HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A look at the habs remaining schedule

Old
03-11-2007, 05:07 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
A look at the habs remaining schedule

March 13th: vs Islanders

March 16th: @Penguins

March 17th: vs Leafs

March 20th: vs Bruins

March 22nd: @Bruins

March 24th: vs Caps

March 27th: vs Rangers

March 30th: @Ottawa

March 31st: vs Buffalo

April 3rd: vs Bruins

April 5th: @Rangers

April 7th: @Leafs

Home games to road games ratio is pretty much even.

You have to wonder if the bolded part on the sced will be the final nail in the coffin if the habs are still in the hunt at that point. That back to back looks scary... and it looks like the sens and sabres will still have something to play for at that time.

However, if the habs can somehow escape that part of the sced with a fighting chance for the playoffs, it can get very interesting as the habs play the rangers and the leafs.

On the other hand, if the habs are eliminated by April 1st, April 5th and 7th still look very intriguing as the habs can play spoilers.

Imagine if the leafs playoff fate rests in the hands of that final game of the season against the habs. If the habs cant make it, the next best thing for me would be to spoil the leaf hopes. So I'll be watching with keen interest right down to the wire regardless of the habs fate.

Personally, I cant see how the habs can come out of this with a playoff spot in hand.... However, I'll still be a sucker right up until it is mathematically impossible. I hope I'm wrong.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

a quick look at the other schedules of teams fighting for their playoff lives

Since I cant sleep, I decided to include the current point totals of the oppositions and make out an average.... (take it for what its worth)
Hurricanes:

Rangers 74
Panthers 71
Devils 92
Devils 92
Caps 60
Sharks 83
Leafs 75
Flyers 49
Lightning 82
Panthers 71
Lightning 82
Thrashers 82
Panthers 71

Avg Oppoent's Point Total = 75.7 points

NYR:[/B]

Canes 75
Sens 85
Thrashers 82
Bruins 69
Pens 84
Flyers 49
Bruins 69
Isles 78
Habs 74
Flyers 49
Leafs 75
Isles 78
Habs 74
Pens 84

Avg Opponent Point Total = 73.2 points

Toronto:

Lightning 82
Caps 60
Habs 74
Devils 92
Sabres 93
Sabres 93
(possible tough stretch? )
Canes 75
Thrashers 82
Pens 84
Rangers 74
Flyers 49
Isles 78
Habs 74

Avg Opponent Point total = 77.7 points

Montreal:

March 13th: vs Islanders 78

March 16th: @Penguins 84

March 17th: vs Leafs 75

March 20th: vs Bruins 69

March 22nd: @Bruins 69

March 24th: vs Caps 60

March 27th: vs Rangers 74

March 30th: @Ottawa 85

March 31st: vs Buffalo 93

April 3rd: vs Bruins 69

April 5th: @Rangers 74

April 7th: @Leafs 75

Avg Opponent Point Total = 75.4 points

Again, I know there are alot of flaws in the avg point total look, but I thought it would be interesting anyways.

I still think the canes will take that final spot. Will any team in the top 8 take a nosedive? I dunno

Panthers and Bruins are kinda lurking too but I didn't want to go through any more teams

Last edited by Hackett: 03-11-2007 at 05:52 AM.
Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 05:58 AM
GNick42

We'll go about 5-7, 4-8 over the final 123 games. I predict we finish with 84 points. Still above .500 with all the turmoil we've had this year

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
nas26

Good post! I agree that they're gonna finish somewhere around 85 points. All things considered, not a terrible year, but very frustrating to watch the way it has gone down. I honestly think that they are set up well for next year though. Lot's of young talent to fill vacant positions for less money, the chance to sign their own marquee guys, and maybe add a couple of free agents (laperierre IMO, not 'cause he is french, but 'cause he is tough, and a good top 4 D-man). Also wouldn't mind seeing them try and keep Bonk around at a reduced rate. That said, I am still hoping they can reel off the next 5 straight and sneak in. Not looking good however.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:05 PM
larek

Not a terrible year??
THis has been probably the worst fall ive ever seen A HAB Team Take
its BEEN a God Awfull YEar!!!!!
and you think HABS Are set up good for Next season?

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
nas26

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
Not a terrible year??
THis has been probably the worst fall ive ever seen A HAB Team Take
its BEEN a God Awfull YEar!!!!!
and you think HABS Are set up good for Next season?
No-one in their right mind expected Montreal to compete for tops in the division, let alone the conference, and 8th is pretty much about where they belong considering the personnel. We're not talking about Detriot/Ottawa/San Jose here. I agree that ending up where they have after such a great start is -----y, but they are an undertalented team with a rookie coach. And yeah, I do think they are set up well for next year, with young players getting better and flexibility under the cap.

nas26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 10:23 PM
Toro

We need to go at least 8 wins 4 loses to make the playoffs.

Probably will need to go 9 and 3 to take the 8th spot. As it looks now the islanders are in. The Islanders have acquired what they needed and are looking good. The rangers are the only team in my view that are catchable. So we have the rangers, carolina, toronto, and boston, Florida to fight with for the last spot.

WE need a complete turnaround of our boys. We need a winning streak!!!

Lets go habs

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2007, 11:48 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
We need to go at least 8 wins 4 loses to make the playoffs.

Probably will need to go 9 and 3 to take the 8th spot. As it looks now the islanders are in. The Islanders have acquired what they needed and are looking good. The rangers are the only team in my view that are catchable. So we have the rangers, carolina, toronto, and boston, Florida to fight with for the last spot.

WE need a complete turnaround of our boys. We need a winning streak!!!

Lets go habs

I say don't think like that, take a period at a time...and win every period...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
Licentia

What is so difficult about the Habs upcoming schedule? Only 3 of the games are against teams that are out of reach in the standings. Every other game is against teams that the Habs have been above all season. They play the Bruins 3 times? The Caps? The Rangers and Leafs twice? What is so hard about that? It could be Buffalo 3 times and New Jersey twice and Nashville! If this is too difficult a schedule then the Habs do not deserve to be in the playoffs! Truly this is as pathetically easy as anyone should reasonably expect.

Licentia is offline   Reply With Quote