HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lundqvist Named Player of the Week. Vezina? (merged)

Old
03-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Shadowrunner

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Lundqvist Named Player of the Week. Vezina? (merged)

As much as I've enjoyed Rangers hockey over the past several weeks, I think it's painfully obvious that without Henrik we'd be nowhere near 8th and looking up. And honestly, I don't think even Brodeur or Hasek would be able to pull off what he's been pulling off game in and game out since Xmas.

I watch him closely every game, and I realize that he has already become the best goalie to ever play for NYR. The stats and the records will come, barring some unforseen injuries (I'm biting my own tongue as I type this), but his talent and will to compete is remarkable.

Has there been a better goalie in the league since Xmas?

A case could be made for Nabokov, who's been on an absolute tear lately, but San Jose has a LOT more to offer their goalie in terms of defense and scoring support.

Hasek? He's been solid, but his W's and GAA are largely the Wings' overall excellence as a team.

Brodeur? Having another terrific year. However, much like Hasek, his team is doing half his job for him.

Kipper and Turco have been relatively inconsistent.

Luongo has been terrific as well with a mediocre squad, and I expect him to be a finalist, but he just isn't quite as good.

Honestly, I firmly believe that despite having a rough couple of months in the beginning of the season, Henrik deserves a very serious look for Vezina. I cannot think of another goalie who has been more crucial to his team's success.

Shadowrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Levitate

He doesn't have enough time to get his stats high enough to be considered, and that's the short of it.

If he had been playing like this all year, he'd definitely be in the running. But considering that his overall stats are "middle of the pack" at the moment, he's not going to get any consideration.

Others, like Broduer, will deservedly get the nominations.

Hopefully Lundqvist can put together an entire year of good play in 07-08 and be seriously considered

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:29 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
If he had been playing like this all year, he'd definitely be in the running. But considering that his overall stats are "middle of the pack" at the moment, he's not going to get any consideration.
Thats my take on the whole thing, had he been playing this well since day one of the season then he would be in serious contention, but like Levitate said since he is I think 12th in the league in GAA, I dont think he is going to get a look.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:34 PM
dank

I would like for him to get rexognition from the league et al, but the most important thing for him and our team is to know them/ourselves that he's been absolkutely insane over the past 3 mths. Like I wrote before, his GAA since Jan 11 (the game before that was a 5-goaler) has been 1.708. Very impressive.

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:37 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
As much as I've enjoyed Rangers hockey over the past several weeks, I think it's painfully obvious that without Henrik we'd be nowhere near 8th and looking up. And honestly, I don't think even Brodeur or Hasek would be able to pull off what he's been pulling off game in and game out since Xmas.

I watch him closely every game, and I realize that he has already become the best goalie to ever play for NYR. The stats and the records will come, barring some unforseen injuries (I'm biting my own tongue as I type this), but his talent and will to compete is remarkable.

Has there been a better goalie in the league since Xmas?

A case could be made for Nabokov, who's been on an absolute tear lately, but San Jose has a LOT more to offer their goalie in terms of defense and scoring support.

Hasek? He's been solid, but his W's and GAA are largely the Wings' overall excellence as a team.

Brodeur? Having another terrific year. However, much like Hasek, his team is doing half his job for him.

Kipper and Turco have been relatively inconsistent.

Luongo has been terrific as well with a mediocre squad, and I expect him to be a finalist, but he just isn't quite as good.

Honestly, I firmly believe that despite having a rough couple of months in the beginning of the season, Henrik deserves a very serious look for Vezina. I cannot think of another goalie who has been more crucial to his team's success.
I agree with one of your main points. I said before the year that he is the best Rangers goalie I've ever seen and barring injuries I expect him to amass the most accomplished career.

I understand that first he has to do it and that he has to become smarter about wandering from the net and the one hole in his game is staying too far back in certain situations that make him vulnerable to shots in the top corners. The same can be said for almost all of the other present day goalies.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:39 PM
Fletch

his problem...

is that he hasn't been consistent this season. There are others, like Brodeur, who have played at a high level since the puck dropped in October. Henke has come on in the New Year, but that was when almost 1/2 the season had already gone by. and while the Rangers would be nowhere near #8 right now without him, one can argue that they'd be more comfortable if he was playing better from October through January.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:42 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
is that he hasn't been consistent this season. There are others, like Brodeur, who have played at a high level since the puck dropped in October. Henke has come on in the New Year, but that was when almost 1/2 the season had already gone by. and while the Rangers would be nowhere near #8 right now without him, one can argue that they'd be more comfortable if he was playing better from October through January.
yep, that pretty much sums it up.

also, lets not forget just how bad the defense was at the beginning of the year. Renney told them to play more offense, and they just stopped playing Defense. NO goalie could withstand the barrage Henrik was getting early on in the year. it was like quality chance after quality chance, its tough to stop on an everyday basis.

lots of credit needs to go to Renney (who you know im not a fan of) for getting the entire team to start playing defense in front of Henrik.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:47 PM
wereback

He has a better chance at MVP than Vezina....tell me a player that is more important to his team?

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner View Post
And honestly, I don't think even Brodeur or Hasek would be able to pull off what he's been pulling off game in and game out since Xmas.
i beg to differ.... brodeur's done it all year long. that team's no where near the top w/out him.

brodeur's got vezina sewn up.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
He has a better chance at MVP than Vezina....tell me a player that is more important to his team?
Sidney Crosby has the MVP locked up imho.

the kids been...well, honestly except for his need to embellish and dive occasionally hes got a damn near flawless game.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
djavan

WOW!

this is a bit premature, yeah he's played very well of late, but doesn't come anywhere close to what brodeur has done this season... agree with earlier post, let's see if he can play better in the years to come

djavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 12:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Crosby and Marty.

03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

To be fair the Rangers as a TEAM have really raised the bar on defense. That can not be overlooked. They are playing smart sound D. Of course we could point to some mistakes but overall the team has been very sound on the backcheck and positioning, Something that was AWFUL earlier in the year. If they played like this all year Henrik would win the Vezina.

As it is, there are not enough games left for him to raise his stats to be #1, unless he were to have 10 shutouts down the stretch.

What is clear though is that Henrik Lundqvist is very likely to become an ELITE goaltender in the NHL, and that is GREAT news for the NY Rangers.

Who picked this guy again?

03-12-2007, 12:58 PM
wereback

If the Debs dont have Marty where do the finish the year?
It Pitt doesnt have Sid where do they finish the year?
If the Rags don't have Lundy where do they finish the year?

I think the Debs and Pens have enogh talent to carry them..the Rangers however i am not too sure....

wereback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:02 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Crosby and Marty.
absofreakinglutely

i'm sorry to break it to you guys.. but as much as i hate the man, brodeur has the vezina locked up.. check out his stats if you think he doesn't

and yeah there is just no way crosby does not get MVP this year

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:03 PM
in the hall

Quote:
If the Debs dont have Marty where do the finish the year?
It Pitt doesnt have Sid where do they finish the year?
If the Rags don't have Lundy where do they finish the year?

I think the Debs and Pens have enogh talent to carry them..the Rangers however i am not too sure....
we are barely in the playoffs to begin with.. that's not a good argument imo

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:11 PM
jerseydevil

Henrik is playing some fantastic hockey right now...but his numbers over the whole year are just too pedestrian to warrant Vezina consideration..He has been keeping the Rangers in every game despite some defensive lapses..and I think it's great for the NYC area to have all 3 local teams vying for playoff spots..

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:17 PM
GarretJoseph*

He has not been consistent this season. Unlike last year.

Next year he should be a top 3 and then we can push for him.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:33 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
There are others, like Brodeur, who have played at a high level since the puck dropped in October.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Brodeur has a bunch of shutouts along with six 4 goal games, four 5 goal games and two 6 goal games. How is that more consistent?

Overall Brodeur has had a better year but he also plays in front of a system that is probably the best clamp down in the NHL.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
I disagree wholeheartedly. Brodeur has a bunch of shutouts along with six 4 goal games, four 5 goal games and two 6 goal games. How is that more consistent?

Overall Brodeur has had a better year but he also plays in front of a system that is probably the best clamp down in the NHL.
Lundqvist has been great, but you have to give Marty all his due this year...12 shutouts and counting...that is amazing.

Much is said of the Devils and their team defense, but of all the recent Devil squads over the last 10 years:

Rafalski-White
Martin-Oduya
Lukowich-Greene/Hale

is NOT the most impressive defense they have boasted.

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Lundqvist has been great, but you have to give Marty all his due this year...12 shutouts and counting...that is amazing.

Much is said of the Devils and their team defense, but of all the recent Devil squads over the last 10 years:

Rafalski-White
Martin-Oduya
Lukowich-Greene/Hale

is NOT the most impressive defense they have boasted.
You forgot to the list the rest of the D-men on that team: Gionta, Pandolfo, Brylin, Madden, Rasmussen, etc....

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You forgot to the list the rest of the D-men on that team: Gionta, Pandolfo, Brylin, Madden, Rasmussen, etc....
He's had that or better for the last 10 years...give credit where it's due...he's putting up a career year in a slightly opened up offensive era...

And as much as everyone here complains about the defense (and Malik), this current Ranger team is playing the best team defense I've seen in 10+ years as well...

Last edited by frozenrubber: 03-12-2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: grammar
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Come on guys its gotta be marty, look at all those shut outs.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Roy G Biv*

Goalies having better seasons than Lundqvist:

Martin Brodeur
Roberto Luongo
Ray Emery
JS Guguere
Rick Dipietro
Mikka Kiprusoff

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I thought this was a thread about me

Seriously, Lundqvist has pretty underrated this season. People have been listing goalies ahead of him that Henrik is much better than in every goalie list. He has been simply amazing since the New Year. He has rarely let in a goal that has been his fault, usually its a fluke goal or a shot he had no chance on. He won't win the Vezina b/c of his slow start, but he has been a wall lately and he is this team's mvp.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote