HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vinny Lecavalier

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
Vinny and Hartnell on the same line? Akeson would quit the team and kill himself.
Maybe we should put Grossmann on that line then.

Old
05-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...bers-next-year

Interesting article and quotes from Vinny. Guy deserves another shot.

I believe in myself, Lecavalier said. I believe in what I can do. Ive gotten kind of a freak injury this year with the cracked vertebrae. Ive got crosschecked there about 500 times in my career if not more, and for some reason it cracks. Its not because of old age, you know what I mean?

I believe in what I can do. I missed 13 games. I believe I can bring [better] numbers for sure.
The league is getting faster and faster every year. It's not like next year he's magically going to become a faster/better skater. That's where most of the problems stem from.

He's slow, useless defensively, and his "specialty" is scoring from a stationary position. I'm thinking old age is catching up quick, I mean wasn't this dude in the NHL when he was 18?

The Flyers need to focus becoming a quicker team. Whether that's skating or puck moving, Vinny seems to excel at neither. I want him traded.

Old
05-06-2014, 12:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
What is he supposed to say? "I'm older now and my body is breaking down. Hopefully these injuries won't continue to pester me throughout my career. I don't skate as fast as I used to which really hurts what were my strengths on the ice when I was young."

Lightning fans came to our board when we first signed him saying we would be disappointed because he was slowing down and was injured frequently throughout the last couple of seasons. The dude sucks. Let's just move on and trade him for whatever turd sandwhich is coming our way and be done with it.
Exactly.. .I mean it is great he believes he can provide more but 5 more goals and 10 more assists isn't going to matter much if he is still slow and a defensive liability....

Old
05-06-2014, 01:56 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

In Lecav's defense he looked pretty good on the 2nd Line before the back and face injuries. You could definitely see the offensive explosiveness. He was skating fast as well. If he can return to health he should be an effective player. Thats a big if though right now.

Old
05-06-2014, 04:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
In Lecav's defense he looked pretty good on the 2nd Line before the back and face injuries. You could definitely see the offensive explosiveness. He was skating fast as well. If he can return to health he should be an effective player. Thats a big if though right now.
Why are people still bringing up the health crutch when in the article it stated health wasn't an issue when he came back from his injuries and that it was more the changes he had to adjust to and couldn't mainly because he is naturally not fleet of foot??

BTW my nickname for him is going to be Vinny LeCADAVERlier.....dude is a corpse out there anymore

Quote:
Lecavalier’s season started out OK, in the fall when the rest of the team was struggling. But things went downhill after he suffered a non-displaced fracture in his back in December.

When he returned from the injury, Lecavalier couldn’t get much going playing center on the team’s second line. Then, when he was moved to right wing and then left wing, he struggled even more. Finally, coach Craig Berube returned him to the middle, but on the fourth line. His minutes were cut significantly.

It wasn’t about any kind of lingering injury, though. Lecavalier felt fine; he just couldn’t get comfortable.

“It was really up and down,” he said. “Playing left wing was my first time and it definitely took 10-15 games to really just adjust to it. When I went back in the middle and I played with Hallsy (Adam Hall) and Rino (Zac Rinaldo), I came back with just being in the middle, I think I felt really good.

“I felt like I could not just stay on one side, but kind of skate around, get some more speed. I think we did good as a line.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...bers-next-year

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 05-06-2014 at 04:36 PM.
Old
05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Why are people still bringing up the health crutch when in the article it stated health wasn't an issue when he came back from his injuries and that it was more the changes he had to adjust to and couldn't mainly because he is naturally not fleet of foot??

BTW my nickname for him is going to be Vinny LeCADAVERlier.....dude is a corpse out there anymore
Maybe he was playing more tentatively after his back injury then because he was a different player after that. To me it was like night and day. According to Holmgren, Centers shouldnt have much problem adjusting to Wing. Wether they want to adjust is the issue.

Old
05-06-2014, 05:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I'm indifferent regarding VL. If they trade him, great. If not, I'm confident he can rebound to be more effective than he was after his injuries. He'll be overpaid still, but I can live with that.

Old
05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Maybe he was playing more tentatively after his back injury then because he was a different player after that. To me it was like night and day. According to Holmgren, Centers shouldnt have much problem adjusting to Wing. Wether they want to adjust is the issue.
Holmgren is being his usual dense self with that comment. I think even Meltzer disagreed with the general statement he made and commented how regardless of Holmgren's orthodox philosophy ...Briere and Carter showed how it's easier said than done.

Again...I'm sure Vinny wasn't exactly 100% but it sounds like it was more mental with him than physical as far as adjusting. The physical aspect comes in with respect to his lack of D prowess due to lack of speed which as Meltzer noted was never his strongpoint anyway...

Regardless....from Berube's statements it doesn't really sound like he endorses the guy too much or sees him as a fit in his system which is the crux of the issue despite the Cadaverlier's public pronouncements of confidence in his game. Obviously the guy has had a successful career and has some pride but as his years continue to advance and his game degrades...he'll have to become a realist and have his epiphany that he's becoming increasingly one-dimensional.

Old
05-07-2014, 05:39 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm indifferent regarding VL. If they trade him, great. If not, I'm confident he can rebound to be more effective than he was after his injuries. He'll be overpaid still, but I can live with that.
Me too.

They have a lot of depth at center but I'd rather see them trade a center to satisfy an actual need like fixing the defense or acquiring a better backup goalie than just for the sake of dumping Lecavalier. Someone would have to replace his production on the scoreboard and that someone may come with a similar cap-hit.

And maybe, just maybe, it would pay off to keep Lecavlier and stack Laughton in the AHL for year and have a capable callup in case injuries pile up. Right now they don't even have a borderline NHL player at the center position on the Phantoms roster and that's a main reason why their affiliate sucks that bad...

Old
05-07-2014, 08:31 AM
PhilaFlyers

http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-m...ll-may-7-2014/
Quote:
With Peter Laviolette now in Nashville, Friedman wonders if there’s a trade fit there for the Flyers involving Vincent Lecavalier. Laviolette apparently had a hand in bringing Lecavalier to Philadelphia. The Flyers would have to pick up part of Lecavalier’s salary...Predators GM David Poile once again says he’s not trading Shea Weber. Friedman thinks Poile believes the Predators stand a better chance of finding the scoring forward they crave with Weber in the lineup

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 05-07-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old
05-07-2014, 09:02 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

While I'm not suggesting they should or would do this, imagine if VL gets bought out for a second year in a row. That's the job I want to get. Bought out from a huge contract in TB, then from a big one in PHL, sign for like $1 million and play somewhere else. You're making some serious cheddar. I wish I could get bought out from my job (then find another job and get bought out from that one too).

Old
05-07-2014, 09:06 AM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
While I'm not suggesting they should or would do this, imagine if VL gets bought out for a second year in a row. That's the job I want to get. Bought out from a huge contract in TB, then from a big one in PHL, sign for like $1 million and play somewhere else. You're making some serious cheddar. I wish I could get bought out from my job (then find another job and get bought out from that one too).
http://capgeek.com/buyout-calculator...06&buyout_d=15

Wouldn't really make sense to buy him out. We'd be better off just riding out his contract.

Old
05-07-2014, 09:11 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

Wouldn't really make sense to buy him out. We'd be better off just riding out his contract.
I think he meant trading Vinny to a team that still has a CBO that would then buy him out for us. Nashville still has one, but if they're trading for Vinny, it's because they want him to play there.

Old
05-07-2014, 09:45 AM
Prongo
Beer

If I'm trading vinny to Nashville I am not retaining any salary. Next year he is due 6 million but then 4.5 , 3, and 3. They only have one higher year worth of salary, I'm sure they can manage

Old
05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I think he meant trading Vinny to a team that still has a CBO that would then buy him out for us. Nashville still has one, but if they're trading for Vinny, it's because they want him to play there.
I meant neither of those things. In fact I clearly stated that I was not suggesting they should or would do that. I was simply talking about from VL's perspective how sweet it would be to be getting paid from all these different teams.

Old
05-07-2014, 10:15 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If I'm trading vinny to Nashville I am not retaining any salary. Next year he is due 6 million but then 4.5 , 3, and 3. They only have one higher year worth of salary, I'm sure they can manage
Especially since they're trading us Shea Weber

05-07-2014, 04:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Later Vinny.....

Quote:
As the Flyers head into their first offseason with Hextall at the helm of hockey decisions, the new GM was asked about his plan to navigate the salary cap heading into next season.

Without divulging specifics, Hextall said the team may look to shed a few salaries in order to tweak the mix of players in the lineup.

"Theres a little bit of manipulation in every area where weve got to look at everything. Maybe we can shave a little bit off here and get a little bit lesser player, but open some space up. Again, someone else has got to be willing to deal. Well look at everything and well analyze, and well do everything we can to make the team stronger moving forward," said Hextall.

The Flyers will not immediately name a new assistant general manager to take Hextall's place. That decision may come at a future time and the candidate would be selected by Hextall.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...0YjGdw.twitter

Old
05-07-2014, 08:24 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
pretty sure the cbos are only for contracts signed before the new cba.

Old
05-07-2014, 11:38 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPerspective View Post
Later Vinny.....
I think Hex would be lucky to trade Vinny. Hartnell im sure still has a market. Grossman is another salary that some think should go.

Old
05-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Hartnell, Vinny, and Grossmann are contracts that could be shed that will not, imho, really damage the team to lose. I doubt it would change the talent level much.

Old
05-30-2014, 08:55 PM
Stizzle

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke 13m

Ferraro "I think Mike Richards is in danger of being bought out, for sure. Maybe he gets what happened to Lecavalier?"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke 12m

Ferraro "there were 20 teams that were talking to Lecavalier. Had they not watched him?"

Hope_Smoke @Hope_Smoke 11m

Ferraro "I remember Lecavalier walking from interview to interview with different teams last year and saying are these GMs high?"

Old
05-30-2014, 08:59 PM
MP92

Quote:

Ferraro "I think Mike Richards is in danger of being bought out, for sure. Maybe he gets what happened to Lecavalier?"

Ferraro "there were 20 teams that were talking to Lecavalier. Had they not watched him?"

Ferraro "I remember Lecavalier walking from interview to interview with different teams last year and saying are these GMs high?"
Vinny said that? Or Ferraro? The wording makes it sound like Vinny, though I can't see him insulting GM's who would be interested in him.

Old
05-30-2014, 09:11 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
Vinny said that? Or Ferraro? The wording makes it sound like Vinny, though I can't see him insulting GM's who would be interested in him.
Ferraro

Old
05-30-2014, 09:16 PM
hockeyfreak7

I really think there will be a market for Lecavalier. Won't get a lot for him, but I don't see him being a Flyer to start next season.

There are a few teams who can use an extra 20 goal center with excellent leadership and work ethic. 4.5m isn't exorbitant for that. He just doesn't fit here, that's all. His contract is not nearly as bad as people make it seem. That's only about 6% of the cap.

Old
05-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:

Ferraro thought that the GMs must have been high to have been bidding so high for the services of Lecavalier, whose play Ferraro felt was in noticeable decline.

Closed Thread