HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Simon suspended for remainder of season and playoffs

Old
03-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Kvashinator12

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think you and some other people are have completely overblown the hit by Hollweg (surprise surprise, only Isles fans seem to think it was dirty). It was a borderline penalty to me and I see similar hits happen 10 times in every game. Hollweg plays a physical game but he's not a dirty player at heart and every Ranger fan knows that. Believe what you want though, It doesn't really matter anymore anyway. Simon got what he deserved
Not a dirty player? Hitting from behind every chance he gets isn't dirty? Im not even talking about the Simon hit, watching him today and yesterday he didn't throw one hit from the front...Today he blasted craig adams from behind. Yesterday I believe it was Orpik, then hits Malone without the puck...Hollweg is a fake tough guy who isn't tough,and i don't think any player in the league thinks he is either. A bunch of commentators while denouncing what Simon did also joined in the Hollweg does often hit from behind or late.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvashinator12 View Post
Not a dirty player? Hitting from behind every chance he gets isn't dirty? Im not even talking about the Simon hit, watching him today and yesterday he didn't throw one hit from the front...Today he blasted craig adams from behind. Yesterday I believe it was Orpik, then hits Malone without the puck...Hollweg is a fake tough guy who isn't tough,and i don't think any player in the league thinks he is either. A bunch of commentators while denouncing what Simon did also joined in the Hollweg does often hit from behind or late.
he didn't throw many hits from the front because players are aware of him and keep turning away from him when they move the puck. the Pittsburgh player (I don't remember who it was, don't think it was Orpik) turned into that hit, meaning it was no penalty.

Malone initiated the contact on Hollweg, and Hollweg brushed him aside.

he didn't hit Adams from behind, but it should have probably been a boarding penalty because of the distance from boards.

how is Hollweg a fake tough guy? you went on about it, but didn't qualify that statement at all.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Kvashinator12

Send a message via AIM to Kvashinator12
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
he didn't throw many hits from the front because players are aware of him and keep turning away from him when they move the puck. the Pittsburgh player (I don't remember who it was, don't think it was Orpik) turned into that hit, meaning it was no penalty.

Malone initiated the contact on Hollweg, and Hollweg brushed him aside.

he didn't hit Adams from behind, but it should have probably been a boarding penalty because of the distance from boards.

how is Hollweg a fake tough guy? you went on about it, but didn't qualify that statement at all.
The very definition of boarding isn't that requiring you facing the boards? So how would that not be a hit from the backside....Maybe i should clarify im not talking head driven into the boards from behind, but more of the boarding nature is his game...How is Hollweg a fake tough guy? He runs around in his nature, and when the bell calls do you think he would have fought Simon if he dropped the gloves? Sure he isn't a heavyweight, but guys like Steve Webb even answered the bell when called upon. Webb sucked at fighting, but backed up or in his case tried to with his fists.

Kvashinator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
How is Hollweg a fake tough guy? He runs around in his nature, and when the bell calls do you think he would have fought Simon if he dropped the gloves? Sure he isn't a heavyweight, but guys like Steve Webb even answered the bell when called upon. Webb sucked at fighting, but backed up or in his case tried to with his fists.
ARE YOU KIDDING?

Seriously, are you ****ing kidding?

Hollweg fights anyone who drops the gloves with him! He's had 12 fighting majors this year. I've never seen him duck a fight or anything else.

C'mon, man. You're one of the better Islanders posters. I chalk this up to you just not paying attention or something. The guy fights anyone who drops the gloves with him.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
The very definition of boarding isn't that requiring you facing the boards? So how would that not be a hit from the backside....Maybe i should clarify im not talking head driven into the boards from behind, but more of the boarding nature is his game
sorry, phrases like "Hitting from behind every chance he gets" and "from behind" make it seem like you're talking specifically about hitting from behind.

clearly, my bad.

Quote:
How is Hollweg a fake tough guy? He runs around in his nature, and when the bell calls do you think he would have fought Simon if he dropped the gloves? Sure he isn't a heavyweight, but guys like Steve Webb even answered the bell when called upon. Webb sucked at fighting, but backed up or in his case tried to with his fists.
would he have fought Simon? no of course not. only an idiot would give a rival team momentum with six minutes left in an important game like that. and he didn't need to "answer the bell" because he didn't do anything wrong.

and he's not the greatest fighter, but he will fight tough guys.

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
and he's not the greatest fighter, but he will fight tough guys.
And, 99% of the time, he's giving up 2 or 3 inches and 15-25 pounds to the other guy.

Seriously, Kvasha has no idea what he's talking about right now.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:52 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Hollweg is an all around physical guy, out of the 66 games he has played this season, he has 199 hits. And he doesn't get an impressive maount of ice time too. Watch the hit on Simon, Ryan damn near goes out of his way to make sure it was a hit from the side, not the back. AND he's smaller than half the guys he goes after.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Pizza

I have to say in all seriousness that this thread has the highest level brain melt down from non-Ranger fans that I have ever seen.

It's just hilariously funny.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:49 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
Getting driven head first into the boards can't paralyze or kill you?
Maybe if he didn't jump into the boards he won't have hit his head? Is he going to see Dr Karen Johnson? Is the injury career ending?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 05:50 AM
ATLANTARANGER*

Quote:
What do you call a player who uses his stick?

ATLANTARANGER* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:06 PM
bubba5

Quote:
So if someone is paralyzed or dies from one of Hollweg's patent hit from behind should he be suspended for at least 25 games?
The difference here, Islander fans, is checking is part of the game, hits from behind happen because the speed of the game. Simon used a weapon for his assault on Hollweg and I hope the police file charges against Simon, then you can keep his 25 game suspension.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
MrAlfie

the thread got deleted before i had a chance to write my response to it.
so here is what i have to say to that buccigross article:

Quote:
I understand people hate Hollweg for being a pest/hard hitter.
But lately its going way overboard.
The recent comments Im getting from certain Islanders-Fans and some hockeywriters even hockeypeople (Witt) is that he had it coming.
So they are basicly saying its his own fault and he deserved it.

So, does it mean Jarkko Ruutu, Sean Avery, Darcy Tucker and the likes deserve to get slashed with a stick to the face/throat and they deserve to have career ending, even life threatening injuries?
How silly and disgusting is that?
It makes me wanna puke into those peoples faces.

MrAlfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
dank

yeah, i just figured that the article didn't deserve its own thread and i was kind of tired of rehashing ugly and bitter things..

so i deleted it..

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
ish

Quote:
Hollweg is a fake tough guy? How many guys his size drop the gloves as much as he does? Sure, he doesn't win many but he'll go. Simon is the fakest tough guy of the last five years (OK, maybe along with Sandy McCarthy). More importantly, Hollweg (and just about every other player in the league) controls his emotions. I can't recall him ever costing us a game by taking a selfish retaliation penalty. Can't say the same about Simon.

ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 10:06 PM
lucky13
Iron Chic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER View Post
What do you call a player who uses his stick?
an AS****E......

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 12:46 PM
DutchShamrock

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.c...shirtbulletin/

At Simon's hearing:
Quote:
At least, so said Pierre Lebrun of the Canadian Press in this CBC TV clip -- "Part of that Islander argument was to bring out the victim in this case, Ryan Hollweg, who has a reputation of questionable hits."
From Nolan:
Quote:
Talking about Brendan Witt taking a dive to try to draw a penalty against Donald Brashear... "the only saving grace is that hit a real tough guy who didn't whine and complain and lay there like he was dead."
About Witt:
Quote:
Complaining about the lack of penalty to Brashear, he said, "The league won't do anything about that, when you get coldcocked like that." In fact, the league suspended Brashear for doing the same to Aaron Ward earlier this season. But there was a difference -- Brashear hit Ward on his way to the penalty box because of something Ward said, while Witt and Brashear got into it just after Brashear scored a goal, with Witt faking a punch to try to draw Brashear into hitting him and taking a penalty, which he did. "He mouthed off to me," Witt told Newsday. "So I faked to go at him and he suckered me."
Campbell's response:
Quote:
I saw the incident. Brendan Witt plays a role on the team where hes assigned to various players on certain teams. He gets into a number of situations. Last night, that was a fairly robust shift, and just before Brashear gave him the straight arm, Witt feigned at Brashear. So, what does he expect Brashear to do but lash out? It wasnt a sucker shot. I think a two-minute penalty was applicable in this case and was fine."

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2007, 01:09 PM
Cartman27

Send a message via AIM to Cartman27
Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy View Post
"Don't you realize that you're arguing with an Islanders fan? Have you been paying attention all week? You need to view the world through their special glasses to make sense of their language. These glasses show the world as it truly is. A world where the "review committee" in Toronto is actually made up of a bunch of demon voodoo priests sticking pins in little beanie islander dolls. A world where Chris Simon is a misunderstood puppy dog who, after Ryan Hollweg apparently ran over him with a zamboni with spiked bloody wheels, tried to give his attacker a hug and just missed due to his concussion. If you don't get those glasses on, you'll never see the world as it truly is."

This was posted by a Canadiens fan (I think) on a Simon thread over on the main board. I thought it was hilarious.

Cartman27 is offline   Reply With Quote