HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michael Nylander

Old
03-02-2007, 10:01 PM
BobMarleyNYR

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Hahahaha... this thread is absolutely ridiculous! We have tremendous, glaring deficiencies, yet we manage to create a problem where there isn't one. Only Rangers fans.

Nylander is NOT a problem, this should be pretty obvious. A bigger problem is that our best healthy D-man seems to be Girardi - an inexperienced 21-year-old. A bigger problem is that we've played the same goalie for 30 consecutive games (who's also still kind of green, as evidence by his choking last night). A bigger problem is some of our forwards, whose only purpose is to serve as stumbling blocks for opposing teams.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Bumpage. Nylander had another poor performance tonight. He has really been in a rut lately and from reading today's GDT it seems like im not the only one whose annoyed at him. He got a mixed reaction when he was announced for the shootout.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:49 PM
DontStaal

ye i agree cartman... he played bad. I love his nifty moves and skating but he tends to turn the puck over, and in our own zone most times too.

and sometimes i just wish he would shoot.

and regarding the shootout:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Valley View Post
Surprised Nylander didn't try to pass.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:51 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post
ye i agree cartman... he played bad. I love his nifty moves and skating but he tends to turn the puck over, and in our own zone most times too.

and sometimes i just wish he would shoot.

and regarding the shootout:

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 04:53 PM
polako

he rescued the team a couple of times today when they were struggling to clear their own zone. He'd gain possesion of the puck and skate it all the way into the offensive zone, one time even setting up JJ beautifully in the slot, only to have JJ muff a pass to Isbister.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:29 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by polako View Post
he rescued the team a couple of times today when they were struggling to clear their own zone. He'd gain possesion of the puck and skate it all the way into the offensive zone, one time even setting up JJ beautifully in the slot, only to have JJ muff a pass to Isbister.
But he was horrible for the majority of the game, defensively. He was disinterested and lacked any type of jump to break up plays.

In a game like today that was played like a playoff game, you have to be very consious in the defensive zone and he wasn't.

It seemed whenever the Rangers were trapped in their own zone, the Jagr (Nylander) line was out there.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:39 PM
johnny_rudeboy

Nylander is what he is. We all know how he play and how he doesnt play. It isnt really anything to get upset about. He will have is periods when he score and set up goals for others and then he will have periods when that doesnt work and then he dont have much else to offer. He does what he is paid to do. To bad that there aint no one who can take his place but lets see what happens in the summer.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
NYROrtsFan

Exactly... We all know what we are getting with Nylander. Why do people still continue to bring up the same issues? He is what he is. He's also a good player so we should just live with that. There is no changing him at this point.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:22 PM
roxchipsi8

I think that nylander is a good player. He's one of our leading scorers, and that counts for something. The problem is that if he just changed his approach a little bit, he could be a great player. He seems to make bad decisions at times. For example, i can't even count how many times he jerks around the blue line instead of getting the puck deep and having that lead to a turnover and odd man rush. Additionally, he's got a great shot and can dangle his way into the high slot. Unfortunately, when he gets a shooting lane, he instead decides to drop the puck off to the point. The fact is he's putting up good numbers, but the frustrating part is that i feel he can be playing even better than he is.

roxchipsi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Chimp

As been said before, when he has such low salary, he's worth alot. You can hang him when he sucks and has a $5 million salary. He plays with small margins and has always done so. It looks really smooth when he's on and really bad when he's off. Nylander is Nylander and probably the best second line center in the league, especially money worth. Talking about dumping him is crazy.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
As been said before, when he has such low salary, he's worth alot. You can hang him when he sucks and has a $5 million salary. He plays with small margins and has always done so. It looks really smooth when he's on and really bad when he's off. Nylander is Nylander and probably the best second line center in the league, especially money worth. Talking about dumping him is crazy.
Too bad for the Rangers that the low salary positive ends this summer. Nylander has a player option for another year but it's dirt cheap considering his stats the last two years, something like $1.85-million. No way he re-ups at that rate. He's going to get a significant raise this summer, whether it's from Sather or someone else we don't know.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 07:39 PM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Just want him to shoot more, otherwise I really have no problem with him.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post
You get what you get with him. no shots, terrible ballerina spins, and a slowed down game. you also get one of the 5 best passers in the game.

good with the bad, and vice versa.
Yes I completely agree. Although I did have a problem with the two penalties he took in very bad spots tonight. Cant complain too much though, the Rangers won.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
Just want him to shoot more, otherwise I really have no problem with him.
when he shoots... he actually has a nice shot

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Weeeeekes

I think the whole team is trying to pass to much, and today the fans finally got on em with the Shoot The Puck chant.

Weeeeekes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
Onion Boy

Nylander is the best puckhandler on the Rangers by far...and one of the best in the whole league. Amazing vision on the ice.

Yes he may pass up some opportunities to shoot, but he usually creates those opportunities himself in the first. The fact is he doesn't have alot of confidence in his shot. You can tell that by how many open nets he misses.

The problem is the guys he's passing to (Jagr, Straka, Rozsival) aren't shooting either.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:45 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
This guy kills me when he passes the puck away when he's 2 ft from the goalie and not a stick on him. You can just tell he never has the mind frame to take the shot. I know he's here to set up Jagr, but one minded players like this are easy to predict and eventually contain. I wouldn't be all that upset if he was to not come back next season.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 04:14 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb3599 View Post
Nylander is the best puckhandler on the Rangers by far...and one of the best in the whole league. Amazing vision on the ice.

Yes he may pass up some opportunities to shoot, but he usually creates those opportunities himself in the first. The fact is he doesn't have alot of confidence in his shot. You can tell that by how many open nets he misses.

The problem is the guys he's passing to (Jagr, Straka, Rozsival) aren't shooting either.
Good post! I agree 100%.

I can understand the frustration people are having with Nylander, I didn't think he played well against either NYI or Car. Had a pretty big game against Pittsburgh though, the assist but also overall. Remember that Pittsburgh tied it with something like 14 minutes left, and we had no gas and no Jagr. Nylander really stepped it up and came extremely close to winning it in regulation for us when he set up Isbister. But overall he is defenitly in a down period. And I remember saying it back in 2004', when Nylander struggles, he really struggles.

Though, I feel like you about the whole passing shooting thing. The shoot the puck rants were great, it really paid off too, we had a heck of a PP after it. But, its a bit odd to make the playmaking center the main scapegoat for the lack of shooting on this team. Quite frankly, its not his job to shoot the puck. Everyone around him does it allot better then him, while he on the other hand passes the puck really well.

Though, in the end I guess it only will be a problem during this stretch when he are having a down period. Nobody complains when he sets up people and they score.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Most of the Rangers key players have stepped up their games-Matt Cullen,Petr Prucha,Karel Rachunek

Nylander is one of the few players who has regressed.Jagr has his myriad of issues.Shanahan has a concussion.Straka can barely play with a badly damaged shoulder.What is Nylander's problem?Nothing.Nylander's play with the Rangers is a by product of playing with Jagr.Nylander can still take those badly timed penalties and refuse to shoot the puck on another team next season as far as I am concerned

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:57 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrOck View Post
they should just give him a computer chair and let him spin on it for an hour prior to the game, so he can get it outta his system..

If we had anyone with any talent who thought shoot more than pass in the lineup right now, it wouldn't be a problem. When we have PP that spends over a minute in the offensive zone and doesn't even get a shot off, somebody needs a shoe to the ass. Nylander just happens to be the most guilty of never shooting, followed by Roszival.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote