HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 News & Notes

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
I don't even think Alan May is that much of a "straight shooter" while on CSN. He'll say they played poorly, but doesn't really bust balls or call people out on CSN. He does that mostly when he's interviewed by other organizations (WTOP, RMNB, etc).

Old
04-30-2014, 10:38 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Alan May rocks. Can't remember someone on CSN that has had better accurate analyses.

05-05-2014, 03:35 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Again, I'm not advocating May for any job within the organization, but that is asinine reasoning.

Did we all know Alan May was going to be "The Straight Shooter" when he first started? Is it completely inconceivable that there is someone else capable of doing what he's doing, especially now that someone has already blazed that trail?
There haven't been many covering the Caps that have come close to May.

Mike Fornes but he got fired for it. Fay was great (RIP). Ken Beatrice was great...but Korhneiser stabbed him in the back.

The list is short in the decades I have followed the team so chances are slim.

Old
05-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
There haven't been many covering the Caps that have come close to May.

Mike Fornes but he got fired for it. Fay was great (RIP). Ken Beatrice was great...but Korhneiser stabbed him in the back.

The list is short in the decades I have followed the team so chances are slim.
I guess my point is, from a big picture perspective, who cares? Do I like listening to him? Absolutely. If there was a chance he could provide some valuable insights to the organization as a team employee, then I'll take my chances with a new guy in the studio.

Old
05-06-2014, 08:35 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
I guess my point is, from a big picture perspective, who cares? Do I like listening to him? Absolutely. If there was a chance he could provide some valuable insights to the organization as a team employee, then I'll take my chances with a new guy in the studio.
I watch both the pregame and post game shows so it matters to me. Thats part of the entertainment package. May not be a big deal for you and thats cool.

I'm glad guys like Kenny Albert, Jeff Rimmer and others have been replaced by these guys. It was unbearable at times to listen to them. Kenny Alberts PBP days were brief and for that I'm thankful.

Didn't like losing Lisa Hillary and Russ Thaler as it is.

Old
05-06-2014, 09:11 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
I watch both the pregame and post game shows so it matters to me. Thats part of the entertainment package. May not be a big deal for you and thats cool.

I'm glad guys like Kenny Albert, Jeff Rimmer and others have been replaced by these guys. It was unbearable at times to listen to them. Kenny Alberts PBP days were brief and for that I'm thankful.

Didn't like losing Lisa Hillary and Russ Thaler as it is.
Well, this is part of my point. You didn't like losing those guys, but they brought in a good replacement in May. It sounds like you're assuming the next person is going to be a dud. Sure, they're unlikely to do a Hulk impersonation after an OT playoff goal, but it's not a given that they'll be bad at the job.

You're right though. I never watch the pre-game show and rarely watch more than 5-10 minutes of the post-game show, but even if one watches both of them in their entirety, it is still less airtime than the actual game is I believe. I'd much rather be entertained by quality hockey than quality studio talent.

Old
05-06-2014, 09:27 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Well, this is part of my point. You didn't like losing those guys, but they brought in a good replacement in May. It sounds like you're assuming the next person is going to be a dud. Sure, they're unlikely to do a Hulk impersonation after an OT playoff goal, but it's not a given that they'll be bad at the job.

You're right though. I never watch the pre-game show and rarely watch more than 5-10 minutes of the post-game show, but even if one watches both of them in their entirety, it is still less airtime than the actual game is I believe. I'd much rather be entertained by quality hockey than quality studio talent.
They replaced Hillary with an expanded role for Sorenson (downgrade) and Thaler with Carlin (about even). May was there all along I believe.

I'd prefer to be entertained for an extra half hour before and after the game in addition to the game itself. They aren't mutually exclusive.

Old
05-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
They replaced Hillary with an expanded role for Sorenson (downgrade) and Thaler with Carlin (about even). May was there all along I believe.

I'd prefer to be entertained for an extra half hour before and after the game in addition to the game itself. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Well, durr. I thought the conversation was about the best single use of an insightful hockey mind.

Old
05-06-2014, 10:32 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

If the Caps can't find a more insightful mind than Alan May to fill a coaching position, they're in serious trouble.

Old
05-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If the Caps can't find a more insightful mind than Alan May to fill a coaching position, they're in serious trouble.
What has he said/done that makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious.

Old
05-06-2014, 12:46 PM
BobRouse

As far as the Caps coaching staff goes we really do need experienced people behind the bench who know what they are doing.

If our assistant coaches include May, Kolzig and Calle then I think we are in pretty big trouble.

Maybe May would be good in that capactiy? Maybe not...fact is he is unproven either way.

THIS Caps team does not need anymore rookies coaching them. Cassidy, Hanlon, BB, Hunter, Oates at best have mixed results all together and horrible results if we should take out BB.

I hope Gormley is wrong and delusional re: Gretzky+Messier

Old
05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
What has he said/done that makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious.
What has he said that made you think he would be a good coach?

I don't buy that analysts' skillset translates to a coaching skillset. Some people may be good at both, but plenty are much better at one or the other. I like Alan May at his current job, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he would be good as a coach. Figuring out what's not working tends to be easier than figuring out how to fix it, and communicating that to the players.

Old
05-06-2014, 01:40 PM
Stewie G
Because Chemistry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
What has he said that made you think he would be a good coach?

I don't buy that analysts' skillset translates to a coaching skillset. Some people may be good at both, but plenty are much better at one or the other. I like Alan May at his current job, but he hasn't done anything to make me think he would be good as a coach. Figuring out what's not working tends to be easier than figuring out how to fix it, and communicating that to the players.
I never said he'd be a good coach. I also never said his skillset would translate to coaching. I find it strange that you acknowledge that some people may be good at both, but somehow reach the conclusion that May wouldn't be one of those. I am still curious how you reached that conclusion.

Maybe BR and I have been talking past each other, but the only thing I've tried to communicate is in a general sense I think it would be ridiculous to exclude someone from consideration solely out of fear of a downgrade in TV analysis. Given the Caps specific situation, I said that they shouldn't hire May considering his lack of coaching experience.

Old
05-16-2014, 01:33 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Troy Brouwer, award nominee.

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks...d-win-an-emmy/

Old
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Emmy Award Winning Leader of Men.

I really hope this happens just for that.

Old
05-20-2014, 02:52 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Hey! The Caps #1 celebrity fan is in the news!

http://thevane.gawker.com/pat-sajak-...arah-hedgecock

Old
05-20-2014, 03:55 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1520
BTW that gif of the caps fans celebrating, the big burly walrus mustache guy in the green shirt - I saw him at Harris Teeter.

I refrained from doing the gif recreation. He is the number 1 caps celebrity. Unless Wayne comes on board. And then its his daughter.

Old
06-03-2014, 10:48 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Caps need a new Post beat writer.

Writes her best story...rolls out. I dig it.

Quote:
@kcarrera
After a fun and crazy four years covering the Caps, it’s time for something completely different. Thanks for reading and following along.
Edit: Appears they already have one. Alex something or other.

Whatever. Bye Katie! ...and your bum.

Old
06-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Wait...is the new guy NOT from Pennsylvania?

They can do that?

Old
06-03-2014, 10:56 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
The Costanza

Old
06-03-2014, 11:06 AM
HunterSThompson

For the twitters:
@alex_prewitt

Old
06-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Serial_Derecho

Send a message via Yahoo to Serial_Derecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Caps need a new Post beat writer.

Well damn. Finally get a reporter that has a backbone, and she leaves.

I guess if you going out, no better way than to leave with a tremendous article trashing the team management.

Old
06-03-2014, 11:41 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Derecho View Post
Well damn. Finally get a reporter that has a backbone, and she leaves.

I guess if you going out, no better way than to leave with a tremendous article trashing the team management.

Old
06-03-2014, 11:49 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Before her signing off tweet, her last tweet was from 5/27, one week ago. That's a long time to go with out posting on twitter if you are a reporter. Did she write any articles in the meantime?

Old
06-03-2014, 03:35 PM
Devil Dancer

Huh. I wonder if the famous management story was a challenge/tryout from WaPo management for her new assignment. Is she staying with the Post?

Closed Thread