance.

However, with Peoria, having to travel to the south doesn't sound like a good idea from a competition standpoint in getting your fanbase interested. I still think the only reason why they would stay in the SPHL is finances.
The USHL Bloomington Thunder have new owners.

Coliseum management leaves local hockey, sticks with Peoria

USHL Formally Approves Expansion to Bloomington, Illinois


Last edited by Gibbie42: 05-01-2014 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Because I used the wrong name for the team in Bloomington. I can't keep them straight anymore.
Gibbie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:08 AM
  #38
Royalsflagrunner77
Registered User
 
Royalsflagrunner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Birdsboro PA
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
My question is with hockey growing in popularity in the US and around the world Does hockey eventualy grow were it will 30/30/30 with he top teams owning the lower level franchises. Almost like baseball . Or do you see the AA folding completely


Last edited by Royalsflagrunner77: 05-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Royalsflagrunner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 11:16 AM
  #39
Royalsflagrunner77
Registered User
 
Royalsflagrunner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Birdsboro PA
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Also do you see Philly or another franchise starting Trenton back up or the rumor out of washington about putting a AA team in baltimore. To me it looks like the E is having problems in the north east Elmira hurting wheeling dont look to good And I hate to say it but Readings been hurting for while lack of close rivalries or travel cost. Reading has a new owner with very deep pockets plus hes local . Reading is looking sturdier then the past . But the rest of the teams in the atlantic are in trouble i say rebuild the east instead of expanding west.

Royalsflagrunner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:10 PM
  #40
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsflagrunner77 View Post
Also do you see Philly or another franchise starting Trenton back up or the rumor out of washington about putting a AA team in baltimore. To me it looks like the E is having problems in the north east Elmira hurting wheeling dont look to good And I hate to say it but Readings been hurting for while lack of close rivalries or travel cost. Reading has a new owner with very deep pockets plus hes local . Reading is looking sturdier then the past . But the rest of the teams in the atlantic are in trouble i say rebuild the east instead of expanding west.
Trenton nor Baltimore are returning anytime soon, even if Monumental goes that route, Royals, leaves Reading affiliate-less since Hershey/WSH are your current affiliate franchises.

Elmira is fine, Wheeling is fine....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2014, 08:12 PM
  #41
FrancoRussianAlaskan
Liter-a-cola
 
FrancoRussianAlaskan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pensacola, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsflagrunner77 View Post
My question is with hockey growing in popularity in the US and around the world Does hockey eventualy grow were it will 30/30/30 with he top teams owning the lower level franchises. Almost like baseball . Or do you see the AA folding completely
IMO, neither. The AA level already has more than 30 and I think you'll see things stay the way they are: some teams affiliated, some independent. The teams and pairings will come and go but there are currently enough markets available to support more than 30 AA level teams.

Additionally, it's in the NHL's best interests that the AA level doesn't die. They need somewhere for their AHL teams to get temporary help as well as a place to stash the bottom ends of their 50 contracts such as a 5th goalie.

FrancoRussianAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 11:16 AM
  #42
Royalsflagrunner77
Registered User
 
Royalsflagrunner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Birdsboro PA
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=FrancoRussianAlaskan;84462539]IMO, neither. The AA level already has more than 30 and I think you'll see things stay the way they are: some teams affiliated, some independent. The teams and pairings will come and go but there are currently enough markets available to support more than 30 AA level teams.

Additionally, it's in the NHL's best interests that the AA level doesn't die. They need somewhere for their AHL teams to get temporary help as well as a place to stash the bottom ends of their 50 contracts such as a 5th goalie.[/QUO

Do you ever see there being one AA league instead of several .

Royalsflagrunner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 01:17 PM
  #43
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsflagrunner77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoRussianAlaskan View Post
IMO, neither. The AA level already has more than 30 and I think you'll see things stay the way they are: some teams affiliated, some independent. The teams and pairings will come and go but there are currently enough markets available to support more than 30 AA level teams.

Additionally, it's in the NHL's best interests that the AA level doesn't die. They need somewhere for their AHL teams to get temporary help as well as a place to stash the bottom ends of their 50 contracts such as a 5th goalie.
Do you ever see there being one AA league instead of several .
Well, there is the CHL, but we don't know how much longer that league's gonna hang around, considering it's focus is more on surviving than thriving, and the ECHL's not in its glory days.

However, there is a demand for AA hockey, and if one league fails, another one will take its place.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 06:57 PM
  #44
iamjs
Unregistered User
 
iamjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 9,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
And... then there's the supposed return of Columbia and the expected expansion in Reno. Neither of which will happen.
I'm more likely to see the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus playing tennis tomorrow morning than see Columbia back in the ECHL next season.

Bad jokes aside, how has Columbia been able to keep a franchise in suspended status for six seasons?

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  #45
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,485
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
St. Charles done;

SPHL Missisippi Surge suspend ops indefinitely.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 11:33 AM
  #46
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
St. Charles done;

SPHL Missisippi Surge suspend ops indefinitely.
St. Charles, I am not surprised, since they only kept that team around to give Missouri some competition, and without that, this may either result in a patchwork job to keep the CHL afloat, or start a domino effect that may see one or two teams try to join the ECHL to stay around (to me, likely candidates would be Quad Cities and Missouri, and unlikely candidates being Allen and Arizona).

Mississippi, however, I feel sad about. They were a great market for the Sea Wolves and the Surge, but Mississippi is a place where it's difficult to maintain finances.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 06:21 PM
  #47
Royalsflagrunner77
Registered User
 
Royalsflagrunner77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Birdsboro PA
Country: United States
Posts: 92
vCash: 500
Would Rapid city ever make a move to the E

Royalsflagrunner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  #48
JDogindy
Registered User
 
JDogindy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Country: United States
Posts: 127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalsflagrunner77 View Post
Would Rapid city ever make a move to the E
Doubtful. I look at them in no-man's-land, since their nearest opponents(for this argument, let's assume no other changes happen) are Colorado and Evansville.

Although there is a considerable amount of distance amongst the Western teams, at least there is some cohesiveness. Eastern teams benefit more from having adjacent opponents that can fill 30% of their schedule.

However, if Quad Cities and Missouri make the trip (and Peoria rejoins, too), it'll be more likely.

Here's how I view the remaining CHL assets... Tulsa and Wichita are dinosaurs, relics of a bygone era. They don't want any affiliations and the SPHL would not take them in.

Brampton and Denver need to fold. Neither made any sense as Brampton failed in the OH freakin' L, while Denver was another attempt to reclaim the region after the Rocky Mountain Rage disaster.

Allen and Arizona are moneypits. I like the Subdogs moving to the ECHL only due to the West and they do have fans, but they have a hard time remaining solvent. Same for Allen, except they also fall into that no-man's-land situation, unless the ECHL has plans for a Sugar Land/Houston expansion.

So, that leaves those three, who have a puncher's chance of joining the league.

JDogindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:07 PM
  #49
Avsrule2002
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDogindy View Post
Doubtful. I look at them in no-man's-land, since their nearest opponents(for this argument, let's assume no other changes happen) are Colorado and Evansville.

Although there is a considerable amount of distance amongst the Western teams, at least there is some cohesiveness. Eastern teams benefit more from having adjacent opponents that can fill 30% of their schedule.

However, if Quad Cities and Missouri make the trip (and Peoria rejoins, too), it'll be more likely.

Here's how I view the remaining CHL assets... Tulsa and Wichita are dinosaurs, relics of a bygone era. They don't want any affiliations and the SPHL would not take them in.

Brampton and Denver need to fold. Neither made any sense as Brampton failed in the OH freakin' L, while Denver was another attempt to reclaim the region after the Rocky Mountain Rage disaster.

Allen and Arizona are moneypits. I like the Subdogs moving to the ECHL only due to the West and they do have fans, but they have a hard time remaining solvent. Same for Allen, except they also fall into that no-man's-land situation, unless the ECHL has plans for a Sugar Land/Houston expansion.

So, that leaves those three, who have a puncher's chance of joining the league.
Colorado, Utah, Idaho and Las Vegas are all closer than Evansville from Rapid. None of those trips other than Vegas are any farther than what they travel now. Rapid would fit in perfectly with the ECHL mountain division. But until the CHL ceases to exist, or the Rush get through their 10 year contract, the CHL will continue to hold them hostage.
The Western ECHL will always be an airplane league. There really is no way around it, in my opinion.

Avsrule2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:46 PM
  #50
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Shogunate of Nofunia
Country: Fiji
Posts: 28,798
vCash: 1
The Indy Fuel will have at least a year as the only hockey team in Indianapolis.

Quote:
The U.S. Hockey League announced Sunday that it has given permission for the Ice to sit out the 2014-15 season as the junior hockey league franchise searches for a permanent home arena
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports...riday/8709823/

Hard to imagine a team moving back in after closing shop. More likely than not, will relocate in a year or so, imho.

__________________

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limitations of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.